• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking about renting points, how to not get scammed

Nic119

Earning My Ears
Thinking about renting points for the first time from a dvc member I don’t know. How do I know it is legit? Even after I get a confirmation number etc, can’t he still cancel m y reservation after I pay? How can I find out if he is a real dvc owner?

I would recommend going through a broker. With a broker, they will guarantee your money (but still not your reservation - there isn't any way to do that). That should help put your mind at ease. If that is still too much risk, renting isn't for you.

There are ways to know if a DVC member is legit, but every thing that you do can be easily countered by someone intent on scamming you - and every step you take can also have an innocent explanation of why it doesn't work. For instance, some people will tell you to check with the county for property registration, but if you are working with a wife who has a different last name than her husband, and DVC is registered in his name, you may not find it. Or, you might have a scammer. Its isn't too hard to steal the identity of a real DVC owner.

Even if you have a real DVC owner, yes, they can cancel at any time. And DVC can also cancel your reservation if the owner hasn't stayed current on their dues.

It isn't a good solution for worriers. Scamming is rare, but sleepless nights for those of us with anxiety over such things are not.

This is exactly why I talk myself out of it every time I think about it. I'm a worrier and it's just not worth the extra stress of knowing if it's really legit until we get down there.

We did 4 rentals through a broker.
Each time was absolutely fine!

This is why I just can't do this. Plus, it's gotten so expensive through the brokers. Up to $15-17 per point? No thanks. You can often get these villas as a steep discount directly through Disney. That way you also get daily housekeeping.

You can often get these villas as a steep discount directly through Disney.

I did not know you can rent DVC units directly from Disney. How do I do this, is there a special site? Or do you mean the resort hotel room discounts that happen?

I did not know you can rent DVC units directly from Disney. How do I do this, is there a special site? Or do you mean the resort hotel room discounts that happen?

You just go to the Disney site like you are making a hotel reservation and then filter the results by "Disney Vacation Villas"

They are always included in the promos.

This is why I just can't do this. Plus, it's gotten so expensive through the brokers. Up to $15-17 per point? No thanks. You can often get these villas as a steep discount directly through Disney. That way you also get daily housekeeping.

I've compared and often renting is still slightly cheaper, especially with how stingy the discounts have become. Plus with renting you don't have to pay parking fees if you normally would (like we do) so it's still cheaper.

I'm with you. We rented dvc points until 2015 and then I gave up. THe $15-$17 pp cost was just too much for us. I can do better other ways. We first began renting points back in 2011 and it was generally $7-$10 pp. The dvc costs per year didn't increase that much.

I've compared and often renting is still slightly cheaper, especially with how stingy the discounts have become. Plus with renting you don't have to pay parking fees if you normally would (like we do) so it's still cheaper.
Can i ask about parking fees? Im renting points but I didn't know parking was free? I thought that there was a cost? Thanks

Can i ask about parking fees? Im renting points but I didn't know parking was free? I thought that there was a cost? Thanks

From what I understand members pay for parking with their dues, so when you stay on points parking is free even if you’re renting. If you pay for a cash DVC then that’s when you pay the $25/night of parking.

Yeah David’s DVC request and the DVC Rental Store answer that question and a lot more! It’s super helpful.

This is exactly why I talk myself out of it every time I think about it. I'm a worrier and it's just not worth the extra stress of knowing if it's really legit until we get down there.

Renting through a broker gives you a 100% guarantee. Also once you get your reservation Number and attach it to your MDE you can see it yourself.

IMO,renting points is still cheaper than Disney's promos,from what i see and seen.David's are good and a bit cheaper than Disney and every once in a while they have great deals from 7 or 8 dollars a point,usually for saratoga.However,if you're patient and look at the dvc boards or other sites like *********** regularly ,you will find a deal,far better than Disney or Davids regular points charge, again,imo The "most" I've ever paid is $14 a point and that was this past June.

I'm with you. We rented dvc points until 2015 and then I gave up. THe $15-$17 pp cost was just too much for us. I can do better other ways. We first began renting points back in 2011 and it was generally $7-$10 pp. The dvc costs per year didn't increase that much.
Yes. Yes they have gone up that much. You have to remember that it’s not just the annual dues that you’re reimbursing the member for, you’re also paying them for the buy-in cost for those points. Buying into DVC has risen greatly since 2011. All resorts saw a huge increase in direct pricing this past year and the resale market has followed. The annual dues are just south of $8/point and another big increase is expected for 2020.

It’s great that you can do better other ways. Renting DVC isn’t for everyone or for every situation. But you’re wrong about how much the cost of DVC ownership has risen. Just like all other Disney prices, the cost of ownership had taken huge leaps.

Yes. Yes they have gone up that much. You have to remember that it’s not just the annual dues that you’re reimbursing the member for, you’re also paying them for the buy-in cost for those points. Buying into DVC has risen greatly since 2011. All resorts saw a huge increase in direct pricing this past year and the resale market has followed. The annual dues are just south of $8/point and another big increase is expected for 2020.

It’s great that you can do better other ways. Renting DVC isn’t for everyone or for every situation. But you’re wrong about how much the cost of DVC ownership has risen. Just like all other Disney prices, the cost of ownership had taken huge leaps.
I'm actually a dvc owner as well so I'm familiar with the cost. For some who bought in recently, renting at $15-17 would still cover their cost (I've done the math...) but many bought in many, many years back (I recognize the long timer's from the dvc rental board) and they are still renting at the going rate. The guy we used to rent from back in 2011 for $9pp is now renting at $16. He bought in in the late 90's. Fine, I don't blame them but they are making bank on renting points at a MUCH higher rate than they purchased in at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter