This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

One more thing I'll add - grandparents aren't always as keen as parents are when it comes to toddlers and potential dangers. My father-in-law has two small grandkids, but he's rarely alone with them or entirely responsible for them. He's not used to having to keep an eye on something or perceive potential dangers to a child, which can differ from dangers an adult may encounter. This is not to say that the grandfather knowingly lifted the child to the open window (hopefully he's not that aloof), but just that things can happen so quickly and easily when you're out of your element, so to speak.

This is very true. I will add that often grandparents don’t realize that their physical abilities are not the same as when they were 25- or 30-years-old.

This is very true. I will add that often grandparents don’t realize that their physical abilities are not the same as when they were 25- or 30-years-old.
My friend’s mother dropped her baby at her first birthday party. She had a few cocktails and had no business carrying her granddaughter. Fortunately the baby landed on someone else who was sitting on the couch, so she wasn’t injured. Thank God she didn’t drop her on the floor.

I wonder if the window was opened by a cruise ship employee or a passenger. I've never been on a cruise but is opening windows in a common area something a passenger would do? I'm just curious.
I believe those windows are for ventilation.

My friend’s mother dropped her baby at her first birthday party. She had a few cocktails and had no business carrying her granddaughter. Fortunately the baby landed on someone else who was sitting on the couch, so she wasn’t injured. Thank God she didn’t drop her on the floor.
My son had this issue with a grandmother in law. She was falling asleep holding their baby, luckily she didn't drop him, but they thought she was going to. No one wanted to say anything to her. I told him, you need to go get your baby if someone is doing something dangerous with the baby. They're all half afraid to say something to her. Or afraid to take the baby in fear of offending her because she responds very mean to them if she doesn't agree with them. (don't worry, I told him it was okay to offend great-grandma by taking your newborn back when she is falling asleep)

I wondered if the parents on the ship saw this situation unfolding and chose to not say anything because they're afraid of offending? (not blaming the parents at all)

Holding up the toddler so she can bang on the glass like she does at her brother's hockey games? Hmmm. Makes me wonder what other bratty behavior this family is encouraging their kids to engage in.

Open window or closed, lifting the kid up on the rail is the action of a feces-for-brains grandpa.

When I first heard the family had already hired a lawyer, I thought that since the mother is a former prosecutor, they either already had a family attorney, or one of her professional contacts reached out to help them through such a tragic time. But apparently, it was the cruise-ship version of a wealthy ambulance chaser who was probably making contact within minutes of the initial news reports of the incident. I should have known better.

If you're carrying a baby on each hip or one in each hand, you won't have one hand free to catch yourself if you fall. So you'd be unable to protect your face and head if you were to miss a riser. And the babies would hit the ground with you because you'd be unable to put an arm down.

That being said, I don't have children but walk up the stairs with both of my hands full all of the time.

When you've got twins, it's what you do. Was it the "safest." Probably not. But, time is at an absolute premium with twin babies....there's seldom enough of it. And, you do what you need to do. They survived. Whether I did with my sanity intact is a debatable issue. :-D

Holding up the toddler so she can bang on the glass like she does at her brother's hockey games? Hmmm. Makes me wonder what other bratty behavior this family is encouraging their kids to engage in.

Open window or closed, lifting the kid up on the rail is the action of a feces-for-brains grandpa.

Wow, really? Must be a wonderful thing to be so absolutely perfect and able to look down at the rest of the world. Might want to be careful though, that high horse might just buck and has a strong kick.

Last edited:
When you've got twins, it's what you do. Was it the "safest." Probably not. But, time is at an absolute premium with twin babies....there's seldom enough of it. And, you do what you need to do. They survived. Whether I did with my sanity intact is a debatable issue. :-D
Yup...mom of twins here too (and DS was just 2 when they were born).

I don't have kids.

Every time I really think about this I actually feel sick to my stomach and cry.

I think about that baby and how terrifying her last moments must have been.
I think about the parents and the helplessness and anguish they are feeling.
I think about the mom and how she lost her baby and her dad that day.
I think about the grandpa and how that little girl was probably the light of his life, he lost her and his daughter that day.

I don't know how they can go on. I couldn't. The guilt if I were him or the loss if I were the parents would end me.

I tried to avoid pictures but I saw them today, made it worse.

Anyone trying to place blame probably is just trying to rationalize something so horrific, so tragic, anyway they can.

I don't have kids.

Every time I really think about this I actually feel sick to my stomach and cry.

I think about that baby and how terrifying her last moments must have been.
I think about the parents and the helplessness and anguish they are feeling.
I think about the mom and how she lost her baby and her dad that day.
I think about the grandpa and how that little girl was probably the light of his life, he lost her and his daughter that day.

I don't know how they can go on. I couldn't. The guilt if I were him or the loss if I were the parents would end me.

I tried to avoid pictures but I saw them today, made it worse.

Anyone trying to place blame probably is just trying to rationalize something so horrific, so tragic, anyway they can.
:flower3: Understandable visceral reactions to such an unthinkable tragedy. But the parents have other children; by grace they will all find a way to carry on for their sake. They are as innocent and precious as the dear little one that's gone. Can you imagine what their situation would be like if they lost one or more of their parents or grandparents in the aftermath? :sad:

Very unfortunately, the loss of a child, even under such horrific circumstances, is far less rare than one might think. Not normal by any means, but not rare. It changes everything forever but by-and-large the bereaved find a way...there are countless people praying for this family at this very moment. :grouphug:

What is wrong with you? Seriously, if you can be this cruel and inhumane in a situation like this I genuinely hope you get the professional help you need... unbelievable.
Yes, that was really harsh. Social media makes it so easy to be cruel. I can't even begin to think how many times I've made seemingly small mistakes in my life that could have resulted in big consequences. Because human beings aren't perfect, and life can be so fragile and unpredictable and vulnerable.

Probably. I carried mine up and down stairs...at the same time...many times. You just learn to deal as a twin mom. But, I also understand how/why it is "more dangerous" than one at a time. Taking them both out as toddlers to the park or wherever was also "more dangerous" than trying to watch one. It's a balancing act for sure. We had many "close calls" because of "twin behavior" as I call it. One was when DH was watching them both as they were playing in the living room. The phone rang (hard wired phone) and he turned his back for the 30-45 seconds it took to reach the phone in the next room. He turned as he answered and saw my DD walking around on the TOP of the upright piano. We had marble floors. Scary as all heck. Near as we can figure, DD used DS to 'climb' up to the keyboard, and from there she scrambled to the top in the blink of an eye. Would DH have been a "terrible" parent if she had fallen and injured herself? If you say yes, are you also going to tell me you've never turned your back for 30-45 seconds or stepped into the next room while you were a parent? If so, I'm calling you a liar or forgetful. It's HUMAN!

I should also add that by this time, we already had ALL the dining room chairs ON TOP of the dining room table because DD was such a climber. But, we had failed to consider she might use her brother as a step stool. LOL.
The worst was when I brought my kids to a playground one day, ages 1, 1, 3, 5 and 7. Someone stole my wristlet out of my diaper bag with my car keys. Fortunately I had a stroller, walked a half mile to my parents. Going out was always an adventure, but being a SAHM, I really had no choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter