The Running Thread -- 2022

June Running Totals
Miles: 106.8
Average Pace: 12:33
Average HR: 119

As I have mentioned before, I run the vast majority of the time on the Des Plaines River Trail which goes about 53 miles from The Wisconsin/Illinois border to the near Western suburbs of Chicago. It is generally crushed limestone and 8+ feet wide with a few narrow sections and a few funky underpasses. I decided last month that I would create my own special event, The DPRT Challenge, running the entire length during the month of June. I live about a mile from about the middle of the trail.

Of course that really means running it twice, since after running a section of the trail I have to turn around and run back to my car. I started on June 1st and 21 runs later finished on June 30th. It took a bit of planning (and a few odd out-of-the way parking spots) but I ran the trail from south to north without skipping any sections or repeating any sections.

I haven't figured out a July Challenge yet, but I think it will involve fewer miles with some speed training, weight training, and dieting. I'll figure it out in the next 12 hours

Last edited:
I listened to the Galloway interview earlier this morning and I'm rather confused by his recommendation to run 26 miles in your training.

It's at 32:30 in the podcast if others want to find that specific question.

"Do I really need to train out to 26 miles?"

Galloway response:

Where do you want to hit the wall? He says it's well established that you'll hit the wall around 1 mile from your longest training run. If you can go 20, you can go 26 is a fallacy from other coaches. You'll get slower and slower. When a person goes from 20 mile max LR to 26 mile max LR improves by 15 min. He suggests BQ runners do 29 miles. The average improvement is 11 minutes.

That's about the extent of the conversation about the longest long run that I could find.

Let's use a 4:00 hour marathon runner and compare Daniels' suggestion to Galloway's suggestion. Daniels says the 4:00 hour marathon runner is capable of a 7:29 mile. So I'll be using the 7:29 mile as the Magic Mile.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 3.11.19 PM.png

Daniels suggests the following training paces:

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 3.09.33 PM.png

At 150-180 minutes, this runner will max their long run at 10:11 min/mile pace for about 14.7-17.7 miles.

Now let's look at Galloway's Magic Mile data for a 7:29 mile:

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 3.12.31 PM.png

The long run pace is 11:44 min/mile. That's just about 90 sec/mile slower than the pace Daniels suggests you run your long run at. So one of the reasons you are able to complete the Galloway long run of 26 miles (roughly 5 hours in this case) is because you're doing it at a much slower pace than the Daniels LR pace. That's a big key to the Galloway method and its use of the very long run. It's done at a much slower pace than other coaches recommend for the long run. Some argue that the faster long run but shorter distance is better, and others argue that the slower long run but longer distance is better. I have yet to see a conclusive research study that shows either to be better. I agree with Galloway that the much slower long run pace is more likely to keep you injury free. I'm not sure I'm on board with his idea that there isn't a "too slow" pace when it comes to the long run. It's the duration and pace combination where I'm still trying to find a line. But I do know I've had runners do the Galloway LR pace for only 180 min max and still comfortably complete the Dopey challenge without injury and in about the time we pre-predicted. They just do more mileage than the LR. And my focus is more on the totality of training than the singular long runs.

The predicted marathon time is 4:15:00. So Galloway is projecting a slower marathon finish time than the Daniels calculator. The other distances are reasonably close to each other (within a minute or so), but there's a relatively large difference in marathon projections. I'll use the real world Williams and Vickers data set for % probabilities using a HM time of 1:57 which is roughly in the middle of these two's predicted times.

-Only 2% of runners who run a 1:57 HM will run a 4:00 or better under similar conditions
-Only 37% of runners who run a 1:57 HM will run a 4:15 or better under similar conditions

So the Daniels calculator is overly ambitious in its prediction. The Galloway number is still a little above an average performance, but is more realistic.

As for the improvements he quotes (15 min for those doing 26 miles, and 11 min for those doing 29 miles), I'd want to see more context behind those statements. What were the runners doing prior during the rest of training? What was the pace of the 20 miler previously and the 26 miler that showed improvement? Outside of the change in LR distance, did the runners make any other changes? Was this going from a first marathon to a second marathon?

Moreover, I believe that Galloway stated that runners hit the wall at the longest number of miles that they run during their training.

Anecdotally, I'll provide you my experience. In the Fall of 2015, I changed from using the FIRST method, Galloway 3-day week marathon, or Galloway 3-5-day week Dopey training plan. I went with the Hansons 6-day plan. I went from multiple 20 miler training runs (albeit at a much faster LR pace than I should have been doing) during FIRST/Galloway to a peak LR of only 16 miles. I also increased my overall training load under Hansons by about double (last 13 weeks of training was 4 hrs per week increased to 7:50 hrs per week under Hansons). My average training pace comparing the two was 9:23 min/mile under FIRST/Galloway and 9:31 min/mile under Hansons. I improved my marathon PR by 42 min going from a 4:20 down to a 3:38. This wasn't merely a learned experience either. My marathons were 4:50, 4:35, 4:20, 4:27, and 4:58 under FIRST/Galloway over the course of 3 years. Hansons was my 6th marathon. Again, I peaked at 16 miles as my longest run. I did not hit the wall at 16 miles. During the second half of the marathon I set a new 10k PR. The entire second half of the marathon was only 13 seconds off my HM PR that I had only set 2 months prior on a known short course (so likely the 2nd half of the marathon was in fact a HM PR). And miles 19-21 (which are definitely after Mile 16) were only a few seconds off my then 5k PR. I did slow after Mile 21, but compared to average finish pace it was only between 0-2% (average pace was 8:21 and I did the last six miles in 7:48, 8:16, 8:14, 8:17, 8:28, and 8:27). I finished that race at an 8:21 min/mile which was far faster than my average training pace of 9:31 min/mile. That was one of my best pacing experiences even with 10 more marathons after that one. My last marathon (Nov 2022) I peaked at 17 miles (or 2:09 hrs) and ran my second fastest time of 3:15. During my 2020 Disney training I did LRs of 20.8, 21.4 and 22.8 miles and finished in 3:35.

I'm currently following Canova's marathon training philosophy for the 2022 Madison Marathon. It includes successive "waves of long runs". So the first wave of long runs will be in the beginning/middle of the training and will be at a much slower pace than I normally do them at (M Tempo is 7:02 and he has me doing them at 80% or 8:26 min/mile). I will do that up to about the duration I expect to finish in (around 3 hours or 21 miles). That'll peak with about 10-11 weeks to go until race day. As the 8:26 min/mile LR is building in my off weeks I will be building long runs at 7:44 pace and 7:23 pace at increasingly shorter durations (never more than 2 hours). So it's a little bit of fusing of the much slower but longer Galloway runs with the faster, but shorter Hansons/Daniels LRs. Canova's philosophy is to use the slower/longer training runs in the beginning/middle to enable your body physically to be able to handle the training of the faster/shorter and more specific training runs that occur in the last 10 weeks.

It's at 32:30 in the podcast if others want to find that specific question.

"Do I really need to train out to 26 miles?"

Galloway response:

Where do you want to hit the wall? He says it's well established that you'll hit the wall around 1 mile from your longest training run. If you can go 20, you can go 26 is a fallacy from other coaches. You'll get slower and slower. When a person goes from 20 mile max LR to 26 mile max LR improves by 15 min. He suggests BQ runners do 29 miles. The average improvement is 11 minutes.

Wow. I have nothing but respect for Jeff Galloway and what he's accomplished both as a coach and a runner, but this is just arrogant and flies in the face of other well-established coaches' programs.

Anecdotally, as well, it just doesn't hold up to scrutiny either. I've run 13 marathons at this point, primarily using @DopeyBadger plans, and have never run longer than 16 miles in a single run during a marathon training plan. I've only truly hit the wall once and that was due to mistakes I made with pacing in combination with a bad stomach that prevented me from taking in enough nutrition during the race.

In addition, two of my three PR marathons were run as negative splits. The most recent PR of 3:57:30 was run using a suite of training paces targeting a 3:54:30 marathon so it's not like I "trained fast and raced slow" to achieve the negative split. I'm a mid-pack runner, so I'm not some kind of outlier from a capability standpoint, either.

I hate seeing well-known and well-respected individuals tout beliefs like this as fact. Newer runners may react to the name and eschew more appropriate plans for their purposes because they believe him when he essentially says the other coaches' plans won't work. There are plenty of well-worn, tried and true training plans that will get runners to a good marathon finish and no one benefits from one coach casting aspersions at the others' plans.

Last edited:
June Running Totals
Miles: 46
Average Pace: 10:36

Considering that I was traveling for half the month, I feel pretty good about my June total. After mentally falling apart on a hilly half marathon course in May, I started varying the incline on my morning treadmill runs and it totally sucks. But I'm hoping in a month or two it doesn't seem quite as hard.

June 2022 Training Summary

Running duration = 28:43 hours
Running mileage = 188.8 miles
Average Pace = 9:09 min/mile (about 100 sec/mile slower than recent Marathon)
Average HR = 128 (17 bpm less than recent Marathon)
Strength Training = 6:58 hours
Total Training Time = 35:41 hours

G training = 4.4 miles (including her 3rd ever 5k)

June was the last month of Canova's Introduction phase for me towards the Nov Madison Marathon. The focus had been on limiting my running to no more than one hour of easy per day, on hill runs of 15s w/ 2 min RI, and on strength training with HIIT. I've been hitting top speeds in the 2:30s (I question the legitimacy of this data) on the uphill and reps in the 4:15-4:50s. Now the Canova General phase begins and the focus shifts from those things towards including harder runs with a blending of HIIT. Today was my first Canova circuit:

3 sets of (3 sets of (6 x 400m at 100% M Tempo w/ 30 sec HIIT exercise between reps) w/ 5 min resting interval between sets. HIIT exercises included: squats, squat jumps, squat jacks, lunges, lunges w/ power through, butt kicks, skipping, bunny hops, or bounding.

It was interesting. Felt like a good introduction to running hard without actually being terribly difficult. Excited to get back into hard running and looking forward to some months of 225-250 miles. Excited to try this new methodology of training. Despite only doing one hour per day of easy running, my HRvPace data suggests I'm in the best shape of my life as it relates to low HR running. So it'll be interesting to see how that translates to the harder efforts.

G and I had our 5k earlier this month, but she hasn't had much time for running this summer. She's in two plays (Addams Family and Frozen) and that's taking up a bunch of her time. We'll fit in the running once things calm back down in August.

Wow. I have nothing but respect for Jeff Galloway and what he's accomplished both as a coach and a runner, but this is just arrogant and flies in the face of other well-established coaches' programs.

Anecdotally, as well, it just doesn't hold up to scrutiny either. I've run 13 marathons at this point, primarily using @DopeyBadger plans, and have never run longer than 16 miles in a single run during a marathon training plan. I've only truly hit the wall once and that was due to mistakes I made with pacing in combination with a bad stomach that prevented me from taking in enough nutrition during the race.

In addition, two of my three PR marathons were run as negative splits. The most recent PR of 3:57:30 was run using a suite of training paces targeting a 3:54:30 marathon so it's not like I "trained fast and raced slow" to achieve the negative split. I'm a mid-pack runner, so I'm not some kind of outlier from a capability standpoint, either.

I hate seeing well-known and well-respected individuals tout beliefs like this as fact. Newer runners may react to the name and eschew more appropriate plans for their purposes because they believe him when he essentially says the other coaches' plans won't work. There are plenty of well-worn, tried and true training plans that will get runners to a good marathon finish and no one benefits from one coach casting aspersions at the others' plans.

I'm not sure why exactly he touts this "have to run 26 miles" mentality. Maybe it is the audience he generally speaks to which are newer runners aiming just to finish but he is on an island alone from my experience with that recommendation. My fastest marathon was with nothing longer than a 18 mile run and some Hanson plans max at 16 for pros.

Started July off with my usual 5 mile loop and decided to give myself a challenge. It seems I’m slowing down the last couple months and with nothing on the calendar this is the best fit in my schedule to try for a streak. Rather than worrying about speed, I’m going to go for miles. I run 10 miles/Mondays and 5/T-Sat now so I’m going to go for everyday in the month of July. Throwing it out here because now that it’s out, I feel there is some accountability, and hope I can push myself mentally to complete the challenge and hit a new monthly PR.
We’ll see in a month…

This summer has not been a good one for running so far. I'm really struggling in this heat and humidity. Not sure if it's age catching up with me, accumulated fatigue or something else, but I'm struggling to maintain even adjusted pacing on runs over ~8 miles when the T+D gets over 150 or so and I've seen them up to 171 so far this summer. It doesn't help that I think my back bruising issue from last month must've involved my ribs, too, because it didn't fully clear up until last week. Couple all that with the stress of a couple of outside audits at work and I've been mentally exhausted before I even get to my runs in the evening.

Ah, well, enough pity party for now. At least I'm able to be out there running. Here are the numbers for June:

June Summary
Running Miles: 159.24
Running Time: 27:59:20
Average Pace: 10:32/mi
Average HR: 150/min
YTD Running Miles: 939.74

Extras:
Walking Miles: 37.69
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,964.07

As a bonus for this month, puppy pics! We lost one of our 2.5yo bulldogs suddenly and unexpectedly just before Christmas last year. Bella was DWs heart dog and she's been feeling the loss acutely. As a teacher, now is the time for her to bond with and train a new puppy, so she'd been looking and we went to meet the litter a couple of hours from home last weekend.

We went with one of the boys of the litter in mind, but it was one of the girls that kept our hearts as we drove home. We won't be able to bring her home until the 13th or so, but in the meantime I present to you Luna, in all her glory and attitude:

1CBB6A84-DA88-466F-B0A3-F486E2E6E5D2.jpeg

85016991-E885-4932-9EBC-E2499F377AF3.jpeg

This summer has not been a good one for running so far. I'm really struggling in this heat and humidity. Not sure if it's age catching up with me, accumulated fatigue or something else, but I'm struggling to maintain even adjusted pacing on runs over ~8 miles when the T+D gets over 150 or so and I've seen them up to 171 so far this summer. It doesn't help that I think my back bruising issue from last month must've involved my ribs, too, because it didn't fully clear up until last week. Couple all that with the stress of a couple of outside audits at work and I've been mentally exhausted before I even get to my runs in the evening.

Ah, well, enough pity party for now. At least I'm able to be out there running. Here are the numbers for June:

June Summary
Running Miles: 159.24
Running Time: 27:59:20
Average Pace: 10:32/mi
Average HR: 150/min
YTD Running Miles: 939.74

Extras:
Walking Miles: 37.69
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,964.07

As a bonus for this month, puppy pics! We lost one of our 2.5yo bulldogs suddenly and unexpectedly just before Christmas last year. Bella was DWs heart dog and she's been feeling the loss acutely. As a teacher, now is the time for her to bond with and train a new puppy, so she'd been looking and we went to meet the litter a couple of hours from home last weekend.

We went with one of the boys of the litter in mind, but it was one of the girls that kept our hearts as we drove home. We won't be able to bring her home until the 13th or so, but in the meantime I present to you Luna, in all her glory and attitude:

View attachment 680804

View attachment 680805
I LOVE her and her sassy face!!!!

June Totals

Between the sudden appearance of summer heat, 500 bags of mulch needing spreading, and a pulled calf muscle, I didn’t get as much running done as I had scheduled for this month. But I did get some extra time in on the stationary bike, so I didn’t feel entirely lazy.

Running
Time: 8h 59m 55s
Miles: 41.81

Walking
Time: 52m 2s
Miles: 2.65

Cycling
Time: 4h 7m 14s
Miles: 67.12

Cross Training
Time: 5h 43m 28s
Calories: 2,580

Mulch Spreading
Approximate Time: 11h 56m 48s

June Totals

Between the sudden appearance of summer heat, 500 bags of mulch needing spreading, and a pulled calf muscle, I didn’t get as much running done as I had scheduled for this month. But I did get some extra time in on the stationary bike, so I didn’t feel entirely lazy.

Running
Time: 8h 59m 55s
Miles: 41.81

Walking
Time: 52m 2s
Miles: 2.65

Cycling
Time: 4h 7m 14s
Miles: 67.12

Cross Training
Time: 5h 43m 28s
Calories: 2,580

Mulch Spreading
Approximate Time: 11h 56m 48s
Almost 12 hours of mulch...that's a lot of mulch! I hope that your calf feels better soon.

I could be wrong, but I think that many gravitate to Galloway because he is the "official runDisney training consultant." Beginners forgo doing research because they assume that his plans are best because he is the official runDisney running coach.

His statement about hitting the wall reminded of something that I heard from Chris Twiggs (who works for Jeff Galloway as a run coach) in an interview with the Rise and Run podcast when he was discussing hydration. He was talking about the danger of hyponatremia (1:01:41) and he made the recommendation to "drink to thirst when you feel thirsty, but otherwise don't force it." Mind you, I live in South Florida so I am concerned with dehydration because I run in the high heat and humidity for most of the year, but I was floored when I heard this. He did not mention doing a sweat test at all! Moreover, once you are feeling thirsty you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration.

Just joined DVC (well, just bought some points off resale) and am thinking about Disney Marathon in next couple of years. Haven’t run it since 2005. Still remember my dad (also did it) limping around a bar that had animatronic shows pop up o e in a while. Good times :)

Fast forward 17 years and I’m now a guy who hits the elliptical in my basement every day and walks 2 dogs. Wondering if marathon is worth the effort. (I know only I can answer that hahah).

How’s marathon been for y’all? Any watchouts on planning and such?

June
89 miles of running - the heat and humidity really started to hit towards the end of the month. My pace is steadily climbing which is what I expected but I have seen some fast miles.
305 miles of cycling -

My totals are well above my plans for the year which is good news; need more rest in the schedule

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter