Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a tip added to you bill for this? on the dining plan thank you

The only counter service that has a gratuity added to the bill (if you dine in the restaurant) is Pepper Market at Coronado Springs Resort. The gratuity added to the bill is 10% based on your pre-tax total.

Didn't make it through the whole thread.

Tipping cash, do you just leave it on the table? That's what we generally do, but I imagine it is busier and more hectic for folks working at Disney. Or do folks put the cash tip in the little folder with the bill when they send the CC? Or perhaps, in the little folder after getting a receipt?

I suppose in the folder after getting the receipt. I didn't think of that until I wrote it above. We don't usually eat at places that give your bill in a folder as we mostly eat at small family restaurants living out in the middle of nowhere.

We always leave it in the folder they put the bill in but if there is any cash in it we personally wait and hand it to our server. I would feel terrible if someone saw us leaving cash in it or on the table and causally walked buy and piceked it up-yes it can happen even at Disney.

Ok I just read from the beginning and want to make sure I have it straight, if I go to San Angel Inn and I get charged x dollars and I want to leave y tip if I give them my dinning pass they will charge it to my room if I do not cross out the tip section? I prefer to give them cash, just me feeling the server likes it better. I saw something like this else where but was a little confused.

What we do is make sure one of our room keys has no charging on it. We hand that to our server and inform them that the tip and appatizers we will be paying by cash or credit card which ever we happen to be using. Have never had an issue that way.

Bug

Hi, I have a question. I am planning a trip and will be making an ADR for CRT. Does the price since it is 2 table credits include gratuity or is that another table service meal I should budget in the 18%-20%? THanks so much.

Hi, I have a question. I am planning a trip and will be making an ADR for CRT. Does the price since it is 2 table credits include gratuity or is that another table service meal I should budget in the 18%-20%? THanks so much.

CRT, when paying OOP does not include the gratuity and you should budget whatever percentage you feel is fair.

If you are using the DDP, then gratuity is included, so there is no need to budget anything additional.

CRT, when paying OOP does not include the gratuity and you should budget whatever percentage you feel is fair.

If you are using the DDP, then gratuity is included, so there is no need to budget anything additional.

Thank you so much! That's what I was wondering!

That is incorrect.
CRT includes the tip in the price, whether you pay OOP or with the dining plan. As does the dinner shows.
Unless it has change very recently. But it has been that way for sometime now, including our last trip.

That is incorrect.
CRT includes the tip in the price, whether you pay OOP or with the dining plan. As does the dinner shows.
Unless it has change very recently. But it has been that way for sometime now, including our last trip.

:confused3 I was going off from the Disney website. (Granted they aren't noted for being up on their IT)

It says on the CRT page http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cinderellas-royal-table/

Price range based on average Guest check, not including alcohol, tax and tip

It's definitely a standard disclaimer, because it mentions alcohol, but I'd definitely have planned on paying a gratuity when I went there.

ETA - Ah ha! I see it!!

Went to pretend to book CRT, and you are charged your gratuity when you make your reservation and pre-pay. It looks like percentage wise it averages out to just a bit more than 15% figured as gratuity.

When I went to check out (for four adults)
Sub Total $179.88
Tax $11.76
Gratuity $27.40
Total $219.04
Total Due Today$219.04

So you will pay for gratuity, and that is paid at the time you make your reservation. When you go to the restaurant, nothing additional is due.

If you are on the Dining Plan, credits will pay for your meal (including gratuity)

I think what I've gathered is correct, but please help....

We will be traveling as a party of 6, and on one DDP. DH and I will be paying for our share of tips with a gift card, as will my parents. Do we just need to ask for 2 separate checks, and then each will show the 18% for our respective portions of the bill? It seems easiest this way, so hopefully I'm thinking right.

I think what I've gathered is correct, but please help....

We will be traveling as a party of 6, and on one DDP. DH and I will be paying for our share of tips with a gift card, as will my parents. Do we just need to ask for 2 separate checks, and then each will show the 18% for our respective portions of the bill? It seems easiest this way, so hopefully I'm thinking right.

You understand how it works perfectly.

:confused3 I was going off from the Disney website. (Granted they aren't noted for being up on their IT)

It says on the CRT page http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cinderellas-royal-table/

It's definitely a standard disclaimer, because it mentions alcohol, but I'd definitely have planned on paying a gratuity when I went there.

ETA - Ah ha! I see it!!

Went to pretend to book CRT, and you are charged your gratuity when you make your reservation and pre-pay. It looks like percentage wise it averages out to just a bit more than 15% figured as gratuity.

When I went to check out (for four adults)
Sub Total $179.88
Tax $11.76
Gratuity $27.40
Total $219.04
Total Due Today$219.04

So you will pay for gratuity, and that is paid at the time you make your reservation. When you go to the restaurant, nothing additional is due.

If you are on the Dining Plan, credits will pay for your meal (including gratuity)

I am soooooooo glad that I read this. I know that our trip this past December that we left a cash tip on the table at CRT and the Hoop Dee Doo. We will be there again (9/29-10/6) for our daughter's 5th birthday. I can use the money originally set aside for the tip for another b-day gift. Thanks! :yay:

Can the automatice 18% tip added when using the tables in wonderland card be paid in cash if the bill is paid by credit card or gift card? TIA

Does anyone know how Restaurant.com certificates are calculated with the automatic 18% gratuity?

We have TIW, so I know how the discount, tax and gratuity is calculated with that, but I'm not sure how Restaurant.com certificates are calculated?

Here are the prices for us for a buffet:

I am looking at a 25.00 certificate, but not sure how that would be applied with the 18% gratuity and tax?

Thanks so much, Tiger

Does anyone know how Restaurant.com certificates are calculated with the automatic 18% gratuity?

We have TIW, so I know how the discount, tax and gratuity is calculated with that, but I'm not sure how Restaurant.com certificates are calculated?

Here are the prices for us for a buffet:

I am looking at a 25.00 certificate, but not sure how that would be applied with the 18% gratuity and tax?

Thanks so much, Tiger

Restuarant.com has gift certificates for Disney? Never heard of that.

As for tip. Tip is figured on your total amount. Not including discounts. So before any discount is applied is what the tip is figured at.

Restaurant.com does have $25 gift certificates for Disney's Garden Grove.

When you order the $25 gift certificate (your price $10), it says right below it...

Minimum 2 entrees. 18% Gratuity added prior to discount. Valid for Dinner ONLY. One certificate per table..

Not sure where the tipping question comes in since gratuity is noted on Restaurant.com

Your bill will work out something like this:

+Meal Total
+18% of Meal Total for Gratuity
-Tables in Wonderland Discount (If these discounts can be stacked - I'd check with TiWs TOS before assuming they can)
+Tax on subtotal after TiW discount (if applicable)
-$25 Gift Certificate

Equals = Balance you owe

When you order the $25 gift certificate (your price $10), it says right below it...

Not sure where the tipping question comes in since gratuity is noted on Restaurant.com

+Meal Total
-Tables in Wonderland Discount (If these discounts can be stacked - I'd check with TiWs TOS before assuming they can)
-$25 Gift Certificate

Equals = Balance you owe

Thanks. I know you can't stack discounts, but I was wondering about the 18% gratuity, as the wording made it sound just like TIW card, but I wasn't sure as we've never used them before, so I assumed it would be just like TIW and the gratuity would automatically show on the receipt. I'm not sure if the $25.00 would come off at the end like cash, or is it taken off before gratuity is added, so that's why I posted. Hubby and I went to a restaurant once where they did it this way (took the coupon before gratuity was added), so I wasn't sure since the certificates specifically mention that they are adding gratuity.

Thanks for the info, Tiger :)

+Meal Total
-$25 Gift Certificate

Equals = Balance you owe

I used one fo these gift certificates locally and they calculated tip on TOTAL bill including tax. They say that is part of the deal. Right, wrong, no :confused3 idea not worth more than a simple query

I used one fo these gift certificates locally and they calculated tip on TOTAL bill including tax. They say that is part of the deal. Right, wrong, no :confused3 idea not worth more than a simple query

This is why I asked this question on this board - this happened to us before too. It makes a difference when comparing between two discounts to see which is better...

I wonder what the right procedure is for these types of promos with a mandatory gratuity like this one?

It looks like as Canadians we can't order Restaurant.com certificates anyway, but it's good to know if at some point they allow us to order from them.

Tiger

Hmm, I wonder if that's a restaurant specific thing though too? Sometimes restaurants calculate grat on top of tax, but I know that Disney isn't generally set up that way.

If it's a make it or break it question for anyone, your best bet is to probably call the restaurant directly and ask for a manager.

Hi there. I just stumbled across this thread and I have to admit I didn't read all 8 pages. I just wanted to recommend a tool I like to use to figure out tips. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch download the Check Please app. It's free. It allows you to not only figure out the tip at any percentage, but also how to split the check and the tip up in a variety of ways. There is also a feature to round up. Just wanted to post a hopefully helpful tip. Link below:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/checkplease-lite-tip-calculator/id284974421?mt=8

Geez... now I do need to read the FAQ about Disney tipping b/c USA custom is wide different from Brazil and I don't want to seem ungratefull :eek:to the CM on the CS/TS we got in our free DP... and so I do need to make some :headache: 'in cash' reserves. Thanks DISboards!
*heading back to the first post to the link FAQ*

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter