The Running Thread -- 2022

@jmasgat I am walking but I feel it in my knee, I did some of my knee exercises but the straight leg raises bother the hip flexor I torched. I had one blister. On the flip side the KT tape under the bra absolutely won for chafe relief. Now I need to out some under my fuel belt. Though I really need a new one, mine is old and stretched so it bounces.

let me know if you find that runner strength training program, am looking for one too 😊

I understand your PR it every day mentality that you once had, but I don't find a lot of people try for that at the recreational level of training. If you go that route one day, the next you'll feel battered, and hopefully would learn in that instance that maybe you took it a little too hard the day before.

This is an interesting observation. My experience with recreational runners has been that the vast majority of them think that you have to go out and run as hard as you can during every workout to improve. Introducing the concept of varying paces during training and a "run slower now to run faster later" philosophy is usually met with initial skepticism, followed by an eventual lightbulb moment as they realize that not only are they improving more quickly they aren't running themselves into the ground every workout.

let me know if you find that runner strength training program, am looking for one too

Seek and ye shall find! :magnify:

So I had been watching everyone talk about getting stronger and running injury free for the new year and I wanted to pop in to recommend a program that I love. It is called RunSmart Online (https://runsmartonline.com/) and it was developed by the physical therapist that I've been working with. His concept is to use running-specific exercises to build strength, fix imbalances, and prevent injuries (or fix the ones that already exist). I've subscribed to the program for about two years now and IMHO it is worth every penny (cost is $119 for a year or $15 per month, there is a free 2 week trial). I think Steve is great at explaining things and I've learned a lot about the science behind things. The program also includes customized training plans, monthly live q&a's, and a private Facebook group. The best thing about it is that it works! (And no, I don't get a referral bonus for endorsing the program :D)

If anyone wants more information, feel free to ask. I will admit that I was skeptical when Steve mentioned it to me after my first stint in physical therapy, but I tried it and liked it. I only got myself in trouble (earning myself my second stint in PT) when I stopped using it regularly.

@sandam1 that is something I was looking for. App based. And I think in researching stuff on injury prevention have come across that. Going to meet with my PT before I do anything but will PM you if I have questions.

@sandam1 that is something I was looking for. App based. And I think in researching stuff on injury prevention have come across that. Going to meet with my PT before I do anything but will PM you if I have questions.

Sounds like a perfect plan! You might also want to ask your PT about it. Steve does some free video on Facebook (under the "RunSmart" page) that you can also check out and/or refer your PT to.

I’m taking at least 4 weeks off from running. My knee held up at MW with lots of babying (icy hot patches, tiger balm, tylenol, IT band strap and lots of icing!). I rented a scooter for the week for the parks and DATW and it was worth every penny :moped: I’ll be focusing on strength training and flexibility during that time.

My goal for 2022 is to stay injury free and to run a second marathon and work on improving my time.

For those of you who run multiple marathons a year, how do you determine training paces if you’re trying to (safely) get faster? This was only my second marathon (and first Dopey), and I definitely held back. I had a negative split and finished with lots of energy and feeling like I had a few more miles in me. So while I could base my training on my actual marathon time, I definitely didn’t “race” it. I’m thinking maybe do a half in the interim for POT and then use that number to calculate training paces instead? Any personal experience or ideas are greatly appreciated!

I’m thinking maybe do a half in the interim for POT and then use that number to calculate training paces instead? Any personal experience or ideas are greatly appreciated!

In 4-6 weeks run a mile or 5k time trial (timing of this is to allow proper recovery from Dopey and to allow the body to get back into the swing of training). Include a proper warm-up of about 20-30 min of easy running with some short strides (short 10-20 sec pickups of pace with 60-90 sec between reps) prior to running the time trial.

-If the results are better than any other distance race equivalency run between Oct-present, then use the mile/5k as a basis for new training paces.
-If the results are better than your recent marathon time, then use the mile/5k as a basis for new training paces.
-If the mile/5k is worse in terms of race equivalency that either the marathon or anything else run since October, then use that other time as the basis for new training paces.

Then you can train around those paces until you run your upcoming HM for POT. If the HM down the road, is better than recent race equivalency performance, then move your training paces upwards.

In 4-6 weeks run a mile or 5k time trial (timing of this is to allow proper recovery from Dopey and to allow the body to get back into the swing of training). Include a proper warm-up of about 20-30 min of easy running with some short strides (short 10-20 sec pickups of pace with 60-90 sec between reps) prior to running the time trial.

-If the results are better than any other distance race equivalency run between Oct-present, then use the mile/5k as a basis for new training paces.
-If the results are better than your recent marathon time, then use the mile/5k as a basis for new training paces.
-If the mile/5k is worse in terms of race equivalency that either the marathon or anything else run since October, then use that other time as the basis for new training paces.

Then you can train around those paces until you run your upcoming HM for POT. If the HM down the road, is better than recent race equivalency performance, then move your training paces upwards.
That’s incredibly helpful. Next marathon isn’t until late July, so I have plenty of time. Thank you!

That’s incredibly helpful. Next marathon isn’t until late July, so I have plenty of time. Thank you!
Personally, I need that race day adrenaline to really push myself so I try to find shorter local races to determine my paces vs a time trial. YMMV on this and maybe a self timed run will work for you.

Don't be afraid to train slower than you think either. This last training cycle I did based on paces that I thought were slower than my current fitness level but I didn't have any recent race times to prove it. Regardless the training had me well prepared and I somehow managed a much faster time than I would have predicted. Granted, I wasn't trying to break any records. So even though I based my training on slower paces, I still improved my running fitness and I didn't overtrain myself or get injured.

I am curious about the program, too, although I am not sure what I'd like to ask about it. :) So maybe ask here?

Will do @avondale. I am also going to ask my PT about it. At this point i have to do something. The price for the app i s much cheaper than if i hire a personal trainer (which i am still considering).

The 1:20 runner wouldn't just be running 10 miles. Again, a pretty beginner type of thing for the 10 miles. The people reading this have been running, so they aren't a "from scratch" runner. This is for your basic recreational runner trying to maybe hit a faster time for a 10K or half marathon. So I don't mean a literal beginner from never having run. I was assuming those reading this just competed at Disney and are already in a fair amount of shape. But maybe they haven't done workouts of this nature... just went out and ran a couple of miles, etc. (obviously not everyone reading - some are beyond that for sure!). So, I think you have stuck in your head a person brand new to running... and I mean someone who is maybe new to running but is only at 30 mpw possibly and just goes out on a jog every so often or even every day just not far. Not knowing just a few things to help get a little faster.

And don't do a run/walk workout because it lets you "give in" to that mentality so easily. Like, "oh, I'm tired, I am just gonna start walking." I don't buy into that mentality. If you are that tired, slow down to a shuffle if you need to. Stop and take a swig of water and get back into the run. And you definitely don't want to walk in a steady state run.

I honestly don't know what the Hanson's plan is because I have never read any of their stuff. And maybe nobody on here has either. But this was a quick little bit of info all in one place that might help a few people. Tried to make it super simple and easy to understand. Kind of get out the door and do this. See where it takes you over the next month. Feeling good? Add a mile or two on some of those days. Feeling like you are getting in better shape? Run a little faster and keep the mileage the same. I am a proponent of going on how you feel. Because if you live by the watch you might run yourself in the ground to hit 7 minute pace one day on Tempos and the next week it might feel totally easy. Kind of why I like Fartleks... because you just need to focus on those 5 minutes of hard each time and you totally go on how you feel... doesn't matter the pace, just feeling the run and then you get to recover and do it all over again!

I went to Adams State when Joe Vigil was coaching there, so a lot of what I have come to know was generated by him. Also am friends with Bob Larsen, his approach is a little different than Coach Vigil, but he has some interesting approaches to different types of workouts. Same for Jack Daniels, bits and pieces of his as well. Some things work great with some people, but not with others. I like that by going on feeling a person has the option of pushing themselves a little harder if they feel good that day. I understand your PR it every day mentality that you once had, but I don't find a lot of people try for that at the recreational level of training. If you go that route one day, the next you'll feel battered, and hopefully would learn in that instance that maybe you took it a little too hard the day before.

Racing is so much fun and if you are prepared and you end up running a fast time, it makes it all worthwhile! Hard to take the Disney races too seriously though! You want to high 5 characters and take pictures in the parks!!!!
I just need to say it. I’m so glad the “coach” (shout out DB!!!) I work with doesn’t present things to me this way or I would just feel so bad about myself all the time.

I think I am preaching to the choir here but I have been thinking a lot about run/walk and why so many runners are critical; like it is cheating or giving in. Based on the recent conversation here I just needed to share that I also was critical of the run/walk method for a lot of years. Too much influence of my coaches over the years yelling “don’t stop”. I also have to own that my ego was involved, what would ppl think if they saw me walking.

So I never spoke against it, but felt run/walk was not for me. Then I got injured…. That injury led to surgery and I lost more than a year of running. My PT pushed me to really consider run/walk. His argument that finally helped me to see the light was simply that run/walk keeps the runner on fresher legs much deeper into a run. Fresher legs provides better opportunity for good form and not slipping into bad running habits. And that reduces chance of injury.

Losing years of fitness, enduring physical therapy, then surgery, then therapy again and having to start from scratch; if I can reduce the chance of that happening again I am all for run/walk! I respect those that choose not to use it and those that do. In the end running is an individual sport and is about self improvement. So how a runner goes about that process is up to them. We should support them and cheer them on.

I’m a fan of the run/walk in set intervals. I ran 3 marathons in my late 20s/early 30s just running. It’s been over 11 years and 2 kids later, now approaching my mid-40s. I ran the marathon 14-23 minutes faster than my previous marathons using run/walk intervals for the race (I ran a 4:06 using 3:30/:30). I enjoyed my training more, ran the race much faster, didn’t feel sick after the race, and wasn’t sore after the race. It’s been less than a week and I’m already running again and felt really great on an 8 mile run yesterday. I also feel like I could start another training cycle, whereas in the past I’ve been so burnt out after training. I’m sold on run/walk.

Today was the marathon I signed up for when I thought I wouldn’t be able to make it to Orlando last weekend. I’m so glad my husband helped make last weekend work because they canceled today’s marathon on Thursday night due to the weather. And while last weekend was warm in Orlando, it was much better than the storms they had this morning! I’m feeling grateful today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter