Transgender Gym Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a very unreasonable requirement. Some transgender women can never afford the surgery or choose not to have surgery for various reasons. That doesn't mean they aren't women.
Male genitalia and gonads, as well as a Y chromosome are exactly what makes them not women. Transgendered identity or not - they are NOT women.

The rule should be if you have a ***** you use mens locker room

Where does the complainer draw the line though? If she's threatened by a transgendered woman who appears masculine, what about a cis woman who has a masculine appearance? What about a lesbian who has a feminine appearance? What about the gym gossips with roving eyes just waiting to assess your flaws? :laughing: The only actions we can control in this world are our own. So if I'm the kind of person who worries about others looking at my body while I'm changing...I'll use a stall, and secure my own privacy.

I really hope this is one of those issues that will be unimaginable 40 or 50 years from now. The woman who originally complained appears to be in her 50s so I'm guessing she's had a great deal less education on matters of tolerance than my generation, and the generation after me. Whether her stance on the locker room changes or not, her complaint at least became a teachable moment.

Where does the complainer draw the line though? If she's threatened by a transgendered woman who appears masculine, what about a cis woman who has a masculine appearance? What about a lesbian who has a feminine appearance? What about the gym gossips with roving eyes just waiting to assess your flaws? :laughing: The only actions we can control in this world are our own.
I couldn't agree more. Any number of different types of people can make us feel uncomfortable, and if the only way for a person to feel comfortable about themselves is by excluding others, then there is a fine line indeed between this situation and trying to reinstitute "whites only" areas. As stated above if you are uncomfortable with ANY person around you, then the onus is on you to remedy that situation by voluntarily separating yourself out of that area. Especially if the policy of the business you are in at the time is to side against your discomfort...

So we should not draw the line anywhere? Should everyone just share one big dressing room?

I like the idea of individual stalls personally but I realize that not all facilities have those.

So we should not draw the line anywhere? Should everyone just share one big dressing room?

I like the idea of individual stalls personally but I realize that not all facilities have those.
But if your gym tells you that they're not going to draw a line, shouldn't you just go elsewhere?

Male genitalia and gonads, as well as a Y chromosome are exactly what makes them not women. Transgendered identity or not - they are NOT women.
Physical features are not all that goes into gender makeup.
There are men who have XXY chromosomes. Are they male or female? Some have breasts and very small penises. Some look "normal". Gender is more than what is between your legs.

The transphobia in this thread is quite alarming. Yikes.

Feeling like you were born in the wrong body is a pain most of us can never imagine. There's no reason to be hateful.

I don't think anyone is being hateful. If people have questions or concerns about something they should be able to express them without being called names.
It's entirely possible to understand someone who is transgender has a very tough road and also have concerns about things like privacy issues in locker rooms. How can people learn if they are afraid to ask questions?

I also think playing with the idea of being transgender is somewhat trendy in certain circles. I'm not talking about people who are making actual physical changes and working with doctors. It just seems that gender identity has become one of the new things younger people feel is cool to experiment with.

Last edited:
I think the woman is right in the fact that Planet Fitness should have the locker room policy in full view when people are signing up, that way people can choose to become a member, or find another gym that has a locker room policy they are comfortable with.
I also think PF was right to revoke her membership based on how she chose to inform other members.

I have been in a university residence that was co-ed, including the washroom and shower area. All the showers had stalls and no one seemed to have a problem.

Does she have a problem with lesbians? Does she know if this transgender woman is lesbian or straight? Why does assigned gender bother her more than self-defining gender and/or sexual orientation?

What about androgynous men or women, who still identify with their assigned sex? What if a slightly "masculine" looking woman was told to use the men's locker room? And who is the almighty being making this decision?
I see what you are saying. I don't know what the best solution really is. You don't want to say go to the locker opposite of the sex you are attracted to. Androgynous I would think stay with assigned sex. We are all used to masculine women and feminine looking men. Let them keep going where they always have gone . Trans persons are the issue. Gyms need to decide in advance a policy that is fair to the Trans person while also compassionate to somebody who may have never dealt with this before. I personally don't care but I would hold out some sympathy for somebody of my mother's generation who would be very uncomfortable if somebody she perceived to be male was in the women's dressing room. Work together on it.

Having a different opinion isn't being hateful.

I think it's important to understand that trans women are at a very high risk of violence from men. Trans women have been beaten and died at the hands of men far too often. So, people who say "I feel unsafe with a trans woman in the dressing room with me" (even though there is no evidence that this fear is valid) are putting their discomfort over other women's safety. That is hateful.

I am still confused, however. The most common arguments I hear against trans women in single gender facilities seem to fall into 2 categories. One is the idea that if we allow people who look like men into the women's bathroom, then men will be able to sneak in. But if we send everyone to the bathroom that matches their goods, then we'll still have people who look like men in the women's dressing or wash room. They'll just be trans men, as opposed to trans women. In fact, it would probably be easier for a man to disguise himself as a trans man vs a trans woman, since the latter would require that he put on women's clothing, style his hair in a feminine manner, etc . . . before entering the space. The other argument I hear is that people are uncomfortable with having others in the bathroom who may be attracted to them or look at them. I don't have data, but my guess is that there are at least as many straight trans men (that is, trans men who are attracted to women) as there lesbian trans women. So, having people use the dressing or wash room that matches their goods doesn't decrease the likelihood that you're sharing space with someone who is attracted to your gender.

Given all that, I don't actually think that people who say that what matters is what's inside the pants really mean they're OK with trans men in the ladies room. So, what are they OK with? My guess is that the answer is that they just want to harass trans individuals until they give up and stay home. Which, again, is a pretty hateful thing to wish for.

Replace transgender with black and see if some comments don't come across as hateful.

But this isn't about race, and there really is no comparison. This is about a person who is physically and appears to be a male in a changing room designated for women.

Replace transgender with black and see if some comments don't come across as hateful.
I disagree, but I've already stated my opinion clearly and I'm not going to argue with those just looking for a fight. I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter