The Running Thread - 2016

You've never done a beer mile? It's a lot harder than it sounds. The drinking isn't the hard part, it's burping enough to let the carbonation out that makes it tough. If you can't do that, you'll end up vomiting and having to run a penalty lap. Our Hash group in Houston puts one on every year, a tradition I continued when I lived in Qatar. Not sure I'll be able to organize one in Erbil, though.

Welp, looks like I know what I need to work into my training.

QOTD: Do you stay active on recovery/rest days?

ATTQOTD: If you count chasing a crazy three year old non-stop, followed by cleaning and cooking...then sure. But otherwise no specific workouts on non-run days. HOWEVER...I just started a 7 minute strength workout (using your own body weight) into the mix. I'm gonna try to do it at least twice a week but I haven't quite figured out the best days just yet.
And weekends I don't think I get a chance to sit down with everything that we over-schedule into our lives...but that balances out with the 9+ hours on my behind at work all week long.

Unofficial QOTD: Beer mile?
ATTUQOTD: It takes me like a half hour to hour to finish one beer because I am such a slow drinker. It seriously weirds people out at work functions. But I'm a slow drinker with everything non-alchohol too. Chugging is not my thing. My beer mile would end up being the longest mile of my life.

Great thread! I'm a little late to the party. My goal this year is to run at least one race a month, so here's what I have so far:

2/6/16 - michigandergirl - Grounghog half marathon - no time goal (it's in the snow)
3/19/16 - michigandergirl - Spectrum Health Irish Jig 5K - under 29 min
4/16/16 - michigandergirl - Gazelle Girl half marathon - under 2:20
5/14/16 - michigandergirl - Fifth/Third River Bank Run 25K - under 2:40
10/23/16 - michigandergirl - Grand Rapids Marathon - under 5:45

Catching up on QOTD:

1. Bucket list - the Dopey Challenge
2. My sister made me something to hang my medals on - it's on the wall near the foot of my bed so when my alarm goes off early in the morning, I can see them for motivation
3. Coffee of any kind (except decaf)
4. I do my long runs on Sat or Sun, whichever works best
5. Us Michiganders have no choice but to run in cold weather, but if it's under 15 degrees or icy I will opt for the treadmill.
6. I try to do yoga on rest days.

I just found this thread and am late to the party as well. I'm doing a bunch of shorter, local races throughout the year but here are the half marathons I'm planning on this year.

3/12/16 - Chaitali- Rock and Roll DC - no time goal since I'm accompanying a friend for her first half marathon and planning to go at her speed
4/02/16 - Chaitali- Oldfield's Half Marathon- time goal is under my 2:57 PR
11/13/16 - Chaitali - Rock and Roll Las Vegas - not sure I'm going to have a time goal since I want to concentrate on having fun at this one

Great thread! I'm a little late to the party. My goal this year is to run at least one race a month, so here's what I have so far:

2/6/16 - michigandergirl - Grounghog half marathon - no time goal (it's in the snow)
3/19/16 - michigandergirl - Spectrum Health Irish Jig 5K - under 29 min
4/16/16 - michigandergirl - Gazelle Girl half marathon - under 2:20
5/14/16 - michigandergirl - Fifth/Third River Bank Run 25K - under 2:40
10/23/16 - michigandergirl - Grand Rapids Marathon - under 5:45

Catching up on QOTD:

1. Bucket list - the Dopey Challenge
2. My sister made me something to hang my medals on - it's on the wall near the foot of my bed so when my alarm goes off early in the morning, I can see them for motivation
3. Coffee of any kind (except decaf)
4. I do my long runs on Sat or Sun, whichever works best
5. Us Michiganders have no choice but to run in cold weather, but if it's under 15 degrees or icy I will opt for the treadmill.
6. I try to do yoga on rest days.

I just found this thread and am late to the party as well. I'm doing a bunch of shorter, local races throughout the year but here are the half marathons I'm planning on this year.

3/12/16 - Chaitali- Rock and Roll DC - no time goal since I'm accompanying a friend for her first half marathon and planning to go at her speed
4/02/16 - Chaitali- Oldfield's Half Marathon- time goal is under my 2:57 PR
11/13/16 - Chaitali - Rock and Roll Las Vegas - not sure I'm going to have a time goal since I want to concentrate on having fun at this one

Welcome to the party. We are just getting started. Added both of yalls races to the list. Thanks for taking part in the thread.

Do you guys using fitness watches? I currently use my iPhone but I'm considering switching. I want to be able to connect to runkeeper automatically since I use that to track my progress and I want something that's low maintenance? I don't want to have to worry about whether or not it'll last through a long run or whether or not the gps will work for an area I run in three times a week. Not sure how realistic that is though, so if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 610 for the last 3 years. Love it. For running and biking it is good. When I really start the triathlon training I will be switching to a 920 as @FFigawi uses.

Beer miles sound great except for the part where I don't like beer. Can we do a wine mile? I'm pretty sure I could get down a half a bottle of wine each 1/4 mile.

I feel the same way about wine as you do beer. I will allow it!

I think I'll start my own tradition of a vodka mile.

You may die if you tried to consume 48 ounces of vodka in less than 15 minutes. If you did not, the hangover may make you wish you did.

Hi everyone! I've been following along the 2016 Marathon thread for a while and got tons of great information there, so I thought this thread would be a good time to actually jump in! My planned races for 2016 so far are:

3/12/16 - SplashRider - Gate River Run 15K - sub-1:20:00 (hopefully in the top 10% of women to get a special hat!)
4/16/16 - SplashRider - Dark Side 10K - either sub-50:00 or no goal
4/17/16 - SplashRider - Dark Side Half Marathon - either sub-1:52:00 or no goal (I'll decide closer to the weekend which I'll race and which I'll take it easy and get lots of pictures!)

I'll do a number of more races later in the year, but haven't registered for anything yet. I'm doing an internship and will be living in Fredericksburg, VA this summer, so if I get there in time, I'll try for the Marine Corps Historic Half. I've also entered the lottery for the NYC Marathon.

My spring schedule for racing is still pretty fluid as well, especially in terms of time goals. I tweaked a hamstring (I think) in my last long run before the WDW Marathon (my first), and that fouled up my whole taper with pain in my outside hamstring tendon on my right knee. It felt totally fine during the actual race (only part of my body that didn't hurt!), but every time I've tried to run since then, it's started ok and then hurt later in the run. The coach of my running group has really cautioned me about trying to get back to my pre-marathon training levels too quickly with this pain, so I'm spending this week doing 2:2 run/walk intervals and we'll see where I am after that. If I can't get this taken care of quickly I'll have to re-think my pace for Gate River Run. Anyone have experience with hamstring tendon pain and have any advice? TIA!

QOTD catch-up:

1. Bucket list - NYC Marathon, Marine Corps Marathon, Boston Marathon (with a BQ--this is my big, long-term goal!)
2. I have a few of my medals and age-group awards scattered around my bedroom right now. I'm a grad student renting a room in a house, so once I graduate and get my own place, I want to make a whole running wall!
3. I try to just do one cup of black coffee. I don't want to become too reliant on caffeine, but man, when that coffee hits my system about midway through my first class, it sure does perk me up!
4. I usually do my long runs on Saturday because that's when my group runs.
5. I live in Florida now, but grew up in western New York, so I did runs in the high teens up there. I really hate being out in the cold though, and I played basketball through high school and undergrad, so my winter running was somewhat limited anyway.
6. I tend not to do anything on rest days, maybe a walk but nothing planned.

Ended up with only 4 miles on the TM today @ 8:17 pace. No running tomorrow, but I plan on getting on some weight lifting. That's going to be interesting...

Wow tough first half. Done it the last two years. Serious hills but definitely a great race
It will be a big change from Disney that is for sure. I probably won't finish anywhere near the time I want, but it does look to be a fun race. Are you running it this year too?

During marathon training I ended up doing just about nothing in between runs. This is my first week back running post marathon. But last week I started alternating weights and yoga/stretching. I'm having a hard time with the yoga piece, but I've stuck with the weights this week to alternate with the running. Still trying to find the right yoga "workout" that works for me. I'd love to hear from anyone that has a good recovery/stretching/yoga type recommendation.

Wow! This thread has really taken off! That is awesome. Out of town and not been able to get on DIS in two days and it has taken me 1 1/2 hours to read through everyone's comments. Love it!

QOTD: What is the coldest weather you've run in? Do you run inside with a treadmill? Do you run later in the day?

So I can't provide a specific number. But I have had plenty of runs where my water bottle froze; while I was holding it! I have gone out in below zero weather. This is not because I am tough, or insane. It is because I am way to cheap to get my treadmill fixed. This is winter number two without the treadmill!

Thank you for the laugh! Sadly we have been that family a time or two. Happiest place on earth...

QOTD: Do you stay active on recovery/rest days?

I tend to take rest days off to focus on the family. But I do need to integrate more flexibility and strength training.

I am planning to run the fifth third 25K and the GR Marathon also! They both look like great races. Good luck this season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter