Too many gift cards!

Perhaps, BJ's will just deactivate them when they figure out their mistake and they will have a zero balance on them when they are redeemed.
They could but then they would need to let the OP know which ones are the good ones.

What ever you do....DOCUMENT...DOCUMENT...DOCUMENT ! Don't go to BJ's and just leave them there; get a receipt from the manager. Don't mail them back unless you pay for the tracking and signature. Even then you can't prove you sent GCs (could have been socks). USPS, FedEx and UPS don't insure for GCs; they view that as cash.

You've done more than enough to right their wrong. Just keep them.

Exactly correct. You know how that would end. You could get screwed by BJs if you turned them in and they failed to record the return correctly.

I suggest that you contact BJ's corporate office. Contact investor relations and make them aware that you are trying to return gift cards that were sent in addition to ones you ordered. This is not a small dollar mistake, so it would not be right to keep them.

Its not right for the customer to waste their time fixing a companies mistake. Any time I spent on the issue I would expect that BJs reimburse me for all my expenses and for my time at $100 per hour.

Its not right for the customer to waste their time fixing a companies mistake. Any time I spent on the issue I would expect that BJs reimburse me for all my expenses and for my time at $100 per hour.

Sorry, taking the time to contact corporate is not worth $100 per hour.

From some of the responses on this thread, it appears that some of you have never made a mistake.

OP, contact BJ's corporate.

Exactly. If you hired a lawyer to do this for you, it’d be easily triple that rate, plus expenses. I think $100/hr is lowball.

That is my point. They are getting off easily paying me $100 per hour to fix their mistakes. My lawyer would charge them far more.

Sorry, taking the time to contact corporate is not worth $100 per hour.

From some of the responses on this thread, it appears that some of you have never made a mistake.

OP, contact BJ's corporate.

My time costs my employer $160 per hour. I am willing to be easy on BJs and only charge them $100 per hour.

I've held onto GC's that were never supposed to lose any value only to learn a year later when I tried to use, that, in fact, they no longer had any money left on them. This has happened to me more than once. OP, I do not recommend that at all! You have done your part. If BJ's actually, somehow, puts the pieces together and comes after you for their mistake, be willing to pay up. Otherwise, enjoy! It was THEIR mistake!
OP, @LaurenT , how's it going with all this advise?

It's even less right for an individual or entity to profit from a company's mistake.

I take back everything discouraging and negative I posted (in this thread only! :))

Looking into the Massachusetts (where the gift cards were issued, no matter where the op actually lives) regulations, I found https://www.mass.gov/guides/a-massachusetts-consumer-guide-to-shopping-rights
  • If you receive merchandise you didn’t order or request, it’s yours to keep, so long as it clearly isn’t a delivery error (ie: it’s your neighbor’s package). Although you are not legally obligated, you may wish to notify the sender that you intend to keep the merchandise as a gift to avoid possible problems, such as the sender trying to bill you for the merchandise.
  • Gift cards purchased in Massachusetts are good for seven years and are not subject to any fees, including dormancy fees, as long as they are not backed by a federal bank (Visa or American Express gift cards are exempt from this rule.) Once you have used 90% of the cards' value, you may spend it or choose to take the remaining value in cash.
  • Gift Certificates must be clearly marked with an expiration date and issuance date, or have the dates available online or printed on the sales receipt. If the dates are not provided, the Gift Certificate is good forever.

On the other hand, I emailed bj's and lied about my connection to their customer. Their response is,
"Hi ,

Thank you for contacting BJ's Member Care.

We really do appreciate your honesty. Your cousin would be required to return the remaining gift cards unless they are wanting to keep the gift cards and we can charge for them. If they are wanting to return the gift card, this will be a bit of a process. Please provide me with the order number and how many gift cards that the Member had received. Once you provide me with that information, I will forward it to our Orders Team who will send someone out to pick them up. Thank you so much again for you honesty.

We appreciate your business, and look forward to seeing you soon!"

So, this conflicts with the law/recommendation. Up to you what to ultimately do, but since we are not actually related there's no way in the world they can find you through me. Well, except maybe chocolate. I might be coerced with lots and lots of really good chocolate.

Anyway, kidding aside, zero judgment. If you want the contact information, I can PM you.

In that case, Disney owes thousands of people , millions of dollars.

How many of us had the dining credits used wrong and had to go to guest services to get it fixed or all FPs disappeared and spent an hour with IT.

Two years ago, I had up graded tickets to AP which were then dated to the date PURCHASED. Didn't notice it until the next day. Manager at BLT said they were correct, DVC MS said they were incorrect, GS CM at MK said they were correct, finally manager at GS said they were incorrect and the tickets were fixed. At the $100 rate, Disney owes me for at least 3 hours.

To the OP, the last thing I would do is mail them back or give them away. I would put them in an envelope and put them in with other important papers in your home and just wait.

On the other hand, I emailed bj's and lied about my connection to their customer. Their response is,
"Hi ,

We really do appreciate your honesty. Your cousin would be required to return the remaining gift cards unless they are wanting to keep the gift cards and we can charge for them. If they are wanting to return the gift card, this will be a bit of a process. Please provide me with the order number and how many gift cards that the Member had received. Once you provide me with that information, I will forward it to our Orders Team who will send someone out to pick them up. Thank you so much again for you honesty.

So, this conflicts with the law/recommendation. Up to you what to ultimately do, but since we are not actually related there's no way in the world they can find you through me. Well, except maybe chocolate. I might be coerced with lots and lots of really good chocolate.

Anyway, kidding aside, zero judgment. If you want the contact information, I can PM you.

While the law may not state that this is true, wording to that effect might be in the membership agreement signed when you join the warehouse.

"Hi ,

So you really contacted a company about "your cousin" so you could report back to a message board on what they said? What do you plan to say when they follow up with you about the order number?

So strange....

I guess it does show that it’s much easier to contact someone from BJs by email rather than phone!

Funny...many years ago DH quit his job. Had an exit interview and everything. 2 weeks later, they direct deposited his paycheck. He called hr in his old company to tell them. 2 weeks later, they direct deposited another paycheck. DH called HR and his old manager and emailed them for proof that he called. 2 weeks later, they direct deposited another check. DH sent a certified letter to his old manager, HR, and the CFO of the company. 2 weeks later...yes! Another paycheck. DH wrote another letter to HR, old manager, CFO informing them that since they apparently meant this money as a gift, he would close his account in 2 weeks and keep the money. 2 weeks later he got another paycheck. We closed the account and kept the money. Sorry, my moral obligation has to end somewhere.

I had something kind of similar. Was working a retail job at the same department store as my Mom one year in college. Went on a Friday I was not working to grab my check and put it into the bank that day. There was a bbq lunch for employees, so I sat down there to eat lunch with my Mom and looked at my check (think I might have been getting a deposit ticket out to prep to take to the bank) and it was 3-4 times the normal amount. Showed my Mom and she agreed something was very wrong and checked her check which was right. So since HR and the assistant store managers were all there, I took my check over and said something seemed very off and it was way too much. They all stared in disbelief and said it was definitely wrong, and they had to take it back (made sense to me), but if I needed money right away they would figure out how much it should have been and then given me like 60% of it right away, but I was ok money wise. So a couple days later I found out I was not the only one with check issues and it was a small group of us that floated among the various departments. The one person (true adult with kids) confronted me for telling our checks were off (I only said mine, the company audit picked up the rest) and said she considered it a nice bonus from the company and felt she was owed that money. Yeah - no, I did the right thing and it would have been caught. I needed to have the option to return on school breaks and did not want to be put on a do not rehire list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter