The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I usually bring my running gear. It doesn't always get used. I always have the best intentions. I do try to squeeze at least one run in though. I will likely be training for something during this years vacation (European cruise woohoo) so I will be that person trying not to fall over while running on a cruise ship.

QOTD: Do you feel guilty if you go on vacation and do not bring your running stuff?
ATTQOTD: Well, I pretty much wear running clothes all the time that I'm not working, so I always have some with me on vacation, whether I plan to run or not, lol! What can I say? It's FL and stretchy, fast-drying clothes make me happy :) But no guilt if I were to go somewhere and not plan to run.

Trip report question for those who do them. I have a pre trip report going. After the trip do you start a new thread or just change the title and OP and add from there?
I haven't done one in ages, but back when I did, I usually did the pre as a separate thread.

Trip report question for those who do them. I have a pre trip report going. After the trip do you start a new thread or just change the title and OP and add from there?

I do my trip reports in my training journal. I just change the title as I go along. I like having everything in one place.

ATTQOTD: I took running gear along, but it never seemed to get used. We are taking an East Coast road trip from FL & up into Canada in June. I plan on running no matter what.

ATTQOTD: I almost always take it and I use it about 25% of the time. DH is pretty good about using the hotel gyms. I hate the gym and don't use it in my normal life, so faceplanting off the treadmill doesn't sound like a fun vacation to me!

OK. Here's the roundup so far.

Alba Botanica Sport SPF 45
4 oz: $8.89
Recommended for 80 min of exercise. Also available with fragrance free and SPF 50.

Sun Bum SPF 70
8 oz: $15.99
SPF 30, 50, Acts as moisturizer. Recommended for 80 min of exercise. Also have a "signature" line featuring zinc based formula.

Coppertone Sport 30
7 oz: $6.99
Also with SPF 50. Comes in lotion and spray. Recommended for 80 min of exercise.

Z Blok SPF 45
4 oz: $14.95
Zinc Oxide base. Fragrance free. Recommended for 2 hours of exercise.

Endurance Shield SPF 45
4 oz: $23.99
Won't clog pores, acts as moisturizer, endurance tested but no time usage recommendation.

Neutrogena ultra sheer Dry-touch SPF 55
3 oz: $10.99
Won't clog pores. Recommended for 80 min of exercise​

A few takeaways:

Pretty much all of them say 80 minutes is the limit for performance in the presence of water (or sweat). Endurance Shield suggests it can do more -- and some of the testimonials do as well -- but I'm guessing you're pretty much on your own after an hour and a half. The ones marketed as high-performance tend to have a price tag to match.

Z Blok and Sun Bum both offer zinc oxide-based versions which seem to have a selling point of not causing your eyes to tear up. The rest seem to be petroleum-based formulas.

Most major brands seem to offer a range of SPF but Sun Bum's 70 was the top number I could find in this quick survey.

A lot of these also come in lotion and spray versions. There doesn't seem to be any information if one or the other affects durability.

Fragrance free isn't always listed but neither do most of these tout a specific scent.​

For me, personally, I'm thinking one of the lower priced ones will probably do for my regular runs but I'll need more input/research for deciding what will be best for longer runs.

One tidbit I came across pulling this together which I had forgotten, sunblock is only good for a couple of years at most. Many brands have an expiration date on their bottles. So you might want to check for that as we start to slide into the summer months.

Thanks for summarizing this. It took me awhile to backtrack to find it, what with all the soda vs. pop vs. coke posts. :)

I had thought about trying Endurance Shield, but does it sting the eyes? That drives me absolutely bonkers. Seems like the summary implies that it would. That's sort of why I had switched to something zinc oxide-based.

But I do love people watching and I often watch people at the gym and the ones that move so slow they aren't even sweating. I'm never one to put someone down trying to improve themselves but I want to ask them, "If your heart rate isn't any higher here than it is in the couch do you still think you will lose weight just because your in the gym?"
Maybe they are on an Easy/LR day :)

ATTQOTD: There was a time when I would never have done anything physical on vacation, but the last 3 years I've been training for big races, so I try to stick to the plan as much as I can. Plus it's nice to have different scenery.

QOTD: Music or no music while running? (music could be pod cast or something similar)

BONUS QUESTION: Continuing with the beverage discussion: Favorite type of Root Beer? Barqs... because it has bite! Out of a glass bottle is the GOAT!

No music. It messes with me and actually makes me slower!

Also, I don't like root beer.

QOTD: Do you feel guilty if you go on vacation and do not bring your running stuff?

HA HA HA HA HA! Seriously, what is the question....So people really go on vacation WITHOUT running gear?! *Mind blown*

The PTR board is separate from the TR board. I always create a new thread. You can have ask to have it moved and continue in the same thread though if you do choose.

Nope. I will bring it if there's something I absolutely have to train for or I'm going to a place where running might be interesting, but otherwise no. I brought everything with me to Cape Cod two years ago to continue my IM training, for example, but I never bring anything with me during our annual Vegas trip.

Tomorrow since I will be driving i wont be able to post a QOTD. First person to respond they want the honors get it! Also that person will be responsible for nominating someone for Mondays QOTD.

I think @run.minnie.miles volunteered for this :)

I grew up in MA and were I lived subs were called grinders. My DH grew up in Maine and all his family still lives there. I remember the first time I tried to order a grinder there. We went to a pizza place and I wanted an Italian grinder, cold, not toasted. The people behind the counter were confused. They had no idea what I was trying to order LOL!!! All subs there are called Italians. Doesn’t matter what meat is on it or if hot or cold. They are all called Italians. Meatball Italian, tuna Italian, ham Italian, etc. I still get confused when they ask if I went fresh dough or regular dough for my pizza.

Yeah, Italian is sometime used like soda or coke or pop. Really, though, there is only one Italian. They were first made at Amato's sandwich shops, but I think the best version is found at Di Pietro's Market in South Portland.

https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-environment/italian-sandwich-amatos/

ATTQOTD: for me it depends on a few factors. Like this trip next month is just the kids and I so there won’t be any running. My exercise will be whatever walking I can accomplish touring the parks and some body weight exercises in the hotel if I’m feeling ambitious.

Next trip planned is in September and I reworked my training plan so I don’t have a run that weekend.

Now if my husband and I do get the no-kids trip we are thinking about in July, then I will take stuff to run because I’ll be in training and it will be easy to get runs in.

ATTQOTD: I feel like there are a lot of variables to this question. What is exactly considered a vacation? Is that subjective? Do weekend getaways count? Most of our long vacations in the past 4 years have been race-cations, so yeah, I am usually running. But up until recently, I haven't really been serious about running or training, so we would bring our running gear on weekend trips and never run. However, now, my training plan doesn't take a break for a weekend getaway. I look at it as a fun, new place to get my miles in and maybe see some things I wouldn't have.

ATTQOTD: Over the last year, all of our vacations have been racecations or during a training plan so I was running on all of them. The last time I remember going on a trip where I did not run was our cruise in November 2016 and that was only because I fainted during the muster drill due to lack of water/food and I didn't feel quite right that entire trip. I enjoy running in new places, like many of the others have said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter