This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

vision problems and alcohol might though. And it would explain the parents leaving her with him and not being concerned better than dementia.

Alcohol can dull the senses and at his age would probably make his blood pressure raise some. That could have made it harder for him to feel the breeze or cooler outside air on his face.

The family could not be aware of vision problems and may not have known he was drinking or how many drinks. If he wasn’t a drinker, he wouldn’t necessarily have been aware of the effects.

I believe it has been said that alcohol was NOT a factor here. Apparently this man does not drink.

and GF isnt talking on the advice of his lawyer now I dont know really anything about law but why would he need a lawyer if hes not at fault
I understand if there is a risk of being charged (and there is) getting one. Possibly particularly when you are dealing with a "foriegn" country. I don't think that alone is proving his guilt.

How old is the grandfather? He didn't appear all that elderly in the photos I saw.

I believe it has been said that alcohol was NOT a factor here. Apparently this man does not drink.
:rolleyes1 I know, right? Where did the idea of him having been drinking come in? And now it's part of the "working theory" for some posters!?!
I understand if there is a risk of being charged (and there is) getting one. Possibly particularly when you are dealing with a "foriegn" country. I don't think that alone is proving his guilt.
Puerto Rico is part of the US. Maybe you already knew this and you meant something else that I didn't understand. :confused:

Last edited:

:rolleyes1 I know, right? Where did the idea of him having been drinking come in? And now it's part of the "working theory" for a lot of posters!?!

Puerto Rico is part of the US. Maybe you already knew this and you meant something else that I didn't understand. :confused:

Someone else mentioned drinks being served. I didn’t realize alcohol had been ruled out. Not really a theory (I am only one poster, not “a lot”) and it wouldn’t excuse anything.
Just thought it may explain a little bit. Something had to be wrong with the man or everyone here is lying, which I don’t believe.

I mean there are really one two choices. If he sat her on that rail either he didn’t know it was open or he did.

Would you rather believe that a grandfather purposely set the child in a window that was obviously open and let her die?

I mean there are really one two choices. If he sat her on that rail either he didn’t know it was open or he did.
It really doesn't matter what he thought. Either decision was a bad one. It could because of the excitement of the trip, the excitement of seeing his family, unfamiliarity with a cruise ship, or I'm sure a bunch of other reasons. The family should not place blame on the cruise line. I'm sure that's a combination of trying to process the tragedy and an ambulance chasing lawyer. BUT, the GF was responsible for the girl's death and the parents are responsible for hiring the lawyer.

Someone else mentioned drinks being served. I didn’t realize alcohol had been ruled out. Not really a theory (I am only one poster, not “a lot”) and it wouldn’t excuse anything.
Just thought it may explain a little bit. Something had to be wrong with the man or everyone here is lying, which I don’t believe.

Would you rather believe that a grandfather purposely set the child in a window that was obviously open and let her die?
I actually believe the first story told, but not that he was dangling the child out the window. I believe he picked her up to look out of the open window, she squirmed & he lost his grip. To me, that's the most logical explanation. If you were the grandparent, would you want to admit to your child that you knew that window was open? If your DD came up with the closed window/banging on glass story, of course you'd want to go with that.

I think so too, Tarheelmjfan. I think he (and the family) can't wrap their heads around what ACTUALLY happened, so they are creating (not for a malicious reason, but for self-protection) the story about how he didn't know, and it's all the cruise ship's fault. My kids sometimes got squirrelly while I was holding them, and on more than one occasion, I came close to "losing" them. Now, of course, it would have been a fall from my arms to the floor (not that far), but one can easily imagine how such a thing could happen.

He's not even the grandfather. He's the husband of Chloe's mother's mother.

He's not Chloe's grandfather. He's married to her grandmother, but he's not her mother's father.

Adult men (and women), even those that are parents, have been responsible for some horrific acts against children. I don't find it out of the realm of possibility that this was intentional.

He's not Chloe's grandfather. He's married to her grandmother, but he's not her mother's father.

Adult men (and women), even those that are parents, have been responsible for some horrific acts against children. I don't find it out of the realm of possibility that this was intentional.
The fact that he was the step-grandfather means nothing. He was her GF. I don't believe for a minute that he did it on purpose.

It is interesting that the police have not yet ruled out murder. I would have thought it would have been ruled out VERY quickly in a case like this, if the evidence pointed to it being an accident.

It is interesting that the police have not yet ruled out murder. I would have thought it would have been ruled out VERY quickly in a case like this, if the evidence pointed to it being an accident.

I thought they meant more of a involuntary manslaughter type charge. Not actual murder.

I thought they meant more of a involuntary manslaughter type charge. Not actual murder.

Second degree murder is possible. That is appropriate when the death was the result of exceptionally reckless behavior. I would imagine this charge would apply if the video does, in fact, show the GF dangling the child out the window. That is the very definition of criminally reckless behavior.

The family seems to consider him the grandfather, so I’m not sure why you’re so adamant that he’s not.

Just because people are not biologically related does not automatically mean they are not family.

Perhaps he just recently married the grandmother (I haven’t ready anything stating that though), but he could have been in their family for decades. If he raised Chloe’s mom and had been involved in her life since birth, how is he any less her grandfather?

You do know there's a difference in biological and not right?

You can still be a grandfather and not be biologically related. In respects to step-relatives and half-relatives and even non-biologically related relatives it's whatever people are comfortable with and often can vary even within a family.

My husband calls his stepdad 'dad' but also calls his biological dad 'dad' as well. My husband has a half-sister but has never called her that--she's simply his sister. I have 2 half-aunts and 1 half-uncle but they are simply my aunts and uncle. I've never thought of them as any different. On the other hand I never called my stepmom 'mom' but rather my stepmom or just by her name.

It's just interesting you've placed an emphasis there when it doesn't seem to matter.

Second degree murder is possible. That is appropriate when the death was the result of exceptionally reckless behavior. I would imagine this charge would apply if the video does, in fact, show the GF dangling the child out the window. That is the very definition of criminally reckless behavior.

Oh ok gotcha. That makes sense.

In any situation, what we'd rather believe holds absolutely no power. Only what actually happened matters. Go around and around in your own mind trying to find a scenario that makes sense to you, but don't kid yourself that you've determined the truth.

:sad2: Honestly, this suggestion is vile and utterly unfounded based on what's actually been said by the parents (out of their own mouths on the tv interview). Mrs. Weigand referred to him by his first name...BUT...also referred to him as her childrens' grandfather. She also stressed they trusted him completely with the little girl.

In any situation, what we'd rather believe holds absolutely no power. Only what actually happened matters. Go around and around in your own mind trying to find a scenario that makes sense to you, but don't kid yourself that you've determined the truth.

:sad2: Honestly, this suggestion is vile and utterly unfounded based on what's actually been said by the parents (out of their own mouths on the tv interview). Mrs. Weigand referred to him by his first name...BUT...also referred to him as her childrens' grandfather. She also stressed they trusted him completely with the little girl.

I wasn’t thinking I had determined the truth but the fact is that every scenario that has been stated here is in fact just a theory. Because in all honesty, we don’t know what exactly happeened. And aren’t likely to.

I believe he picked her up to look out of the open window, she squirmed & he lost his grip. To me, that's the most logical explanation. If you were the grandparent, would you want to admit to your child that you knew that window was open? If your DD came up with the closed window/banging on glass story, of course you'd want to go with that.
I've thought this from the beginning. While all the other theories are possible, this is the most likely possibility. It's something virtually every parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, etc has probably done (holding the child in your arms to get them to look out at your level).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter