• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
we actually joked about dogs in the parks this year. We noticed a lot more over the past.

We were thinking a doggie BBB would be a huuuuge revenue draw. Dog grooming with princess skirts and vests

Respectfully, Kimpton does not have a weight guideline at all and they are a very successful high end brand. I have stayed in many of their locations across the country (with and without my dog) with only one minor barking issue very quickly resolved. Kimpton also does not have a specific policy as to the time a dog is allowed in the room.

I saw a post earlier about St. Bernards and I know it was probably mentioned in jest. I had to really think though, because in my 40 years I don't think I've ever even seen a St. Bernard (except in Peter Pan), let alone at a hotel.

Kimpton is far superior to the Disney chain in my opinion, and they seem to do fine with their lenient dog policy.
A St Bernard would be a one in a million and not even worth discussing. I have known a few. 1. one too big to tranport unlesd you have a huuge SUV with crate 2. FL weather simply too hot. These dogs are "alpine" dogs.

Service dogs vs regular

I've heard alot of "but there are service dogs at the parks"

Yes this is true but they are groomed more often than regular dogs so that they can do their job properly. sometimes they are groomed several times a day dependant on the breed

I have eczema and asthma my main problem is dog hair a well groomed dog has less hair e.g ive petted a labrador that needed brushing ( even tho it looked clean )and been covered in hives head to toe and petted one groomed regulally a small itch and that was it.

I feel dog hair being left around the resort is a big problem

The plot thickens and sadly....I think we look elsewhere to honeymoon. We'd been hoping to stay at YC, our favorite, but this policy and the already-seemingly abuse of it is turning us away.

Really? You would switch your whole honeymoon destination over this? There are lots of other nice hotels to stay in, some nicer than YC IMO.

I guess if it's a matter of principle!

I called reservations about my allergies to pet dander. I have standard rooms booked at the Yacht Club. The castmember told me dogs are only allowed in garden view and waterview rooms, not standard view. I havn't heard that on these boards so I'm alittle skeptical. In any case they said they notated on my reservations to have me in a room away from rooms with pets. We shall see what happens.
This has been mentioned several times on this thread. People have been told garden and water view rooms.

Yes, the flu came early this year. We had it, both of us were miserable for a week, sick for two, and my husband ended up with pneumonia.
I feel your pain. I got it in AUGUST! My coworkers and get vaccinated every October but last year's vaccine apparently didn't cover the strain that several of us contracted.

So glad your son's surgery went well. Prayers to you! My daughter fought stage four cancer for 3 and a half years, and during those years, we spent a ton of time together at Disney...with a WBC of 1(which is an extremely low white blood cell count/ extremely suppressed immune system). I always packed Lysol, hospital strength cleaning wipes, hand sanitizer, masks, and always avoided the crowds as much as possible. Bring sheets and blankets that you wouldn't mind leaving behind. You can put them on the bed, then throw them away when you check out. I think you should go and have fun...just remember there are germs everywhere. Not just from the dogs.
So sorry to hear about your daughter's battle with cancer! I cannot even imagine what you and your family have been through.
May I ask where you bought the hospital strength cleaning wipes? My mother is immunocompromised due to taking a biologic medication and we use Lysol wipes. If there's something better/stronger, I'd be interested in trying them.

I personally have no issue with dogs at Resorts. Keep them in their own building and make those rooms exclusive.
Make people pay.

Where I have issues are people with "emotional" dogs. IMO a load of crxp. I need my DH as emotional support. Can he fly, get in parks for free too?? This abuse is getting out if hand. Airlines have to now let these dogs onboard. With no seat requirement. Avoid paying for pet in crate as cargo, get an online cert. those against dogs in hotels ( exclusive rooms) need to first complain about our too generous ADA laws. A person who is told by a therapist to get a dog as "therapy" for the death of a spouse is IMO not a "medical or disability".

Sorry my vent as an airline employee.
Agree 10000%. I'm 100% FOR real, bona fide service animals (seeing eye, seizure alert, etc.) and agree that they should be allowed everywhere but this certified-by-Amazon (or other online certification mill) support dog issue drives me absolutely crazy.

Last edited:
I personally have no issue with dogs at Resorts. Keep them in their own building and make those rooms exclusive.
Make people pay.

Where I have issues are people with "emotional" dogs. IMO a load of crxp. I need my DH as emotional support. Can he fly, get in parks for free too?? This abuse is getting out if hand. Airlines have to now let these dogs onboard. With no seat requirement. Avoid paying for pet in crate as cargo, get an online cert. those against dogs in hotels ( exclusive rooms) need to first complain about our too generous ADA laws. A person who is told by a therapist to get a dog as "therapy" for the death of a spouse is IMO not a "medical or disability".

Not sure what you mean by “make people pay”? Pet owners are being charged per day to bring their pets just in case you missed that fact.

Your comment about emotional support dogs is disgusting. This is the reason people with emotional problems keep it to themselves because of horrible comments like the ones you have written above. Emotional disorders are REAL and your comments are rude and hurtful to those who suffer from these disorders.

Again, this is why I say “I like animals more than most humans”.

Agree but for many including my best friend their dog is their "child"
IMO...Isn't that a form of "emotional support"?

My DH went to Lowes yesterday to pick up light bulbs. A man came in with a dog on a leash (see dogs in Lowes all the time o_O). The dog preceded to lift a leg and piddle on a shelf full of Nest thermostats. DH had a few choice words and the guy just shrugged and walked away. You will see people like this more often than responsible pet owners at the resorts...imo.

Can we please keep the insults towards people who either have an emotional support animal whether you agree with their reason or not and those who have a much closer relationship with their pet than you think they should to a minimum?

Neither are actually constructive to this thread (though yeah a lot has been said that probably isn't constructive to this thread). There's been plenty of threads dedicated towards abuse on emotional support animals.

*Obviously you don't have to take my words for anything just posing a request*

So sorry to hear about your daughter's battle with cancer! I cannot even imagine what you and your family have been through.
May I ask where you bought the hospital strength cleaning wipes? My mother is immunocompromised due to taking a biologic medication and we use Lysol wipes. If there's something better/stronger, I'd be interested in trying them.
Thank you! Her oncologist and nurses were super awesome...everytime they knew that we were going to Disney(her happy place) they loaded us down with supplies to take...free of charge. Hot packs, wipes, blankets, masks, medical supplies for an emergency... anything that we needed, they gave us by the bag full. I do know of a medical supply website called advantagemedical.com that has some of the same supplies we used. The wipes are about $11 per container, which is not bad compared to the Clorox wipes. And prayers for your mother as well!

Make people pay.

I'm not trying to be rude or ugly to you, but I totally disagree. I know there are people who abuse any type of system when they can. But...the reason I am so happy about them allowing dogs is that my dog(my daughter's dog) has been an emotional support dog for me since she passed away from cancer several years ago. We loved going to Disney together, and I would love to take her(our) dog to Disney at least once in memory of her. I haven't spoken much of her sickness or passing here on the DIS because I don't want people to think I want sympathy, but the horrible comments about having dogs at a few resorts have pushed me over the edge. I don't get offended by much, but people are definitely too quick to judge.

I'm not trying to be rude or ugly to you, but I totally disagree. I know there are people who abuse any type of system when they can. But...the reason I am so happy about them allowing dogs is that my dog(my daughter's dog) has been an emotional support dog for me since she passed away from cancer several years ago. We loved going to Disney together, and I would love to take her(our) dog to Disney at least once in memory of her. I haven't spoken much of her sickness or passing here on the DIS because I don't want people to think I want sympathy, but the horrible comments about having dogs at a few resorts have pushed me over the edge. I don't get offended by much, but people are definitely too quick to judge.
I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope you get to make that trip with your dog in your daughter’s memory.

Really? You would switch your whole honeymoon destination over this? There are lots of other nice hotels to stay in, some nicer than YC IMO.

I guess if it's a matter of principle!

If it seems that Disney isn't enforcing the rules (keeping dogs in one specific area, banning them from public walkways like the Boardwalk), then you bet your life I'd change my entire honeymoon!

I hope you do get to take that trip with your dog and have an awesome time!

If it seems that Disney isn't enforcing the rules (keeping dogs in one specific area, banning them from public walkways like the Boardwalk), then you bet your life I'd change my entire honeymoon!
The problem is, the Cast Members aren't going to confront a guest. They don't want the hassle. And if you let them know there is a problem they are simply going to give you a couple of fast passes and tell you to contact someone else. For them, problem solved. Of course, for you, the dog is still barking his head off, walking around the food court or growling at everyone that passes by.

I don't blame you in the least for changing your plans.

Who's to say where someone's dog will sleep, I for one don't want to sleep in a dog's bed! We do not sleep in dog friendly hotels, and always thank the non-dog hotels for not allowing pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter