The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

That sounds very ambitious and very fun! I especially love the Anger / Donald combo since Donald is short-tempered!
A mid race costume "change" sounds fun. You'll get on-course photopass to document both. Just don't leave your bib on the discarded clothes! ;)

I definitely will have photopass -- yes! First thing I thought of when I decided to swap mid-race was how will anyone know?

I guess I should reveal my idea. It might be too complicated, so call me on this if I'm doing too much.

I was thinking about how the emotions in Inside Out correspond to the emotions we go through doing Dopey. You start out scared that you won't be able to do it, then sad that there are so many more miles to run, angry that you've done three races and you're still not halfway through the mileage, disgusted that you've gotten up so early to do this for 4 mornings in a row, and finally joy for having accomplished the whole thing. So I'm mashing up those emotions with the characters from each race theme:

5K: Fear/Pluto -- Sublimated print Fear tech shirt, denim look Bolder skirt, Pluto dog collar, dog ears and dog tail

10K: Sadness/Chip & Dale -- Sweater print tech shirt, blue Bolder skirt, chipmunk ear headband, brown arm sleeves and leggings (or compression calf sleeves if it's hot), chipmunk tail, oversize round glasses, blue hair

Half: Anger/Donald -- Sublimated print Anger tech shirt, duck tutu/feather skirt with yellow ribbon, duck tail, yellow calf sleeves, Anger light-up headband

Full: Disgust changes to Joy -- Using lightweight layers to start as Disgust, with the green vest, skirt and leggings or calf sleeves, pink scarf and green wig. All that would be over a Joy dress (I found the pattern on Spoonflower and ordered in tech fabric). At the castle, I'll grab a pic as Disgust then ditch those layers to turn into Joy, then get a pic as Joy. I'm literally dying my hair blue and already have the haircut, so I'll just ditch the wig and layers with DH (we're staying at BLT so he will be at MK or GF).

I'm making the Full costumes myself and don't really have the mashup element planned out yet, so could use some advice on incorporating the mice. I bought fabric paint and was going to add Mickey ear shapes to both clothing patterns and possibly the scarf, and obviously I could do a generic ear headband. Is that enough?

So where the vinyl comes in is I'd like to have some kind of graphic on the back of every costume shirt that kind of explains what I'm doing with the emotions. Maybe a series of tick boxes that lay out the races, like this? Then each day, one more box is ticked?
x 5K: Filled with Fear
x 10K: Sad so many miles to go
x Half: Angry this isn't even halfway yet
x Full: Start in Disgust from the early wakeup calls
x ...End in Joy that you did Dopey!

I could also include illustrations of the characters on it somehow. I just don't want it to get too complicated.

So tell me honestly, am I doing to much with the mashups? Does it make sense? I'm looking for constructive criticism but also any thoughts or ideas you all have! I still need to create and apply the graphic to all the shirts and make the layered Disgust/Joy costumes for the full. I have most of the other elements purchased but it's not too late to make some adjustments.
This is such a fun idea! I love it!

Does anyone remember if Sparkle Athletic does any sort of Black Friday or cyber Monday sale?

Settling on PHM costumes and debating when to order!!

@TheExpert your costume ideas sound AMAZING! I'm trying to think of how you can add Mickey/Minnie elements to the marathon... I feel like ears are the best way to go. Hmmm. I can't wait to see it!

@TheExpert your costume ideas sound AMAZING! I'm trying to think of how you can add Mickey/Minnie elements to the marathon... I feel like ears are the best way to go. Hmmm. I can't wait to see it!

Until I re-inventoried for this post I had forgotten that I purchased fabric paint. I'm going to make a Mickey-shaped stamp and add not-so-hidden Mickeys to the pattern on both the Disgust and Joy fabric. I'm not sold on wearing Disney-made ears for the full as they tend to pinch my ears after a few hours (I wear glasses). Thinking of making some super lightweight ones.

You could definitely deck out with some accessories or details, depending on your comfort factor. Maybe a rose-themed patch or embroidery around the neckline? You could pin something on if you don't want to sew. You could add arm sleeves -- white with yellow ribbons at the top to look like long gloves, Belle-themed ears/crown/visor/hat?

Anyone have experience getting a *very thin* tech fabric hat custom embroidered? Would I be better off doing HTV on it instead? Some sort of iron on patch?DBB9BA7C-6D7A-4FDE-ADA1-ACB583B77F83.jpeg I’m also concerned that there’s a layer of athletic mesh on the inside of the hat and what embroidering would do to that….

Considering something along these lines in a dark blue:

Last edited:
Anyone have experience getting a *very thin* tech fabric hat custom embroidered? Would I be better off doing HTV on it instead? Some sort of iron on patch?View attachment 720425 I’m also concerned that there’s a layer of athletic mesh on the inside of the hat and what embroidering would do to that….

Considering something along these lines in a dark blue:

My guess is you don't want to embroider directly on it, but would instead apply a "patch" or another layer of fabric with the embroidery on it. I would think the mesh will be problematic, but I've never done machine embroidery so not sure about that.

HTV may very well be easier, but does it give you the look you want? I love the design!

I ordered this skirt during the Black Friday sale because it reminded me of Sorcerer Mickey.

C187F2AF-1736-4355-8E8A-490AB944EFD9.jpeg

If I can find a good red tank top I’m thinking this could be one of my MW costumes, but I think it might be pretty plain with just a tank and skirt. Thoughts? I don’t want to carry anything. I don’t run in hats, but would a headband make it better? Am I overthinking this?

I’m still debating on doing some sort of a Dopey themed costume for the marathon, but I like this idea for the marathon too since it’s Mickey and Minnie’s race… :scratchin

I ordered this skirt during the Black Friday sale because it reminded me of Sorcerer Mickey.

View attachment 721580

If I can find a good red tank top I’m thinking this could be one of my MW costumes, but I think it might be pretty plain with just a tank and skirt. Thoughts? I don’t want to carry anything. I don’t run in hats, but would a headband make it better? Am I overthinking this?

I’m still debating on doing some sort of a Dopey themed costume for the marathon, but I like this idea for the marathon too since it’s Mickey and Minnie’s race… :scratchin
accessories really plus up a costume (and i'm terrible at accessories) so I think it just depends on how hard you want to go at the costume. I know there's at least one red tank on etsy that has the rope belt printed on it in DreamItbyYLW (you could use *real* rope with just a red tank/top.) ,I'm pretty sure runsewsweet had one too. When you say "headband" do you mean a flat fabric one or like with ears or a plastic one with a little sorcerer mickey hat on it? That could be really cute, just be sure you have a way to carry it if you take it off during the race.

View attachment 721580

I don’t know if Whosits & whatsits still has their sorcerer Mickey inspired gaiter in stock it may not be as moister wicking as some sports headbands but I’ve used mine as a headband in the parks for bounding

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter