The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD: I love my Noxgear Tracer360 for visibility. Most of my running routes are adequately lit by streetlights, so I don’t usually need anything to see where I’m going. I carry a Black Diamond Storm headlight with me for spot use in any dark area, though. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying out one of the Ultraspire waist lights to see what they’re like, too.

ATTQOTD:
I have a Noxgear Tracer 360 also for visibility. They often run discounts for 42% (??) off. It definitely lets people see you. It is not rechargeable and takes 3 AAA batteries. I feel like mine starts to flash that the batteries are dying earlier than it should, and I can still go weeks (10-30 hours running in dark) with it flashing red (that’s the indication that the batteries are’s getting low). It does eventually start to dim, and that’s when I replace the batteries. I think the battery contacts on mine are a little corroded so I have had to clean them off.
For lighting a use NightRunner 270 shoe lights. I mostly run on pretty well lit streets, but occasionally in darker areas. These take a little to get used to, because they can show every little ‘wave’ in the sidewalk, which makes it look like you have to be extra careful with your footing, but in reality it is pretty flat and not an issue. For some, they can be a little dis-orienting, because they are on your feet, and so the light is not steady in one spot. I have my really had an issue with this, but they can sometimes pop off your shoes. These are rechargeable, and I usually only need to recharge them once a week.

If you have money to spare, I’ve heard the Kogalla lights are pretty amazing.

ETA: When I first started running, I used to just use a little handheld flashlight, and it worked well - Just like holding a water bottle.

Sorry that stinks. If it makes you feel better, the races that seem to open up around here are counting people the same way: The cap of 250 people includes all volunteers and spectators as well as everybody participating on the course.
I haven't seen any race organization near me say so in direct language, but my impression from what they have said about needing to cancel races is that the same holds true here.

Question of the Day: With the sun rising later and setting earlier, how do you stay visible? What do you like about the items you use, and what do you dislike? For those that run in areas with few, or no, streetlights, how do you see the road?
ATTQOTD: I do not worry about being visible - my experience with being highly visible is that the elderly folks in my neighborhood drive RIGHT AT something brightly lit; I'm much better off being "invisible" to them on the short stretch of road I run with no sidewalks. I run against traffic so I see them coming long before they might see me, and step off into the grass if a car passes.

The majority of my dark running happens on sidewalks - I have a little red blinky magnetic light I attach to the back of my hat or visor, just so anyone on a bicycle behind me can see that I'm there, and I use a headlamp so I can see what's coming. After almost 20 years of running/walking the same routes, every bump and pothole is committed to muscle memory: when my headlamp died mid-run a couple weeks ago, I had no problem at all running with no light at all, lol! But I do like to know ahead of time if there's a giant spiderweb across the sidewalk, or a gator in the middle of the road, so I bought a new headlamp ASAP. ;)

Question of the Day: With the sun rising later and setting earlier, how do you stay visible? What do you like about the items you use, and what do you dislike? For those that run in areas with few, or no, streetlights, how do you see the road?

I run on pretty well lit roads most of the time but to be safe I still clip on a light. I have a few different options but have come to like these the best. They can change color to red, blue, or green and have a few different blinking patters along with a solid option.

If I'm going to be somewhere without lighting I have a headlamp. I have a slightly older version of the Petzl Tikka XP and really like it. I also have a Black Diamond Storm but it is much heavier and doesn't stay in place nearly as well on runs so I generally use it for walks instead.

Lastly, if it is really dark I do have a Nathan Vest but it is overkill for most of the places I run. I also just got an email today from Brooks for their Run Visible Collection. Some of their items look interesteing especially for fall running that is still warm enough for shorts (anything above about 38) but is still dark early.

This is the best way to be seen. They have 30-40% discounts on a regular basis.

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

ATTQOTD: This thread really has a good influence... I bought a Noxgear Tracer360 a year ago and it sure makes me visible. I have enough street lights in my area and kind of like the quiet that comes with low lights, I just slow down. I might try our camping Duracell cheap headlamp one of these days.

My first attempt at being seen was clipping my flashing bicycle light to myself, but it was not terribly secure. Also on the advice of a previous year's thread, I got a NOx gear vest to be seen. It is fine. I find the floppiness of the light loops irritate me, probably because I keep it bunched up in an over the door shoe rack for storage, so then they stick out.

I have a pretty well lit (and in winter shoveled) 3 mile loop with few driveways and only a couple of street crossings, but current construction projects seem to have taken out a block of street lights so I am considering some sort of light to see.

ATTQOTD: Put me in the camp of running "hidden" when running in town. Drivers hitting pedestrians and bikers seems to be a sport here, with ~600 incidents in the city last year.

I do run with appropriate lighting when doing races and I may get one of the Noxgear vests for future use. Also if running outside of town. I have an expensive Lupine headlamp, mostly because I needed something bright that would last 12 hours when doing overnight trail runs.

I am not one to run when dark out. Never have and don't intend to anytime soon.

Side note: I just had what seems to be runner's Christmas because I got new shoes, a new garmin, new socks, new Goodrs, and a new hat. I also got a hydration vest a couple weeks ago too. Who said this sport was cheap?

I've been MIA from this forum for a while!

ATTQOTD: I use a headlamp if it's going to be dark pretty much the whole time. I have the Foxelli, it's rechargeable via USB. I have a regular arm band light that I just occasionally but don't love it.. I also have a pair of the Brooks reflective shorts and they're fine. They work well but aren't my favorite in terms of comfort.

ATTQOTD: It’s been a while since I’ve ran when it’s dark out. Now that I’ve been working from home it’s very easy for me to get my weekday runs in during lunch. But back when I did do nighttime running, for being seen I have a Noxgear Tracer 360 That I like a lot. For being able to see, I have a headlight, which is fine, but I am thinking about getting a waist light to try.

ATTQOTD: Midweek, I normally run at lunch and when I cannot get out during the day, I go right after work before I commute home. Of course, my indefinite working from home has made this even easier. When the days start to get shorter, I usually make more of an effort to get out during the day And if I still cannot, I make sure I get out before the sun sets which for me, is really only a challenge in December. As long as I am out before sunset, I have enough time to get my weekday run in before it gets too dark especially since I am in a location with plenty of sidewalks and street lights.

No special equipment for evening runs, but I do typically try to wear bright clothes with some reflective gear. Weekend runs are always during the day so no issues on the weekends.

QOTD: When you started running, did you do so because you signed up for a race and needed to train, or you started running and then later started adding races?

ATTQOTD: I first started running to lose weight, and as I improved I added races as rewards for my efforts.
Well, running as I do it now started out of off season training for winter sports, then I started adding in sporadic races for fun. Now it’s become the bulk of my winter activity.

Side note: I just had what seems to be runner's Christmas because I got new shoes, a new garmin, new socks, new Goodrs, and a new hat. I also got a hydration vest a couple weeks ago too. Who said this sport was cheap?

Which Garmin did you buy? One of the new 745?

Answer: this is the first year I have had to worry about being visible. While I have a reflective vest (think road construction mesh style), it isn’t enough for two of my routes that have me in the shoulder for most of the time. Also the lack of streetlights has caused a few almost twisted ankles due to the $&*# sweet gum seed balls and uneven sidewalks.

I run in daylight. Last fall I woke up really early one day to intentionally run in sub zero weather. Loved it so much I ordered a noxgear vest. Then my partner got an am serving job so I stay home with our daughter and the vest became redundant before using it. Oh well, our kid loves turning it on and off.

QOTD: How do you know that your next big running goal is achievable? Do you validate it with others or trust yourself? How did it go or how is it going?

ATTQOTD: When I started thinking about running my first Marathon, a running friend told me that she had easily qualified for Boston on her first with a simple walk/run plan and that my speed was similar to hers. I knew that I would succeed completing my first and then Dopey but a BQ? Not sure that it is a realistic goal or a relatively easy one. I felt bad about it and kind of asked on this thread whether one should train where they are or where they want to be. Talking with her again this year and sharing my doubts was a revelation: When she did it, BQ was under 4:00 hours. That is actually something I can achieve and that I was planning to validate in my next race. Now, BQ for me is 3:50 hours. Not so sure I can do it in a year, for example. Which brings me to this QOTD.

ETA: Am I chasing a unicorn?

QOTD: How do you know that your next big running goal is achievable? Do you validate it with others or trust yourself? How did it go or how is it going?

ATTQOTD: When I started thinking about running my first Marathon, a running friend told me that she had easily qualified for Boston on her first with a simple walk/run plan and that my speed was similar to hers. I knew that I would succeed completing my first and then Dopey but a BQ? Not sure that it is a realistic goal or a relatively easy one. I felt bad about it and kind of asked on this thread whether one should train where they are or where they want to be. Talking with her again this year and sharing my doubts was a revelation: When she did it, BQ was under 4:00 hours. That is actually something I can achieve and that I was planning to validate in my next race. Now, BQ for me is 3:50 hours. Not so sure I can do it in a year, for example. Which brings me to this QOTD.

ETA: Am I chasing a unicorn?

I know I can hit a goal mostly because I am too stubborn to stop. I haven’t set Boston as one yet because my time is 3:20 but I fear someday that will be my target. Right now I’m going for sub 4 and I am confident it can happen once in person races come back (need that crowd support)
If you think you can make sub 3:50 then you can. I think you can do it.

Last edited:

Depends on the goal. When I signed up for my first race, I would have said "I don't know if it's achievable". But I was starting from a position of total ignorance about running and my capability.

As I moved forward and added new goals--which were at that point about hitting longer distance--I felt that it was possible because it was incremental--do a 5k, do a 10k, do a half, do a full. The full did scare the crap out of me, and was never a given, but I kept in mind "this is why we train", i.e. I had a plan and took it one run at a time.

When it came time to think of BQ, I was fortunate enough to be pretty close already (my first marathon was within 5 minutes), so I believed I could do it. (I pretty much listen to me, not others)

I think BQ requires clear eyes, clear mind about where you are now, what will it take to get there.....but also an Attitude that it is possible, and a Desire to want to do it. Seems like you are in the right headspace to pursue it---no unicorn chasing! It may be a stretch goal, but if you build up from where you are now, take the time to get to where you need to be in a smart way, then you have a chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter