TR - 5369 miles later! - Coast to Coast with a little Disney Magic

Sounds like such an amazing fun adventure! I can't wait to travel along with your trip report:)

These boards are very dangerous - every time someone plans a new trip I add somewhere to my wish list!

Hahaha, this is exactly what I thought Dabecs :lmao:

Ms. Shuttergirl said:
Hahaha, this is exactly what I thought Dabecs :lmao:

Well, thanks to you Shuttergirl I now have Quebec on my list! That list is getting longer every day... :rotfl:

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Andona - I just thought I should let you know how your travel plans have impacted our hosue :lmao:. I was telling my husband about your roadtrip itinerary and mentioned a few of the places you were planning on visiting. We have both decided we would absolutely love to do a similar road trip. Perhaps coast to coast like you with the details to be decided but so many of the places you listed would be on our list.

We would do this after the kids are off our hands, just the 2 of us. We think it would be a grand adventure, so many cool things to see. We think we'd love to add some really quirky "tourist spots" in for a giggle too.

I think perhaps this trip could be something we start planning as a "whew, the kids are off our hands" kind of holiday. :) We've got a few years yet but I think this would be something really nice to look forward to.

So, thanks Andona :thumbsup2

Andona - I just thought I should let you know how your travel plans have impacted our hosue :lmao:. I was telling my husband about your roadtrip itinerary and mentioned a few of the places you were planning on visiting. We have both decided we would absolutely love to do a similar road trip. Perhaps coast to coast like you with the details to be decided but so many of the places you listed would be on our list.

We would do this after the kids are off our hands, just the 2 of us. We think it would be a grand adventure, so many cool things to see. We think we'd love to add some really quirky "tourist spots" in for a giggle too.

Hey, happy to be of service!! :rotfl2:

If you're interested in quirky America you MUST check out this website - it is one of our major resources and is soooo good for a laugh and those "only in America!" comments :) http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

I've also purchased a couple of issues of American Road Magazine - http://www.americanroadmagazine.com/ I follow them on Twitter too and the things they come up with just make my bucket list longer and longer .

We're also looking forward to the time that we can travel without Ds - he's great company and we love him to bits - but it will be a lot cheaper when we don't have to feed him any more!! :lmao:

Andona

Oooooh thanks for those links. Can't wait to check them out.

I think it will be bittersweet once the kids are no longer travelling with us. I don't cope well with the kids growing up and becoming more independent etc. I wish they were still my little babies.

At the same time, I think it's important to also remember there will come a time when we will go back to being a couple once the kids are living their own wonderful lives and if I have something amazing like this to look forward to at the beginning of a new phase in our lives, I think it will make the transition easier.

By the time this trip comes around, using those websites you've shared, our "must do" list will be ridiculously long :lmao:

This trip sounds awesome. The Cooper's will be following along for this one for sure. Hope you take some video of this trip. What sort of Budget do you set for the Driving part not including the airfares?

This trip sounds awesome. The Cooper's will be following along for this one for sure. Hope you take some video of this trip. What sort of Budget do you set for the Driving part not including the airfares?

Tara - we are going to have sooooo much video! My DH has bought one of those car mounted cameras that go on the dash to record the whole thing - I wouldn't exepect any one to sit through that - unless they wanted to be brain-dead at the end of it! :rotfl2:

Just for the drive - We've prepaid $1100 for our rental car . It's a mid size SUV and we've rented it for 22 days. We will also have to pay a $500 one way charge when we collect it.
My DH has looked at the fuel economy figures for our type of car and checked out the average petrol prices along our route - he's budgeted about $700 for petrol.

We estimate our total budget for the trip to be about $16,000 to $18,000, that includes everything (accommodation, food, sightseeing costs etc etc) including our airfares of $4,800. We've booked a mix of accommodation - a few places we're going upmarket and paying extra ( WDW, Key West, Memphis, Las Vegas) but the rest of our hotels are mid range - Holiday Inns, Hampton Inns etc. That budget includes food , we tend to eat at the family chain restaurants like Applebees, Olive Garden etc for dinner, most of the hotels have free breakfast and we've paid for the Standard Disney dining plan at WDW.

We don't do a huge amount of shopping on our trips other than a few souvenirs and maybe the odd pair of shoes, sunglasses, jeans etc and gifts for people. My boys don't like to shop much so I don't really get the chance to hit the Outlet centres and go crazy :)

Hope that helps!

Andona

We'll be heading off tomorrow and I don't know if I'll get the chance to check into the DIS again SO I just wanted to say Bye-Bye :wave2: and THANKS for all the suggestions and chit-chat that make planning a big trip SO much fun :goodvibes :cool1:

I was monitoring Karen's flights this afternoon as she has the same flights as us, a day earlier. We both have a tightish connection in Auckland and I was worried for her when I saw her Sydney-Auckland flight was delayed...BUT I'm pretty sure they got there in time. She won't have had much time to stretch her legs though.

Shuttergirl, you should see my packing - it's a Tetris puzzle of Eagle Creek packing folders and cubes - so pretty :thumbsup2

Anyway - have fun at home (or on your trip - for the rest of the September crowd) , I'll catch you on the flip side ( I hope!) :lmao:

Andona

Have a safe trip!

Enjoy your trip & let us know what must see places you stumble across on your road trip.

Have a blast pixiedust: :beach:

Have an amazing time. I just read your itinerary and wow, so many places I want to go. Can't wait to hear all about it.

We'll be heading off tomorrow and I don't know if I'll get the chance to check into the DIS again SO I just wanted to say Bye-Bye :wave2: and THANKS for all the suggestions and chit-chat that make planning a big trip SO much fun :goodvibes :cool1:

I was monitoring Karen's flights this afternoon as she has the same flights as us, a day earlier. We both have a tightish connection in Auckland and I was worried for her when I saw her Sydney-Auckland flight was delayed...BUT I'm pretty sure they got there in time. She won't have had much time to stretch her legs though.

Shuttergirl, you should see my packing - it's a Tetris puzzle of Eagle Creek packing folders and cubes - so pretty :thumbsup2

Anyway - have fun at home (or on your trip - for the rest of the September crowd) , I'll catch you on the flip side ( I hope!) :lmao:

Andona

:rotfl2::rotfl2: - too funny about the puzzle of Eagle Creek stuff. I went on a 2 night stay somewhere a few months back and every single thing was in an Eagle Creek folder or cube. My daughter said I have a problem. And I said "if that's a problem, I don't want a repairman" :rotfl::rotfl:.

Your trip sounds so amazingly fabulous. Please take lots and lots of pics and if you get a minute to update us along the way that would be cool.

Have a blast Andona, see you when you get back.

I love a good eagle creek tetris puzzle. Its my idea of icd heaven :)

Have a wonderful trip - cant wait to hear all about it :)

Thanks everyone! We are currently in the cab on the way to the airport.

This is when I start to have a slight panic attack that I've left something behind!!l

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter