The Running Thread -- 2022

Thank you! This was helpful. I think I was reading the Galloway chart wrong— I thought it was giving people intervals based on their mile time, but it is really what ideal pace you want to be going.

The paces you outlined seem about right for me right now. Granted it was very hot today so I am hoping I could be a little faster. My ultimate goal would be to have a 13:00-14:00 marathon pace… which would mean around a 9:00-10:00 minute mile right? Hmmm.

I’ve never really trained with paces before. Always just doing whatever felt good at the moment with the goal to finish. It is interesting to learn all of this!

If you do run by pace, make sure you're making the pace slower according to how hot and humid it is. For example, you ran that test mile with a T+D of 130-something. That T+D has an approximate 3% effect on your HR. What that means is that if the T+D had been less than 100, you would have run 3% faster at the same effort level.

So if you're looking to run at a pace of 12:00 min/mile, for example, and the T+D give an effect of 1%, you should make your target pace 1% slower. 12:00 min/mile is 720 sec/mile, and 1% of 720 is 7 seconds. So your goal pace would be 12:07 for that run.

That's not a big difference, but when the T+D gets big, then you might have an adjustment of some 30 seconds per mile, and THAT gets to be significant.

If you don't adjust, then you will end up training harder than intended.

I hope that makes sense!

June Running
Miles: 78.3
Time: 13:46:34

@SheHulk-right there with you (and I'm actually ramping up miles). Amazed at all the >100m/month runners.
and yes! i've never really thought about how the reservoir is named after jackie o (though i must have seen it on all the maps over the years)

Last edited:

At my track workout tonight, I decided to see how fast I could run a mile. The temp + dew was 137. I don’t really know what that means or how much it might have affected me. I just know I felt very hot.

I did the mile in 11:48 according to my Garmin and 11:35 according to Strava (which my Garmin data automatically uploads to). It was a PR for my Garmin, so the fastest I’ve done a mile since 2015 I guess. I know I ran a 10 minute mile once in 2014 but that was pre-Garmin days. I walked for a few seconds between each lap but mostly ran the whole time. Does anyone know why there is a 13 second difference between Garmin and Strava?

Before the mile, I did one lap around the track (12:36 pace), went up and down the stadium steps a few times, and did some dynamic warm up moves. Afterward, I ran/walked another 1.3 miles (16:41 pace). I was sooo hot and my water was hot and it was sad lol.

Based on this and according to Galloway, I should be doing a 60:30 run:walk ratio, right?

Edit:

When I look at the Garmin data it also says 11:35:
View attachment 680369

But when I finished the workout this is what my watch said:
View attachment 680370

Garmin and Strava are different because they're interpreting the distance data slightly differently. Go with the Garmin value since you used a Garmin device. I don't know definitively, but I believe I know why your Garmin PR shows 11:48 and your mile split says 11:35. The Garmin is assuming you were attempting a one mile time trial/race (see your total time for 1.01 miles was 11:48 minutes). It's assuming you knew where the actual finish line was. So it's deferring to your ending of the activity since it's so close to 1.00 miles as the true one mile PR. It's like when you run 13.18 miles and the Garmin PR gives you the PR time for 13.18 miles and not 13.11 miles. But if you run 13.45 miles, then Garmin is likely to give you the PR for 13.11 miles. It has to do with the closeness to those milestones I believe.

If you did 11:35 in a T+D 137, then it suggests you could in theory do an 11:15 if the T+D were less than 100. Although I believe the effect of the heat is somewhat relative to the distance. For the purpose of setting paces, I wouldn't adjust based on the theoretical T+D and just use the 11:35 min/mile pace as if it were done at T+D 100. Then when a training day of T+D 145 comes up, I would adjust based on 4%. This will make your training potentially slower than you could ultimately go. But training slower than your potential won't hold you back (to a point). Training too fast will.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 9.41.30 AM.png

The 11:35 mile suggests a 2:55:12 HM. So I get the following pace suggestions based on my calculator that mixes Galloway with Daniels principles. This assume a comfortable walking pace of a 17:00 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 9.41.42 AM.png

The calculator places you at a 12:16 5k, 12:47 10k, 13:22 HM, and 13:56 M (under fully trained and ideal conditions). A realistic marathon estimate is going to be 14:19-14:50 pace or 6:15-6:29 M. If you prefer slower running paces with longer duration of running, then go with option A. If you prefer faster run paces, but with shorter durations, then try option B. These are both starting points, but not end all be all. If your comfortable walking pace is different than a 17:00 min/mile let me know and I can give you an adjusted pace chart.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 9.41.49 AM.png

The above is your run/walk training paces with T+D adjustments. So if you were doing a Marathon Tempo day and your goal pace was a 13:56 min/mile, but the T+D was a 150, then I would suggest using a 14:34 min/mile as your capped pace. You can go slower than a 14:34 min/mile, but no matter how good you feel, don't go faster than a 14:34 min/mile.

Hope that helps!

ETA: One thing to add is that you're doing the 48.6 mile challenge at MW in 2023. So in my experience with myself and others, a reasonable expectation is something along the lines of +8-10% from ideal for the actual finish time of the marathon. So that would put your 48.6 mile marathon event finish around 6:34-6:41 not accounting for T+D (which MW has a near equal chance of all types of weather as outlined in one of my prior posts in the marathon weekend thread). Sometimes a little faster, and sometimes a little slower, but that's a reasonable target window for average.

Last edited:
June Totals
8 runs, 300 minutes
4 walks, 165 minutes
3 strength workouts, 160 minutes
1 swim (cut short by lightning), 20 minutes
Total run/walk/swim distance: 35 miles
Average pace: 13:17mm
Total workout time: 496 minutes (8.26 hours)

Been taking it pretty easy in terms of frequency, working around a lot of work travel, but I'll be ramping into for-real Dopey training in July!

Going to go ahead and add in my 3mi that I will do during naptime today (on the treadmill since it's already over 80) for my monthly total (plus it'll give me motivation to actually DO the run)
June totals:
51.6mi running
5.3mi walking

This was a huge bounce back from 0 miles in May, and less than 18 each in March and April. I'm officially into my first training block for Dopey (Higdon HM novice 2) with a local half marathon (time trial half or just long training run depending on how things are going) in mid-September. July's big challenge will be to still get my runs in while working 4 days a week (mostly standing in one spot.)

t has to do with the closeness to those milestones I believe.
That makes sense! I didn’t stop my watch right away because sometimes when I do that it registers at .99 instead of the mile even if my watch says I reached the mile. So I like to give it a few seconds of wiggle room. I’ll go with the data in the app for the 11:35.

Thank you so much for all of the helpful info! I’m going to use those paces for my triathlon training the next two months to see how it goes. The 17:00 walk pace sounds about right.

Do you think I should try to do a stand alone 5k or another mile time trial this summer before we start working on a plan to start around September? I haven’t raced a 5k in a long time without it being part of a triathlon.

Thank you! This was helpful. I think I was reading the Galloway chart wrong— I thought it was giving people intervals based on their mile time, but it is really what ideal pace you want to be going.

The paces you outlined seem about right for me right now. Granted it was very hot today so I am hoping I could be a little faster. My ultimate goal would be to have a 13:00-14:00 marathon pace… which would mean around a 9:00-10:00 minute mile right? Hmmm.

I’ve never really trained with paces before. Always just doing whatever felt good at the moment with the goal to finish. It is interesting to learn all of this!

One of the things that I'm learning in the customized training plan is that it is ALL about the paces and not about the intervals. The interval chart is a suggestion, but if you find that you respond better to a different ratio to hit a specific pace, you are encouraged to go for it.

The CTP has been fascinating so far and I have to say - again - that there is soooooo much more to the Galloway method than what the runDisney plan has. There are so many tricks, hints and the "if this happens, do this." There is truly a method to the madness and once you dive into it, it starts to make more and more sense.

And, as a side note, the Rise and Run podcast did an interview with Jeff Galloway and the first part got released today. My biggest "ah-ha" moment so far was Jeff's reason as to why they include the 26 mile training run for Dopey.

Do you think I should try to do a stand alone 5k or another mile time trial this summer before we start working on a plan to start around September?

My CTP plan had a second Magic Mile two weeks after the first. Chris encourages his runners to do another Magic Mile if you have reason to believe that your mile time will have improved and they can be thrown into any short tempo run (i.e. the Tuesday runs on the RD schedule).

Also, if it is especially hot out, there is the option of doing a half mile and then doing a conversion. I think the conversion is double the time and add 19 seconds, but don't quote me on that. I heard it in the podcast, but can't easily find a reference to it online.

July's big challenge will be to still get my runs in while working 4 days a week (mostly standing in one spot.)

I'm not sure if you have the option (I know that it might be considered a safety issue), but I wear my Oofos slides when standing for many hours on concrete floors at my one job and they are a genuine lifesaver.

One of the things that I'm learning in the customized training plan is that it is ALL about the paces and not about the intervals. The interval chart is a suggestion, but if you find that you respond better to a different ratio to hit a specific pace, you are encouraged to go for it.

The CTP has been fascinating so far and I have to say - again - that there is soooooo much more to the Galloway method than what the runDisney plan has. There are so many tricks, hints and the "if this happens, do this." There is truly a method to the madness and once you dive into it, it starts to make more and more sense.

And, as a side note, the Rise and Run podcast did an interview with Jeff Galloway and the first part got released today. My biggest "ah-ha" moment so far was Jeff's reason as to why they include the 26 mile training run for Dopey.

My CTP plan had a second Magic Mile two weeks after the first. Chris encourages his runners to do another Magic Mile if you have reason to believe that your mile time will have improved and they can be thrown into any short tempo run (i.e. the Tuesday runs on the RD schedule).

Also, if it is especially hot out, there is the option of doing a half mile and then doing a conversion. I think the conversion is double the time and add 19 seconds, but don't quote me on that. I heard it in the podcast, but can't easily find a reference to it online.
CTP and Rise and Run has also helped me appreciate the Galloway method a whole lot more. I was on the fence about doing it based on the plans on runDisney but now I'm glad I'm doing it for my first dopey.

June Running Totals
Miles: 114.58
Time: 19:28:28
Avg HR: 151
Avg Pace: 10:14

No treadmill runs in June! And all but two were started before 7am! I only live 5 minutes from our school, so in the summer, I take advantage of the track during the early morning hours. Boring ovals to run, yes, but it beats the treadmill!

There were some scorchers during the month, like T+D of 140 at 7 am, but I survived! This week, I ran three days in a row to take advantage of mornings in the 50-55 degree range! I usually don't do that, and my legs did feel it (I told myself it was like running the 5k, 10k, and half of MW). The cool temps were so nice! Also nice to be back in the 100+ mile club - guess I'm definitely in the building up phase before Dopey training starts.

CTP and Rise and Run has also helped me appreciate the Galloway method a whole lot more. I was on the fence about doing it based on the plans on runDisney but now I'm glad I'm doing it for my first dopey.
I listened to the rise and run podcast episodes and they were really interesting. It is definitely more involved than the generic plans on the rundisney site lead you to believe. Not the right balance of mileage and # of runs for me, but the podcast made me think that the CTP would probably be a very different experience than the generic plans for those who like the Galloway method.

Do you think I should try to do a stand alone 5k or another mile time trial this summer before we start working on a plan to start around September? I haven’t raced a 5k in a long time without it being part of a triathlon.

Yea, plenty of time to try another time trial/race before training starts in earnest in September. For the purpose of changing paces, I wouldn't do a time trial assessment much more than every 6-8 weeks. Once you're inside 8 weeks to the "A" race, then the paces should be held constant. The body takes a bit of time to properly be prepared for a change in pace. Cardiovascularly the adaptations are realized in about 6-8 weeks and muscular/skeletally in about 10-12 weeks. So there's a grey area gap of time where your body is prepared in a cardio manner to handle more, but physically your body isn't prepared yet. So it's important to be cautious about ramping up the paces too often even when it looks like your body could handle it.

This is a different 800m method I found in the runDisney 5k plan based on the huff/puff method, so not quite the same as you were looking for:

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 1.32.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 1.32.19 PM.png

I listened to the rise and run podcast episodes and they were really interesting. It is definitely more involved than the generic plans on the rundisney site lead you to believe. Not the right balance of mileage and # of runs for me, but the podcast made me think that the CTP would probably be a very different experience than the generic plans for those who like the Galloway method.
CTP definitely adds more than the generic ones but they are based on the same principles. My plan started at a much higher mileage and accounted for all the races on my calendar. Not just dopey. It also adds in cadence drills, acceleration gliders, race pace tempo runs and cross training suggestions such as water running. It feels perfect for where I am at right now in my running journey. I may go a different direction in the future but I'm liking it right now.

I listened to the Galloway interview earlier this morning and I'm rather confused by his recommendation to run 26 miles in your training. Hopefully @DopeyBadger can clear up the difference in the training philosophy between Galloway and Jack Daniels. Unless you're an elite runner, 26 miles will take you longer than 2 1/2 hours to complete which is the maximum as dictated by the Daniels school of thought. Moreover, I believe that Galloway stated that runners hit the wall at the longest number of miles that they run during their training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter