The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are suspending the making of appointments for first vaccines due to a lack of vaccine.
IMHO the issue is they put more people in the first tier than they knew they could get vaccine for.
This is what's happening in many states who opened up to 65+ and essential workers and those with comorbidities. All at once, too many people, and it's causing problems.

My state has not had to cancel any appointments because they opened slowly in small-ish groups and only allowed appointments for what they knew could be provided. First frontline healthcare workers (and there may have been a couple different levels of that), then senior living facilities (which did have 2-3 distinct subgroups), then those 75+, then 70+, and only next week can people 65+ make appointments. Those under 65 with certain health conditions will be the next set, but appointments are not yet open to that group. At this point, no priority access for any other groups or occupations, though that may come before "general public" access.

It was not developed as quickly as people think. What happened quickly was funding and removal of beauracratic roadblocks that might hamper progress. Yes, none had yet been FDA approved but this idea was not first created last March.

Here is an article from 2012 discussing mRNA vaccines. Developing mRNA-vaccine technologies (nih.gov)
Warp Speed basically said, "Hey! You guys in the upper level, back row seats, come down here and get up on the stage. You belong in the spotlight! What can we do to help your progress?" :worship::worship::worship: "Just say the word and we'll get it for you."

This.

For example, this is part of J&J's patenting for their ad.26 adenovirus-based vaccine platform, which is the basis of their covid-19 vaccine [and other vaccines they have in development]. Note the dates: 2013/2014.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160199426A1/en
The platforms the covid vaccines are based on have been in development for many years.

This is what's happening in many states who opened up to 65+ and essential workers and those with comorbidities. All at once, too many people, and it's causing problems.

My state has not had to cancel any appointments because they opened slowly in small-ish groups and only allowed appointments for what they knew could be provided. First frontline healthcare workers (and there may have been a couple different levels of that), then senior living facilities (which did have 2-3 distinct subgroups), then those 75+, then 70+, and only next week can people 65+ make appointments. Those under 65 with certain health conditions will be the next set, but appointments are not yet open to that group. At this point, no priority access for any other groups or occupations, though that may come before "general public" access.

Fairly similar here in Oregon - just this last Friday they announced what was coming next.. there has been woefully little information about how the rollout will go, but now it is all mapped out. Tomorrow they open for 65+ which thankfully will include my parents. Then no change until the END of March (which is a big change - they had been adding people to the groups every week) when those 45+ with health concerns can sign up, as well as seasonal/migrant workers, people in the food distribution industry and the houseless.

Sounds like I will be eligible May 1st as I'm a frontline worker by CDC definition; HR agrees and is willing to give me any proof that may be required. FWIW my first level boss thinks I'm being ridic taking it away from "real" frontline workers but he's been coming in once or twice a month and doesn't interact with anyone. I go in 2-3 times a week and interact directly a handful of random coworkers and vendors <6' away at those times. I went ahead and told my department - everyone can make their own judgement call on what they're comfortable with IMO.

July 1st is the next group after that and will be a free for all - at that point anyone can get one. I'm worried if I wait, it will be rough to get an appointment. My husband will fall into this category, so our plans for the rest of the year will depend on when he can get in and get one.

Whatever happens, as long as we stay on track this will mean we will have all been vaccinated well before the holidays roll around and that will be such a relief for various reasons.

It's interesting to hear the various guidelines for eligibility. It is still only eligible to 65+ and healthcare workers in Florida

It's interesting to hear the various guidelines for eligibility. It is still only eligible to 65+ and healthcare workers in Florida
Makes up most of the state. Everyone wants to retire in Florida. My husband wants to move there eventually also, but I love the winter! Most of WI’s 65+ went there or winter there.

IMHO the issue is they put more people in the first tier than they knew they could get vaccine for. Another Medical group here ignored the 65 plus rule, and imposed a 75 plus rule because even that smaller group was more people than they could get vaccine for.
Here is the e-mail.
"

We understand it’s been an incredibly long and difficult year for everyone. The pandemic has changed all our lives in immeasurable ways, and we share your hope that COVID-19 vaccines can help bring us back to some sense of normalcy.​

Limited Vaccine Supply​
At this time, the vaccine supply we’re receiving from the state is extremely limited and unpredictable. The lack of vaccine has forced us to relocate, reschedule or indefinitely postpone some appointments and stop booking new ones for the time being. We know this is incredibly disappointing, and we share your frustration. We appreciate your patience and flexibility as we continue doing everything we can to keep our commitment to our communities despite the supply challenges.
With enough vaccine supply, we could be vaccinating more than 25,000 patients each day across our network. We’ve built up our vaccination clinic capacity and opened nine large-scale sites in Modesto, Pleasanton, Roseville, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa. Our teams stand ready to vaccinate.
Please know we’re doing everything we can to get additional vaccine supply as quickly as possible and remain hopeful the state will allocate more doses to us very soon based on our urgent requests.​
Appointments for Eligible Patients​
Following the state’s tiered system, we’ve been vaccinating 1A and began vaccinating 1B with those age 65 and older, which is about 745,000 patients in the communities we serve. Because we’re not currently able to schedule new appointments, we’re not opening to other groups at this time, although we’re still preparing and hope to do so soon.
If you’re currently eligible and don’t find a vaccination appointment right away, we ask for your patience as we wait for additional supply from the state. Please check our website frequently for the latest updates. Vaccinations won’t be scheduled through your provider’s office, so please don’t call your doctor about COVID-19 vaccination appointments or scheduling exceptions – including for those ages 16-64 with qualifying health conditions who are eligible for vaccination in California beginning March 15.​
Vaccination Elsewhere​
We understand you may be offered vaccination options outside of Sutter. As a Sutter patient, you don’t need to be vaccinated by Sutter, and you’re welcome to get vaccinated elsewhere. For help finding other vaccination sites near you, California has compiled a list of local COVID-19 resource websites."​
Keeping You Informed​
We’ll continue to keep you updated on the vaccine rollout. For the latest updates, please check your My​
I was concentrating on CVS and Walgreens here in Massachusetts for appointments. Finally scored 2 for me and my wife, me being 65 and my wife who is younger but has 2 comorbidities.Spent 4 or 5 hours at various times of the day and night to get them. The state site was awful so I didn't bother with that. We got our 1st vaccines on 2/20 with our 2nd scheduled on 3/20. Once at CVS it was a breeze, about 20 minutes.

Got an e-mail from my Health Organization this morning. They are suspending the making of appointments for first vaccines due to a lack of vaccine. If they don't have enough vaccine for the first tier of recipients, it is going to take a LONG LONG time to get to the rest of us.
Tvguy, from your other posts it seems like you're from CA. I just checked and CVS has availability in many CA city and towns.Just an fyi.

Yeah, here in Alabama, eligibility is 65+ or one of the following:
  • First responders
  • Corrections officers
  • Food and agriculture workers
  • U.S. Postal Service workers
  • Manufacturing workers
  • Grocery store workers
  • Public transit workers
  • People who work in the education sector (teachers, support staff, community college and higher education)
  • Childcare workers
  • Judiciary (including but not limited to) circuit judges, district judges and district attorneys
We have been in this phase since February 8th.

With all this discussions of vaccinations in the States, has anyone looked into what the islands are doing to protect their citizens? Honestly, I can't imagine any port actually allowing ships full of guests onto their islands for a few hours every day if they themselves aren't vaccinated.

Follow up, searching online Bahamian newspapers. It seems the Bahamas isn't expected to get Astra vaccines until late March and will prioritize health care workers and the elderly receive them first. The Bahamas is also requiring a negative covid test before arrival into the country.

Regarding eligibility:

According to Dr. Scott Gottleib, by April, we should have more supply than demand. He believes that all Americans 18 and over will simply be able to make an appointment and get vaccinated by that time.

Regarding eligibility:

According to Dr. Scott Gottleib, by April, we should have more supply than demand. He believes that all Americans 18 and over will simply be able to make an appointment and get vaccinated by that time.

I really hope this is correct, though I personally think it is a little optimistic that it will be true in all areas. We will see! I do feel that time is a closer now, though, and I remain very hopeful of things returning to something approaching normal soon. It won't truly be back to normal for a while yet, I know, and there are still the under 18 crowd to deal with, but it just feels a lot closer to the time when it might be realistic to say that we can get back to a fairly normal life. *fingers and toes crossed*

Today: "Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an executive order to expand COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to people age 50 and up who are sworn law enforcement officers, firefighters, and teachers." (News13)

As of last Friday, he signed an order allowing "doctors along with registered nurses and pharmacists . . . to vaccinate those under 65 years old who have a doctor's note showing them to be “extremely vulnerable” to COVID-19." (News13)

Regarding eligibility:

You'll be able to knock me over with a feather if that happens. My parents (in their 70s, dad with health conditions that qualify as high-risk outside of age) just got their first shot a few days ago. They had to travel 2h from their home (AWAY from a large city) to get it in the middle of nowhere. All because my sister happened to hear about a national guard pop-up site in a rural town. They're still vaccinating only 75 and up in their home county.

Royal’s Odyssey sailings have been shifted to Israel. All crew and passengers 16+ will be vaccinated. I won’t be surprised if that’s what it takes to open up cruising more broadly.
A bit like their Singapore sailings - and only open to the residents of Israel - but it may be what other cruise lines will have to do to fill in the lull. They are calling it 'fully vaccinated cruises'.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...accinated-sailing-new-cruise-ship/6871142002/

You'll be able to knock me over with a feather if that happens. My parents (in their 70s, dad with health conditions that qualify as high-risk outside of age) just got their first shot a few days ago. They had to travel 2h from their home (AWAY from a large city) to get it in the middle of nowhere. All because my sister happened to hear about a national guard pop-up site in a rural town. They're still vaccinating only 75 and up in their home county.

I guess it depends on the state and the city/town. There's a site in north Florida where they've given the vaccine to those younger than 65 because not enough in the qualifying crowd wants it and they won't want the vaccine to expire once opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter