The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

I have a lavender/lilac skirt on the way and need to figure out if I want to go more Daisy Duck or more Rapunzel with it. And if I want it to be "inspired" or more "costume-y" since it's for the full. There are SO MANY tank tops on etsy that I like the designs, but they are on tri-blend tanks that I know from experience stretch and sag like crazy when they get wet and/or sweaty. Send help.

I haven't received them yet, but I ordered a tank and leggings from the DreamItbyYLW Etsy shop. They are a 82% polyester and 18% spandex blend. There were lots of good pics & reviews, so I'm hopeful. They also have a lot of options including both Daisy & Rapunzel.

Holy decision fatigue, Batman! (Are we allowed to reference DC characters on a Disney forum? ) One costume down, half of one to go.

I have a lavender/lilac skirt on the way and need to figure out if I want to go more Daisy Duck or more Rapunzel with it. And if I want it to be "inspired" or more "costume-y" since it's for the full. There are SO MANY tank tops on etsy that I like the designs, but they are on tri-blend tanks that I know from experience stretch and sag like crazy when they get wet and/or sweaty. Send help.

I like iGlowRunning and RunSewSweet on Etsy for running costumes. I usually wait for a sale before purchasing. I just placed an order last week for the first time from TutuFactory. I have heard good things from them from running groups on Facebook. I 100% do not have the patience for crafting and sewing. I’d rather buy and resell. I decided to dress up for Dopey. I blame it on post surgery recovery boredom.

5K - Lilo - I already have a red running t-shirt and a green tutu. Just need to hit up a party or craft store for a lei and the green headpiece and bracelets she wears.

10K - Pua from Moana. My daughter’s favorite animal (besides horses) are pigs.

1/2 - Daisy Duck - She’s one of my favorite characters and never seems to get enough love.

Marathon - no plans, but I may just recycle something I already have in my closet. Comfort is my #1 goal for 26.2 miles.

Right now I’m still debating if I want to re-accessorize my W&D 10K Outfit or make a purple skirt with the fabric I have and do something with that

Holy decision fatigue, Batman! (Are we allowed to reference DC characters on a Disney forum? ) One costume down, half of one to go.

I've been happy running in things from kawaiian pizza apparel and DreamItbyYLW in the past. I recently got something from DreamWardrobeShop and was disappointed by how pixelated the design was.

I was recently inspired by posts on a different thread talking about mash-up costumes and decided to give it a try. I went all in yesterday putting something together, but now today I'm like...hmm...
"Blue Fairy Skyliner Cast Member" just doesn't have the same zip to it as "Skipper Rey". :laughing:
This is my lineup (subject to change as I trial run and see what works best at different distances):

5k - Luca
10K - Pua from Moana.

10k - I plan on Hei Hei!
Half - BFSCM🙂
Full - Captain America

Tank top for the purple skirt has been ordered. Now to figure out accessories (arm sleeves? calf sleeves?) And hair. And debating how annoying a flower crown could be for 26.2 miles. :rolleyes1 And how to make my tutu "lay down" a little more (will take some experimenting with the iron i think) but not so much that it gets stuck between my legs.

Tank top for the purple skirt has been ordered. Now to figure out accessories (arm sleeves? calf sleeves?) And hair. And debating how annoying a flower crown could be for 26.2 miles. :rolleyes1 And how to make my tutu "lay down" a little more (will take some experimenting with the iron i think) but not so much that it gets stuck between my legs.

I'm also doing tutu troubleshooting, and read somewhere to simply trim a few layers out of the sides. I may have to try that. I fear ironing would melt it. Tulle and ironing don't really mix well.

Re arm sleeves vs calf sleeves, I vote arm sleeves. Reason: if they start annoying you, you can probably yank them off and shove them in a pocket. Calf sleeves might involve sprawling on the ground and shoe removal, which sounds like a nightmare to me.

For anyone that wants a laugh...I was contemplating running in a Tigger costume which would consist of a shirt that I found on Etsy, black shorts and one of my kids' Tigger tails that we got at Disney World (the kind with the velcro to attach the tail to your waist). I went out for a test run of only a mile and it was fine, for the most part. However, the problem arose when my daughter recorded some video to see how it looked and the tail went in between my legs and almost tripped me. It was rather funny and I definitely determined that this was not the way to go for 26.2 miles.

I’m doing Eda from The Owl House for one of the legs. Don’t ask me which I haven’t picked yet other than not the 5 since that’s traditionally my Tardis dress run. And Im probably sticking to that.

it hit yesterday that since I’m doing duo. I don’t have a lot of the normal race concerns. So I might go a bit more outside the box for the half/full. And not just an outfit themed after a character.

For me it is looking like:
5K - Mr Incredible
10K - Deadpool
Half - Capt America
Full - Mr Incredible

I'd really like to score a photo with the Incredibles while in costume. Which probably sounds like a silly goal for an adult, but I'm all about the photo ops. The plan is to hit HS and Galaxy's Edge after the 5K, so maybe get a character photo then.

Reading about the character photo lines: I'll do it for a short wait. But 20-30 minutes? It would have to be a very special character(s). The first year I ran, I happened to catch Alice and the Hatter right as they walked out, and Buzz Lightyear took just a few minutes. I think the longest I waited was either Cinderella and *everyone* else at the castle (plus some lady who also jumped in), or the Pirates of the Caribbean and their ship backstage. That was worth the short wait.

I think the longest we waited was vacation genie during the wine & dine 2017 10k (we may of waited a bit longer for jiminy cricket during 2019’s 10k but we were in an earlier coral so we felt comfortable and weren’t paying attention) I think most others i have stopped for in my RunDisney history were 5-10 mins (Keni & Koda also in 17, Ezra & Sabine SW 10k 2018, Dopey, Flick W&D5k 2019, Bowler Hat Guy 2019 10k, Big Bad Wolf 2021 10k)

pre COVID I used to be able to take a loot at a line and tell you how long it would take approximately. Not sure how well it will still work when I dust it off in January.

Most of the longest lines are at the 5 for obvious reasons. (No sweep)

If they’re rare and relatively obscure like Chicken Little or the Ostrach from Fantasia they’ll have no wait.

If they’re popular plus rare that’s when your looking at a 15-20 minute line min. Longer if they’re really rare or they’re rare and grouped together with other rates. Dopey at the 2020 1/2 Marathon took around 20-25 minutes I think. I remember one year seeing a Villains line for three different photos that I passed on that had to have been in the 20 plus range

Of course if you get lucky and hit them around when they’re coming out after having not been out at all because of weather or other issues. You might get popular plus rare with a short line. I once got through a Mat Hatter line in under 5 minutes because he had just come out.

But on average waits usually hover in the 5-10 minute range in my experience.

Here are my costumes!
Park day Friday: Eeyore disneybound (I got an Eeyore skirt on Etsy and Eeyore ears, haven’t figured out to yet)
Half: Pegasus (my husband will be Hercules). I am wearing all white athletic gear from Athleta plus a white sparkle skirt. I will have a hat with Pegasus features and a tail from Etsy! I customed the hat so it will be my own— I sweat so much so the original was not going to cut it. I also ordered the shoe wings clips from sparkle athletic I am very excited for this!
Full: Ariel because she says “up where they walk, up where they run” and this girl plans to mostly walk the marathon! I will have the green mermaid sparkle skirt, a purple shirt from Athleta, and my purple Nathan hydration vest. Plus a little Max tsum tsum and hopefully some pins. Fingers crossed that sparkle athletic restocks the red visor in time! I’d love to order that too.

If anyone has any fun ideas for these characters let me know! I love dressing up.

I'm in the test run phase of my costumes. As a refresher, I'm doing my first Dopey and all four of my costumes relate to WDW in 1971 in some way. Since I had most of the pieces for it, I tested what I think will be my 10K costume today: a 1971 VIP Tour Guide!

I do need to find a white t-shirt to go under this, attach the patch and name tag to the vest, shorten the collar strap, and attach the gold Mickey tie tack to it. But this is pretty close to race ready! The hat is big and heavy, but not as uncomfortable as I feared. Most annoying thing is carrying the crop, but it has loops around the strap so it's not too bad. This costume is HOT as it is mostly real clothes (and that skirt is vintage), so I reserve the right to swap this to the 5K if the forecast is trending hot. (Though my 5K costume depends on darkness for the whole race, so TBD on that.)

Don't remember if I said here already, but I'm running Goofy and my half costume will be First Mate Piggy from Pigs in Space on the Muppet Show. My mom is making my costume and it's very good if I do say so myself! Not having long blond hair, I'm deciding whether to get a cheap fake blond ponytail to stick in my real ponytail to blond it up, or just go with my own hair and living with not being perfectly Piggy.

Similar hair issue for the full: I am more or less -bounding as Gazelle from Zootopia. I was originally planning on making some kind of horns, but realized I do not want to run 26.2 miles with Gazelle-style horns on my head. So I'll try to do some hairstyle with pigtails and wrap them or something to more or less suggest horns. Also definitely NOT wearing a bra top, I'll wear a red tank instead, and to make my costume ("bound") more recognizable, I'm printing TRY EVERYTHING in Zootopia type font on the tank. I'm having my mom make a red shimmy-type skirt like Gazelle to go with it. Not as complete a costume as First Mate Piggy, but good enough for a marathon.

Can't wait to see you all! Everybody's ideas are great!

Not having long blond hair, I'm deciding whether to get a cheap fake blond ponytail to stick in my real ponytail to blond it up, or just go with my own hair and living with not being perfectly Piggy.

Speaking from experience, wigs are hot, heavy and uncomfortable. I personally wouldn't wear one for more than a 10K. A ponytail piece might be easier, though. And this costume sounds AMAZING and I don't think the hair will make or break it. I'm a huge Muppet fan and can't wait to see it!

Don't remember if I said here already, but I'm running Goofy and my half costume will be First Mate Piggy from Pigs in Space on the Muppet Show. My mom is making my costume and it's very good if I do say so myself! Not having long blond hair, I'm deciding whether to get a cheap fake blond ponytail to stick in my real ponytail to blond it up, or just go with my own hair and living with not being perfectly Piggy.

Similar hair issue for the full: I am more or less -bounding as Gazelle from Zootopia. I was originally planning on making some kind of horns, but realized I do not want to run 26.2 miles with Gazelle-style horns on my head. So I'll try to do some hairstyle with pigtails and wrap them or something to more or less suggest horns. Also definitely NOT wearing a bra top, I'll wear a red tank instead, and to make my costume ("bound") more recognizable, I'm printing TRY EVERYTHING in Zootopia type font on the tank. I'm having my mom make a red shimmy-type skirt like Gazelle to go with it. Not as complete a costume as First Mate Piggy, but good enough for a marathon.

Can't wait to see you all! Everybody's ideas are great!

Alternative to a wig since I agree with the Expert here. I tend to use this a lot when I do costumes:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GSRMP1Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YVDHP3AAD9235SHF4F6P
2 things to note:
1. How well this stuff works depends on the color your aiming for and your natural hair color.
2. This stuff can get everywhere when putting on and takes a few tries to learn how to do it.

You can see what:
6435E31D-BEDC-4F4C-870F-8969A4790149.jpeg
keep in mind my hair is brownish normally. And if I tried this color again I probably would try adding a white layer to see if I can get it to lighten up some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter