Tip Envelopes

For those of you who are placing cash inside the envelopes, is it because you:

a) don't trust DCL to give them the added tip amount done via Guest Services or
b) don't want to wait in line at Guest Services to add it or
c) feel that cash in hand makes the tip more readily accessible.

We've always added at Guest Services and usually do it very late at night before our final night (usually no wait). Then we hand out the envelopes with the updated tickets at our last MDR evening meal. I write a personalized thank you on the back of each envelope.
I find it's just easier than taking the time to wait at Guest Services. Before they had the auto gratuities, we always just handed the (cash-filled) envelopes to the respective CM. I think it's a nice gesture. A handshake (or hug) with the goodbye is nice.

My server explained to me that they see a printout. They know exactly what the guests give them. The envelopes are ceremonial and superfluous.

Another tip: if you are to increase the tip, do it early in the trip at Guest Services, Before the 2nd to last day, to avoid the lines.

Just another note- they are happy to get extra tips in whatever form they take BUT when you add it on at GS it goes straight to their accounts and is easier to send home for them or pay their bills. They are limited to how much cash they are allowed to keep in their cabins and the purser has restrictive hours so cash tips mean they have to use some of their very limited free time to stand in line and get cash turned over and added to their accounts. Don’t let that stop you from giving tips but after we learned that we do try to go to GS to add extras just to make it a little easier for them.

We add cash to the envelopes and hand them to our servers on the last night. That way we can say thank you for the great service. It's not awkward at all.

We've always added at Guest Services and usually do it very late at night before our final night (usually no wait). Then we hand out the envelopes with the updated tickets at our last MDR evening meal. I write a personalized thank you on the back of each envelope.

C, sort of. When in port the crew sometimes goes shopping for things they need. If some of their tips are in cash, then they do not need to withdraw from their account.

Although, now that I think of it, this only works for the tipped crew. So, the process of getting cash must be pretty easy and in the future, I may just add the extra to my shipboard account.

Just another note- they are happy to get extra tips in whatever form they take BUT when you add it on at GS it goes straight to their accounts and is easier to send home for them or pay their bills. They are limited to how much cash they are allowed to keep in their cabins and the purser has restrictive hours so cash tips mean they have to use some of their very limited free time to stand in line and get cash turned over and added to their accounts. Don’t let that stop you from giving tips but after we learned that we do try to go to GS to add extras just to make it a little easier for them.

Exactly! Why we give them cash for the extra. Give them a few bills to spend in port that they might not have had before.

Fwiw, we show our appreciation each meal. We don’t wait until the end to thank the servers. And for me handing over a tip IS awkward and waters down the thanks. They already know what they are getting anyway. I see no need to combine the two.

Exactly! Why we give them cash for the extra. Give them a few bills to spend in port that they might not have had before.

How does giving them US dollars help them anywhere but St Thomas and PR?

To be honest, I do find it awkward giving out the tip envelopes. Our tips were done at guest services and I left the envelopes on our desk untouched so that they could be re-used. I appreciate how Disney gives families this personal choice. We did tip room service in cash, but only because that was our only option.

I think you misunderstood me (or maybe quoted me by mistake?) but they typically have to wait in line with the purser to give him/her their cash and have them added to their account since they need money to send home and not to spend. I believe most of them use ATM/debit cards when running ashore to buy things (although we’ve also heard the Walmart in Cozumel is the preferred port for toiletries and don’t accept dollars).

Interesting post. As some have said, I do find it akward to hand in the enveloppes. I always question myself in terms of timing and not wanting to keep the waitstaff away from tending to other tables as I know they are busy. Also, we don’t always see the head server on the last night.

C- figure all waiters like cash better.
We put in envelope and give a simple thank you handshake and hand over envelope. It's not very awkward at all.

Thank you for this. This matches what the servers told me on the side.

Also, not to be a downer w the magic, but averaging 50+ cruises a year and probably 8 tables per cruise, I’m quite mindful of their time frankly. They know how great they were by the higher number they see on the printout without having to go to the purser to deposit wads of cash. Any extra money almost entirely goes to their families. Very few spend extra on themselves.

Fwiw, we show our appreciation each meal. We don’t wait until the end to thank the servers. And for me handing over a tip IS awkward and waters down the thanks. They already know what they are getting anyway. I see no need to combine the two.

How does giving them US dollars help them anywhere but St Thomas and PR?

Sort of short-sided or arrogant of you to presume that just because we formally thank them and hand them an envelope at the end of the cruise that we don't show appreciation along the way...

and BTW we had no issues dropping US$ in the ports we stop at. Usually they are worth more than local.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter