Thoughts on Measles outbreak?

Since we're on the topic, most of us here are of an age prior to the availability of chicken pox vaccine and had the disease at some point in our childhoods. That means we are at risk for shingles and although I don't know if it being life-threatening, :scared: the suffering it can cause is epic. There's a new two-stage vaccine available for older adults that is apparently safer and much more effective than the previous one. I've got an appointment to be vaccinated later this month.

I'm not worried. If my kids got it. We homeschool, so if ANYONE in my family shows any sickness, we stay home until everyone is better. We try hard not to spread germs. I am frustrated people assume that people vaccinate due to the "fear of autism". That isn't it. I am angry that this is no longer any place to have actual discussion regarding vaccines. Vaccines are not 100% safe. Nothing in the medical field is 100% safe. I wish we could get more research into safer vaccines. This push to just vaccinate and "claim" it is all safe is frustrating. Is the the fail rate fairly small? Yes it is. But to completely ignore those who are vaccined injured is doing the science of vaccines an injustice. We need to keep pushing for safer vaccines.

I don't really understand this statement, do you believe that "we" don't research the safety of vaccines? Do you believe that researchers are not making them as safe as possible? Can you explain how you think they are not doing that?
If nothing is 100% safe in the medical field, then how do you expect vaccines to be 100% safe all the time.
For the majority of people, vaccines are 100% safe. We know this, science has proven this through the DECADES that vaccines have been used on the general population
Unfortunately though there will always be people who are adversely effected, but like you said nothing in the medical field is 100% safe.

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/safety

I don't really understand this statement, do you believe that "we" don't research the safety of vaccines? Do you believe that researchers are not making them as safe as possible? Can you explain how you think they are not doing that?
If nothing is 100% safe in the medical field, then how do you expect vaccines to be 100% safe all the time.
For the majority of people, vaccines are 100% safe. We know this, science has proven this through the DECADES that vaccines have been used on the general population
Unfortunately though there will always be people who are adversely effected, but like you said nothing in the medical field is 100% safe.

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/safety

Nothing in life is 100% safe, I legit can not think of one thing!

Since we're on the topic, most of us here are of an age prior to the availability of chicken pox vaccine and had the disease at some point in our childhoods. That means we are at risk for shingles and although I don't know if it being life-threatening, :scared: the suffering it can cause is epic. There's a new two-stage vaccine available for older adults that is apparently safer and much more effective than the previous one. I've got an appointment to be vaccinated later this month.
I think a lot of us are. I had chickenpox when I was 2ish and it was before the vaccine was available.

For the U.S at least the vaccine wasn't around until 1995.

Do you remember what the 2 stage vaccine is called, interested in learning more about it.

Just got my first stage of this vaccine last week, and boy is my arm STILL sore. I don't know if it's age or what but dang does this one hurt for a long while. I'm dreading stage two already and I still have a few months before I do it. I agree though, it's a good idea to check if it's needed. Even though it hurts like heck, I'm glad I did it.

Just got my first stage of this vaccine last week, and boy is my arm STILL sore. I don't know if it's age or what but dang does this one hurt for a long while. I'm dreading stage two already and I still have a few months before I do it. I agree though, it's a good idea to check if it's needed. Even though it hurts like heck, I'm glad I did it.
The new vaccine is more effective, however, it is much more painful post vaccination and everyone gets sore from it. Plus, as you mentioned, you need a two-dose series. It is a lot less painful than shingles though. Shingles can get in the eyes, one of the spots where the virus stays dormant, and this can be very serious. There is a supply and demand issue with Shingrix as well. I would recommend everyone get on the books for it so you can get it when it is available.

This is on my list.

The new vaccine is more effective, however, it is much more painful post vaccination and everyone gets sore from it. Plus, as you mentioned, you need a two-dose series. It is a lot less painful than shingles though. Shingles can get in the eyes, one of the spots where the virus stays dormant, and this can be very serious. There is a supply and demand issue with Shingrix as well. I would recommend everyone get on the books for it so you can get it when it is available.
Yeah, it took me being on the waiting list for just over 6 months to get the first one. The demand must be incredible.

When will people learn that there's no link to the MMR jab and autism? As someone who has HFASD/Asperger's himself, it saddens me that there are people out there who still believe that leaving their children unvaccinated over fears they'd become high-maintenance due to autism is morally right, when it fact, it isn't, and to make matters worse, autisitiphobia is still rife among the anti-vaxxers.

When will people learn that there's no link to the MMR jab and autism? As someone who has HFASD/Asperger's himself, it saddens me that there are people out there who still believe that leaving their children unvaccinated over fears they'd become high-maintenance due to autism is morally right, when it fact, it isn't, and to make matters worse, autisitiphobia is still rife among the anti-vaxxers.

Check out the SciShow video I posted. It helps explain why people still believe this connection.

I feel like the problem is that too many never experienced or witnessed the horror that these diseases caused and take for granted the huge scientific advances we have made to eradicate them.

I agree.

I am so thankful that we have science that helps us prevent these horrible diseases and will never understand anyone who believes the quacks out there.

I want to first say that my own DS had all his childhood vaccines on time except, as someone else mentioned, Gardasil - which he got late because it was so new.

But when he was little, I do remember being scared, and I think I can understand why people make what I ultimately considered to be the wrong decision. - I think what's running through their heads is that if you don't vaccinate, and your kid gets sick, you missed an opportunity to prevent it, but there's an element of bad luck (or fate, or whatever you believe in) in there as well. Something bad happened to your child. You could have tried to prevent it (which probably would have worked) but you didn't directly do it. On the other hand, if you vaccinate, and your kid is one of the very rare cases that has a dangerous reaction, it's something you directly did to them.

And our society blames parents for everything, in ways it never used to. There's so much pressure - as if every little decision you make has the potential to screw up your child for life. I think people are more afraid of feeling guilty than they are of the diseases themselves (see quote above - because they haven't actually seen what those diseases can do). Add to that the fact they we are inundated with conflicting information (way more than our own parents - most of whom left the research to their family doctors and just trusted them) and it's no wonder people get confused.

And our society blames parents for everything, in ways it never used to. There's so much pressure - as if every little decision you make has the potential to screw up your child for life. I think people are more afraid of feeling guilty than they are of the diseases themselves (see quote above - because they haven't actually seen what those diseases can do). Add to that the fact they we are inundated with conflicting information (way more than our own parents - most of whom left the research to their family doctors and just trusted them) and it's no wonder people get confused.

I watched Goonies yesterday since it was back in theatres. I remember being a kid in the 80s. I road my bike everywhere with no parental supervision. My parents and my friend's parents encouraged us to get out of the house and play and explore. I don't see kids today doing that anymore. And it makes me sad. I think, parents are too fearful these days. Bad stuff will happen to your kids, but they will survive. I broke my arm twice as a kid, and I survived. I also got chicken pox twice as a kid, which was horrible. I wouldn't want anyone to get that.

Last edited:
Autism isn't something you "cure" or even want to "cure." It's a different kind of brain and a different way of thinking.

And, people on the spectrum brought us computers and the space program.

I celebrate my son. Sure he has his challenges (who doesn't?). But, he's also got a brain that works in very interesting ways. And, he has a heart of gold. Just because he can't "read" your emotions, and non-verbal cues, doesn't make him something or someone you need to cure.

...those nonverbal, violent, suffering children locked into the worst of autism, yes I want a cure for their suffering. The ones that knock themselves out, self harm, etc. I want a cure so they are not suffering.

I've worked with many kids on the spectrum in school over the years, and I really see both of these points. There are kids who just need some acceptance, and kids who need a different sort of medical help. - I'm not positive that someday a still newer version of the DSM won't separate Aspergers and "traditional" autism into two different diagnoses again.

I got my second dosage this morning. Back in Dec I got the first and my arm was sore for a week and I also felt kinda crappy for a week also. I asked today if it would be as bad and they said it could very well be just like last time. Didn’t want to hear that but I don’t want shingles. I know quite a few people that had it and it sounds awful. I just picked a week that I don’t have a lot going on so if I don’t feel good the next few days I can just rest.

My mother didn’t vaccinate me or my brother. She wasn’t against vaccines, she was just a truly bad mother. My parents were divorced and she lied to my dad about it. Her older brother even had polio as a child. Fortunately we moved in with my grandmother when we were 6&8. She figured it out and took us every week for months to get us fully vaccinated. We are both terrified of shots now, but we still had our children vaccinated. I still don’t know how she got us in school. She told them that my brother’s doctor lost his license and that my doctor’s office burned down, so she couldn’t get the records. I guess it was easier to lie before computer records.

I got shingles when I was 32. It sucked! It was painful, itchy and 10x worse than the chicken pox I had as a kid. And I had a mild case of shingles. I'm not yet old enough to get the vaccine for shingles but the day I am, I'm getting it. Measles has a similar course. If you are immune to measles because you HAD measles, you are always at risk for the dormant virus to cause encephalitis. This is not the case if you are immune due to having the vaccine usually 2 doses. Thankfully my daughter is of and age where she has had both a chicken pox vaccine and 2 doses of MMR. We vaccinate to protect or selves and those who CAN'T due to having medical reasons such as an allergic reaction to a vaccine, having an auto-immune disease or organ transplant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter