The Running Thread -- 2022

@Sara W since you do run/walk do you do that in all your training runs? Do you do those intervals in a 5k and 10k or do you run continuously for the shorter races?

@Sara W since you do run/walk do you do that in all your training runs? Do you do those intervals in a 5k and 10k or do you run continuously for the shorter races?
My mid-week training runs I did all running, no walking. I only used intervals for the long runs (I fully ran speed workouts, which included up to hour tempo runs). The 10 miler matched up with my 10 mile long run at the time, so I did run/walk intervals (I think my overall pace was 8:38, and the first 5 miles were the exact same pace as the last 5 miles despite the hills that slowed friends down). Same with the W&D half- it was the day of my 12 mile run. My pace was again around 8:38.

I haven’t done anything shorter than the 10 miler this training cycle. My assumption is that I would run an entire 5k and likely the 10k based on how many miles I’m doing on training runs. I’ve been thinking about the springtime surprise 10 miler and if I want to keep mileage up to run the whole thing or do intervals (my run interval pace would be faster, maybe even drop to a 15 second walk).

Fueling while moving:
I think I'm not going to reach any of my remaining time goals in the 10 miler or half distance unless I learn to
1) get through these distances on liquid fuel only (I can't take in a gel while running) AND
2) learn to drink on the run
I am very klutzy and am certain I will choke if I try to continue running while taking in a gel. Right now I can't even drink effectively while running.
Does anybody have any tips for teaching yourself to drink on the run? Does anybody want to argue that you don't need to, that the time you save is not worth worrying about, and it's better to just walk for a few seconds?

Does anybody want to argue that you don't need to, that the time you save is not worth worrying about, and it's better to just walk for a few seconds?

Honestly, you're probably better off just walking for a few seconds through the water stop. Sure you might think you're losing a few seconds, but maybe those few seconds also allow you to continue your current pace for longer in the race.

Fueling while moving:
I think I'm not going to reach any of my remaining time goals in the 10 miler or half distance unless I learn to
1) get through these distances on liquid fuel only (I can't take in a gel while running) AND
I am very klutzy and am certain I will choke if I try to continue running while taking in a gel. Right now I can't even drink effectively while running.
Does anybody have any tips for teaching yourself to drink on the run? Does anybody want to argue that you don't need to, that the time you save is not worth worrying about, and it's better to just walk for a few seconds?
Yes, I struggle with drinking while running, especially open cups on course. I found that I waste just as much time fumbling/trying not to spill while running as I do walking through a water/gel break.

Fueling while moving:

The best technique I've found for drinking on the run is to take the cup near the top and pinch the sides together so that you create a narrow "spout" at one end. That lets you essentially pour the contents into your mouth without the jarring from your running motion splashing liquid everywhere. It takes some practice, but seems to work well.

Pro tip, though, don't try that technique if RunDisney continues to use the wide brittle plastic cocktail cups on course. Still scratching my head trying to figure out who thought those were a good idea for the marathon last weekend.

Fueling while moving:
I bought the flip belt squeeze water bottle that is curved to rest against your waist in the flip belt pocket. That would make it easier to control the flow.
I also cannot use gels or my stomach immediately cramps to the point that I can’t stand straight. I’ve been using Clif Blocks without the pain, but I need something more substantial on long runs. I ended up bringing oatmeal and whole grain cookies from Shalane Flanagan’s cookbook with me. It was amazing to feel the mental and physical pick-me-up, but they totally crumble in the heat. I’m going to try something like Bobo’s Oat Bars in the future.

I bought the flip belt squeeze water bottle that is curved to rest against your waist in the flip belt pocket. That would make it easier to control the flow.
I also cannot use gels or my stomach immediately cramps to the point that I can’t stand straight. I’ve been using Clif Blocks without the pain, but I need something more substantial on long runs. I ended up bringing oatmeal and whole grain cookies from Shalane Flanagan’s cookbook with me. It was amazing to feel the mental and physical pick-me-up, but they totally crumble in the heat. I’m going to try something like Bobo’s Oat Bars in the future.
I'm telling you: Peanut butter filled pretzel bits. They don't crumble. They have salt. And peanut butter. Not sure if they come in whole grain or organic varieties if that is important.

Personally I know I don't need *food* food for anything less than a marathon. And if anything I'm trying to move down from gels into more pure liquid for a half or 10 miler. But for a marathon PB pretzels are great for me.

I'm telling you: Peanut butter filled pretzel bits. They don't crumble. They have salt. And peanut butter. Not sure if they come in whole grain or organic varieties if that is important.
Hmmm, what if you don’t like pretzels or peanut butter? 😂 Last night my husband complained that all he got in the Chex mix was pretzels, and I always buy peanut butter candy or cookies for him bc I won’t touch them with a 10 ft pole. I just don’t get how people can eat peanut butter cups 🤢

I know people are going to be shocked that I just said that! Hahahaha! I hear it all the time.

Hmmm, what if you don’t like pretzels or peanut butter? 😂 Last night my husband complained that all he got in the Chex mix was pretzels, and I always buy peanut butter candy or cookies for him bc I won’t touch them with a 10 ft pole. I just don’t get how people can eat peanut butter cups 🤢

I know people are going to be shocked that I just said that! Hahahaha! I hear it all the time.
Oh, do I sense a food discussion picking up? Yeah, still remember the cilantro, the banana and the pizza toping discussions but will happily rehash those too!

May I suggest a few QOTD… What is your favourite thing to eat on a run? What is the weirdest thing you ate on a run? What is the weirdest thing you drank on a run? What is the weirdest thing you smelled during a run?

Fueling while moving:
1. I do training runs of 5 and 6 miles in 80 and 90 degree weather without liquids. Maybe not optimal, but I do. I will have the jelly beans or Mentos in my mouth to keep my mouth from drying out.
2. Do you mean squirt gel or gel blocks? The blocks I can put to one side of my mouth and let them melt.
3. Or try some of the energy jelly beans. I chomp down on them with my teeth and don't have to worry about choking on them.
4. I agree with Dopeybadger about not worrying about a few seconds lost to drinking. Better that than wearing the drink or choking on it. And ditto about pinching the cup into a pour spout. Also, as noted in the Half-Assed Running Method (TM), if you do run/walk method combine your short walk interval with the water stop, especially since the water stops seem to be at convenient intervals.
5. I'll stop for water on the July 4th 10K races due to the heat. For the 10k I did at the end of October, I don't recall stopping. I didn't worry about water for the 10K last weekend, but I think I grabbed some water halfway through the half and I did consume a gel block or some jelly beans. Probably not what Dopeybadger would advise, but OTOH I'm not running 7 or 8 minute miles. (FWIW, the marathon was a different story. I grabbed water and/or Powerade at nearly every stop in an effort to stay hydrated).
Good luck. YMMV.

2. Do you mean squirt gel or gel blocks? The blocks I can put to one side of my mouth and let them melt.
3. Or try some of the energy jelly beans. I chomp down on them with my teeth and don't have to worry about choking on them.
Good luck. YMMV.
Interesting, I always assumed that consuming blocks or jelly beans without stopping running would definitely involve someone administering the Heimlich maneuver shortly after. In my case. I never thought about just letting it melt and not chewing it. You need water with those though right?

Interesting, I always assumed that consuming blocks or jelly beans without stopping running would definitely involve someone administering the Heimlich maneuver shortly after. In my case. I never thought about just letting it melt and not chewing it. You need water with those though right?
Yes. I used to use the clif blocks and you need quite a bit of water with them. I stopped using them after a couple of races with some serious stomach issues, largely caused I think by not taking in enough water with the blocks. I know a few people that have said that they let them melt in their mouth, but I was never able to do that. They’re pretty big to just sit in your mouth, so eventually I would end up chewing it anyway and then you’ve got all these little pieces of a thick jelly floating around your mouth. The jellybeans are not bad, and depending on how are you like to fuel they can be a good option. I know someone who portions them out a couple at a time throughout the race. If you are trying to get a lot of fuel in it one time, it’s a lot of chewing.
I get what you’re saying about choking on the squirt gels. If you were actually taking in most of that in one mouth full it would be really hard to get it down and still be able to breathe! I probably take them over 4 small mouth fulls over maybe a half a mile or so. With a sip of water after every mouth full.
Re: water stops. I do a combo of carrying water and using water stops. I have a 10 oz handheld that I use for almost every race that is reserved for the liquids I taken with my fuel. That way I don’t have to worry about timing my fuel stops with water stops. And then when I encounter a water stop in between fuel points I’ll grab a cup of water and use the pinch method as described above. For a 10K, obviously I don’t need any fuel and 10 ounces of water is more than enough to get me through that race. Since you’re running faster, it’s harder to drink the water and having a squirt pouch just makes it easier.

I love to carry my kids' apple sauce pouches. Easy to ingest and a mix of whole food/gel
I may try these out during longer training runs. I don’t run far enough now for it to be an issue, but once I start Marathon training, I am a little bit concerned about ending up with stomach issues if i am only fueling with gels. The little applesauce pouches seem like a good option for some real food and a break from the gel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter