The Running Thread -- 2022

QOTD: I’ve been a runner since middle school - my first run was probably 5th grade cross country. Our school librarian was the coach and practice was after school - I was 10 years old, so 1990-ish.

Ironically, we live a few towns away - but just this week I have been back to that school because my daughter is attending band camp there. I’m planning a run there on Friday while she’s at camp - will definitely be a trip down memory lane!!

This all makes me think of a somewhat related question... what was your first fitness-tracking watch or other device?

Mine was also a Garmin Forerunner 305. I sorta miss seeing the screen showing the sattelites as it tried to find them, although not the time it took to connect to them. Lord help you if you moved while trying to get them to connect!

This all makes me think of a somewhat related question... what was your first fitness-tracking watch or other device?

I had a fitbit before I started running and tried different phone apps to varying degrees of success. A few months in, when I knew this was going to stick, I got my first Garmin -- a purple Garmin Forerunner 10. I still have it in my drawer.

Fitbit Flex for me. I remember thinking all of those Fitbits were really ugly, but I finally bought a Flex to make myself go a certain number of steps each day. They were terrible devices. My Flex died in under a year. Fitbit sent me a warranty replacement and that one also died within 6 months. So, that was that. DW had one of the more advanced Fitbits (don't remember which one), and similarly it too died right around the year mark.

ATTQOTD: I'm sure my first run of a mile would have been during the Presidential Fitness test in elementary school. I ran track in 7th and 8th grade and in training for other sports but nothing was really ever more than a mile or two. Got into it more in 2009, when I had a friend who training for the Pittsburgh Half when they brought it back after a few years suspending it. First race was a 5k in 2011 and then like a lot others here, things snowballed from there.

First GPS watch was the Nike+ Sportwatch. It was pretty bare-bones: two fields of data, one of which had to be distance. A day or two after syncing, it would take a good 5 minutes to find a signal. I'd be waiting around with my arm held up because that extra few feet closer to the sky would make a difference lol. Wearables have come a far way in the past decade.

ATTQOTD: did the usual running in PE in elementary/middle school but was never good. I do remember ~2 mile warmups before rugby practice in high school, and then getting bribed by the coach to join the cross country team since that was the other sport she coached (I was solidly back (last?) of the pack and only ever trained with the team, never participated in any actual races). Sporadically jogged in college when I thought I was getting too sedentary (with my walkman!) but always hated running until somehow getting pulled into runDisney for Marathon Weekend 2016 (started training May 2015). Since then: three 5Ks, one 4M, six 10Ks, two 15Ks, two 10Ms, ten halfs, and a full.

The 2016 Donald Half was my first race. First (and still main) tracking app was runkeeper via my phone (though I port to Strava). There must have been other runs before this, but this is my first tracked activity:
File.jpg

ATTQOTD: did the usual running in PE in elementary/middle school but was never good. I do remember ~2 mile warmups before rugby practice in high school, and then getting bribed by the coach to join the cross country team since that was the other sport she coached (I was solidly back (last?) of the pack and only ever trained with the team, never participated in any actual races). Sporadically jogged in college when I thought I was getting too sedentary (with my walkman!) but always hated running until somehow getting pulled into runDisney for Marathon Weekend 2016 (started training May 2015). Since then: three 5Ks, one 4M, six 10Ks, two 15Ks, two 10Ms, ten halfs, and a full.

The 2016 Donald Half was my first race. First (and still main) tracking app was runkeeper via my phone (though I port to Strava). There must have been other runs before this, but this is my first tracked activity:
View attachment 680251
That reservoir is called the "Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir"? I don't think I ever knew that!

At my track workout tonight, I decided to see how fast I could run a mile. The temp + dew was 137. I don’t really know what that means or how much it might have affected me. I just know I felt very hot.

I did the mile in 11:48 according to my Garmin and 11:35 according to Strava (which my Garmin data automatically uploads to). It was a PR for my Garmin, so the fastest I’ve done a mile since 2015 I guess. I know I ran a 10 minute mile once in 2014 but that was pre-Garmin days. I walked for a few seconds between each lap but mostly ran the whole time. Does anyone know why there is a 13 second difference between Garmin and Strava?

Before the mile, I did one lap around the track (12:36 pace), went up and down the stadium steps a few times, and did some dynamic warm up moves. Afterward, I ran/walked another 1.3 miles (16:41 pace). I was sooo hot and my water was hot and it was sad lol.

Based on this and according to Galloway, I should be doing a 60:30 run:walk ratio, right?

Edit:

When I look at the Garmin data it also says 11:35:
DC965BC5-B77F-4478-825A-4A793469C290.jpeg

But when I finished the workout this is what my watch said:
B0F514A6-C51E-4FBF-8C1B-4037CBDD1DB3.jpeg

At my track workout tonight, I decided to see how fast I could run a mile. The temp + dew was 137. I don’t really know what that means or how much it might have affected me. I just know I felt very hot.

I did the mile in 11:48 according to my Garmin and 11:35 according to Strava (which my Garmin data automatically uploads to). It was a PR for my Garmin, so the fastest I’ve done a mile since 2015 I guess. I know I ran a 10 minute mile once in 2014 but that was pre-Garmin days. I walked for a few seconds between each lap but mostly ran the whole time. Does anyone know why there is a 13 second difference between Garmin and Strava?

Before the mile, I did one lap around the track (12:36 pace), went up and down the stadium steps a few times, and did some dynamic warm up moves. Afterward, I ran/walked another 1.3 miles (16:41 pace). I was sooo hot and my water was hot and it was sad lol.

Based on this and according to Galloway, I should be doing a 60:30 run:walk ratio, right?

Edit:

When I look at the Garmin data it also says 11:35:
View attachment 680369

But when I finished the workout this is what my watch said:
View attachment 680370
What pace are you going for? For what distance? That pace Magic Mile would put you at 12:21 for a 5K, 13:34 for 10K, 14:10 for a half and 15:20 for a full. Your easy/long run pace would be 2 minutes slower than your race pace. If you are doing Galloway I would do a 30/30 maybe for the smaller distances and maybe 30/60 for the longer. But I'm not an expert by any means. My long run pace is 12:45 and I use a 30/30 for that.

What pace are you going for? For what distance? That pace Magic Mile would put you at 12:21 for a 5K, 13:34 for 10K, 14:10 for a half and 15:20 for a full. Your easy/long run pace would be 2 minutes slower than your race pace.
Thank you! This was helpful. I think I was reading the Galloway chart wrong— I thought it was giving people intervals based on their mile time, but it is really what ideal pace you want to be going.

The paces you outlined seem about right for me right now. Granted it was very hot today so I am hoping I could be a little faster. My ultimate goal would be to have a 13:00-14:00 marathon pace… which would mean around a 9:00-10:00 minute mile right? Hmmm.

I’ve never really trained with paces before. Always just doing whatever felt good at the moment with the goal to finish. It is interesting to learn all of this!

Catching up on QOTD
aside from the 1 year of HS track and many years of soccer, my attitude was who in the world would run? I have a car to gat places!
never thought I would run until I was sidelined from life for a year with back to back shoulder surgeries. Ended up that after a lot of time on the couch I could walk for excercise and if I wanted, light jogging but ‘be aware tripping and catching yourself could lead to bad things’
about this time we were planning our 20th anniversary cruise and discovered there is a race on Castaway Cay!
so my first official 5K was in paradise 7-20-2016 and took almost 40 minutes if I remember correctly, no watch or app to track it at that time. Then it was discovered that they ran in the parks as well so a couple 5ks later and I was hooked, the wife and daughter - not so much. My real commitment and training started just before 2017 wine and dine challenge for my first half and escalated from there.

My first tracker was runkeeper on my phone which was quickly replaced with an Apple Watch 4, and is now Apple Watch 7.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter