Upgrade question: I have a six-day park hopper from last year that is sitting in my account.

I planned to use it this summer but have now "had" to purchase new tickets so we can take part in that sweet, sweet temptress, free dining.

I know the value of that old ticket does not expire. Can I use that value to upgrade multiple tickets to APs? (i.e. is it $550 that I can use on multiple upgrades, or $550 I can only use in one transaction to buy or upgrade one ticket)?

Thanks for any help!

I see people talking about buying a discounted ticket now, and then upgrading to an AP when they get there. That sounds like more work, but I'm assuming there's a benefit to doing that? The only reason I need one is because we booked a villa with an AP discount. Also, if I just purchase my AP online now, will I be able to look at AP room rates myself, as opposed to having to call? Thank you!!

I see people talking about buying a discounted ticket now, and then upgrading to an AP when they get there. That sounds like more work, but
1. I'm assuming there's a benefit to doing that? The only reason I need one is because we booked a villa with an AP discount.
2. Also, if I just purchase my AP online now, will I be able to look at AP room rates myself, as opposed to having to call? Thank you!!
1.Yes. You get to "keep the discount" amount that you saved when you bought the original ticket... when you upgrade to the AP.
2. Yes. (But, it will cost you the full amount to directly purchase an AP.
It could be a rather substantial amount.)

Upgrade question: I have a six-day park hopper from last year that is sitting in my account.

I planned to use it this summer but have now "had" to purchase new tickets so we can take part in that sweet, sweet temptress, free dining.

I know the value of that old ticket does not expire.
1. Can I use that value to upgrade multiple tickets to APs? (i.e.
2. is it $550 that I can use on multiple upgrades,
2. or $550 I can only use in one transaction to buy or upgrade one ticket)?

Thanks for any help!
1. Upgrades are strictly on a one-to-one basis.
2. Nope.
3. Correct.

1.Yes. You get to "keep the discount" amount that you saved when you bought the original ticket... when you upgrade to the AP.

Thank you! If I buy a discounted ticket, and then do the upgrade when I get there, can I still make my fast passes now and keep them?

This feels like a very basic couple of questions, but I'm struggling to find confirmation.

If I buy an AP now but don't activate it until I arrive on property in January:
  1. Does MDE recognize it as an AP/ticket for the purposes of booking FP+? I see that APs get FP+ benefits, but I'm not clear on whether an unactivated AP is recognized in the system for this purpose. I'm doing an onsite stay, so I want to be certain I can take full advantage of the 60+ day FP+ booking window.
  2. Can I book DAH tickets with the AP discount before activating it?
Basically I'm trying to figure out whether it's a good idea to lock in the AP now and start taking advantage of discounts as I book things leading up to the trip, or if it's actually going to create a problem for me. I can afford the lump sum to buy it now, but if I can't get discounts and FP+ bookings before activating it I might as well save some money by buying a discount park hopper and upgrading once I get there. I saw the other thread with someone asking about retroactive AP discounts on DAH, so I'm aware that I may or may not get a gift card for the difference if I upgrade a park hopper to AP and then go ask at guest services.

Thank you! If I buy a discounted ticket, and then do the upgrade when I get there, can I still make my fast passes now and keep them?

Yes. Advance-book FPs for every park day on your original ticket.

This feels like a very basic couple of questions, but I'm struggling to find confirmation.

If I buy an AP now but don't activate it until I arrive on property in January:
  1. 1a. Does MDE recognize it as an AP/ticket for the purposes of booking FP+? I see that APs get FP+ benefits, but 1b. I'm not clear on whether an unactivated AP is recognized in the system for this purpose. I'm doing an onsite stay, so 1c. I want to be certain I can take full advantage of the 60+ day FP+ booking window.
  2. Can I book DAH tickets with the AP discount before activating it?
Basically I'm trying to figure out whether it's a good idea to lock in the AP now and start taking advantage of discounts as I book things leading up to the trip, or
3. if it's actually going to create a problem for me. I can afford the lump sum to buy it now, but 4. if I can't get discounts and
5. FP+ bookings before activating it
6. I might as well save some money by buying a discount park hopper and upgrading once I get there.
7. I saw the other thread with someone asking about retroactive AP discounts on DAH, so I'm aware that I may or may not get a gift card for the difference if I upgrade a park hopper to AP and then go ask at guest services.
1a. Yes.
1b. It does.
1c. You can.
2. Maybe.
3. It should not create problems.
4. Maybe.
5. You CAN.
6. It is quite possible that you will save a lot more money doing that, anyway.
7. Yup. Maybe.

If he gets his tickets from the ITT office at his local base he will receive vouchers that he will have to activate before entering a park but these vouchers can be entered in MDX so FPs can be made in advance. If he orders his tickets from Shades of Green(military hotel at Disney) and pays the $10 shipping he will be sent active tickets. Either way works fine - the vouchers just have to be activated before entering a park.

Thank you!!

The Discovery FL Res passes are only valid until June, so they will not work for a Labor Day trip. You'll want a regular FL resident 3-day ticket. Disney's website pushes the Discovery tickets and makes it hard to find the regular FL tickets. You have to click on the 1-day ticket section and then pick the 3-day option. For my August dates, UT and AAA are about $5 cheaper than direct purchase from Disney for non-hoppers. Hoppers are $12-15 cheaper at UT and AAA.

Sorry, I meant around Memorial day. We are actually checking out the Friday before Memorial day.

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I just want to make sure I'm getting it straight. So, if I buy my ticket from UT for $495, and the regular price from Disney is $540-ish, I'm making about $45 on the deal? I'm thinking I may just buy the AP online right now, instead of having to go to Guest Relations and upgrade it. Although.....did I read somewhere that Ill have to go to GR anyway to get a separate AP card? Sorry, I'm probably making this more difficult.

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I just want to make sure I'm getting it straight. So, if I buy my ticket from UT for $495, and the regular price from Disney is $540-ish, I'm making about $45 on the deal? I'm thinking I may just buy the AP online right now, instead of having to go to Guest Relations and upgrade it. Although.....did I read somewhere that Ill have to go to GR anyway to get a separate AP card? Sorry, I'm probably making this more difficult.

Whatever the savings is, that's what you'd get to "keep" when you upgrade.
You do have to go to Guest Relations (or any ticket booth,) regardless, if you have (or want to upgrade to) a new AP.

To me, you are worrying too much about a simple trip to Guest Relations.
If you go during a less busy time (like mid-afternoon) don't expect there to be a "crowd."

Last edited:
Whatever the savings is, that's what you'd get to "deep" when you upgrade.
You do have to go to Guest Relations (or any ticket booth,) regardless, if you have (or want to upgrade to) a new AP.

To me, you are worrying too much about a simple trip to Guest Relations.
If you go during a less busy time (like mid-afternoon) don't expect there to be a "crowd."
Thank you! And yes, you're probably right about me worrying too much; my husband would agree. lol. So I can upgrade at any time during the trip, correct?

1a. Yes.
1b. It does.
1c. You can.
2. Maybe.
3. It should not create problems.
4. Maybe.
5. You CAN.
6. It is quite possible that you will save a lot more money doing that, anyway.
7. Yup. Maybe.

Thanks!

Well, if FP+ are a go and discount DAH is still only a maybe on pre-buying the AP, it sounds like it's time to do More Math (just when I thought I was done!) and base my decision re: pre-buying AP or upgrading a park hopper purely on the price of the purchase method itself without worrying about AP discounts right now. I bet you're right and it comes out deeper discount on upgrading a discount ticket than I'd net from DAH discounts anyway.

Thank you! And yes, you're probably right about me worrying too much; my husband would agree. lol. So I can upgrade at any time during the trip, correct?

That first line should have read,
"Whatever the savings is, that's what you'd get to "KEEP" when you upgrade."

Yes.
You can upgrade at any time.
I recommend doing so on the afternoon of your first or second day.
That way, you'd have the benefits of the AP early-on.

Thanks!

Well, if FP+ are a go and discount DAH is still only a maybe on pre-buying the AP, it sounds like it's time to do More Math (just when I thought I was done!) and base my decision re: pre-buying AP or upgrading a park hopper purely on the price of the purchase method itself without worrying about AP discounts right now. I bet you're right and it comes out deeper discount on upgrading a discount ticket than I'd net from DAH discounts anyway.
Yup.
AND...
It IS likely that a CM might very well offer you the DAH "AP discount" refund (on a gift card) if you would "ask nicely."
It never hurts to ask for what you'd like.
I just can't be sure, as "refunds" are generally a "pixie dust" kind of thing.

All great and knowing @Robo I have a question for the grand master Poobah. Last year, when we went to WDW, we had a friend back out right before we left. Gratefully, the ticket was not assigned a name, as I'd planned on doing that when we arrived. So, WDW gave me this little card with the amount of the park passes on it. Found out that the DH and I may have a free trip to DL this year. My question: Can I use that card with the preloaded amount towards DL tickets? Or is that only for WDW?

All great and knowing @Robo I have a question for the grand master Poobah. Last year, when we went to WDW, we had a friend back out right before we left. Gratefully, the ticket was not assigned a name, as I'd planned on doing that when we arrived. So, WDW gave me this little card with the amount of the park passes on it. Found out that the DH and I may have a free trip to DL this year. My question: Can I use that card with the preloaded amount towards DL tickets? Or is that only for WDW?
Tickets for WDW can no longer br used at DLR.
But, go to DLR anyway. It’s such a great experience!

Can I purchase EMM with an account that doesn't have linked park tickets? I know I'll need tickets by the day of the event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter