The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

… and I dare say, I may NOT have ended up purchasing a camper and starting that whole adventure if we had remained there. I know I wouldn’t be at my current employer… this was never the intended path, but I don’t believe anyone actually ends up on that theoretical “intended” path.. all seems to go the way it should whether you know it or not…

I wouldn't worry about home prices. As intrest rates go down home prices go up. Just how it is, and always will be. Covid made all home prices jump. How we aspire to make things work out, or our intended paths, are seldom what happens. Hell, i dont even know what I want to do in life. But thats what makes life fun. It changes and so do you. So , be happy, and have fun while you can.

Listening to this talk of owning condos as I sit on my front porch sipping coffee and watching the squirrels in my front yard under the oaks and my deer eating from the feeder 300 yards down the field...as funny as it might sound leaving cheap cost of living and quiet of MS would be hard.

Teresa and I talked about a condo at Jekyll Island about 30 years ago that was listed at $125,000. Being fairly newly married and having recently bought our first home, we just didn't think we could make it happen. We then looked at cabin options at Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg. Kids starting high school and college just around the corner, again, just didn't think we could do it. People would tell us that we could rent it to help pay for it. I really didn't want to have to rent it to pay for it. I wanted it to be ours (family) only. During this time we started our RV adventures with my parents Coachmen Class A, a used travel trailer and finally our first new camper......a Coleman Fleetwood Utah pup. We were loving our RV journey. Several other campers since then including my most memorable one.......my homemade teardrop that my dad and I built from scratch. My dad passed away last December so as you could imagine, that camper will always be special for me and will always be a part of our family. It has also been to the Fort 4 times. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Now we have talked about our next RV option and we have both agreed that we want a class C and a Jeep to tow behind. I now realize that I don't want to be tied to one location even though we love the PF / Gburg area as well as the beach areas that we have visited. A recent trip to Panama City has me wanting to go to more beach locations. We are still wanting to visit Gulf Shores. Following @tiggerdad and @SouthAlabama5er out west trip planning has fueled that itch somewhere down the road. I will always be a Fort fan and hope when Teresa retires to do at least 1 month there with minimal park days.

I realize that the financial return on the Class C is basically 0, but the freedom to go where and when we want with a "condo on wheels" (@Stratman50th knows what I'm saying) is very appealing. A friend that I retired with 5 years ago bought a condo in Florida within a year after retiring. In less than 2 years it was up for sale. Between the mortgage and HOA fees and the need to rent it along with realizing that she wasn't getting to use near as much as she thought, it was not quite as appealing as she thought it would be.

So with that being said, Teresa and I have decided to continue with the RV life. Hopefully we will be making the transition to a class C in about 2 years. Maybe by that time, new RV prices will normalize.

Steve

I try to keep up with most of the Dissers that I "know" from days past even though I seldom post anymore. Still love the "old" Disney, but at this point DH & I have no firm plans on if/when we will return to the "new, not improved" Disney - are living on great times/memories of trips from the last 45+ years that are too many to number.

Anyhow, just had to comment to agree whole heartedly with the two previous posters, @tiggerdad and @JETS70 on their take on the relaxing part of life. I, too, could never give up, for the foreseeable future anyway, having the pleasure of sitting outside watching nature from our backyard, or planting/tending the many flowers and trees that we enjoy, also our lovely little flock of three hens, lol. Then, when we get the mood to 'hit the road', we take off in our mh and it becomes our perfect "home" wherever we may desire to roam. Our DD bought into Boardwalk when it first became available and tried to get us to also, but we couldn't see it then, and still cannot, as we enjoy going so many different places.
Agree, it's not the 'financial return', but the 'return' in so many other beneficial ways.

Anyway, really enjoy y'all's 'chatter' on this board, and wish the best of life, and camping travel to everyone. :-)

Anyway, really enjoy y'all's 'chatter' on this board, and wish the best of life, and camping travel to everyone. :-)

@North of Mouse, it's nice to know you are out there keeping tabs on us.

NoM is one of the first few DIS members I ever tried to meet at the Fort. We were both in loop 100 (my first time in that loop) in 2013 (with my dad on a HS band trip) and I had a HECK of a time catching up with her and DH because they were EVERY DAY in the parks IIRC. But I finally did.

Yes, it's different now. The Fort these days is still the Fort except for that big dirt space behind Pioneer Hall, the new TCD barn, and no Chip n Dale campfire singalong (no HDDR yet). But maybe HDDR and CnD can return soon.

The park experience is what concerns me most. We are paying more and getting MUCH less - not improved for sure.

I committed nearly two years in advance of Thanksgiving 2022 to host my family at the Fort. But in the two years, the park experience (much) and Fort experience (less) has changed as NoM says. However, I will stay committed for my family's sake. But NoM's comments have a lot of merit to me.

Nice to hear from you, Joy, and best wishes to you and DH Robert. Take care and let us know where you travel from time to time. :wave2:

Bama Ed

Well it’s a good thing we got our AP’s when we did, they’ve stopped selling them once again. They’re only selling the cheapest one that has most weekends and all holidays blocked out. Renewals are still allowed, just no new sales.

Just saw the news on the AP. Really doesn't change anything for us, we only where considering them for Melissa and I for our June 2022 trip. Still possible if we commit to another trip before June 23 (dvc AP is the goal.)

Right now that is the only one trip on the planning books for the year, and that was a request from Lauren for her 16th birthday. I just booked our DVC stay last week. There is a small chance of a long weekend for M and I in the winter on DVC points and then FW in 2023 with another family.

After 2023 I think there will be trips, the new unimproved and higher cost Disney hasn't pushed me away yet, however, their poor decision making has convinced me to spend more of my hard earned money elsewhere for a better return. It's an issue is they will never see because Disney is only worried about its stock price at this point and not guest experience under the current leadership.

Wow. I missed the AP cut back. It doesn't impact me right now as the next 2 years are already booked up for trips outside of Disney. After our January trip, it may be 18 months or more before we try another trip there.

j

Well it’s a good thing we got our AP’s when we did, they’ve stopped selling them once again. They’re only selling the cheapest one that has most weekends and all holidays blocked out. Renewals are still allowed, just no new sales.

When AP's launched, I considered buying tickets from a third-party and 'bridging' them to AP's once we arrived for our trip (which is in 8 days). The constantly changing rules made us too nervous to do so, so we ended up forking out the money for the AP's straight from Disney. I'm SOOOO glad we went that route. We would have been in rough shape if we hadn't. I fear that there are many who will not be as lucky. I've already encountered many reports of those who planned to upgrade tickets once arriving in the next couple of weeks. Not a great situation.

We had no option to upgrade over the summer, AP came out and we should have just bought them I guess even knowing we would not activate them for 9 months. I am not too worried about it, the only think the lack of AP does is we feel less compelled to try and book another trip. So we are exploring other locations now to travel to (not that it was off the list to begin with.)

Today is my last work day before the holiday weekend. I am looking forward to a long weekend even if it means traveling since I finally get to meet my baby niece Cora. Thankfully everyone in our household is on the same page and ready to come home on Saturday morning.

We are preparing for holiday decorating and festive cheer as well.

Just bought a replacement OEM keyboard for my Lenovo for $35. The good thing about them is they are very plug-and-play and not hard to access the interior.

Popped in the new keyboard this morning all nice and black and shiny. Here is a pic with the old yucky keyboard on top.

I'm admittedly NOT a very handy person but this is proof that there is a YouTube video for EVERYTHING. :surfweb:

Also finished up pressure washing the sidewalk, driveway, and back patio brick (3 days at about 2 hrs a day when it was warmest) over a 5-day span. To say it's an improvement is an understatement.

Washed on the upper right, unwashed on lower left. Big difference huh?

Celebrated finishing the pressure washing job last night with a diet coke vanilla float in my old Trader Sam's Grog Grotto souvenir Krakatoa glass.

Baking pecan and pumpkin pies tomorrow. Gonna do a straight up cheesecake as well with a bowl of fresh made cranberry sauce as the topping (and chocolate sauce for those who don't like cranberries) but tis the season, right?

Ed

I saw the keyboard and the power washer and thought you were going to clean the old keyboard with the power washer. I was going to ask how that went. :yay:

Sidewalk looks good. If I did that up here, I'd have a nice skating rink. It has been in the 20s the last few mornings.

j

I saw the keyboard and the power washer and thought you were going to clean the old keyboard with the power washer. I was going to ask how that went. :yay:

It was funny, @Teamubr. The YT videos all show taking off the underside cover of the laptop, removing two small screws that secure the keyboard, and then the keyboard slides up/down and can be lifted out and the data ribbons disconnected.

So I removed the underside cover. Check.

I removed the two small screws securing the keyboard. Check

Flipped upright and pushed on the keyboard to remove it. No go.

Pushed a little harder and dislodged some keys/buttons (see the pic). No go.

The laptop is a 2012 and had 9 full years of gunk, junk, and crud that had "glued" it to the frame. So I had to slide a mini-flat head screwdriver around the perimeter of the keyboard to "free" it so that it would pop out. Check.

Honestly I was kinda embarrassed about all the crumbs, dust, and crap on the keyboard I removed. There were SO many drinks, sandwiches, and finger food snacks consumed over that old keyboard. No wonder it looks the way it does - it could haved used a good pressure washing. It's cold here too but mid-day is when I worked when it got up into the 50s (on the sidewalk/drive that is).

But I got the keyboard loose and replaced it and life is good.

Bama Ed

PS - planning to drop Directv this week like 3rd period French (and get rid of my $150 a month bill) and sign up for YouTube TV at $65 a month and supplant that programming with a Roku (already connected and working).

PPS - and I haven't even told you yet about how I recently replaced my Aliner refrigerator ..... :badpc:

Last edited:
PPS - and I haven't even told you yet about how I recently replaced my Aliner refrigerator ..... :badpc:
Gave up on waiting for a control board?

I have a new employee that started yesterday. She saw a picture of my camper and said she camped too, but had a much smaller camper. She said; "Have you heard of an A-Liner?" I laughed and showed her a pic of yours. Hers is apparently about 15 years old and much smaller than yours. Said she pulls it all over with a Subaru.

Small world, several puns intended.

j

Baking pecan and pumpkin pies tomorrow

I'm baking pies tomorrow too. Made crust all ready. Baking 2 apple pies (one sugar free with Splenda for MIL's diabetic sister) and a pecan pie. Had considered the pumpkin pie as well, but I had also ordered a pumpkin ice cream pie from our local (awesome) farm ice cream stand. I figured we didn't need 5 pies for 5 of us... (although I think I could enjoy a full pie per person :scratchin). Will save the "real" pumpkin pie for Christmas....

DW and I picked our Christmas presents tonight. Very similar to our present to each other in 2019, but didn't get to use due to Covid.

It's a little blurry, but it's the Cardinals 10 game ticket pack. This package has opening day, two Cubs-Cards games and options on post season packages.

Merry Christmas a little early.

j

got some sad news today, DD3 has always had some serious anxiety issues, for several years, she keeps passing out, fainting and hitting her head, she is 22 and even at WDW she would say take the GS, and she had to sit. today they finally took her serious at the Dr. many test scheduled, they are thinking something with her heart, she cannot, work (vet tech) drive or be left alone. luckily she is still living at home and we are retired, she doesn't need the income, she was supposed to leave for SLC to live with her sister upcoming January, that may be on hold. Maybe some of you HC professionals can shed some hope or guidance @Teamubr and @tiggerdad she has always been kind of a "special needs" child, but I hate to classify her as that as so many others are more "in need" than her, she will never be able to live alone, but Team Bradfield is large, plenty of family to help.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter