The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Alternative to a wig since I agree with the Expert here. I tend to use this a lot when I do costumes:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GSRMP1Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YVDHP3AAD9235SHF4F6P
2 things to note:
1. How well this stuff works depends on the color your aiming for and your natural hair color.
2. This stuff can get everywhere when putting on and takes a few tries to learn how to do it.

You can see what:
View attachment 629008
keep in mind my hair is brownish normally. And if I tried this color again I probably would try adding a white layer to see if I can get it to lighten up some.
Thanks! I'll look into it. My hair is pretty dark currently. Good to know they have a white also, maybe to layer underneath. I did buy a spray can of yellow hair tint at Halloween time, thinking ahead in case I wanted to use it. But that really is *yellow* and not blond. May be an affront to Miss Piggy :cutie:
No way I'm wearing a whole wig, that's for sure.

Speaking from experience, wigs are hot, heavy and uncomfortable. I personally wouldn't wear one for more than a 10K. A ponytail piece might be easier, though. And this costume sounds AMAZING and I don't think the hair will make or break it. I'm a huge Muppet fan and can't wait to see it!
Yeah, a wig is OUT for me. Pig ears on a headband will be crucial whether I go blond or not!

I'd been debating dutch-braiding in color hair extensions for raps and merida. but I ultimately decided against it because I honestly don't think I'll be awake enough at 2am to get them in and looking nice AND get out the door on time.

I'd been debating dutch-braiding in color hair extensions for raps and merida. but I ultimately decided against it because I honestly don't think I'll be awake enough at 2am to get them in and looking nice AND get out the door on time.
Yeah, I'm talking literally jamming a blond ponytail into my ponytail holder with my regular hair underneath. I didn't promise it will look good or like real hair!

Yeah, a wig is OUT for me. Pig ears on a headband will be crucial whether I go blond or not!

Since you have a headband, maybe you could attach some blonde pieces or extensions to that? It might better distribute any extra weight and it wouldn't be sitting right on your scalp, and you could still include that hair in your ponytail.

Since you have a headband, maybe you could attach some blonde pieces or extensions to that? It might better distribute any extra weight and it wouldn't be sitting right on your scalp, and you could still include that hair in your ponytail.
:scratchin

Flat lay?
I've never heard that term either but more often see "flat me" or "flat runner" :D

I usually post mine to instagram and FB the night before each race, but will try to remember to come here, too.
Yeah, I usually hear it called ‘flat runner’ or ‘flat (insert name here)’.
Pretty much it is what you are planning to wear, laid out kind of how you would wear it, just without your body in it. 🤣
2635968C-5AE4-4C10-9C3A-99EE2360ABE2.jpeg

I think I've finally decided on mine, but I may change some up.

5K - Kevin from Up. I did this for the 5K in 2018, so thats why I'm hesitant to do it again. But the rainbow tutu I have lights up and I love it, and I can't think of another character I could use it for.

10K- either Rapunzel or Minnie. I have done both before, but love both. Especially my little Pascal.

Half - I'm thinking of making a Foolish Mortal shirt to wear for this and do a HM theme.

Full - Dopey, and I'm making a shirt for this one as well.

The shirts haven't been made yet, but I have the designs ready to go.

But things may change between now and then.

So I attempted a new “cheat” braid technique and it was a horrible fail. And then I tried Dutch braids and then French braids and ugh.
I chopped about 10in off my hair a year-ish ago and I’ve lived in a ponytail since then. I used to have no problems braiding waist length hair, but just past my shoulders? Impossible. And if I can’t figure out the braids I’m going to have to rethink my rapunzel hair ideas

So I attempted a new “cheat” braid technique and it was a horrible fail. And then I tried Dutch braids and then French braids and ugh.
I chopped about 10in off my hair a year-ish ago and I’ve lived in a ponytail since then. I used to have no problems braiding waist length hair, but just past my shoulders? Impossible. And if I can’t figure out the braids I’m going to have to rethink my rapunzel hair ideas
Have you looked into one of those hats with hair? That might be an easy option.

Have you looked into one of those hats with hair? That might be an easy option.
Oh I’m not trying to get a super LONG braid to be screen-accurate. Plus I have a big head (partially because of how thick my hair is) and women’s’ hats basically don’t fit me.
It could just be an “out of practice” thing, but it was a good thing I checked early so I wasn’t crying on race morning. 😂

I'm in the test run phase of my costumes. As a refresher, I'm doing my first Dopey and all four of my costumes relate to WDW in 1971 in some way.

Dopey costume test run #2: Haunted Mansion umbrella portrait costume from Etsy:

I was worried the skirt would get in my way but it's really comfortable, and the shorts I got for underneath are just the right length. I added a little body glide under the arm bands and choker, and that helped when they started out scratchy. I did 11 miles in this today and it was totally fine, so I think I'll stick with this for the Half.

Last edited:
That just past the shoulders length is hard to braid! The hair is just not long enough to really get incorporated into a braid and stay put. I used to french braid my hair for running when it was longer (maybe bra line length) but even just a few inches shorter and it won't stay in place and you have all these weird pieces poking out of the end part of the braid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter