The Running Thread -- 2022

I may try these out during longer training runs. I don’t run far enough now for it to be an issue, but once I start Marathon training, I am a little bit concerned about ending up with stomach issues if i am only fueling with gels. The little applesauce pouches seem like a good option for some real food and a break from the gel.

The only issue you may have is that these pouches are big (for the amount of carbs they contain), and if you "train with the food you race with", then you may find that the volume/weight of carrying enough pouches to fuel a marathon may be unwieldy/prohibitive.

Yes. I used to use the clif blocks and you need quite a bit of water with them. I stopped using them after a couple of races with some serious stomach issues, largely caused I think by not taking in enough water with the blocks. I know a few people that have said that they let them melt in their mouth, but I was never able to do that. They’re pretty big to just sit in your mouth, so eventually I would end up chewing it anyway and then you’ve got all these little pieces of a thick jelly floating around your mouth.

I like Honey Stinger's energy chews. They're smaller (and less chewy) than the Clif Blocks.

Peanut butter pretzels sound amazing. Only danger would be me finishing them off as snacks before even setting off on a run.

Oh, do I sense a food discussion picking up? Yeah, still remember the cilantro, the banana and the pizza toping discussions but will happily rehash those too!

May I suggest a few QOTD… What is your favourite thing to eat on a run? What is the weirdest thing you ate on a run? What is the weirdest thing you drank on a run? What is the weirdest thing you smelled during a run?

The only thing I take on a run are gels and even then it has to be a pretty long run or hard effort. For a training run of under 10 I will rarely take anything and if it is in the morning I'll likely run it fasted. I ran a hilly half earlier this year totally fasted and only took water during the race because I wasn't aiming for a time.

I don't think I've ever eaten anything sold on a run, maybe a little piece of chocolate during the 2011 full but I really don't remember. Same goes for drinking, I will very rarely take anything besides water.

Weirdest smell you'd think would be a water treatment plant, either during the WDW full or a route I often take at home but it isn't. We have this farm I run past from time to time down in the our local national park and in the late fall after the harvest they scatter what I'm told are some sort of turnip all around the growing fields. I guess they decompose through the winter and replenish the soil, which makes sense, but the smell is terrible.

I love to carry my kids' apple sauce pouches. Easy to ingest and a mix of whole food/gel

This!!! I've often said that the applesauce is the nectar of the gods by about mile 10 of the half.

The only issue you may have is that these pouches are big (for the amount of carbs they contain), and if you "train with the food you race with", then you may find that the volume/weight of carrying enough pouches to fuel a marathon may be unwieldy/prohibitive.

I didn't get a chance to try it out, but my plan for MW was to use one of the two bottles on my running belt to hold the applesauce and then just twist off the top to consume. But for the half, I started with two in my shorts pockets and then picked up two more from my friend at the Magic Kingdom, which was more than enough.

Yeah, I would probably mix them in. Maybe replace a gel or 2 with applesauce. For my long runs I have taken to using a vest, so storage space is less of an issue.

I like Honey Stinger's energy chews. They're smaller (and less chewy) than the Clif Blocks.
Those are good. I have used them some. A little harder to eat on the run because you have to dig around in the pouch but good flavor and texture wise. I would pop the blocks like a mentos, which was very easy to do while running.

The only thing I take on a run are gels and even then it has to be a pretty long run or hard effort. For a training run of under 10 I will rarely take anything and if it is in the morning I'll likely run it fasted. I ran a hilly half earlier this year totally fasted and only took water during the race because I wasn't aiming for a time.

Wow, we are opposite ends of the fueling spectrum. I take water on almost all of my runs, even the short ones once the temps are into the 70’s. I always take it if the run if 6 miles or more. The only run I ever do fasted is really early morning 3 milers when I am squeezing it in before an early shift. Usually, even on my regular morning runs, I eat a verb bar at a minimum And a small but real breakfast before my weekend long runs. I start using gels once my runs get to about 8 miles And I fuel regularly. I get hypoglycemic so regular fueling is a must and I can’t even imagine doing a half fasted.

Re: Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels

PSA: Trader Joe's sells an Almond Butter version, just in case anyone has an issue with peanut butter.

PSA 2: If you have a race soon, buy two bags or you won't have any left from the first bag for the race once you try them.

PSA: Trader Joe's sells an Almond Butter version, just in case anyone has an issue with peanut butter.

PSA 2: If you have a race soon, buy two bags or you won't have any left from the first bag for the race once you try them.
and hide them with the extra applesauce pouches or they too will be reallocated for kid snacks.

I prefer the Costco brand Kirkland PB pretzels, which come in the industrial-sized tub

Any potential thoughts / guesses / suggestions on when you think that registration dates will be for the 2022-23 races (Wine and Dine, Marathon Weekend, Princess)?

Last year (2021), they were all pretty bunched together between July and August. My guess was because they announced 'In Person' runs returning at the end of the June 2021 and shortly had registration dates afterwards.

I would think with 'In-Person' runs back and running (even with Omicron), the registration dates will return somewhat to pre-covid normal.

Complete guess. April for Wine and Dine. May for Marathon Weekend. June for Princess Half Marathon.

I really hope that they do not pull anything like the Springtime Surprise registration dates being 4 months before the races and at 2:00pm est on a Thursday.

Any watch geeks sitting here like me trying to decide if I want a Fenix 7 or an Epix? I need to go see both in person and decide at some point or wait until the 955 is announced and then decide between the three. Decisions decisions.

I love my 945 but am ready for something new.

Any potential thoughts / guesses / suggestions on when you think that registration dates will be for the 2022-23 races (Wine and Dine, Marathon Weekend, Princess)?

Last year (2021), they were all pretty bunched together between July and August. My guess was because they announced 'In Person' runs returning at the end of the June 2021 and shortly had registration dates afterwards.

I would think with 'In-Person' runs back and running (even with Omicron), the registration dates will return somewhat to pre-covid normal.

Complete guess. April for Wine and Dine. May for Marathon Weekend. June for Princess Half Marathon.

I really hope that they do not pull anything like the Springtime Surprise registration dates being 4 months before the races and at 2:00pm est on a Thursday.

The sooner the better as far as planning for travel goes but selfishly I hope registration isn't until after they announce my son's school calendar for next year. They always have an in-service Friday in November where the kids are off school and if it lines up with W&D there is a slight chance we take advantage and go. I would like that option as opposed to trying to find a charity bib after the fact.

Any watch geeks sitting here like me trying to decide if I want a Fenix 7 or an Epix? I need to go see both in person and decide at some point or wait until the 955 is announced and then decide between the three. Decisions decisions.

I have been looking at GPS watches since getting back from MW. I am just needing the basics, distance, time, pace. I would only wear it when running and I wouldn't use all the other tracking capabilities some of these watches have. That is information overload for me. I see it being useful to competitive runners, but I just need to know how fast I am going. So I think I am about ready to take the plunge on a Garmin Forerunner 45. Seems like it has everything I need and price is only $150 right now.

Last edited:

I also love my 945 but I'm very embarrassed to admit how cool that flashlight on the 7X is. Although, I like the screen on the Epix better! I do have to say, I'm very surprised these do not have LTE since there's already an older watch with that feature. I don't run with my phone, so I kinda like that idea.

I will ultimately do nothing and maybe buy the 955 when that comes out, though.

I'm still using the 935, but am going to need something with more battery life to get through my March race. There's not an ideal solution for me out there right now, as I'd really like to keep my costs down. Each of the current leading options has some drawbacks:

945 - Almost 3 years old. Would prefer something a bit more up to date.

945 LTE - More expensive than the 945, if newer, but hate spending $$$ on the LTE tech I have absolutely no use for.

Fenix 6 series - much heavier than the 945 with its metal case

Right now I'm leaning towards the 945.

I do have to say, I'm very surprised these do not have LTE since there's already an older watch with that feature. I don't run with my phone, so I kinda like that idea.
I bought the 945 LTE for this exact reason… I don’t carry a phone with me when I run. My wife (or whomever I choose) can now track me when I’m out for a run. I hope to never need the emergency features, but I’m glad to know they are there. Also, I hope they continue to develop the LTE uses. For example, it would be nice if the watch would warn you when a thunderstorm is approaching during a run, such that you can look for shelter ahead of getting caught by surprise.

I do have to say, I'm very surprised these do not have LTE since there's already an older watch with that feature.

This is very surprising and based on this snippet from Ray:

On the LTE front, I asked Garmin why there was no LTE option given it’s been a while since they launched the theoretically inferior FR945. It was the singular item they provided a ‘no comment’ on, out of the arguably 50-70 questions/details I’ve asked over the past two months.

he is as well. The lack of answer points towards some reason besides "we didn't want to add it". In no particular order:
  • They want to keep LTE as a differentiator on the 945 for now until they are ready to introduce the 955/955LTE and announce an F7/EPIX LTE at the same time.
  • There actually is an LTE chip in the watch that they will turn on with a software update later. This will be discovered soon enough by someone doing a tear down if it is the case.
  • They had trouble sourcing enough chips and decided it was more important to get the watches out then wait for the supply chain to catch up.

Last edited:
hide them with the extra applesauce pouches or they too will be reallocated for kid snacks

applesauce pouches are snacks for everyone!!!
(I eat them weekly and have no small children lol)

Any watch geeks sitting here like me trying to decide if I want a Fenix 7 or an Epix?

I don’t know anything about the Epix, but I have a Fenix 6S and basically haven’t taken it off since I purchased it in 2020. I love it.

I have been looking at GPS watches since getting back from MW. I am just needing the basics, distance, time, pace. I would only wear it when running and I wouldn't use all the other tracking capabilities some of these watches have. That is information overload for me. I see it being useful to competitive runners, but I just need to know how fast I am going. So I think I am about ready to take the plunge on a Garmin Forerunner 45. Seems like it has everything I need and price is only $150 right now.
I have a 35 and it's perfect for me. I only wear it while running, and it tells me distance, pace, elevation gain and heart rate (the last two things being fun to know but not really necessary). I got nearly five years ago and it's still going strong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter