The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: Do you stay active on recovery/rest days?

Until this current Hansons marathon cycle, I had always taken Wednesday completely off. I am attempting during this cycle to bring back my UNC basketball team medicine ball workout I used to do in the earlier days of my running. I'll likely do it on Wednesday (my running rest day) and Saturday afternoon (a 2nd consecutive easy day). If I feel at any point it is negatively effecting my running progress, I'll stop doing it.

I have a Garmin 620, but agree with @LSUlakes that other recent additions to the Garmin family are cheaper and more appropriate for most. I've found I don't need many of the features on the 620 that I convinced myself I needed over a year ago.

I typically stay active on my recovery days. Usually it involves some form of weight training, but at minimum it will be a walk, usually around 3 miles. I have very few total rest days, but I do know they are needed every now and then.

This weekend we have our first race on the list! @DOOM1001 , How are you feeling about the race on 1/31 (Celebration Half) and what's the forecast looking like for race day? Hope everything goes well and you hit your goal of 2:15:00!
Feeling good,just did a 10k on the treadmill without issue and the weather is looking really nice for Sunday,last time I looked it said partly sunny,high of 72 with a race start temp of 50.

From a physical perspective I'm pretty lazy on rest days, although I do like to use the time to get other non-running stuff (household, kids, etc.) done.

I've got a Garmin 610 I purchased a few years ago. When it finally bonks out I'll get a new one as I like how newer GPS watches have the heart rate monitor in the band.

Do you guys using fitness watches? I currently use my iPhone but I'm considering switching. I want to be able to connect to runkeeper automatically since I use that to track my progress and I want something that's low maintenance? I don't want to have to worry about whether or not it'll last through a long run or whether or not the gps will work for an area I run in three times a week. Not sure how realistic that is though, so if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I use a Garmin ___ GPS watching. I've never good at remembering model numbers. It's an awesome watch for giving me pace, distance, and time when I run, which about all I need. I've read phones are inaccurate devices to use.

Yes. Usually yoga or a lite-lifting day is my recovery day. I usually only take a handful of days completely off in a regular year. I usually have 4 running days, and 3 resistance-training days a week. If I have a long run on the weekend I will almost always do yoga the next day for an active recovery day and stretching.

.I have a Garmin 620, but agree with @LSUlakes that other recent additions to the Garmin family are cheaper and more appropriate for most. I've found I don't need many of the features on the 620 that I convinced myself I needed over a year ago.
I'm having problems with the VO2max function, as in its not giving me any numbers for my runs lately... Any ideas?

Dang. Accountability?? I should have kept my stupid mouth shut. :headache:

You're on. 8-)
This weeks dates will be 1/27 and 1/29. Next week and most weeks after I will probably do them in Tuesdays (low mileage) and Thursday (rest day).

Feeling good,just did a 10k on the treadmill without issue and the weather is looking really nice for Sunday,last time I looked it said partly sunny,high of 72 with a race start temp of 50.
Not bad weather at all! How big of race is this? Anything unique about it? Good luck and we look forward to hearing how it went!

I'm having problems with the VO2max function, as in its not giving me any numbers for my runs lately... Any ideas?

On Garmin Connect, go into reports-> VO2max. Is it still giving you output here?

Also, did you happen to switch your setting from "run" to something else? It's possible, although I'm not completely sure, that it may cause an issue with capturing this information.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It sounds like a Garmin is the way to go. I just need to figure out which one is best for me.

Not currently. I don't have trouble with anything (knock on wood) so I haven't made it a priority. I'd like to be able to swim again but there's no place close enough for me to get there after work.

On Garmin Connect, go into reports-> VO2max. Is it still giving you output here?

Also, did you happen to switch your setting from "run" to something else? It's possible, although I'm not completely sure, that it may cause an issue with capturing this information.

I think its set on run but will check when I get home. For some reason it just isn't picking up the data for the estimate. I am getting all of the other data the watch provide but not that one. I am also wearing the HR monitor... I may send Garmin a e-mail if I cant figure it out soon. Thanks!

Not bad weather at all! How big of race is this? Anything unique about it? Good luck and we look forward to hearing how it went!
last year there were about 1800 in the half and 500 running the full.Celebration is the town Disney built about 20 years ago,its only like the third year of the race but its grown in popularity every year.Its also supposed to have a good after party with the restaurants on Mærket stedet providibg the food.Its my first time running this race.

This weeks dates will be 1/27 and 1/29. Next week and most weeks after I will probably do them in Tuesdays (low mileage) and Thursday (rest day).

OK. I'll do the same two dates this week, but from then on will probably do them on Monday and Wednesday since Tuesday/Thursday are normal run days for me.

ATTQOD. I'm doing Hansons now so I only have one non-running day a week. I do try and lift on that day and sometimes on one of the recovery run days.

Do you guys using fitness watches? I currently use my iPhone but I'm considering switching. I want to be able to connect to runkeeper automatically since I use that to track my progress and I want something that's low maintenance? I don't want to have to worry about whether or not it'll last through a long run or whether or not the gps will work for an area I run in three times a week. Not sure how realistic that is though, so if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I've had 2 nike plus watches,a garmin 220 and a garmin 235. I run with guys that use both the garmin 115 and vivofit. All the watches seem to have similar accuracy. If cost is your primary driver I would go with the 115. I think the vivofit is the best all around watch. I think at it's current price point it's probably the best value for a watch. My friends that have it really like the smart watch features. The only thing it lacks is the wrist based heart rate. That was something I really wanted and so I went with the 235. I wanted wrist based heart rate and smartwatch features.

I will wholeheartedly second @FFigawi's recommendation of the DC Rainmaker site. It is a fantastic resource.

I also use Garmin watches to track my running. I started with the Forerunner 220 and found it to be a great starting point and recently upgraded to the Forerunner 235 (Christmas present) and could not be happier.
+1 for the 235 and DC Rainmaker

Bucket List Race for 2017!!!

I normally host one at my house once a year. Either end of spring races or opening weekend of college football. My buddy's old house was exactly a 1/4 mile from my driveway (Measured by wheel). The new homeowner has given me his blessing to continue using his driveway. Current beer mile PR is 7:58. Hoping to move early this spring so I guess I will have to do one more before we move.

Bucket List Race for 2017!!!

You've never done a beer mile? It's a lot harder than it sounds. The drinking isn't the hard part, it's burping enough to let the carbonation out that makes it tough. If you can't do that, you'll end up vomiting and having to run a penalty lap. Our Hash group in Houston puts one on every year, a tradition I continued when I lived in Qatar. Not sure I'll be able to organize one in Erbil, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter