Marathon Weekend 2025

Good afternoon RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). Registration for Marathon Weekend is largely done and dusted and we now enter that long wait for the event to arrive, so let's dream a bit. When you get done running your race(s), be they 5k, marathon, Dopey or anything in between, what's your favorite place to celebrate your accomplishment?

SAFD: This isn't really a great SAFD for me, as I'm usually there solo and don't do anything special to celebrate. Depending on how I feel, I'll generally chew and see if there are any appealing table service reservations available. This past year, I went into Epcot and had dinner at the Rose and Crown before heading back to rest up for DATW.
well... it's not my choice as the marathon day is my Wife's birthday. She has requested a certain dinner, but I will definitely have a shower and a beer before heading up to the MK to meet the rest of the fam.

SAFD: I don't have any traditions yet. I've been considering where I want to eat after the marathon. It'll be my first marathon and my birthday, so I feel like I have to go all out! Of course, since it's my first marathon I have no idea how I'll feel afterward and I might want to crawl into a hole and die. :P

SAFD: Honestly, all I want to do after a race is chill and relax the rest of the day with NO commitments for anything special. For me, the race is the “celebration” - the culmination of the journey to get there. So once it’s done, I’m mentally done with it and ready to move on to whatever's next in my life, which may be laundry just as easily as going to a theme park. I’m boring like that lol! The best post-Dopey evening I ever had was when a friend brought me some takeout and we sat outside at a picnic table talking for a couple hours before I went to bed at 8pm.

Agree. As much as I like the idea of doing some big celebratory thing, once I'm done with a big race I want to have 0 expectations for myself for the rest of the day.
Right?! For years, I planned and participated in these big group dinners to end a race weekend and truthfully, I was tired, hungry but also had little appetite, and internally really cranky. COVID really did me a solid by limiting my willingness to do anything social post-race because I discovered quickly that I’d really rather be alone with a TV lol!

SAFD: I do small things to celebrate, though I did treat myself to a foot massage after the ten-miler last year. I'm considering a massage after I do the Fairytale Challenge next year. I haven't done a half since MW 2014, and I had to walk it because of injury. I had been planning a resort day between the 10K and half, but now I'm considering a resort day after the half so I don't have to hobble anywhere on a deadline. If I book a massage, I'll Uber to GF.

SAFD: My goals after the marathon are usually just to eat and drink everything. Lol. After Goofy in 2023 I did BOG at MK. The meal was nice enough but I didn't realize until we got to MK that the dinner was my only opportunity to drink. I had a couple cocktails during dinner and then we did castle pics at night, which was pretty cool. But I really just wanted to walk around with a beer and I couldn't at MK.

This past year for Dopey I was with my running group who flew in from all over the country and we did DATW in Epcot on Sunday together. It was perfect. I usually got a snack of sorts in each country and a drink and we just had the best time. Monday morning is medal pics in MK now and then usually one more park before I fly out that evening.

This year, I really want to make it a point to go to Beaches & Cream after the marathon. I've had it scheduled a couple times and cancelled it. It would be the perfect post-race meal before DATW.

Garden Grill the night of the weekend's big race (day-of the race, but at night...? lol) has been my new tradition. Shuffle over to Epcot and eat an entire bowl of mashed potatoes. Character interactions over there are the absolute best, too!
I love this! I’ve always wanted to try Garden Grill, but usually go to Epcot during festivals and want to eat at the food booths. With no festival going on I wouldn’t feel like I was missing out on food booths and would be hungry enough for a big meal! I don’t know if I’d make it until dinner though… 😂

I have not done the Disney marathon and won't be doing it this year, but I usually do the 10k and half. Post 10k, we don't usually do anything in particular. Maybe eat in the room then head off to Epcot because we can take our time, chill in the DVC lounge, and then eat a great dinner. For post 1/2 celebration, we usually try to eat breakfast some place fun. Typically it was 1900 Park Fare because it was one of the best breakfast buffets and it had Mary Poppins. I am so sad that with the reopening, she will not be there. This past princess race, we did breakfast at Boma because we were at AKL Kidani. For our dinner, we usually are in MK for the day and so eat at Skipper Canteen or we may hop over to Epcot for another special dinner. I have to think through what we want to do this year.

SAFD: I don't have any big celebration after the runs are completed. On Sunday, after the marathon, I usually meet up with my family at Epcot and it turns into eating around the world. My family likes to torture me and they usually in the very back of World Showcase when I arrive back at the park. By the time I get to them, I have usually stopped at four or five food stands. For whatever reason, I always have to have one of those giant donuts. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter