The Running Thread - 2021

DH July 2021
87.9 miles. Topped June by 0.3 miles, and happy about that.

Race: 1
Shoe House 5 Miler
This was the 5th or 6th time I've run this race. All but one were on the current and most recent course configuration. Nice to have a start of 7am during the summer. I was very happy with my time. Though the slowest I've run this race, it was the best I've felt. Straight negative split- each mile was faster than the one before. Even the one with the water stop at the race's half-way point. Last mile was 1 minute faster than the one prior to it. And to the guy who was being encouraged to "go get him (me)" by the course worker with about 0.4 miles to go: sorry. Not happening. Had enough in the tank to maintain that pace through the finish.

July Running
Miles: 136.05
Time: 23:04:54
Average HR: 146
Average Pace: 10:21

Made it through July with only one missed run from my DopeyBadger plan due to vacation (shhh, don't tell him!). I thought that was pretty good since I was on vacation/away from home for 13 days of the month.

Still chugging along for Wineglass at the beginning of October. I had to retire one pair of shoes and start on another - they were at 400 and my legs felt more sore than usual.

136 is my second-highest monthly total ever - only surpassed by 148.6 in October 2017 it seems!

Still chugging along for Wineglass at the beginning of October. I had to retire one pair of shoes and start on another - they were at 400 and my legs felt more sore than usual.

All the best for Wineglass. I grew up in upstate NY, and drive past the start in Bath several times each summer. I'd like to do a marathon sometime to see how fast I could go without having a half the day before (Goofy 2020), and Wineglass is the leading candidate for that effort. Not sure what year I'll commit to it, though.

July Running:
Running duration = 21:20 hours
Running mileage = 138.33 miles
Average Pace = 9:15

Had another setback earlier this month when I dropped a leafblower on my toe. PSA: even if you aren't doing real yardwork, but just grabbing something quickly to blow a few things off your driveway... please don't wear sandals. It was quite painful and I had to have the nail removed instead of just waiting for it to come off on it's own. So I had to take a little time off and then try to re-acclimate to summer running once again. Things have gone pretty good the last few days, so hoping I'm finally moving in the right direction.

Had a very hard run planned for today - 10 miler with 8x400m hill repeats in the middle. Woke up and it was 52 degrees outside. :banana:

This run felt like an easy run with the cooler temps. Hit all of my goal paces on the run - even pushed past them when I saw how well I was handling the repeats.

I hate running in the heat, but those horrible runs make these cooler runs so much easier. :scratchin

Had a very hard run planned for today - 10 miler with 8x400m hill repeats in the middle. Woke up and it was 52 degrees outside. :banana:

This run felt like an easy run with the cooler temps. Hit all of my goal paces on the run - even pushed past them when I saw how well I was handling the repeats.

I hate running in the heat, but those horrible runs make these cooler runs so much easier. :scratchin

Knowing that the work and effort will pay off in cooler temperatures is a major part of what keeps me motivated to get things done in the heat and humidity of summer.

Jealous -- it was "only" 80 degrees out here last night, and my energy/timing were AWFUL. Can't wait for fall/winter!

July Walking Miles - 32

Still getting out when I can, although 2 mile stretches is the most I can do at one time. We moved this month and I 10 out 10 do not recommend moving at 33 weeks pregnant. I don't expect many miles for August as I am tired and only going to become more pregnant. But I am excited for the Fall as temps cool down and hopefully I will get lots of use out of my BOB stroller.

So I’ve had the final nail go in the coffin for my first marathon goal. I registered for Wineglass in October to prepare for my first Dopey. A family situation came up a couple days before Dopey registration that meant 2022 wouldn’t work. But that was ok. I can use Wineglass to tell me what I need to do for Dopey 2023. I have been nervous on a lack of training during July due to a back injury. Got on track though last week of July. However this past Saturday something happened. Feels like a pulled groin. Could be something else. My hip is locking up some too. All said, I respect the marathon distance to think I’d be ready mentally and physically to be ready by October. So I transferred the registration to do the half marathon. I know it’s the right thing. I’m fighting the emotions of this though. But I’m going to adjust, do the half during Wineglass weekend, and DW and I are doing W&D in one piece and have fun - no matter how things are going to be there! I’m also going to reevaluate my goals too. Maybe not a Dopey (but I want to say I did one!), maybe work on the half marathon goal instead (a sub 2hr for a POT). I don’t know. I know it’s all a journey. Sorry for the ramble!

July Running
Miles: 136.05
Time: 23:04:54
Average HR: 146
Average Pace: 10:21

Made it through July with only one missed run from my DopeyBadger plan due to vacation (shhh, don't tell him!). I thought that was pretty good since I was on vacation/away from home for 13 days of the month.

136 is my second-highest monthly total ever - only surpassed by 148.6 in October 2017 it seems!

Wishing you luck for Wineglass! Maybe I’ll see you cross the finish line! The friend I’m going up with is doing the full.

for the people who live where you "swim" in the humidity during your summer runs......the guy i talked to 2 weeks ago at the local track swears by putting vaseline in his eyebrows to make a run-off barrier for sweat. I cannot attest to its effectiveness.
I run/swim in South Florida and sweat A LOT...thanks for this tip. I will definitely give it a try.

July Walking Miles - 32

Still getting out when I can, although 2 mile stretches is the most I can do at one time. We moved this month and I 10 out 10 do not recommend moving at 33 weeks pregnant. I don't expect many miles for August as I am tired and only going to become more pregnant. But I am excited for the Fall as temps cool down and hopefully I will get lots of use out of my BOB stroller.

I can 10/10 recommend not moving the week you have babies (babies thought it was a good idea, not the parents!). Please take care of yourself/selves. Drink lots of water, soak your feet, and know that distance paced in the living room at odd hours or up and down a driveway absolutely counts as at least 5x harder than hill reps.

July Totals
  • Running
    • 107.9 miles
    • average pace 12:36 min/mi
    • total time 22.65 h
    • comments: The most mileage since January.
    • comments: This was a lot since I sprained my left ankle not once but twice and had to cut out or cut down on some runs.
  • Tennis
    • 6 h
    • comments: Way down from last month, because I was out of town a lot and therefore didn't really have the ability to play.
  • Walking
    • 67.7 miles
    • comments: The most mileage since February, when I put on almost twice as many miles.

Earlier this month we discussed the Blopians from Blopia which is now known as Pluto. The Blopians are now extinct and in a massive planetary disaster Blopia was shattered and the remaining large chunk is Pluto which is why it's known as a dwarf planet now. The rainbow colored hair Unicorns are in there too now, but their back story escapes me. It's possible some Blopians still exist thanks to the Unicorns. We've also discussed colors dogs can see, limestone, erosion and many others. It truly is what dreams are made of since the whole reason I started running 9 years ago were for moments like these.
This would make for an outstanding podcast to listen to while running. Always educational and always entertaining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter