• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

I think you'll like that topper, Ed. Our 5er had a memory foam mattress in the bedroom. It was ok, but not great. We put a 3 inch topper on it and it made it really nice.

Jim, I did debate about going with a 3" versus a 4". The smaller size would have been "good enough" and cheaper but I got the thicker size because I won't be getting any younger. And the thicker it is, the less likely I'll ever feel the flat wood panel underneath.

Ed

Last edited:
Watching the SEC Championship Game now and just booked my Lake Louisa State Park reservation for November 2022. That's the pre-stay before rolling over to the Fort for our Thanksgiving vacation.

The thing about Florida state parks is you have to pre-pay (on your CC) for all the nights on your reservation. The daily fee is $24 but FL SP are now charging an extra $6.70 per day for a "utility fee" (like utilties weren't being paid for/covered before). It's just an end-around price increase.

My desired nights are on the end of my reservation period (max 14 days) so in the coming months I can drop the early days to keep what I want and get my money (and fees) back for those dropped days. That's the way you work the FL SP reservation system.

Bama Ed

PS - booked a specific site close to the Comfort Station that I've booked two times previously. Like it a lot (obviously). LOL :teeth:

I was at a bar and grill place in a little Illinois River tourist town and the GA/AL games was just starting. By the time we left, right before half time, AL had a solid lead. They are playing a pretty good game. The GA offense really seems to have it's hands full so far.

j

Gloria/@friendofeeyore,

I finally picked up a new-to-me used boxcar for my model railroad at home that had the logo for your father's old company he worked for.

You had mentioned in the past that he worked for Railway Express Agency (REA) which was the UPS of its day. This was a used refrigerated box car (known as a "reefer") and I've always loved the color scheme. I see box cars, cabooses, even locomotives and tenders in the color scheme available on-line (all used). I want them ALL :rolleyes1 (eventually) but this is the first step.

I gave my reefer a cleaning and the colors looked pretty good to me.

I hope you think it looks good. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

Thank you! Thank you!I love seeing the sigh again. It bring back lots of memories. It looks great. When Arnold was @ A&M - during the summer he worked on the train in the area of all the items being shipped. From Houston to New Orleans & back, He even had to keep ice on the fish, shrimp shipments. Arnold & his Dad also worked with RailWay Express, delivered items to homes, business in the Houston area. His Dad retired when the company folded. My Dad was their boss. Arnold was really teased about marrying the boss's daughter. When we lived in Kansas City, I took the last Katy out to be in my BFF wedding in Odessa, Tx.

Thank you! Thank you!I love seeing the sigh again. It bring back lots of memories. It looks great. When Arnold was @ A&M - during the summer he worked on the train in the area of all the items being shipped. From Houston to New Orleans & back, He even had to keep ice on the fish, shrimp shipments. Arnold & his Dad also worked with RailWay Express, delivered items to homes, business in the Houston area. His Dad retired when the company folded. My Dad was their boss. Arnold was really teased about marrying the boss's daughter. When we lived in Kansas City, I took the last Katy out to be in my BFF wedding in Odessa, Tx.

That's a cute story about "marrying the boss's daughter". :teeth:

Gloria/@friendofeeyore,

I finally picked up a new-to-me used boxcar for my model railroad at home that had the logo for your father's old company he worked for.

You had mentioned in the past that he worked for Railway Express Agency (REA) which was the UPS of its day. This was a used refrigerated box car (known as a "reefer") and I've always loved the color scheme. I see box cars, cabooses, even locomotives and tenders in the color scheme available on-line (all used). I want them ALL :rolleyes1 (eventually) but this is the first step.

I gave my reefer a cleaning and the colors looked pretty good to me.

I hope you think it looks good. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed
Careful what you wish for ed, your basement could end up like this. And yes, mostly every box is filled with more trains. 20211209_131721.jpg20211209_131659.jpg20211209_131645.jpg20211209_131627.jpg

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!
Time to break out the totes!

But their all in boxes or on shelves. So sad! :sad:

I run a seasonal railroad (fall-winter-spring) so now is prime running season. I had purchased some new-to-me inventory (rolling stock) that I was cleaning up before putting it out. Got to RUN that railroad!

Not really interested in posting a lot of pix but @tiggerdad has seen it and I have added substantially to it since he saw it (loco's and stock).

Ed

PS - uh, just a hypothetical question. Asking for a friend, ya see. How many locomotives can one person have until one needs ... an intervention? :crazy:

All my stuff ran at one time or another ed. I had 2 tracks and multiple sidings. Plus another table. I bought stuff people didnt want, fixed, painted/ epoxied when needed to get it to run. Plus, I did have trains like 25 cars long. Sometimes you needed to add a rubber band to keep the coupler tight. I loved the simple complexity of the 1940s era ellectrical conections, and how you could make things work automatically. So, i need more stuff!

That is an illogical question with no real answer. Sort of like how many Disney trips is too many? Or the always dangerous, Does this dress make me look fat?

Locomotives or Disney trips, @Teamubr, both can be expensive.

And Spencer, I do miss the simpler, older train days. But being able to walk around today with a remote control throttle is a modern advantage.

ED

PS - and yes, more stuff!

You could put that on the side of your RV, @Teamubr.

Like I did with the Haunted Mansion medalion.

And everyone would think you were a rich guy who could be in Club 33 (and they would be right, no? :rolleyes:).
Ha ha. Maybe for 1 year. Not sure I would be a sustaining member.

We are still playing with settings. This one is a little too grainy and fragile. I like the haunted mansion one better. We do have black media.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter