The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saaaaame.

Did some maths...turns out it's probably the highest of all the resorts! Very counterintuitive.

Here's average pts/'club member' at each of the resorts (assuming they're sold out, unless otherwise noted):
  • Old Key West: 285pts per club member
  • BoardWalk: 261pts/member
  • Vero Beach: 294pts/member
  • Hilton Head: 275pts/member
  • Boulder Ridge: 260pts/member
  • Beach Club: 289pts/member
  • Saratoga Springs: 279pts/member
  • Animal Kingdom: 281pts/member
  • Bay Lake: 316pts/member
  • Aulani: not sold out and no good public sales numbers are available so I have no idea how much has been sold, but if 1 person bought all the remaining points it would be 456pts/member
  • Grand Floridian: 366pts/member
    • However, VGF2 sales were not sold out at this point, as the MSPOS says the figures are latest as of August 2023 and VGF2 sold out Oct 30, 2023. So the 366pts/member is very likely an overcount.
    • Using sales data as of end of July 2023 would put it at 323pts/member.
    • Using sales data as of end of August 2023 would put it at 334pts/member.
  • Polynesian: 222pts/member
  • Copper Creek: 271pts/member
  • Riviera: not sold out, so hard to gauge. But MSPOS says figures are latest as of August 2023 and as of end of July 2023, 3,745,065 points had been sold (according to DVC News: https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program-men...r-off-as-walt-disney-world-rises-in-july-2023). MSPOS lists 10,826 club members
    • This averages to 346pts/member, not entirely sure I believe it, especially in light of VDH's numbers below
  • Disneyland Hotel: not sold out, so hard to gauge. But MSPOS says figures are latest as of August 2023 and as of end of July 2023, 403,041 points had been sold (according to my own tracking: https://www.disboards.com/threads/vdh-unit-and-sales-tracker.3918952/). MSPOS lists 411 club members.
    • This averages to 914pts/member, which I absolutely do not believe.
    • VDH sales likely hit 411 club members in May of 2023, with 1,147 contracts recorded as of May 31, 2023.
    • Even just contracts recorded in May at 411 members would be 358pts/member, which I also think is too high
  • Fort Wilderness: lol
Sigh, VDH averages to 981pts. Divided by 441 instead of 411. Running a penalty lap.

Interesting still no official firm dates on the refurb. I'm going to likely be canceling our October stay in the near future and debating on keeping or canceling the November trip to bank more points into 2025... Did something crazy that I never thought I would do and instead of renewal/re-buy of our Magic Keys, spent a few bucks more than our 8 day park hoppers and upgraded to a WDW AP and will be going there for spring break 2025.

So with our 520 VGC points we are 1.55 owners :)

I didn’t see grand Cali points in this ? What’s the average for that hotel ?
In a prior post, sorry for leaving it out!

It's 337pts/member at Grand Cali

Here's all the sold out resorts (as of Aug 2023), in descending order:
  • Grand Californian: 337pts/member
  • Old Key West: 285pts/member
The following resorts were not sold out as of Aug 2023 and it's harder to gauge with available data:
  • Aulani
  • Grand Floridian
  • Riviera
  • Disneyland Hotel
  • Fort Wilderness

Last edited:
In (what I think is) the latest Multi-Site Public Offering Statement (https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di..._Public_Offering_Statement_Rev-02-01-2024.pdf), it indicates there are 3,371 'club members' at Grand Californian.

Grand Cali is 1,136,865 points and assuming 100% of it is owned by 'club members' then the average works out to 337.2pts per 'club members'.

Coincidentally, I own 340 points at VGC. Shockingly average.

View attachment 870106
Wow !!! So I actually own on the low side owning 178 points. Do you think people normally use all those points for grand Cali in one trip a year ? Or Break the points for multiple trips.

Wow !!! So I actually own on the low side owning 178 points. Do you think people normally use all those points for grand Cali in one trip a year ? Or Break the points for multiple trips.
I strongly suspect the typical/median/average/whatever owner breaks it up into multiple trips.

At VGC, there are 71 rooms if you split every lock-off. That's 25,915 room nights per year at 100% occupancy, 100% splitting, non-leap year. With 1,136,865 points, the average room is 43.9pts/night, or 307pts/wk.

Said another way, at 337pts/member, it implies the average stay would be over 7 nights if everyone used all their VGC points all at once (and all at VGC).

Saaaaame.

Did some maths...turns out it's probably the highest of all the resorts! Very counterintuitive.

Here's average pts/'club member' at each of the resorts (assuming they're sold out, unless otherwise noted):
  • Old Key West: 285pts per club member
  • Aulani: not sold out and no good public sales numbers are available so I have no idea how much has been sold, but if 1 person bought all the remaining points it would be 456pts/member
  • Grand Floridian: 366pts/member
    • However, VGF2 sales were not sold out at this point, as the MSPOS says the figures are latest as of August 2023 and VGF2 sold out Oct 30, 2023. So the 366pts/member is very likely an overcount.
    • Using sales data as of end of July 2023 would put it at 323pts/member.
    • Using sales data as of end of August 2023 would put it at 334pts/member.
  • Riviera: not sold out, so hard to gauge. But MSPOS says figures are latest as of August 2023 and as of end of July 2023, 3,745,065 points had been sold (according to DVC News: https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program-men...r-off-as-walt-disney-world-rises-in-july-2023). MSPOS lists 10,826 club members
    • This averages to 346pts/member, not entirely sure I believe it, especially in light of VDH's numbers below
  • Disneyland Hotel: not sold out, so hard to gauge. But MSPOS says figures are latest as of August 2023 and as of end of July 2023, 403,041 points had been sold (according to my own tracking: https://www.disboards.com/threads/vdh-unit-and-sales-tracker.3918952/). MSPOS lists 411 club members.
    • This averages to 914pts/member, which I absolutely do not believe.
    • VDH sales likely hit 411 club members in May of 2023, with 1,147 contracts recorded as of May 31, 2023.
    • Even just contracts recorded in May at 411 members would be 358pts/member, which I also think is too high
  • Fort Wilderness: lol
Wow that’s insane ! Do you think people use all their points for like a week stay at a time or multiple couple days here and there ?

I strongly suspect the typical/median/average/whatever owner breaks it up into multiple trips.

At VGC, there are 71 rooms if you split every lock-off. That's 25,915 room nights per year at 100% occupancy, 100% splitting, non-leap year. With 1,136,865 points, the average room is 43.9pts/night, or 307pts/wk.

Said another way, at 337pts/member, it implies the average stay would be over 7 nights if everyone used all their VGC points all at once (and all at VGC).
Wow !! So would you say owners of grand Cali dvc are above median wage earners then ?

Wow !! So would you say owners of grand Cali dvc are above median wage earners then ?
If you're asking me to compare the resorts, I don't think I have any data to say one way or the other. Disney has not released much, if any, demographic information about DVC owners, let alone by resort.

But considering DVC is a niche luxury good (with a minimum buy-in of over $20k for new, direct purchasers) and the median weekly earnings were $1,139 in the first quarter of 2024 (per Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf), which works out to $59,228/yr (assuming full 52 wk employment and no seasonality), it's probably safe to say a typical DVC owner is an above median wage earner.

EDIT: real median household income was $74,580 in 2022 (per https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2023/demo/p60-279.html), further reinforcing the above.

If you're asking me to compare the resorts, I don't think I have any data to say one way or the other. Disney has not released much, if any, demographic information about DVC owners, let alone by resort.

But considering DVC is a niche luxury good (with a minimum buy-in of over $20k for new, direct purchasers) and the median weekly earnings were $1,139 in the first quarter of 2024 (per Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf), which works out to $59,228/yr (assuming full 52 wk employment and no seasonality), it's probably safe to say a typical DVC owner is an above median wage earner.

EDIT: real median household income was $74,580 in 2022 (per https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2023/demo/p60-279.html), further reinforcing the above.
Your personal opinion what do you think the average salary of a typical dvc grand California owner has haha just curious

We split our stays from 1-3 nights multiple times a year since we're San diego folk. 400 pts vgc that all stay there.

Aul points for SAP.

Actually, I'm not surprised that the average is 337 for VGC seeing as the points per night is higher than the WDW resorts. We have 240 points and always stay in a 1 bedroom. Before covid, we maxed out our points every year with one trip, 5-6 nights. For families with more than 5 people, they'd need a lot of points just to stay a few nights in a 2 bedroom. 4 days over the weekend in the summer is over 300 points.

We've used our VGC points for our last WDW trip and were shocked how far our points went! I think we stayed 9 nights!

I'm curious if this worked out for you? I just did a waitlist for November and I'm guessing I should waitlist at the Disneyland DVC too as that would work, but not my home (and preferred) resort.
Hi! I was extremely lucky that my waitlist came through. My request was for a 1 bedroom for 3 nights or a 2 bedroom for 2 nights (mid-July). It was amazing that 4 days later I found out I got the 2 bedroom.

Sending you good luck and good vibes! :flower1:

Dang ! I thought I had a lot of dvc points haha I have 340 points combined aulani and grand Cali. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you to get that many points ?
You have lots of points!

Hanging out on these boards will make you feel like you need more points all the time!

What's important is that you think about your personal vacation needs, like how many times per year you want to go to Disney, and what type of villa you want, which resort, and of course your finances. Base your point purchases on that, not your standing in the 1000 point club!

If it makes you feel better, I only have 100 VGC points! I wanted enough to go 3-4 nights in a studio once a year, or in a 1BR once every other year.

Last edited:
I am guessing the average VGC owner isn’t making most of their income from a salary.
I assume this for all DVC owners. :confused3 Even though we bought our contract at $135 a point, it wasn't until we sold our house and flipped that equity into a couple rental houses that we could afford the purchase.

I'm not sure how anyone affords disney's prices in today's economy though. :oops: We're only going 2 days this year for the first time since 1999 (and not park hopping either for the first time!). All of our trips since then have been 3+ days. Sigh.

I only have 100 vgc points and 55 vdh points. I use my Disneyland Dvc points for 2-3 stays 3-4 times a year. Sometimes I will waitlist a night with my wdw points to add an extra day to a trip, and I have had about 50-50 odds if it will come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest