The Running Thread - 2018

Also, re people at the gym not working out to your standards:
Different people have different reasons for going to the gym.
For example ... I will sometimes take a walk in the middle of my work day - not for exercise, but just to get the blood flowing in my legs and to have a little downtime. If that wasnt an option and I had a gym membership, I might go to the gym after work and walk on the treadmill (probably super slow) while watching some YouTube videos. Just as a chance to unwind and reset - not trying to get my heart rate up, just trying to unwind and loosen up.

Dont judge other people. You don't know why they do the things they do. Yes, some things are common courtesy (like wiping down machines or fan ettiquite), but some things are super personal (like why someone goes to the gym and what they do there), and if you're judging someone for that, then you probably dont belong at the gym (or anywhere else where people are).
:worship::worship::worship:

THISx1000. I've found the gym discussion to be a little disappointing, very opposite of the normally welcoming spirit we normally have here.

Personal example of why this has touched a nerve with me: I'm currently expecting a kiddo and until recently I didn't look like it. I have tried really hard to keep going to the gym (a group workout class) consistently and have been proud to be able to do that. I can't run as fast as I used to because it makes me dizzy, I get out of breath easily, and my doctor told me to slow down (something about the kid needing enough oxygen, so demanding already! :upsidedow)...but I'm trying . So I know why I'm seemingly a little more lazy-looking on the treadmill lately, but no one else does (well, by now they probably do, but up until the past couple of weeks probably not). And in this class, our heart rate stats are up on a big screen for everyone to see, along with calorie burn, etc. The numbers don't lie, I've consistently been the lowest in the class since the beginning of the year and I'm sure to others, it doesn't even look like I'm trying. I am CRAZY self-conscious about it, even though I (and the instructors) know that it's a victory that I'm getting there and moving at all. You just never know what's going on with other people, so yeah, if it's more important to you to judge someone else rather than focus on your own workout, maybe you're the one with the problem.

Where are you finding the HP audiobooks? Audible? I’ve been wanting to listen to them during runs but they audiobooks seem so pricey for something I’ve already read.

I am bad and found them online for free. They were MP3 files that I imported into iTunes then converted to audiobook format.

Random Question (I'm good at these ;) )...
Do you count walking miles in your monthly mileage totals?

When it's nice out, DH and I enjoy going for 2-3 mile walks in the evening together and can't decide if I want to record them in my ol' journal.
I've been wondering the same thing. I walk on days I don't run, usually around 3 miles although last week I went on a 6+ mile walk after it was suggested by my husband we clean the house ("sure babe, right after my walk...."). While it was tracked with the app I didn't count it towards my total miles.

Random Question (I'm good at these ;) )...
Do you count walking miles in your monthly mileage totals?

When it's nice out, DH and I enjoy going for 2-3 mile walks in the evening together and can't decide if I want to record them in my ol' journal.

I keep track of them separately. I haven't taken a walk in over a month....my poor dog.

I've gotten self conscious at the gym while doing my warmup and easy paces. There were times I was running my WU pace and wish I had a shirt that read "just wait 24 minutes and I'll be sweating my a$$ off"
Or when I've been doing over 20 min of cool down and I'm dripping in sweat but look like I'm barely running. I wish I had a shirt that said "I was running fast before, I promise"
But that would be silly because I'd like to think it doesn't matter. I try to be happy about anyone coming to the gym, because I know that means it won't close down like the other two near me and the cost will stay relatively low for me (yay economics!)

I do weird internal things in my head to motivate myself, like playing treadmill survivor with targets and seeing if I can outlast them (even though I'm only ever going to run as long as I planned to run) But I never really care what other people are actually doing.

Except for the ones who walk backwards at the highest incline with their arms behind them. I'm sure there is a reason for that but it makes my arms hurt thinking about it. And yes, I see it often.

Also, re people at the gym not working out to your standards:
Different people have different reasons for going to the gym.
For example ... I will sometimes take a walk in the middle of my work day - not for exercise, but just to get the blood flowing in my legs and to have a little downtime. If that wasnt an option and I had a gym membership, I might go to the gym after work and walk on the treadmill (probably super slow) while watching some YouTube videos. Just as a chance to unwind and reset - not trying to get my heart rate up, just trying to unwind and loosen up.

Dont judge other people. You don't know why they do the things they do. Yes, some things are common courtesy (like wiping down machines or fan ettiquite), but some things are super personal (like why someone goes to the gym and what they do there), and if you're judging someone for that, then you probably dont belong at the gym (or anywhere else where people are).

Thank you for this. Gyms are super intimidating. Especially if you feel like you don't fit in at one. I have battled weight my entire life. It is a constant up/down win/lose battle. When you are trying to do something to make yourself a better person it hurts extra hard to hear people talk about they way you do things, the speed you do them at or the way you look doing it.

THISx1000. I've found the gym discussion to be a little disappointing, very opposite of the normally welcoming spirit we normally have here.

Personal example of why this has touched a nerve with me: I'm currently expecting a kiddo and until recently I didn't look like it. I have tried really hard to keep going to the gym (a group workout class) consistently and have been proud to be able to do that. I can't run as fast as I used to because it makes me dizzy, I get out of breath easily, and my doctor told me to slow down (something about the kid needing enough oxygen, so demanding already! :upsidedow)...but I'm trying . So I know why I'm seemingly a little more lazy-looking on the treadmill lately, but no one else does (well, by now they probably do, but up until the past couple of weeks probably not). And in this class, our heart rate stats are up on a big screen for everyone to see, along with calorie burn, etc. The numbers don't lie, I've consistently been the lowest in the class since the beginning of the year and I'm sure to others, it doesn't even look like I'm trying. I am CRAZY self-conscious about it, even though I (and the instructors) know that it's a victory that I'm getting there and moving at all. You just never know what's going on with other people, so yeah, if it's more important to you to judge someone else rather than focus on your own workout, maybe you're the one with the problem.

Yes to all these! I’m too new to the boards to say what I was really thinking about the gym comments, so tried to be a tad diplomatic!:rotfl2:

Anyone who is at the gym is most definitely burning more calories than sitting on the couch regardless of whether they’re sweating or not. I hardly ever break a sweat at the gym TBH.

Congrats!!! (And a little bit of commiseration, because kids can be hard work sometimes)
Thank you! :) Yes I've heard that about kids :eek:...we have a very demanding dog so I hope that has somewhat prepared us, but I know we're about to get knocked on our -sses in a few months! :faint:
Yes to all these! I’m too new to the boards to say what I was really thinking about the gym comments, so tried to be a tad diplomatic!:rotfl2:

Anyone who is at the gym is most definitely burning more calories than sitting on the couch regardless of whether they’re sweating or not. I hardly ever break a sweat at the gym TBH.
Welcome! Diplomacy is probably better than getting sassy like I did, you are very wise. ::yes:: And wait are you telling me that grabbing Cheez-its and moving them from the bowl to my mouth while sitting on the couch doesn't burn enough calories?!

I've gotten self conscious at the gym while doing my warmup and easy paces. There were times I was running my WU pace and wish I had a shirt that read "just wait 24 minutes and I'll be sweating my a$$ off"
Or when I've been doing over 20 min of cool down and I'm dripping in sweat but look like I'm barely running. I wish I had a shirt that said "I was running fast before, I promise"
But that would be silly because I'd like to think it doesn't matter.

I feel the same way! But I get really self-conscious at races when I'm doing run/walk intervals and someone yells out "Don't start walking now!"...I would really like to educate them, but as you said, it doesn't matter!

@Ariel484 - just wanted to say that I'm super impressed that you're still going to the gym! Awesome! I hope you can keep it up for the next few months (and once the poop-machine arrives) if you so choose!

In regards to the gym talk, I agree that everyone has different goals so I don't judge too harshly. Bad gym etiquette does bother me though. I love working out at the YMCA because of the crowd demographic. Everyone is pretty respectful and "follows the rules". Rarely are there people there who are completely self absorbed.

Thanks for summarizing this. It took me awhile to backtrack to find it, what with all the soda vs. pop vs. coke posts. :)

I had thought about trying Endurance Shield, but does it sting the eyes? That drives me absolutely bonkers. Seems like the summary implies that it would. That's sort of why I had switched to something zinc oxide-based.

no problem. i figured it was an easy way to get a scattershot idea of what's out there and put them side-by-side. it's not meant to be comprehensive.

Endurance Shield was mentioned by @avondale but soliciting input about it, not recommending. @Keels mentioned using Sun Bum's zinc product her face so might know if that has stinging or other issues. @PrincessV posted about her problems with zinc-oxide-based sunscreen here. she might have some input about what else works without eye stinging.

let us know if you try it.

I totally agree that everyone should work out anyway they want at the gym. Like others mentioned, getting there and doing something is the accomplishment. It is the inconsiderate people (and luckily they are far and few) that bother me. I am so busy trying not to fall off the belt to judge what other people are doing. And I have met very nice people at the gym. But I did have someone ask me to get off the treadmill once as it was their treadmill and they couldn't use another one. It's things like that that bother me. And yes I did get off as I don't like confrontation and it was easier to move to another one.

I totally agree that everyone should work out anyway they want at the gym. Like others mentioned, getting there and doing something is the accomplishment. It is the inconsiderate people (and luckily they are far and few) that bother me. I am so busy trying not to fall off the belt to judge what other people are doing. And I have met very nice people at the gym. But I did have someone ask me to get off the treadmill once as it was their treadmill and they couldn't use another one. It's things like that that bother me. And yes I did get off as I don't like confrontation and it was easier to move to another one.
WOW that’s bold

I have tried really hard to keep going to the gym (a group workout class) consistently and have been proud to be able to do that. I can't run as fast as I used to because it makes me dizzy, I get out of breath easily, and my doctor told me to slow down (something about the kid needing enough oxygen, so demanding already! :upsidedow)...but I'm trying . So I know why I'm seemingly a little more lazy-looking on the treadmill lately, but no one else does (well, by now they probably do, but up until the past couple of weeks probably not). And in this class, our heart rate stats are up on a big screen for everyone to see, along with calorie burn, etc. The numbers don't lie, I've consistently been the lowest in the class since the beginning of the year and I'm sure to others, it doesn't even look like I'm trying. I am CRAZY self-conscious about it, even though I (and the instructors) know that it's a victory that I'm getting there and moving at all. You just never know what's going on with other people, so yeah, if it's more important to you to judge someone else rather than focus on your own workout, maybe you're the one with the problem.

You SHOULD be really proud to keep going! Growing people is its own kind of work out! And as someone who ended up on bedrest partially for not listening to the direction to slow down, I applaud you for doing so- it is hard! I'm also going to pre-preemptively tell you to find a pool to float in. As compression socks are for your calves, the pool is for your entire puffy body.
Also, I am impressed with people who can deal with the stats board, I think that takes a particular type of person, and I cannot deal with the feeling of being publicly shamed- knowing that I was too busy looking at my own numbers to pay attention to anyone else did not sway my disdain for this. Keep it up!

Endurance Shield was mentioned by @avondale but soliciting input about it, not recommending. @Keels mentioned using Sun Bum's zinc product her face so might know if that has stinging or other issues. @PrincessV posted about her problems with zinc-oxide-based sunscreen here. she might have some input about what else works without eye stinging.
I missed this, so thanks for tagging me! @avondale I only use chemical sunscreens, but I never apply it above my eyes because I always wear a hat or visor, so the top half of my face is covered. If you do wear a hat/visor, the easy solution is to just not sunscreen above your eyes. Otherwise, I'm no help - sorry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter