The Running Thread - 2016

Don't jinx yourself. I wouldn't add it until you're in. :)

I didn't mean it like we were running - I meant a separate list to send people positive vibes as we get closer to the date of the lottery, that's all :) But it was just an idea and if people don't like it, that's cool.

Few questions for you on this... Are you running the 5k and the Half? Can you verify the dates? TIA!
the half only. I thought about the 5k but I had issues with work and scheduling for it last year(I work 12hr nights) and basically had to get off work and drive to Ohio so doing multiple races in a weekend becomes problematic. And you're right. I goofed. The race is the 17th.

Beer miles sound great except for the part where I don't like beer. Can we do a wine mile? I'm pretty sure I could get down a half a bottle of wine each 1/4 mile.

I think I'll start my own tradition of a vodka mile.

This I can can get behind. Or margaritas. Margarita Mile has a nice ring to it:)

The idea of drinking....er, downing a beer every as fast as one can every 1/4 mile sounds like a trip to vomit-ville! I'd be willing to try it but I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE beer. Like most of you, I'd rather do wine or even a shot of liquor every 1/4 mile.

QOTD: With all the talk about the beer mile recently, I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask this question. What is the most unique race that you have run outside of your standard 5k, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon, and full marathon? Exceptions to these distances could be if you had something you had to do during the race that makes it different.

ATTQOTD: I have two, which I have already mentioned. Happy's Beer Mile (Happy's is the name of a bar in Baton Rouge as well as a running club) and the Navy Nautical 10 Miler, which is ~11.5 mile race.

The idea of drinking....er, downing a beer every as fast as one can every 1/4 mile sounds like a trip to vomit-ville! I'd be willing to try it but I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE beer. Like most of you, I'd rather do wine or even a shot of liquor every 1/4 mile.

Although a shot would get the same end result as 4 beers, downing a shot would be much easier. I have always allowed anyone who didn't want to chug a beer the option of drinking 12oz of whole milk. Never had anyone take me up on it, they just drank the beer.

QOTD: With all the talk about the beer mile recently, I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask this question. What is the most unique race that you have run outside of your standard 5k, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon, and full marathon? Exceptions to these distances could be if you had something you had to do during the race that makes it different.
I can't say I've run anything unique. Being under 21 I can't do any of those alcohol races or anything. I've had interest in doing something like a tough mudder but haven't yet. Otherwise everything I've done is standard.

During marathon training I ended up doing just about nothing in between runs. This is my first week back running post marathon. But last week I started alternating weights and yoga/stretching. I'm having a hard time with the yoga piece, but I've stuck with the weights this week to alternate with the running. Still trying to find the right yoga "workout" that works for me. I'd love to hear from anyone that has a good recovery/stretching/yoga type recommendation.
I just did the P90X Yoga routine. I hate it - really hate it. It is not a recovery routine - it is an assault. But it works.

During my time in the 10th Mountain Division we did many different "challenge" races. They varied, but the theme was the same - push your bodies to the max while overcoming a course of obstacles. Think tough mudder, but on steroids. Many of the courses also had "confidence" elements - things that were intimidating and required team work and trust.

ETA - no idea what the distances for these races were. I am not even sure that they were measured as that isn't what mattered. Nobody was setting a PR on these courses.

Not counting the beer mile which has already been discussed, I'd have to say the Naked Mile at Michigan. Originally organized by the crew teams, it was held around midnight on the last day of classes every spring and took us from one side of campus to the other past many bars where the patrons would come and line the streets to cheer and laugh. I'm sure the administration has shut it down by now, but it sure was a good time.

Although a shot would get the same end result as 4 beers, downing a shot would be much easier. I have always allowed anyone who didn't want to chug a beer the option of drinking 12oz of whole milk. Never had anyone take me up on it, they just drank the beer.

When I organized the beer mile at the Rugby Club in Doha, I let people who didn't want to drink beer use Fanta or some other soda instead. The carbonation in soda must be higher than that in beer because only a handful of people, and two kids, took me up on it.

This I can can get behind. Or margaritas. Margarita Mile has a nice ring to it:)

That certainly sounds better than a beer mile. I prefer the sound of the non-alcoholic alternative that we have here in Raleigh. The Krispy Kreme Challenge. Run 2.5 miles, eat a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, run 2.5 miles back. One of these years I'm definitely going to do that race!

That certainly sounds better than a beer mile. I prefer the sound of the non-alcoholic alternative that we have here in Raleigh. The Krispy Kreme Challenge. Run 2.5 miles, eat a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, run 2.5 miles back. One of these years I'm definitely going to do that race!
That sounds both horrible and fun. I think I could eat that many and still run. Maybe?

ATTQOTD:

No strange mileages for me. Well, other than the 27.6 miles for the WDW Marathon that my GPS insists I've run each of the last two years. I know I'm not running the tangents; but I'm not exactly stopping for a tour of the waste water treatment plant either.

ATTQOTD:

No strange mileages for me. Well, other than the 27.6 miles for the WDW Marathon that my GPS insists I've run each of the last two years. I know I'm not running the tangents; but I'm not exactly stopping for a tour of the waste water treatment plant either.

That's a good bit extra. My GPS had it at 26.44 miles, which isn't bad at all. My understanding is that they make it a little bit over the distance because being 1/10 of a mile over is better than someone checking the course and it being .05 under and DQ'ing any important records broken on the course. That's at least what I have been told. Also, GPS watches aren't exactly spot on, but aren't bad either depending on what type and setting you have.

I haven't found many races where you do something interesting in my area. I've done a color run so I guess that would be it but most people have done one of those.

That's a good bit extra. My GPS had it at 26.44 miles, which isn't bad at all. My understanding is that they make it a little bit over the distance because being 1/10 of a mile over is better than someone checking the course and it being .05 under and DQ'ing any important records broken on the course. That's at least what I have been told. Also, GPS watches aren't exactly spot on, but aren't bad either depending on what type and setting you have.

It's a little annoying on the day when I am still outside of Epcot and my GPS says 26.2 but I don't have a problem with the course or question their measurements. I guess running in a zig-zag to avoid possible predators isn't the best option during a marathon.

ATTQOTD: I've talked about this one in my journal before. But I did a Halloween themed trail run in a corn maze (yes you had to try to navigate the maze even though they put little flags up to help now and again...it was not super easy) and it was the night after a giant flash flood storm in the area. It was feet sinking muddy. Also I had signed up for the Tough Pumpkin challenge so I was carrying a pumpkin I could not drop or break because that would mean no medal. I lost my shoes at about the 2 mile mark-ish and dug them out and carried them on my fingertips (cause my arms were full of pumpkin) the rest of the way. It was insane. I threw away my shoes (along with a lot of other people.) Luckily I had the good sense to wear beater shoes to begin with. I came in 73rd place with a time of 43:16 for "5k" and I credit that only to taking my shoes off and running like an insane person in my muddy socks.
Was my slowest 5k to date and probably highest overall ranking :)

Kind of on-topic...This is not a race that exists but my hubby and I thought it would be cool to one day make a "formal 5k" and have everyone get dressy for the run. The free tshirt could be a tuxedo or ball gown type top. Serve water in champagne glasses (probably easier than paper cups anyways) and serve post race food on silver platters by butlers. Have classical trios playing along the course. The medal could double as a monacle or pearls. So many weird ideas. If anyone steals my idea...just give me a cut of the profits!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter