The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD: What, if any plan did you use to start running? Would you recommend it to someone looking to start running? What would you have changed?

QOTD: When you started running, did you do so because you signed up for a race and needed to train, or you started running and then later started adding races?
TL,DR: no plan, it works for some people, plans work for others. Started by signing up for a race, AND continued adding races.

I started running because my friend was a cast member and told me I could use her discount for Princess weekend if I did either the 10K or half with her. I had months to train as sign up was in May. I already walked on a track on my lunch hour, and figured I would need to work up to running as every other minute of my life was scheduled. I did not follow a plan, I just laced up my older walking shoes and went out, running as far as I comfortably could and walking when I wanted a break. I signed up for a local 5K that September to see if I could finish and I did, but I did not really enjoy it. {I still dislike 5Ks). DH coaxed me into signing up for a 10K (DL Avengers), which I loved. In both cases I was dissatisfied with how I ran and more so how I felt afterward, but I really had no idea what to do to change it. Training plans seemed like they were for more serious runners (my first goal was 40% off Beach Club Villas and an excuse to go on vacation, my secondary goals were shed a few pounds and be able to keep up with my then toddlers), so I did not really venture toward them. I had a blast a Princess, and while my time was not record setting I finished, had fun, and was not wiped out for the day. I enjoy races but that is not why I still run.

As far as my favorite fluids just in general, i drink a lot of water. i am lucky i love it. I do usually have two normal sized cups of coffee in the morning (after my run). Water all day. Then i do drink wine at night, though not leading up to race day. I don't drink a lot of anything else. No pop, no powerade or powerade zero. I guess i need to take a look at that and see if i can add that pre race day.
Your word choice makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

QOTD: When you started running, did you do so because you signed up for a race and needed to train, or you started running and then later started adding races?
ATTQOTD: I am old and started early - back in the early 80s, when "Jogging" was a cool thing. I was in elementary school and easily swayed by terrycloth running shorts and fun printed laces (rainbow hearts FTW!) for my Nikes (blue w/ white swoosh), lol! No racing and I detested forced running in gym class, but running has factored into my exercise regime ever since. I didn't start doing races until 2012.

ATTQOTD: I started running as weight control in high school, a little after @PrincessV I'll bet. It was a love/hate relationship. I felt awful while I was doing it but also felt a compulsion to do it every day. I ran exactly one 5k race in my 20's, even though I ran every day for fitness. I was so obsessed I'd often come home more than tipsy from a night out, feel like I had too much energy and run a few miles in that state. This is after already having run in the morning. Only in my mid-30's did I start signing up for races and only then did I follow anything like a "plan". I think I started with a book by Coach Jenny and John Bingham.

ATTQOTD: I am old and started early - back in the early 80s, when "Jogging" was a cool thing. I was in elementary school and easily swayed by terrycloth running shorts and fun printed laces (rainbow hearts FTW!) for my Nikes (blue w/ white swoosh), lol! No racing and I detested forced running in gym class, but running has factored into my exercise regime ever since. I didn't start doing races until 2012.
Don't want to make you jealous but I had one of those big yellow "sport" walkman cassette players and then later the yellow "sport" discman to play CDs. I jammed it in my sports bra so I could be hands-free :crazy:

ATTQOTD: Growing up I played soccer all the way through high school, so while I ran, it was always a part of training for that and was usually shorter distances and more sprinting. After high school I stopped playing sports and didn’t really do much of anything.

Flash forward to ‘11 and a friend lost her mother to ovarian cancer. In ‘12 she and her family decided to put a group to together in her memory for the Sandy Rollman Ovarian Cancer Foundation’s Sandy Sprint 5K. I signed up to be a part of that. For the next 2-2 1/2 years I kept up with running but it was mainly to help keep off the lbs and I didn’t really get much enjoyment out of it. I eventually stopped running for the most part, only doing the Sandy Sprint with the group each year.

That lasted about 3 years, then in April ‘17, I started running again. This time it also started as training for a race. At that point I was 6 months sober and was looking ahead at a way to celebrate a year. I happened to see that there was a half-marathon close to me that was happening a week before my one year mark. So I decided that finishing that would be how I’d celebrate a year. This time around, while the running is still helpful for health reason, I’m doing it because I do enjoy it.

Don't want to make you jealous but I had one of those big yellow "sport" walkman cassette players and then later the yellow "sport" discman to play CDs. I jammed it in my sports bra so I could be hands-free :crazy:
I totally rocked that gigantic yellow Walkman, too, lol! Mine had some kind of snap-on velcro band so I could wear it on my arm; I'm sure that extra weight on one side did wonders for my gait.

ATTQOTD: started exercising to lose weight before my wedding. Enjoyed running so continued on running generally 2.5-3 miles. My sister in law asked if I would take her place in a half she had registered for, but running 13 miles seemed crazy to me and I turned her down. Later I heard about a half marathon that combined my 2 loves: Disneyland and Star Wars. Unfortunately it was already sold out but it piqued my interest and I made a rash decision to register for the Tinkerbell half. Meanwhile, at Golden Gate park, I saw some people walking to their cars with bibs on and realized that they had run across the Golden Gate bridge. That seemed like a neat idea and so I registered from a half that also included running across the bridge.

ATTQOTD:
I started running because I wanted to run the Peachtree RR with my brother who had recently started running and lost a lot of weight. Started running in March that year and stopped July 5th. After a couple years of that same pattern, I convinced him to start adding other races that kept me motivated to keep training. After doing a few HMs together, I convinced him to run the marathon with me at Disney, then to do Goofy with me. Alas, he's since stopped doing anything longer than a 10-K, but running has become such a big part of my life, I've continued on my own. While weight loss was not part of the original rationale for me, I also found that the miles helped make up for what I lack in self-control on the eating front (not as much as it used to unfortunately - stupid metabolism changes).

ATTQOTD:
I signed up for the Austin Half Marathon with my wife and a friend. We walked the entire 13.1 miles and while I enjoyed it, I became much more interested in running a half.

I had never been a runner when younger, instead focusing on surfing, skateboarding and hiking. Running was not my thing.

Did run a bunch of 5k, 10k and half marathons. Tried Goofy in 2015 but my race ended at mile 21 on Sunday with a femoral neck stress fracture. Made some life changes (diet, quit smoking after 25 years) and finished the Quad Cities Marathon in September with a bunch of friends. Avengers in November and completed my first Dopey in 2016. I am now more focused on running longer races (100k and 100mi). Still love RunDisney races for how much fun they are.

ATTQOTD: I ran distance track in HS (1600m/3200m) but then only ran sporadically in college and for several years after. Then, after we had our second daughter and decided our family was complete, I really wanted to do something for myself. I had been loving spin class at my gym, and some friends from the class talked me into doing a triathlon with them. So, I started running again and then fell in love with triathlon, so I kept going!

On the plus side of things today is starting to feel like fall weather again which is nice compared to going out running and being drenched in sweat after just a little ways.

Downside is I'm going to have to deal with leaves soon...

Yeah, I can no longer blame the heat and humidity for how slow I am XD I started my 17-week training program yesterday and a pleasant 66 degrees with low humidity couldn't save me from a painful out-of-shape 2 miles. Oh well, I'll get better as the weeks go by :)

ATTQOTD: I started running for 2 reasons - one, to lose weight and two, to have some “me time”. No one wanted to go with me ;)

I haven’t lost near the weight I would like but I have lost some. I’m definitely in better shape. I still run for my “Me time”. Occasionally my oldest will join me but only if he gets something out of it (such as a shirt or a medal).
I was a few years into running before I actually signed up for a race. I just had no interest - mainly because the idea of a race intimidated me. Now I know that “fast” is relative. So when I run races, I set my goal and I don’t worry about what others may do.

So it's been just about forever and a day since I dropped in here. The big news is that I'm running my first half marathon on Sunday--last month they sent out a preliminary email about their COVID-19 procedures and the outlook on the event is pretty positive. At least on paper I'm impressed with how they're handling it; suppose I'll see how it actually goes this weekend. The other good news (it's news because I'd forgotten) is that the course is almost all downhill (the full marathoners have some hills in the first half, but I'll be joining the course shortly after the start of the 13+ mile gentle downhill).

Feeling nervous about it, though, partly because my Magic Miles have been getting worse instead of better. None of the MM's I've run in the last month and a half have been under ideal conditions (too hot, tired from heavy work the day before, etc.) but it's still not a good feeling. Also, I did my first 13 mile run the weekend before last and it was really rough (though part of that was that I got up late and did a big portion of it in the heat). For the last two miles literally all I could think about was how much I didn't want to be doing it anymore (but I did finish).

My last MM clocked in at 13:03. According to the calculator on the Galloway website (which I've noticed is a little more optimistic than the calculations listed in the WDW Marathon training PDF), that puts me at a 15:40 pace for the half, which feels a little ambitious for me but...maybe doable? Hopefully? And I'm still uneasy about my chances of finishing the marathon in January (since my MM currently projects I won't make the 16:00 pace for the full), but right now my attitude about that is that the money's spent so I might as well finish my training and make the attempt if the event doesn't get cancelled, even if I'm likely to fail.

I first started running because I'd wanted to do the WDW Marathon for years and finally decided to do it. I was not a runner at all before. I'm still not a big fan of just running at home and definitely need to have races to train for, but I love running the actual events, so it makes the everyday running worth it.

So it's been just about forever and a day since I dropped in here. The big news is that I'm running my first half marathon on Sunday--last month they sent out a preliminary email about their COVID-19 procedures and the outlook on the event is pretty positive. At least on paper I'm impressed with how they're handling it; suppose I'll see how it actually goes this weekend. The other good news (it's news because I'd forgotten) is that the course is almost all downhill (the full marathoners have some hills in the first half, but I'll be joining the course shortly after the start of the 13+ mile gentle downhill).

Feeling nervous about it, though, partly because my Magic Miles have been getting worse instead of better. None of the MM's I've run in the last month and a half have been under ideal conditions (too hot, tired from heavy work the day before, etc.) but it's still not a good feeling. Also, I did my first 13 mile run the weekend before last and it was really rough (though part of that was that I got up late and did a big portion of it in the heat). For the last two miles literally all I could think about was how much I didn't want to be doing it anymore (but I did finish).

My last MM clocked in at 13:03. According to the calculator on the Galloway website (which I've noticed is a little more optimistic than the calculations listed in the WDW Marathon training PDF), that puts me at a 15:40 pace for the half, which feels a little ambitious for me but...maybe doable? Hopefully? And I'm still uneasy about my chances of finishing the marathon in January (since my MM currently projects I won't make the 16:00 pace for the full), but right now my attitude about that is that the money's spent so I might as well finish my training and make the attempt if the event doesn't get cancelled, even if I'm likely to fail.

I'm a slow runner so I completely understand your feelings. The most important thing is to just have fun and enjoy the experience. I've had slow training runs, but when you're at the actual event, there's a good chance adrenaline will kick in and help with the pace. Good luck Sunday!

Good luck with your race! I would try some visualizations between now and Sunday to get your mind in a more positive and optimistic state. Mindset makes a huge difference. Rest up and fuel well. Then, enjoy the race and take it one mile at a time.

You're going to do great! The most important part is finishing :) Also I echo the advice to make sure you're well-fueled - my sister ran her first half this year and she really struggled with training for the first like 10 weeks until I asked her what she was eating beforehand and taking along for fuel and her response was "nothing." I had to remind her to eat more carbs before a longer run (like 7+ miles) and take along gatorade or goo packs to refill her tank.

Hadn't heard of it, but if it actually runs in person I might sign-up! I have a few virtual races (including a marathon) to knock-out that would be more fun in person.

Sounds like we might have a disboards meet up.
Don't take the last spot (I like how it says how many registrations are still available) if I haven't signed up yet!

Update on this...I had been monitoring the registrations for this event and it was above 200 remaining the other day, and still at 137 early yesterday. I looked last night and it was down to 10 spots left, so I quickly signed up. I'm looking forward to the event, although I'm a little under the weather this week (not COVID) and have missed a couple of training runs. I hope I can get back out for a few miles tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!