• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

And then you read about women like Emily Potter who qualified for the Olympic Trials with 70-90% of her mileage with a double stroller - amazing!!!

@DopeyBadger Thanks for the thoughts about LT and Hansons. Can't believe you thought about it during your run. My brain seems to shut off.

This smells suspiciously like math...

1) Still my conclusion would be that as a participant ages and BQ time goes up it becomes "easier" or more likely that an individual will achieve a BQ. Interestingly for both men and women there's not really a linear progression but rather a jump in improvement for making a BQ at age 45-49 which then seems to mostly plateau until you die. :) Although statistically speaking once you get over age 65 or so, the n is probably too small to draw too many statistically valid conclusions.

2) Hmmm not sure what I would anticipate to be different with Grandma's results.

Based on this data, I'd assume Grandma doesn't run in her own marathon very often... :jester:

But seriously the most interesting thing in this data to me is the number of participants in each group.

Most participants...
  1. 25-29 female (never would've thought)
  2. 30-34 male
  3. 40-44 male
  4. 35-39 male (actually all of these male groups are essentially the same size)

Asked my DH about this a while back since he was a researcher for a bit of time, but forgot to write his response - similar thoughts as @ZellyB. He also posits that there may be a larger proportion of runners for fun with the younger people (such as Bay to Breakers) than with us older folks.

The large jump at 45-49 comes from the 10 minutes added on to the time from the previous age group instead of the normal 5.

Aha! That makes sense then that there's a jump. I just wonder why the decision to make that a 10 minute progression. Does that mean at age 45 they expect the wheels to really fall off? ;)

Using my extensive research based on a statistical population of one, the wheels do fall off at 45.

I'm better now than I was at 45, so I'd say they got it wrong. I think they fall off at y+something, where y is your current age. With good training and some luck, the "something" never reaches 0.

My very scientific conclusion about people in the 30-34 division having such a small percentage of qualyifing times is: WEDDINGS & BABIES
Ain't nobody got time for a 20 mile long run with a 1 year at home. Or you think you can do that 16 miler until the baby has a poop-splosion at home and your day gets away from you.
The jump in females at 35-39 and the drop in males of same age = "I can't take it anymore...you watch the kids, I'm going running, this is my hobby now, give me some peace and quiet"
Then at 40-49 both partners say "thank god so and so can get themselves dressed in the morning and feed themselves, let's go on a run together."

My scientific data is based 100% on a single source of myself and my projected future self.

You may think I am joking, but I actually think there's probably some truth to the above :)

Thanks for playing everyone! The original question when I ran this experiment for myself was "Since BQs are age and gender specific, was my time of 3:05 really that different than her 3:55? Whose time was harder to accomplish given our age/gender?"

I went into this question before collecting any data with two beliefs.

1) I thought that women's BQ times were easier than males based on the 30 minute time difference. Without looking at data I thought that a 30 minute gap seemed to be too much between genders and that males and females of equal abilities relative to their own gender was not at or greater than 30 minutes.

2) I thought that my BQ time of 3:05 was tougher mostly because only 1-2% of people who run a marathon can run a sub 3 hour marathon. Thus, my time was harder to achieve.

But this belief begged the question was my time harder to achieve because of the time, but was actually easier for me to achieve from a gender/age basis than someone else's BQ time based on their age/gender.

I think the data pretty clearly states that my original belief in 1 was false. The gap of the 30 minutes between BQ times from males/females is not only appropriate but very consistent in different age group and two different marathons. But the data from the Chicago marathon caught my eye when I put it together and I saw what @ZellyB and @FFigawi saw which was a huge jump at 45-49. That's when I decided to post it here. Because I wanted to see if not only you guys would also see this trend, but how you would explain it. I had two ideas when I put this together.

1) The jump is due to BQ times raising by 10 minutes at this point in time.
2) Motivation. People in the 45-59 age category are further in life and have different motivations than those in the younger age categories. People in these categories have had their kids, have more time, and could likely be seasoned vets from the last marathon boom prior to 2012.

I feel like you guys nailed it perfectly. Some pointed to item 1 and others to item 2. So to try and answer item 1, I altered the Chicago marathon results to cap at a similar % BQ and walaa we have our roughly 5 minute increments back. So this begs the question, why the jump in 10 minutes? What is the point of BQs? Is it to fairly set a time for each age/gender that is equally difficult in obtaining? Or is it to set a time that gives a roughly equal proportion of males and females from each different category? Why did they choose the BQ times they did?

And here we have the rationale!

From 1990-2002, the times were set by performance and almost identical to what we came up with from our 2014 Chicago experiment. They used the same rationale. Set the times based on equal difficulty of achieving that time based on gender and age based on past marathon performance of those divisions.

“The decision to adjust the standards was made after careful review of recent marathon performances in all age categories, and in response to discussions with many athletes who have competed at the marathon distance. The new standards represent more equitable requirements for all athletes. The new qualifying scheme has been refined to better accommodate the differences which naturally occur with the various age groups. First-class course security, unparalleled community and volunteer support, and state-of-the-art finish line systems enable us to allow many more athletes the opportunity to compete at Boston.” – Guy Morse, Race Director

But something changed in 2002, they upped the cap on the field size. So now they needed (or wanted) more participants. And where are they going to find more people willing to run the Boston Marathon, well those who have the desire and motivation to want to. Thus, they moved the time requirements for the 45-59 age groups up so they could accommodate more participants. They likely figured out this is where the most people were being left out who had the desire to run it.

"Rationale: The new qualifying times for runners 45-years and older reflected the B.A.A.’s ability and desire to accommodate more participants. For the 2003 race, the field size limit was set at 20,000 participants, an increase of 5,000 from the 2002 Boston Marathon. The adjustment in the qualifying times followed a review and analysis of performances across the sport. In addition, three new age groups were created."

Then they changed the BQ requirements in 2013 again.

AND GUESS WHAT I FOUND! The actual rationale and data used to make the new BQ times! Here's the data and paper! Based on the paper you can see how they came to the conclusion of lowering the standards for everyone down by 4 min and 1 second (because there is actually a 59 second buffer on the BQ time which hasn't been used yet because of the over qualifying of runners).

"As the number of qualified runners has increased, combined with greater demand to run the Boston Marathon, our new registration process enables those who qualify by the greatest amount of time to have the longest period to enter.” - Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Executive Director.

But this now begs the question for the future of BQ standards. The time was moved for 45-59 because they wanted to max the field in 2003. But in 2010 they got together to try and determine a new set of standards and unknowingly couldn't have predicted the running boom of 2012 and events of the 2013 Boston Marathon. Since the recent marathon running boom of 2012, the desire to run it and actually meet the standards has exceeded the field cap. This means they need to make a change and the likeliest place is the 45-59 age categories reverting back to the original time set by performance and not by maximizing the field based on the cap.

So, the original question was "Since BQs are age and gender specific, was my time of 3:05 really that different than her 3:55? Whose time was harder to accomplish given our age/gender?". The answer based on the data gathered by me, the BAA, and Smith et al.. My time is harder. Her time is easier only because they want more people of her gender/age to enter the Boston Marathon to fill the capacity.

This went WAY further than I though it would. It started with a simple question and ended with some advanced statistics! Fun!

And then you read about women like Emily Potter who qualified for the Olympic Trials with 70-90% of her mileage with a double stroller - amazing!!!

@DopeyBadger Thanks for the thoughts about LT and Hansons. Can't believe you thought about it during your run. My brain seems to shut off.

Some people are just amazing!

No problem! I'm the opposite. Typically when I'm running I'm not thinking about the current run. Typically, I'm thinking about everything else. And it's during those runs that I've has some my clearest moments of clarity. Like coming up with new ideas for my futuristic running/training gym.

1) Rooms with floors that are treadmills and walls that are projection screens. Simulates full immersion running. Including air movement. And the floor is up off the ground which can allow the floor to match the running location both uphill and downhill. And saved times from previous runs that allow you to plant a "ghost" version of yourself in your current run from your best effort previously. They would be in front, next to, or behind you based on today's workout.

2) Races with blind clocks and estimated finish time based on distance and current time. The clocks would be made similar to stop lights at 5 way stops (or angled 4 way stops) with the bars in the light to prevent sight lines when you shouldn't see them. Put this on a clock and allow people to go left to see the time and go right to not see the split time. But also include a second time clock that estimates current finishing time based on distance and current time. The clock would continuously update with your predicted finish time. You could even implement a real time screen at the mile splits that show people's names and current estimated finish time as they cross each split not based on gun time but chip time.

3) A track with RFID chips that track your runs, but also enable tv screens to move in front of you around the track. You get the track workout but with the tv in your upper sight line. Teaches you to keep your head up when running. The tracks the tvs are on would have to be able to pass each other as people pass others.

4) Training rooms with different conditions. Super sunny room. Super humid room. Super heated room. Super cold room. etc. All to maximize training.

5) Holographic projections of current place based on overall and age division in races. Now you can see what place you're in simply by looking over head of other runners. Is that guy in my division? What place am I in? Will I podium today?

I've got ideas if I were to ever win the lottery and have an excessive amount of money. Not saying I would do it, but boy would it be fun.

Every time I look at your posts I'm reminded of my favorite line from Back to the Future, "You'll have to forgive the crudeness of this model. I didn't have time to paint it or build it to scale."

To possibly add something to the earlier discussion, I would guess that the reason for the smaller percentage of qualifiers at younger ages certainly has something to do with the more strenuous qualifying standard; but I would also think it has something to do with a higher number of "one off" runners. I think that many people in the older age groups are more likely to be aware of and chasing after the qualifying standard than many in the younger age groups. I'm 34 and I didn't even realize achieving a BQ time was a thing until about a year ago. Now it's become a bit of a long-term goal and if I ever enter a Marathon outside of Disney it will be with the express purpose of trying for a BQ. It would be interesting to know how many runners entered each race for the primary purpose of achieving a BQ; that could shed some light on why the percentages differ.

Agreed!

I had a bit of an Inception moment this morning during my run... My mind wandered off and I started thinking about DopeyBadger running yesterday while coming up with that graph to address dis_or_dat's Hanson question.

When I run, my most complex thought process is something like this: on a warm humid morning, do I feel cooler when I wear a hat that I can reach down and soak with a lawn sprinkler or is it better to just be hatless? That's about as analytical as I get. I still don't know which I prefer. I know I prefer winter over summer... that's about it. Usually I'm just zoning out with some random Disney podcast that I can just as easily tune out as listen to.

I had a bit of an Inception moment this morning during my run... My mind wandered off and I started thinking about DopeyBadger running yesterday while coming up with that graph to address dis_or_dat's Hanson question.

When I run, my most complex thought process is something like this: on a warm humid morning, do I feel cooler when I wear a hat that I can reach down and soak with a lawn sprinkler or is it better to just be hatless? That's about as analytical as I get. I still don't know which I prefer. I know I prefer winter over summer... that's about it. Usually I'm just zoning out with some random Disney podcast that I can just as easily tune out as listen to.

My ultimate running goal really isn't a good PR or a long distance...it's the zoning out nirvana. So many thoughts in my head all the time that when I zone out it is magical. So I fully support your zone outs. I of course pick everything apart once I get home though and try to figure out how I got to the magical zone out phase.

I'd sign up for a membership to that gym!

Done and done! When I build it, you can have a free one year membership for being my first signee! ~Signed William Blaser 2016/08/16 :D

LOL! Now that's good. Does that mean on my next run I need to wander to think about you thinking about me running and coming up with my graph? I actually had a ton of other graphs I came up with in my mind that I just ran out of time last night to make. Specifically a physiological explanation of why run/walk works (specifically if LT is the limiting factor of running, then run/walk allows one to run faster during running segments with some recovery time to allow the Lacate to stay below the maximal threshold). For some people their clearance of Lactate and other fatigue by-products is better, thus they are a better run/walker and for others their clearance is not efficient, thus they are a better continuous runner. The question becomes by run/walking vs running are you receiving the same benefits of the workout since the relative %VO2max paces are different (run/walk = High + Low and run = Moderate). Does performing one type of workout over the other hinder long term gains because of the benefits gained using that method? Time for more running so I can keep the mind flowing. Oh, the thoughts...

My ultimate running goal really isn't a good PR or a long distance...it's the zoning out nirvana. So many thoughts in my head all the time that when I zone out it is magical. So I fully support your zone outs. I of course pick everything apart once I get home though and try to figure out how I got to the magical zone out phase.

Ahh, the elusive nirvana. :hippie:

44 Days to Go (Taking it to the Max)

Well it's the first of three max weeks. I'm taking the long run out to my max duration of 2.5 hours. Add this in with everything else and it makes for a heavy mileage and duration week (almost cresting at 10 hours of running). Let's see how the week went.

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

8/10/16 - W - Medicine Ball Workout (MBW)
8/11/16 - R - 1.5 miles @ 9:35 min/mile + 9 miles @ 7:33 min/mile + 1.5 miles @ 9:20 min/mile (6/9)
8/12/16 - F - 10 miles @ 9:11 min/mile (6/10)
8/13/16 - Sat - 10 miles @ 8:33 min/mile (9/10) + MBW
8/14/16 - Sun - 18 miles @ 8:13 min/mile (6/18)
8/15/16 - M - 8 miles @ 9:11 min/mile (7/8)
8/16/16 - T - 1.5 miles @ 9:30 min/mile + 4 x 1.5 mile @ 7:23 min/mile with 400m RI @ 9:24 min/mile + 1.5 miles @ 9:33 min/mile (4/4)

Total mileage = 68.5 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 37/58 (64%)

Well as predicted, Thursday was an early morning for me. Up at 3:15am and out the door by 3:45am. Because of the spooky creep a few weeks ago I continue to avoid the park in the early morning runs, thus I set my water at a neighbor's house. And again because it was a super early morning I was hyper aware until the sun rose high enough to give me some ambient light to work with. This again caused the first few intervals of the tempo to be below desired pace, but as the sun rose so did my paces. The T+D was 144, but it sure felt hotter than that. Seems like I may be de-acclimated to the heat since we've had more pleasant temps recently. In the end I hit 6/9 splits, with the last 5 all within desired pace. Success!

Friday was a planned early morning run because my wife worked late. But the weather was predicted to be thunderstorms in the early morning. I got up at 3:15 and checked the radar. Womp, Womp! It was raining with lightening. Thus, I headed back to bed with the hopes of figuring out a evening run plan. Woke up at 5:15 and checked the radar to see what actually happened and to me disgust, no rain occurred between 4-5:15... Ugh! Could have gotten the run in after all. Well my MIL offered to pick up my wife and thus I was in the clear to run in the evening. The run went well. And good news! The shin pain as all but completely dissipated. But now something new was happening, a tad bit of a tickle in the throat. Could this be an oncoming summer cold?!?! My daughter got sick from a kid's birthday party from the previous weekend so it was inevitable that I was to be next...

My wife had to work on Saturday which meant another early morning run for me. Up at 4am and out the door at 6am. The run was unremarkable. Hit 9/10 paces.

Sunday was the big one. We've finally reached the max of the long run, 2.5 hours and 18 miles. I was excited. I love the long run because it's the one run where I get to feel that "different" type of fatigue. It is after all why I like running the marathon. The goal was to finish in time to catch the Women's marathon live which started at 7:30am. Which meant I needed to start at 5am. Which meant I needed to get up at 3am to keep my same pre-race routine. Out the door on time and ready to go! Again, because of the pre-dawn start I carried my water to the neighbor's house. But because this run would venture into the time period when people would actually start waking up I decided I would have to move the water to the park once the sun rose. So the goal pace was 8:13. The first mile was a tad slow (partially because of the extra carrying distance for the water about 7 pounds worth including ice packs). Then the second mile got closer but still too slow (8:29). Then as running comfortably without changing pace and the third mile came in at 7:58. What the what??!? Way too fast for this early in the long run. So I consciously decided to slow down and shift gears back to try and get back to the 8:13 pace. Then hit the 4th mile at 8:30, and I was like great, now I'm too slow. It started to bother me like it does on race day. And that's when I said, stop, time for a hard reset. Keep running by effort and stop micro adjusting your pace. Then it was 8:10, 8:11, 8:11, 8:05, 8:11... Alright now we're talking. Back on pace. Then mile 10 was a 7:52. Decision time. Do I maintain effort, or do I maintain scheduled pace? I chose to go with effort. Hit the next few paces at around an 8:00 min/mile from mile 10 through 18. A nice strong comfortable finish. Very happy overall. This goes down as quite easily the most comfortable 18 mile (or 2.5 hr run) I have ever done. It was surprisingly easy. This workout served as another reminder, I need to ignore my pace overall and just let my effort continue to dictate training and races. I get so mentally frazzled when things go awry. And even better was that within 15 minutes of being home I literally felt no residual fatigue and was ready to conquer the day. And the best news was I walked through the door at 7:28am just in time to catch the entire women's marathon in its entirety. Hooray! It was a fun race to watch and proud of USA getting three in the top 10. And then as the day progressed, it became more and more apparent that a cold was coming...

Monday was an easy day and nothing remarkable happened. Oh except the fact that we were in full blown cold mode. Really... Hit 7/8 paces.

Tuesday was the strength workout. Unfortunately the cold hasn't gotten any better and if anything is worse today then yesterday. So much congestion and sneezing. I was afraid it would totally wreck the workout, but the goal was to overcome and ignore it. THAT WAS THE EASIEST STRENGTH WORKOUT EVER!!! Woot, Woot! Honestly, it was very easy and comfortable to hit the paces. It was necessary to pull back quite a bit to maintain pace. Even hit a period of the "zone" (or like to refer to it as the "it") on the third interval.

Overall, I'm pretty stoked. A new week PR of 69.5 miles which is outstanding. We're entering the danger zone, also known as the peak period. I need to be very cautious these next few weeks not to overextend myself. My training is very close to the maximum which means my abilities for this cycle are nearly topped out. If I push too hard in every workout, then I'll enter a zone of diminished returns. This is a fun place to be because running fast is easier right now. Everything is coming together very well. Only 6.5 weeks to go...

This workout served as another reminder, I need to ignore my pace overall and just let my effort continue to dictate training and races. I get so mentally frazzled when things go awry.

Definitely the best approach to things, but one word of caution - you still need to check your pace regularly at the beginning of the race. Tapering will make your average goal pace for the marathon seem very easy for the first 10-12 miles, presenting a large opportunity to run too fast because the effort isn't as hard. I've found that when racing, the marathon should feel easy for 10-12 miles, comfortable until 16-18, hard until ~22, and "hold on for dear life" for the last bit. If it's easy at the end, you could've gone faster.

Definitely the best approach to things, but one word of caution - you still need to check your pace regularly at the beginning of the race. Tapering will make your average goal pace for the marathon seem very easy for the first 10-12 miles, presenting a large opportunity to run too fast because the effort isn't as hard. I've found that when racing, the marathon should feel easy for 10-12 miles, comfortable until 16-18, hard until ~22, and "hold on for dear life" for the last bit. If it's easy at the end, you could've gone faster.

Absolutely agree. My mindset is the following. When I run the long run in training (18 miles), I memorize what mile 1 feels like. Generally, there is a bit of fatigue but the effort is low. That is my basis for the race. So, subtract 18 from 26.2 and I get 8 miles, which means for me all miles from 1-8 in the race must be at no more effort than what was needed to do the first mile of the 18 mile training run. When I hit mile 8, I should feel the same as when I ran mile 1 of the training run. Then after that push just a little bit, then a little bit more, and then start peaking around 19-23 miles, and then "Hold on" for the last miles. I definitely agree that those first few miles of the marathon are not where the marathon is won, but can easily be lost.

I'll add one other trick I like to use for the beginning of races: The Pac-Man Theory

To complete the Pac-Man Theory do the following:
-Line up with people in the starting gate of similar goal pace/finishing time. If there is a pace group even better.
-Memorize the faces of those around you, they are your "ghosts". Oh look there is Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde! (CLYDE, REALLY!!!)
-Line up on the side of the road at the 1/4 mark of the first turn. So if the first turn is to the left, then line up between the furthest left point and the middle (1/4 point). Or if the first turn is to the right, then line up between the furthest right point and the middle (3/4 point).
-Once the race starts, everyone should be passing you. Wait, what?!?! Yep, as Pac-Man you want to let all the little ghosts go and run away.
-Then after a few miles have passed you should be running the same pace as them (not because you sped up to be by them, but that at different locations on the race you are now going the same speed).
-Past the halfway mark is when you should start to see your friendly ghosts. Then eat one of the power pellets and...
-Chomp, Chomp, Chomp! Just keeping eating away at them all the way to the finish line!

My theory is the basis behind your advice. In general, most everyone in races starts too fast. They've tapered and are feeling good. So they tend to misjudge their effort and bust out of the gate with one of their best miles. Me and the ghosts have the same goal time. So if I know they're going too fast, and they're passing me, then I must be going close to the right pace at the beginning. Then slowly but surely I crank up the pace and catch them one by one to the end.

I implemented this strategy in the October 2015 Lakefront Marathon (same one I'm training for again). My training time was a 3:45. My PR at the time was a 4:20. I lined up next to the 3:40 pace group (next closest was 3:55). I memorized all of their faces. They went off and I went slower (which for granted was the right strategy anyways because they had a goal time 5 min faster than me). Then I clicked them away, and actually passed the 3:40 pace group at mile 21. I ended up finishing with a then PR of 3:38 and a massive PR improvement. In addition, I set in race PRs for the HM, 10K, and 5K during the second half of the race. I ran a 1:52 and 1:46 negative split. That race went down as one of my most strategically well executed races I've ever done. I hope to recapture that same strategy for this year's Lakefront.

Crash and Burn!!!

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 8.08.17 PM.png

Having a cold and T+D of 159 = Crash and Burn today. Had to decide whether to keep pushing after the 5th interval and decided to shut it down for the day. Just too hard to breathe.

However, prior to shutting it down I got challenged by a 7 year old girl on a bike with streamers. So, I said sure let's do it. Not going to turn down a challenge to a race. And then we started off and we were neck and neck. And then she started to pull ahead. And then she did the unthinkable... she said "Vroom, Vroom" as she pulled away. And then she started to taunt me as she pulled further away. It was HILARIOUS! Reached the finish line and she had the biggest smile on her face. Gave her a thumbs up and kept running. Put a big smile on my face as well. Probably a contributing factor to my shutting it down later in the run, but honestly it was worth it to help make her day. :P Any time girl, I'll get my revenge eventually. :D

Agreed. If I were to guess, it felt like this (old run data):

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 6.13.42 AM.png

Because I was putting in the same effort level for interval 8-12 and yet the pace kept dropping. My guess is that my HR was staying consistent even though the pace continued to drop. The HR wasn't terribly high today though because when the happens I can typically feel it in my ears and mouth. But agreed, it would have been nice to see the real data.

The biggest factor in deciding to shut it down completely was the lack of being able to breathe. My nose was congested and then it was interfering with my breathing through my mouth. There were a few moments where I tried to clear the mucus by hacking it up and then was in a moment where I couldn't breathe. Once I finally slowed down it improved. And I blew my nose out and have never seen so much liquid in my life come from my nose. Disgusting I know. Although even with the cold being the biggest factor, the HR, heat, too fast WU, too fast 1st interval and mid-challenge race all played their roles as well.

:rotfl2:

So, a seven year old girl was the last straw and kicked your butt.

Oh for sure! She's been eyeing me up these last couple of weeks trying to stick with me and pace me. Yesterday, she finally got the courage to challenge me. So I gave her that opportunity, and she crushed me. She seemed elated! But it caused me to push a little too hard in the middle of a tempo run, and was very likely the last straw. :D

I'm jumping back a few posts up your thread...but if you build that crazy immersive gym one day, can you include a setting where I can run on a lane with the elite runners in the Olympics? I mean...they'd smoke me but I'd still enjoy lining up with them and seeing how badly I get beaten :)

Congrats on running 18 miles comfortably. I can't wrap my brain around that, but I am impressed!

PacMan chomping is totally a fun thing to do! It's harder to pick specific people at the start when you are at huge races...but I still pick people out during the race and use the same strategy. I love that my Flying Pig 10k finish line pic has me in front of my Pinky...who I just edged out at the end.

That story with the little girl on the bike is hilarious. Maybe you should run with streamers to make you faster?

FEEL BETTER!!!

I'm jumping back a few posts up your thread...but if you build that crazy immersive gym one day, can you include a setting where I can run on a lane with the elite runners in the Olympics? I mean...they'd smoke me but I'd still enjoy lining up with them and seeing how badly I get beaten :)

Do you want holographic olympic athletes or do I need to pay real ones to come over? No idea which would actually be more expensive.

Congrats on running 18 miles comfortably. I can't wrap my brain around that, but I am impressed!

Thanks! You'll get there if you want to. Think of it this way. 6 miles was your goal distance. You built up for weeks to get there. Now you do 6 mile training runs. Same thing just on a different scale. You do enough mileage around those other days and it makes those days seem easier.

PacMan chomping is totally a fun thing to do! It's harder to pick specific people at the start when you are at huge races...but I still pick people out during the race and use the same strategy. I love that my Flying Pig 10k finish line pic has me in front of my Pinky...who I just edged out at the end.

Chomp! Chomp!

That story with the little girl on the bike is hilarious. Maybe you should run with streamers to make you faster?

I knew it was a risk to try and run a mid-challenge race. But honestly, how big of a jerk would I have been to say no? She'd clearly been wanting to challenge me and now she finally asked. If I said no, it wouldn't have been very nice. And she likely never would have asked me again. This way I lose a little bit from not being able to do my run, but it was definitely more valuable to her to be able to race me.

Great idea! If I see her again, I'll have to make sure to have streamers as well. She'll be so stunned she won't know what to do.

FEEL BETTER!!!

Thanks! Getting there but not completely gone yet.

6 weeks to go...
3 weeks to get better...
New weekly mileage PR of 70.93 miles! :dogdance:
New weekly time spent running PR of 10 hours 5 minutes! :banana:

Lakefront Marathon...

Just finished the "Spirit of the Marathon" movie. All I can say is it should be required viewing for everyone interested in running a marathon. It's a documentary that follows different runners as they prepare for the 2005 Chicago Marathon. It follows elites, BQ'ers, first timers, and back of the pack'ers. Great, great movie and very motivating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter