The Running Thread - 2018

Not all midwest states say this though.... ;) The best midwest states don't.

I have always found the soda pronunciation thing weird. Then again people think I am nuts when I say bubbler....

Looks like your state is split... you must be in the non-midwest part ;)

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

ATTQOTD: I listen to music and audiobooks. I try and keep the music to a quick beat to keep me moving. I find I'll slow down with a slower song.

Root Beer: IBC in the bottle is pretty good. I actually have some Zevia Ginger Root Beer in the pantry that's not too bad. I have a wicked sweet tooth and there's no calories in that stuff because it's made with stevia instead of sugar.

I grew up in Massachusetts so it was tonic, soda or so-der as a couple others mentioned. People pahk theyah cahs to eat pizzer and drink soder.

This weekend and Monday, we have the following folks with races!!!!!

14 - @apdebord - Dismal Swap Stomp Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @beatlecat42 - Garden Spot Village Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @kywyldcat03 – Nashville Moosic City Dairy Dash 15K (NG / N/A)
14 - @ZellyB - Rock the Parkway Half Marathon (2:10:00 / NA)
14 - @Chris-Mo - Rock the Parkway Half Marathon (2:10:00 / NA)
15 - @Dopeyintraining - Reolution Run 15k (PR / N/A)
15 - @chuckille - Silicon Valley Half Marathon (1:45:00 / N/A)
15 - @Sailormoon2 - Spring Flyer 10k (59:59 / N/A)

baamarathon-2018_orig.jpg

16 - @Wendy98 - Boston Marathon (TBD / N/A)
16 - @BikeFan - Boston Marathon (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you would like to make a revision to your race, please let me know. We look forward to reading about how your race went!

I would also like to take a moment to congratulate @Wendy98 and @BikeFan on qualifying and running this years Boston Marathon. It takes a lot of hard work a dedication, and I believe the two of you deserve a little extra recognition for your effort. Safe travels and enjoy the run!

Thanks! I'm running this one with my youngest brother (his first), which is exciting. We're both just hoping to stay as warm and dry as possible given the weather forecast and don't really have any time goals. I got a little spoiled by the perfect weather last year, but I've run in the rain before, so we'll manage. Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend, and I look forward to following up Boston with the Darkside Half weekend!

ATTQOTD Multiple Versions:

Headgear: I always have a headband or sweat band to keep it out of my face as much as possible. I used a visor for last year's Dark Side Half to help keep the sun out of my eyes. It was just a standard Nike visor, but as a visor, it provided some glare reduction without retaining heat. I only use a hat or visor if necessary.

I do not drink alcohol at all, so Root Beer all the way for me. I prefer A & W especially in the chilled glasses in their restaurants.

Sunscreen: Coppertone Sweatproof Sport SPF 50. My only options for being out in the sun are very white or red like Ariel's hair, which hurts like crazy. It does a good job protecting me from sunburn although if it does sweat into my eyes, it stings badly. I had to stop at a medical tent during Dark Side last year just to wipe it out of my eyes and then I was good to go.

Music: I usually listen to podcasts while running, mostly Disney ones with a Star Wars one thrown into the mix and a collection of addresses given at BYU over the decades. BYU has a longstanding tradition of weekly addresses given on campus by various people ranging from religious leaders to current university faculty and staff to historical figures such as Margaret Thatcher, Supreme Court Justices, U.S. government officials. While I was at BYU, the daughters at the center of Brown vs. The Board of Education (the case that ended school segregation) spoke about that case.

Anyone here knows which century at Pop have been completed? I'm trying to make my room request online and i am given the options of 50's, 60's, and 70's. We are staying in a preferred room if that helps.
I do not know how to insert a link to the Pop Century Room Renovation thread but here is an excerpt:
** Current Status of Pop Renovations ** Updated 3/26/2018

Buildings 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 (some 60’s plus 70’s, 80's and 90's sections) COMPLETE

Buildings 3 and 4 (50’s and 60's sections) STILL BEING RENOVATED

As of March 2018, all room categories have some rooms renovated: Standard View Rooms, Standard Pool View Rooms, Preferred View Rooms and Preferred Pool View Rooms have been renovated.

This post will be updated as further renovations are completed.

Any info you have to contribute to this post please tag @scrappinginontario or myself.

Historical Refurbishment Date as best we can determine:

Building 8, 90's, started renovation on March 6, 2017, opened on June 8, 2017 (~renovation time 94 days)

Building 9, 80's, started renovation early May 2017, opened approx. July 27, 2017 (~renovation time 80 days)

Building 7, 80's, started renovation early June, 2017, opened approx. Sept 20, 2017 (~renovation time 70 days)

Building 10, 70's, started renovation Aug 1 2017, opened on Oct 31, 2017 (~renovation time 92 days)

Building 6, 70's, started renovation Nov 1, 2017, some rooms opened on Dec 12, 2017 and remainder were opened approx. Jan 13, 2018 (~renovation time for first rooms 42 days with balance of rooms taking 74 days)

Building 5, 60's, started some renovations Dec 12, 2017. Remainder of rooms closed approx. Jan 13, 2018. First rooms were reopened February 20, 2018. Balance of rooms opened March 26, 2018. (~renovation time for first rooms 70 days with balance of rooms taking 72 days)

Building 4, 60's, started some renovations Jan 22, 2018. Remainder of rooms started renovations mid-February 2018. First rooms were reopened March 25, 2018 (~renovation time for first rooms 62 days). STILL BEING RENOVATED

Building 3, 50’s, started some renovations March 3, 2018. Some non-refurbished rooms still open to guests. STILL BEING RENOVATED

View attachment 281536

popcenturyroomlayoutlarge-jpg.291706

300px-Disney%27s_Pop_Century_Resort_logo.svg.png

VIDEOS showing new room renovations:

Anyone here knows which century at Pop have been completed? I'm trying to make my room request online and i am given the options of 50's, 60's, and 70's. We are staying in a preferred room if that helps.

I do not know how to insert a link to the Pop Century Room Renovation thread but here is an excerpt:

Here is the thread -

https://www.disboards.com/threads/pop-century-room-renovations.3573071/

Here is the map - 50's is still under construction and has the least number of Preferred rooms, I would not ask for that. 70's is done.

pop-map-jpg.281536

ATTQOTD catch-up:

Hats: I prefer none but will wear a Bondi Band if it is around freezing point and windy or a winter running hat if it is super cold.

Beer: Not a fan but will drink some in certain social circumstances. I prefer cocktails.

Root beer: I have tasted this a long time ago. I like pretty much any other type of soft drinks over it.

Sunscreen: I use Bioterm or La Roche but my DDs have recently switched to Hawaiian Tropics and surprisingly my skin doesn’t complain... Much cheaper. I use a stick for my nose and around my eyes.

Snow White: Of course, meeting a princess or being one is always a priority while in WDW.

Boston Marathon: Best wishes to @Wendy98 @BikeFan and all runners!

Music: None for me, I find that running is almost like meditation in motion. Very rarely, if I lack motivation on a short slow training run I will listen to one of the Nike Guided Run on my phone (on speakers, no earbuds).

ATTQOTD: I forgot to note that I do listen to music during races. I always keep the volume low enough to know what's going on around me including race announcements. I also like to select playlists themed to that race. Hence the name of my Star Wars races playlist, A Tribute to All John Williams Music, But Mostly Star Wars. Bonus points for reading that in the proper voice if you recognize the reference. Which a few on here probably will.

ATTQOTD: Once upon a time I couldn't run without music. I'm not sure why or when it changed, but I rarely listen to music now. (I made a special playlist for the last forty-five minutes of my half-marathon last month and never hit play.) If I listen to anything at all, it's podcasts. I've tried audio books, but since I don't always listen for every run, I tend to lose my place in the story.

When I am on the treadmill it is Netflix all the way and I pick a show that I will only watch when I am running as a form of motivation.

I’d like to give an update on my shopping for running pants/shorts/skirts with pockets.

First, thank you to all who answered
(@Miranda @Dis5150 @Ariel484 @Princess KP @TheHamm @Mickey Momma @PrincessV @AZMermaid @Bree @LilyJC @CDKG ), I took note of all your suggestions and prepared my shopping plan.

Online: SparkleSkirts, Oiselle,
INKnBURN, SkirtsSports
seem fantastic. After hours of browsing I concluded that I will probably order one of their products one day, but, shipping to Canada with duties etc. makes them less accessible. I will have to time my orders with one of my trip and be 100% sure of the fit. Or register for a runDisney race toncheck the Expo.

Athleta: We do not have stores in Canada. Old Navy and Gap Fit did not have good options available at this point.

Lululemon: They had one style available but the material was heavy and the cost prohibitive.

Main running brands: Nope.

Hyba (Reitmans): They no longer have the style I liked but tell me that they expect their Spring collection next week. I will keep looking.

Surprise runner up Joe Fresh: Yes, after browsing, dragging DH to the mall, sneaking out at lunchtime to check downtown stores, I ended up falling on a pair of running shorts with amazing pockets at my grocery store!!! They were in sale at about 12USD and have fun patterns on them. I can’t wait to test them.

ATTQOTD: Music or Audiobooks for me. I tried without music in my last 5K and it was awful. I do keep the volume down when I'm outside so that I can hear the cars (we live on a pretty dangerous street). My next race, I'm going to try one earbud in and one out. I like the idea of being courteous and hearing what's going on around me, but I need my music.

ATTQOTD: Slow runs get Podcasts, and occasionally audiobooks. (I ran at night while listening to the last HP book and one scene was very Voldemorty and it was dark and I kind of scared myself, lol.)
- HP books are my favorite audiobooks. I've listened to the complete serious at least 3 times. And, yes, I've been running in the early morning hours when it's still dark and freaked myself out. :rotfl:

ATTQOTD: Music or Audiobooks for me. I tried without music in my last 5K and it was awful. I do keep the volume down when I'm outside so that I can hear the cars (we live on a pretty dangerous street). My next race, I'm going to try one earbud in and one out. I like the idea of being courteous and hearing what's going on around me, but I need my music.

I do one earbud in and one out for races. It works really well - I can hear what's going on around me, but I can also hear my music, and if I need an extra burst of encouragement, I make an effort to pay a little more attention to the music (well, it usually works well ... last race I accidentally unplugged my earbuds and all I could hear was the race).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter