Thoughts on Measles outbreak?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Pea-n-Me, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

2. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

pigletliz, pweyl36, BrianL and 31 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Floridaman999

Floridaman999 Livin' the life

I can't even.

5. Maggie Gallagher

Maggie Gallagher Peter Pan's Pixie

I am angered by the ignorant people who perpetuate the myths about vaccinations.

If everyone was responsible and got their shots, we wouldn't be dealing with this.

abdmom, Tiggers82, pweyl36 and 35 others like this.
  6. jaybirdsmommy

jaybirdsmommy DIS Veteran

Same

larissawbb, Baduist, ZBMom and 4 others like this.
  7. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

8. jhoannam

jhoannam DIS Veteran

I hope those parents that haven’t vaccinated change their mind. They are putting those infants not old enough at risk.

9. BLAZEY

BLAZEY DIS Veteran

We have had a few cases here, we were traveling through Washington State, so both DH and I got a booster of MMR, since we fell into the age bracket that only got one dose with our scheduled childhood vaccines, and had graduated secondary school after they played catch up to give the 2nd dose. DD10 has had 2 doses. we did it not only to protect ourselves, but those who can't get it for medical or age reasons.

10. cabanafrau

cabanafrau DIS Veteran

I'd love to hear the thoughts and reactions of parents from when the vaccines became available decades ago to the news that parents in the 21st century would take such a ridiculous gamble with their children's health and lives.

11. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

I have lots of thoughts about this, but to really share them would involve so many expletives, I'd be forever banned.

12. china mom

china mom DIS Veteran

My daughter's immunization records indicated that she had the MMR shots but we did a titer anyway (internationally adopted). Turns out her titers revealed that she had no immunity. Of course, we quickly (as possible) got her shots caught up. But, it is people like her that herd immunity protects.

I can't get how selfish some are about accepting the protection of herd immunity for their child instead of vaccinating them and being part of the immunity.

13. Ladyandthepuppies

Ladyandthepuppies Mouseketeer

I had a baby 3 weeks ago and I’m frustrated that he’s at risk due to the germs his big brother and sister bring home from school. It’s one thing to put your own child at risk but now that we’re losing herd immunity I feel like it’s gone too far. I was thinking if the weather was nice I would like to take my baby and walk around my college campus outside with the stroller... turns out that my college is currently dealing with a mumps outbreak!

14. BLAZEY

BLAZEY DIS Veteran

My grandfather had polio as a child and told us horror stories of his time while he was ill. He fortunately did not need an Iron Lung, But he did tell us as soon as the Salk Vaccine was available in Canada(1955) he took my mum and uncle to get it. He did not want them to ever suffer through what he did with polio and he got them vaccinated to prevent it.

15. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Not a parent, but a vaccinee :) and i think anyone who refuses to vaccinate - and thus protect - their child hss their head up their patoot.
    Surely you can share but not swear?

16. cabanafrau

cabanafrau DIS Veteran

I have an aunt on my mother's side who had polio, spent time in an iron lung and used crutches her whole life because her legs never developed correctly. The iron lung experience was incredibly traumatic and caused her lifelong issues.

17. kimblebee

kimblebee now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

From someone who is immunocompromised thank you to everyone who helps out with the herd. My vaccines are up to date but I still don’t want to take any chances. I got whooping cough when I was 12 and it SUCKED.

18. Brett Wyman

Brett Wyman DIS Veteran

<popcorn.gif>

19. NYDisGuy

NYDisGuy DIS Veteran

Jenny McCarthy should be in prison

20. BLAZEY

BLAZEY DIS Veteran

I can't like this enough. Along with Andrew Wakefield ( the *DR* that had his medical licence revoked due to his falsified study linking Autism to the MMR vaccine as he wanted to sell his own version of the vaccine.)

larissawbb, Baduist, mom2rb and 22 others like this.
  21. NJlauren

NJlauren DIS Veteran

Same