• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Good, The Bad, & the Nuts! ...ANYONE GOING MAY 8-15?

Now for the right side of Future World.

First stop…Imagination :figment:

One little spark
Of inspiration
Is at the heart, ha, ha
Of all creation
Right at the start
Of everything that's new
One little spark
Lights up for you

Two tiny wings
Eyes big and yellow
Horns of a steer
What a lovable fellow!
From head to tail
He's royal purple pigment
And there, Voila!
You've got a Figment

img400.jpg

(look on the wall behind us – it’s the poster for Captain EO)

I really miss Dreamfinder and Figment. This first show was great – the second show was a total waste of time, money and space, and the 3rd show is……well, better than the 2nd – but really, is that saying much? :rolleyes:

Here are a couple shots from the original (the best :snooty:) version of Imagination

img401.jpg

img402.jpg

Moving on to yet another show that I really enjoyed and miss. Yes, Soarin’ is a great ride. But what does it have to do with the Land? :confused3 Ok – we are soarin’ over land…… But the original pavilion had the boat ride showing how food was grown, the restaurants, showing how food is eaten, and Kitchen Kaberet showing how food could sing! :rockband:

Meet our hostess – Miss Bonnie Appetit

img403.jpg

And the comedy act of Mr Hamm and Mr Eggz

img404.jpg

They would sing a few lines and tell a few jokes – mostly bad puns about meat and proteins….but cute

And there was the Kitchen Krackpots

img405.jpg

And my favorite the Fruits & Vegetables

img406.jpg

Veggie Fruit Fruit Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit

http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/kkvvff.mp3

There was also an act featuring dairy products, bread & grains, and spices. It was a really cute show. I liked it better than the Food Rocks version. With Food Rocks, I liked the novelty of seeing which singer was spoofed and turned into singing food. But as far as the show itself – I liked Kitchen Kaberet better. Wish they could have salvaged it somewhere when they added Soarin’ :(

A brief stop at The Living Seas (without Nemo and friends)

It has changed – but other than this

img407.jpg

most of our pics are of fish, and, well, they are still there. :fish: This was a underwater suit you could get in from behind and stick your hands down the sleeves and try to work the controls. It was to demonstrate how awkward it was to wear and to use. I remember being frustrated with it because I couldn’t see what I was supposed to be doing. I thing we were suppose to try to turn knobs and flip levers and I couldn’t see where they were very well.

And now it is time to go home... :(

img408.jpg

I know my pictures were all about things that you just don’t see anymore. And I know you can still see the ball and the fountain at night…….but this is another one of those things that you “don’t” see…….you don’t see all the big purple shade things they put up all over.

We won’t be visiting World Showcase this trip. I looked through the pictures and I really didn’t see anything that was very much different than it is today. Norway & Morocco were the last of the countries to be added to World Showcase – and they are both in my pics – so I don’t even have “blank spaces” where they were added. I think when they make changes it is more of what is inside the buildings - but the exteriors stay pretty much the same. :confused3

I will have one more trip back into the 1988 picture vault – but it will be visiting the areas not in either of the parks.

Come back soon!

I really wish I could have seen the "old Figment ride" that everyone raves about. I love the new one, but that's maybe because I have nothing to compare it to?

Anyhow.... my daughter is a Figment nut, and I came with yet another Figment trinket for her. :cloud9:

I agree with you about the old Figment. It was a true classic. When I took my kids the first time, I didn't know they changed it, I was sooo disappointed.

A brief pause - and a moment of silent remembrance for my brother, Bret Allen Dunblazier, who was born this date 48 years ago. We lost him almost 2 years ago and miss him terribly.

Bret was my only sibling - my older brother. He was, of course with us on our "grand tour" of Florida and was there for our first ever visit to WDW....or Magic Kingdom, more specifically.

Apparently at some other point - when he was living in Georgia after getting out of the Army - him and some buddies went to WDW. As I was thinking about what I was going to post today, in the back of my mind I thought "I should call him and see where all they went' :confused3 :sad1: The only thing I remember him telling us about that trip was that him and his buddies got on the People Mover, and had every intention of being the obnoxious ones screaming as if it were a thrill ride. He said one of his buddies actually was startled when it pulled away and made a little sound :eek: and Bret and his other buddy were laughing at him so hard they were never able to do their "Space Mountain" yells.

I don't know if they went to Epcot. The Studios wasn't there then.

He never married, never had kids - but was a fantastic Uncle for my boys.

He is missed.
Tanya, I know how you feel. I still miss my big brother who passed away on my birthday five years ago! That is a great memory you have of him. What a wonderful story! :thumbsup2

I really wish I could have seen the "old Figment ride" that everyone raves about. I love the new one, but that's maybe because I have nothing to compare it to?

Anyhow.... my daughter is a Figment nut, and I came with yet another Figment trinket for her. :cloud9:

My oldest son is the big Figment fan here. He is studying to become an elementary school teacher and has plans to somehow work Figment into a lesson plan somewhere along the way. We have to look for new Figment stuff for him....but they don't update his merchandise very often.

I agree with you about the old Figment. It was a true classic. When I took my kids the first time, I didn't know they changed it, I was sooo disappointed.

I don't think my kids remember "old" Figment. Sean would have been 10 when the 2nd version opened - I don't remember when the original actually closed - and when we saw it last - but he would have been pretty young.

Tanya, I know how you feel. I still miss my big brother who passed away on my birthday five years ago! That is a great memory you have of him. What a wonderful story! :thumbsup2

I always wanted to get him back down there again. He did so much with my boys, that I wanted to send him down with Sean (my oldest) and let them use our DVC points for rooms. We were hoping to do that late spring/early summer of '09. It would have kind have been a graduation trip for Sean (from Jr. Coll). They were talking about it, but Bret was job hunting and didn't know if he would be able to get time off from a new job then. Plus he was doing a lot more dialysis than I do - but he was interested, especially since I had done trips with my dialysis stuff and he knew it was "doable". It's another one of the "if only"s I have. :confused3

I'll have to raid Mom;s house sometime and see if I can find our pics from our 1977 Disney trip. I think there were only a handful of pictures from Magic Kingdom, though.

I luved Figment and Dreamcatcher. I still remember it to this day, from 1996.
I wish they'd bring back the original ride. We asked a cast member what was in the top part of the pyramid and they said "it's the old version." So it's still there according the cast member...

I have a few photos of Magic Kingdom when my mom and dad went for their honeymoon back in the late 70's. Not much. Then i have pictures of 92/93? when i went with my grandparents and my parents.

I recently found an old map of epcot from 96 in a drawer in the dinning room. How cool is that!
I loved seeing your vintage pictures. :)

I luved Figment and Dreamcatcher. I still remember it to this day, from 1996.
I wish they'd bring back the original ride. We asked a cast member what was in the top part of the pyramid and they said "it's the old version." So it's still there according the cast member...

I have a few photos of Magic Kingdom when my mom and dad went for their honeymoon back in the late 70's. Not much. Then i have pictures of 92/93? when i went with my grandparents and my parents.

I recently found an old map of epcot from 96 in a drawer in the dinning room. How cool is that!
I loved seeing your vintage pictures. :)

:welcome: What a cool find - coming across the old map. I always saved ours from our trips and brought them home....only to pitch most of them a few months later. :headache: Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble across some older ones in a drawer or a box somewhere that I've overlooked.

I see you are leaving on your next trip one week after us. Have a great time!!

sweet i loved that kitchen show it was awesome.

so was the old school show in mickeys judges tent.
:thumbsup2

For the final chapter of the WDW that “was” 1988 edition we will be leaving the parks.

First stop

River Country! :beach:

img409.jpg

We went here one day. Once again, the memories are fuzzy. I do remember riding on a tube ride and the tube got kinda hung up towards the bottom. Another gal was coming down on her tube behind me and we bonked heads. I didn’t see her coming but DH was already in the water and out of his tube and he saw it but there was nothing he could say or do to stop it.

img410.jpg

img411.jpg

Now it’s shopping time :cool1:

img415.jpg

This is “Downtown Disney”. There were a few shops – really expensive shops if I remember right. Although, I do believe that is where we finally bought our kitchen clock.

And a glimpse into the future :wizard:

img412.jpg

I don’t know if we knew at the time they were adding a 3rd park, but I do know we saw this while we were out and about….so we must have figured something out, because we took a couple pictures of it.

Now I will wrap this up with 3 more things you just don’t see anymore

img413.jpg

Me staying at an offsite hotel……:snooty:

img414.jpg

my husband in shorty-shorts :lmao:…….and a rental car……

img416.jpg

and the inside of the cockpit in the middle of a flight.

Other memories from our honeymoon (and yes, I do know this is a family site) ;)

Greg Louganis hitting his head on the diving platform in the Olympics. (Although, apparently that happened before we were Florida, they must have replayed it a bunch because I sure remember watching it down there)

I learned of the death of VC Andrews (she died in Dec 1986 - don't know how I found out anything pre-internet!) and thought that would be the end of her books that I liked. Little did I know, twenty or thirty books or so later, you don’t actually need the author to be living to write books in their name. :confused3

I will never hear the name Garrett without thinking of the loud, obnoxious little boy at the airport on our way home. :jumping1: (I know that looks like 7 happy smileys - but really its just one loud, busy Garrett :headache:) Of course, there are probably people out there who, thanks to my little darling, will never hear the name Mark without cringing, but I will always remember Garrett.

Walt Disney World is a happy, magical place :wizard:….and now 22 years after that visit (and 33 years after my first day-long visit), and nearly 2 dozen visits later it is still a happy, magical place. No matter what is added or taken away or remodeled – they leave the magicpixiedust: and the happy:love: there. As long as they do and I am able, I will keep going back!

Hope to see you all there someday! :wave:

Helloooo??? <tap, tap> is this thing on???? :mic:

Planning on being out of town this week-end but hope to get back to our June 2010 trip when I get back.

Will also have preliminary plans for our Nov 2010 trip.

So, pull up a chair, make youself at home, there's diet Pepsi in the fridge, chips in the cupboard and plenty of room for friends!

Yep, I'm here.

Those slides at River Country, that kind of drop off, look pretty cool.

I like your "three things you don't see anymore" pictures. I remember the days of watching the pilots mid-flight, as long as they didn't pull the curtain closed. And as for shorty-shorts....well, I never owned any of those. :rolleyes1

Helloooo??? <tap, tap> is this thing on???? :mic:

Planning on being out of town this week-end but hope to get back to our June 2010 trip when I get back.

Will also have preliminary plans for our Nov 2010 trip.

So, pull up a chair, make youself at home, there's diet Pepsi in the fridge, chips in the cupboard and plenty of room for friends!
Loved all the flashbacks and the photos! :banana:

I like your "three things you don't see anymore" pictures. I remember the days of watching the pilots mid-flight, as long as they didn't pull the curtain closed. And as for shorty-shorts....well, I never owned any of those. :rolleyes1
I guess speedos don't count.........:rolleyes1

Mark used to have "shortie shorts" like that too...he was a lot thinner then (he'd lost about 50 pounds before our wedding). Do you know we NEVER went to River Country in all the years we went to Disney when the kids were really little? :sad1:

sweet i loved that kitchen show it was awesome.

so was the old school show in mickeys judges tent.
:thumbsup2

That kitchen show was my favorite. The kids liked the boxes out in the waiting room with the different scents and stuff in them.

Yep, I'm here.

I did not do the drop off slides but they did look cool.

No shorty shorts, huh??? :sad2:
Loved all the flashbacks and the photos! :banana:
I guess speedos don't count.........:rolleyes1

speedos :scared1: A very very limited percentage of the population can wear a speedo.....i have yet to meet any of them:confused3

Mark used to have "shortie shorts" like that too...he was a lot thinner then (he'd lost about 50 pounds before our wedding). Do you know we NEVER went to River Country in all the years we went to Disney when the kids were really little? :sad1:
I won't say we didn't take our kids to River County.....but I don't remember taking any of them. I guess to be sure I will have to wait until I did out some other trips. Right now I'm going to say the only time I rememeber going there was on our honeymoon (unless I'm proved wrong later :rolleyes1)

Two weeks from today we leave!! :banana::banana::banana:

Sort of..... On Saturday night we are spending the night at a hotel close to the airport. Danny's going to run me over there in the afternoon then go back home because he has to record a play out at the college for the theater dept. That will give me time to get my dialysis started early so I can get unhooked and get my machine packed back up for our flight on Sunday morning.

Initial sketchy plans.

Sat. - Go to Bloomington, do dialysis, watch TV, try to sleep

Sun - Go to airport way too early for 10:26 flight.
1:45 land in Orlando and drag carry-on stuff to Magical Express
3-ish arrive at Boardwalk and get checked in. Check on dialysis supplies and scooter. Hopefully get settled in room
Go to Studios, buy new annual passes and try to catch Fantasmic

Mon - DH planning to go to AK early and spend time trying to get the perfect pictures on the safari and the walking trails. I will probably hit Epcot and try some of the Food & Wine stands.....well, the food stands anyway.
That evening we plan to go back to the studios for the Osborne Lights. I don't know how smart that is since it's the first night they will be lit and I imagine it will be a zoo - but it's also extra magic hours that night so DH seems to think that will give us a better opportunity (more time) to see the lights. Since we are at Boardwalk we can take the walking path to get "home" so the crowds won't affect us as far as transportation

Tues - Right now it's penciled in as another Epcot day. We have reservations for Biergarten that evening, so we will be there in the evening for sure.

Wed - Reservations for breakfast at Kona Cafe. Our plans are to cut through Epcot and take the monorail over to the Ticket Center - I think DH says we are walking from there. It's a 10:15 reservation so with Epcot opening at 9 we should be ok. AFter breakfast we plan to go to Magic Kingdom and maybe stick around for the Electrical Parade. Well, we will stick around - because he wants to get pictures of the castle all lit up, it's just a matter of whether we take time to watch the parade (I vote yes!)

Thurs - DH is going over to the Children's Miracle Network Golf Tourny. How long he stays will depend on the weather. Last year when we came it was cold and windy that day and he didn't stay very long. I spent my morning hopping from one long indoor attraction to another (Country Bears, Presidents, Philharmagic.....). No plans for that evening yet since we don't know when he will come back. Don't know if I will go back to Epcot or somewhere else - depends on how hectic the Food & Wine festival is, and if I have any luck finding anything I like.

Fri - up in the air. We have to pack and turn in our luggage in the morning. Our flight is at 8PM so we will probably have to meet the Magic Express around 5 - so we do have most of the day. He may go back to the golf tourny for a little bit.

Sometime we will try to go to DTD. That's the only place on my list that I will have to take a bus (hate using the scooter on a bus). We thought about doing that Friday - but if we buy anything our luggage would already be checked so we'll have to see on that.

The Eat to the Beat performers at Epcot are Jon Secada (Sun), Hanson (Mon-Tues), Rick Springfield (Wed Thurs) and Big Bad VooDoo Daddy (Fri - we'll be gone already). The only one I have a half an interest in is Rick Springfield, but I don't know if we will be over there either of those nights. It's not a priority.

Can't believe your trip is only two weeks away. Your plans sound absolutely great.

One week left!!!

:cool1:sat :cool1:sun :cool1:mon :cool1:tues :cool1:wed :cool1:thurs :cool1:fri :banana:sat-bloomington
:mickeyjumsun :goofy:mon :hmghost:tues :tigger:wed :donald:thurs

I'm not officially packed yet - but all of my clothes are folded and in a pile on the couch. Just waiting for DH to decide which suitcase he wants to take.

You are soooooooooooo magically close now, Tanya!!! I"ll bet all your bags are packed and ready to go, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter