Transgender Gym Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our YMCA does not allow little boys over the age of 5 to go into the women's dressing room but it's ok for grown men??????

It's not OK for grown men to use the woman's dressing room, but that's irrelevant, because this is about two women, one of whom happens to be trans. She shouldn't be using the men's dressing room any more than a 6 year old girl should be.

Last edited:
I have no issues with this. I would be fine with coed changing rooms. It's just skin.

I think it should be based on appearance. If you look like a man use the mens' room and vice versa. There is not perfect solution here. Our gym also has a family changing/shower area. I suppose that somebody who was having an issue could use this. No matter what we should all try to be nice to each other and calmer voices of reason should try to create solutions that make everybody as comfortable as possible. I'm a chunky middle aged woman. I tend to find a private space to change. I have noticed at our gym that our elderly women are very comfortable walking around naked, putting their feet up on a bench... You could definitely tell if they are male or female if you just didn't try really hard to avert your eyes, which by the way, is the polite thing to do in a gym anyway.

If this person looked like a male then how did the woman know that he was transgender? I know that I would be a bit surprised if someone that looked like a man walked in.

She wasn't asked the leave the gym for being a bit surprised. She was asked to leave the gym because after learning that she (not he, she) was transgender, and being clearly informed of the gym's policy, she continued to reveal personal information about this woman and badmouth the gym to other gym members.

What if was another woman? How would you know?

Exactly. Could very well be a female-to-male transgender who has not undergone gender reassignment, so has her female anatomy, but appears male in every external way. According to some posters in this thread it's what's in a person's underwear that determines which restroom they visit and not their identifying gender.

I was just looking at our Disney vacation photos and one of my kids pointed out that one of the princesses looked manly. Could be that Disney employs transgender princesses- and more power to them if they do!

Exactly. Could very well be a female-to-male transgender who has not undergone gender reassignment, so has her female anatomy, but appears male in every external way. According to some posters in this thread it's what's in a person's underwear that determines which restroom they visit and not their identifying gender.

I was just looking at our Disney vacation photos and one of my kids pointed out that one of the princesses looked manly. Could be that Disney employs transgender princesses- and more power to them if they do!

Or it could just be another women who is in to women.

At our HS, transgendered teens use the restroom/locker room for the sex they identify with.

At our schools they use the nurses office.

As long as they still have male parts attached they should use the mens room- have them removed then you can say you are a female.

As long as they still have male parts attached they should use the mens room- have them removed then you can say you are a female.

I think that's a very unreasonable requirement. Some transgender women can never afford the surgery or choose not to have surgery for various reasons. That doesn't mean they aren't women.

I think that's a very unreasonable requirement. Some transgender women can never afford the surgery or choose not to have surgery for various reasons. That doesn't mean they aren't women.
Or if they are young they may not be eligible for the surgery. It is also a process that can take years. Its not like cutting your hair. You don't wake up one day and think I'm going to change from male to female or vice versa.

I hate dressing/locker rooms. I change in the toilet or a private area. I don't want to see ANYONES junk. Male or female! I don't care whose in there. I practically walk in with my eyes closed anyway.

I think it should be based on appearance. If you look like a man use the mens' room and vice versa. There is not perfect solution here. Our gym also has a family changing/shower area. I suppose that somebody who was having an issue could use this. No matter what we should all try to be nice to each other and calmer voices of reason should try to create solutions that make everybody as comfortable as possible. I'm a chunky middle aged woman. I tend to find a private space to change. I have noticed at our gym that our elderly women are very comfortable walking around naked, putting their feet up on a bench... You could definitely tell if they are male or female if you just didn't try really hard to avert your eyes, which by the way, is the polite thing to do in a gym anyway.

What about androgynous men or women, who still identify with their assigned sex? What if a slightly "masculine" looking woman was told to use the men's locker room? And who is the almighty being making this decision?

For those who feel that locker room use should align with ones' "goods", so to speak, how would you feel if you were in the locker room and a bearded man in male clothing came in? Because there are certainly many trans men who look and live 100% as men but still have the "goods" they were born with.

This is where I don't understand the logic of "but men who are not trans women will sneak in". What's to stop a man from claiming he's a trans man, and coming into the ladies room, and if the answer is "nothing" why is that considered less of a risk?

In my town, people complain about anything and everything. However, regarding this issue, students don't care, residents don't care, parents don't care - transgendered students in the "wrong" gender rooms is a non-issue. Now, abundant pot holes - whole other story!

The rule should be if you have a ***** you use mens locker room

Does the reverse rule also apply? So, if you don't have one you use the women's?

Even if that means people who look and dress male, and have taken hormones that give them male muscles and strength, are using the women's . Are you good with that?

At our HS, transgendered teens use the restroom/locker room for the sex they identify with.

There was a transgender (boy to girl) kid who wanted to use the high school girls' locker room last year. The parents and girls were having none of it. This year the kid is back to being a boy. I don't think he's perv, just going through an identity crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter