The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I recently visited Napa for the first time for a week, leading up to my husband's brother's destination wedding. (The irony is that neither my husband nor I drink.) I have to say that for running, Napa in the summer is pretty wonderful. It doesn't rain, the humidity is very low, and it gets pretty cool overnight, so morning runs are very nice - just after sunrise can easily be in the 50s F. The scenery and views are gorgeous. The downside is that it's a bit hilly. So for summer running, I might have to pick that as ideal in what I've experienced, But I don't really know what the winter is like - apparently that is when it rains, and I don't know how much nor how often.

But I'd only pick that for running purposes. I have no desire to live there otherwise.

Congrats @run.minnie.miles !!! So exciting! I ran for the first part of all my pregnancies and then switched to walking (usually 2-3 miles). I was just uncomfortable running but I know many people do continue to run. I did pick running back up at 4-6 weeks post partum and it was no problem at all. I also leave my kids home with their dad. It's my regain my sanity alone time. Ha!

As for where to live...not Texas. I love so many things about Texas but the weather and scenery are usually not on the list. I'd probably choose California. It's such a beautiful state and the weather is very nice.

I needed to hear this. I almost cried on this morning's run as it felt harder and I was soooo muuuch sloooooower than I expected. Then I realized despite my attempt to run in the AM vs. noon sun, it was much more humid and not that much cooler than it was when I was seeing faster mile times. So perhaps summer is not when one works on speed? Do I give in and enjoy lazy miles and consider speed later?
Yes, I slow down when it is hot and humid. And it is important to enjoy because otherwise I will stop running! But I still do some speed work except that I go by feel instead of numbers: Let say that running at my 5k speed (x min/mile) would normally mean that I give 80% of effort. Then, I do the same time interval at that same effort and it gives what it gives in terms of numbers.

ATTQOTD: I didn’t run when I lived in NorCal but the temps were perfect for running! Very mild climate, maybe a bit warm in the daytime in summer but the ocean breeze comes in in the evening to cool it off. The climate (and my DS!) are the only things I miss though!

@run.minnie.miles Congratulations! I was waiting for you to post it on here ever since I saw it on instagram!

Back to the puppy talk, anyone in the NC area looking for a puppy? DD29 and my DSD rescued a puppy from the side of the road and basically saved his life. He was severely dehydrated. She took him to the vet and he is now flea and worm free and has had all his shots! She lives in an apartment and can only have one pet and she already has a dog. She will have to take him to a shelter if she can’t find him a home. He is 2 months old and weighs 15 lbs. D304EB5B-DAC5-4E94-80F1-1113765FC876.jpegE4B615AD-0F06-4696-9C97-C733EC5BB949.jpeg001545E0-E704-42A5-8422-97C3DD837239.jpeg

ETA: I really did post those right side up! :confused3

Last edited:
Back to the puppy talk, anyone in the NC area looking for a puppy? DD29 and my DSD rescued a puppy from the side of the road and basically saved his life. He was severely dehydrated. She took him to the vet and he is now flea and worm free and has had all his shots! She lives in an apartment and can only have one pet and she already has a dog. She will have to take him to a shelter if she can’t find him a home. He is 2 months old and weighs 15 lbs. View attachment 416503View attachment 416504View attachment 416505

I’m going to post this on the Rhodesian group - that looks like a 2 month old Rhodesian (possibly ridgeless - it’s possible a crappy breeder that dumped because it was ridgeless).

I can get you the rescue coordinator for that area.

I’m going to post this on the Rhodesian group - that looks like a 2 month old Rhodesian (possibly ridgeless - it’s possible a crappy breeder that dumped because it was ridgeless).

I can get you the rescue coordinator for that area.
Thank you! I had no idea he could be that breed. DD29 is in Raleigh/Durham area. Here is another pic from before she took him to the vet. 7C971E90-A477-4507-951B-9E5019878EE2.png

Yes, I slow down when it is hot and humid. And it is important to enjoy because otherwise I will stop running! But I still do some speed work except that I go by feel instead of numbers: Let say that running at my 5k speed (x min/mile) would normally mean that I give 80% of effort. Then, I do the same time interval at that same effort and it gives what it gives in terms of numbers.

If I may add on a little... I 100% agree with the above. The benefits you get from running in the heat/humidity are tremendous, and the slow times on your speed work won’t matter on race day.... you’ll be way faster lol. However there are a few tricks. First walk your rest intervals and possibly make them a little longer to help manage your body heat better. Also you may have to go out slightly easier than desired effort on the first few intervals. It’s really important to finish the interval strong, because your form will break down worse in the heat. Also, be very very careful not to run your easy days too fast. A lot of ppl will look at the average HR and neglect the fade. Once again you have to start you easy runs extra easy because heat builds exponentially over time in humid conditions. You only have 4 methods to cool, convection, conduction, radiation, and evaporation. Unless it’s windy, you lose all 4 while running in the humidity... hence exponential nature of the heat accumulation. Sorry for the extra, but I run in some pretty extreme heat on purpose and it’s an amazing tool!! Just gotta use it right 😆 Oh and if you do it correctly, the heat warms you up faster and the reduce speed keeps the levers shorter... meaning less injuries😆😆😆

I am really behind as I have been traveling for work.

@run.minnie.miles congrats on your pregnancy. I am not pregnant but I am glad you asked this question as I would also like to continue running when I do become pregnant.

In terms of places I would like to run I don’t mind NE most of the year. It is pretty and there are lots of local races. But ideally I would love to live in London, Ireland or Paris. I just love Western Europe.

Hello all, I have been quiet the last couple of weeks. Was on vacation for one and wanted to disconnect, then we came back this week and we are finishing up getting ready for the wedding tomorrow so it has been busy. I am hopefully not ignoring anything important that happened the last 2 weeks. I see @run.minnie.miles has exciting news, congrats to you!

I will be back regularly soon but I had to stop in because I am frustrated. I had my MRI a couple of weeks ago and went yesterday to meet with the doctor, see the results, and schedule surgery, or so I thought.

I went, saw the results, but the doctor informed me my tendons are not torn. In his words, "Your tendons are pristine!" My mouth hit the floor. He showed me my MRI compared to someone that had torn tendons and explained how to read the MRI so I understood it.

Of course it is good news they are not torn. What is frustrating is there is no explanation why it hurts. He has no answer. He wants me to try biomedics and sent an email to a doctor he works with. This is great except these treatments aren't covered by insurance and run around $1000 each with no guarantee they will even help. Seems like a big chunk of change for no guarantee it will even help.

I told the "wife" I am just going to focus on stretching, yoga, and ice to strengthen the area as some reading I did on the internet says it could be tendonitis and these are the best ways to treat. The doctor also told me to keep using the orthotics. but, i will just force myself to run through the pain. I was worried it was about to snap when it was hurting but if I know it's pristine, its just pain!

A lot of ppl will look at the average HR and neglect the fade.
Could you elaborate on this a little? I've been running (leisurely) for about 7 years, but only this past spring started actually focusing on how I run, and am doing my first training plan for a 10K in August. Not going too fast on my easy runs like you mentioned has been difficult, and I've been trying to let my HR and how I feel in general dictate whether my easy pace is actually easy or not. I'm in the Richmond, VA area so dealing with tons of nice heat and humidity here. Thanks!

Fun Friday QOTD: What are your favorite Disney themed candles?

ATTQOTD: I will admit I am a little obsessed with getting candles with Disney scents to them. I just got 3 from the magic candle company, Dole Whip (MY second one, very solid), Haunted Mansion, and Pirates. I've also purchased the Pop Century, and the bakery one in the past. I was not a fan of the Pop one but liked everything else so far. I forget the name of the other place I got Disney candles from but they had a Gastons and Pop one and the Pop one was perfect! I love the smell of the lobby at Pop!!!!!!!!!
With power outages expected tomorrow in my area, I guess I might get to test out the stash this weekend! PS if my area gets the 20"+ of rain that could come this weekend and lives nearby with a boat, let me know lol. We'll be floating in the kiddie pool until you come get us lol. Hopefully that doesnt actually play out, but I will be putting my axe in my attic this evening.

ATTQOTD: I will admit I am a little obsessed with getting candles with Disney scents to them. I just got 3 from the magic candle company, Dole Whip (MY second one, very solid), Haunted Mansion, and Pirates. I've also purchased the Pop Century, and the bakery one in the past. I was not a fan of the Pop one but liked everything else so far. I forget the name of the other place I got Disney candles from but they had a Gastons and Pop one and the Pop one was perfect! I love the smell of the lobby at Pop!!!!!!!!!
With power outages expected tomorrow in my area, I guess I might get to test out the stash this weekend! PS if my area gets the 20"+ of rain that could come this weekend and lives nearby with a boat, let me know lol. We'll be floating in the kiddie pool until you come get us lol. Hopefully that doesnt actually play out, but I will be putting my axe in my attic this evening.
I have not jumped into the candles yet as many candles give me headaches and I do not trust my kids not to burn down the house- my little brother nearly did twice when we were kids, and we had a dorm burn down in college so I am a bit more paranoid than most. I did consider getting the Beach Club lobby smell. It makes me smiley and chilled out just thinking about that smell.

Wishing for a quick passing of a reduced intensity storm for you, LSUlakes. I hope it is not an inflatable kiddie pool!

There are Disney themed candles? I know I shouldn't be surprised, but this is news to me.
@camaker and @BuckeyeBama plenty of places offer them. They usually dont use exact names, probably because of trademark issues but they are easy to determine which ones are which. The company has a sponsorship with the Dis Unplugged I believe and I forgot what the discount code is but I'm sure it would be easy to find somewhere on this board. Magic Candle Company . The Pop and Gaston candles I liked came from Magically Scented.

I’ve thought about trying a few from magic candle company but have never actually bought one. Maybe after a trip when I have the smells fresh in my mind I’ll think of buying a couple and see whether I like them/how close they are. Even taking a trip or two a year since 2012 I’m not sure my nose is quite dialed in to the exact smells of different resorts/attractions/etc.

ATTFFQOTD: I buy mine from Walter & Rosie Candle Co. I love the Beach Club because it reminds me of my Dopey trip and it's super calming. The Enchanted Rose is amazingggg. We have lots more but those are the two that stand out. I think the Dis Board works with Magic Candle Company and you can get for 15% off if you use the code "Disneyinfo".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter