The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
icy-dog said:
Hi my granddaughter is scheduled to join the college program this January. She has a few issues and concerns that I thought I should bring to this group for clarification. I always think it's best to ask questions of those who actually have been there/ done that etc.

1. She is going to be 21 years old on January 25. Since she won't be exactly 21 when she arrives Disney folks are putting her in a Healthy Living building ,which means "euphemistically speaking" no drinking. Can she appeal this and get into the older group housing.

2. Is the housing for the 21+ group far from the Healthy Living apartments? My GD's boyfriend is over 21 and will be in this housing, and since they don't have a car, they are flying down, they are worried they won't ever see each other. Any idea on locations you can share?

3. How do you know where you will be assigned to work? Is it the luck of the draw?

4. Are there stringent rules for behavior and decorum? In other words will there be time for fun?

5. Will she need a laptop computer for her studies there or will there be computers she can use? This is important since there is no money in the budget for her to get a new computer and her school computer is a desk top.

Thanks so much for your help,
Marylyn

Hey. Tell your granddaughter congratulations.

1) Unfortunately no. Unless you're 21 when you arrive, you can only go into wellness. After you turn 21, I believe you can switch into another apartment, but it takes a few weeks and you have to pay $50 (I think that's right).

2) Like someone else said, the wellness/non wellness apartments are scattered throughout the buildings. And again like someone else said, they'd have to request to be in the same building.

3) You know what department you're working in when you go down. You don't find out where you're working until after you get down there- 2nd day I believe.

4) Apartment complex rules are basically: don't be around alcohol if you're underage, you can't be in another complex after 1am (I think), and don't be too noisy at night. Of course for work, try not to call in too much you get points for that.

5)You can bring down a desktop- my roommate did. There are computer labs, but they aren't always available and sometimes are very slow. Also, at the theme parks (if that's where she's working) there's a learning center which had computers too.

My son is scheduled to arrive for the spring advantage program on Feb 1. Unfortunately I can't go down to move him in. he won't be taking his car because without someone to go with him, its not feasable for him to drive 1500 miles in an old car. So... not only will he probably have to fly down the night before and stay over night someplace, but I can't go with him because we have something else important going on that same day. So, my question is... how many kids go down without parents to help them move?? And how much dragging around of his luggage, etc, will he have to do that day. I'm feeling really bad that I can't help him out.

yes, there will be lots of luggage dragging, but a friend a mine went to study in Ireland by herself and handled everything just fine. i suggest that he stay at the holiday inn (sunspree?) or at the courtyard, fairfield inn, or springhill suites at the marriott village, all are right accross the street from vista way where he has to check in, and are well within walking distance. I would suggest he take the mears shuttle or a taxi to one of those hotels, walk to vista way the next day and leave his luggage at the hotel (the front desk should hold it for him) insted of having to watch it all morning at checkin.

don't worry.. he'll be fine. we'll all take good care of him.. i'll already be there, so if you contact me, i'd be glad to give him a hand or a ride if i'm not working that day. PM or IM me if you and him are interested :)

What types of furniture are provided in the bedrooms?
Do they give a little desk or something?

It's: 2 beds, 1 dresser (with 6 drawers), and 2 nightstand cubes. Then there's a big closet (??) with 2 lockers.

I'm bringing so much stuff.. probably too much. I don't travel light.

I'm bringing clothes, a desk set (still in it's box, so lets hope all the pieces are there when i get down there) cuz they don't provide one for us, towels, sheets, a wireless router for my laptop, cable splitter.. stuff like that. hopefully my roomate and i will split the cost of an area rug once we get down there.

in my head, i'm thinking "When I lived in a dorm, what did I need? What did I use? What did I have that I REALLY needed?" Stuff like that. :earsgirl:

I think I overpacked. I know I definetely brought too much clothing. But besides clothes, all I brought was my laptop, my router, and stuff I needed. You can buy a lot of stuff down in Disney, like hangers.

Yes, a desk is now provided. Vista Way recently purchased brand new furniture for all the apartments. They're also installing new carpet in selected apartments. Your apartment furniture now consists of:

Two beds per bedroom, dining room table, 4 dining chairs, one couch, one living room chair, one desk, one coffee table, and two end tables.

I brought my own computer desk any way, just because mine is this neat little laptop desk that folds up and stuff...but that's just me. =0) We also gained some furniture as an apartment when a friend left the program and couldn't take it home with them. I also brought a small fold up chair for the bedroom too. It's one of those round chairs that kinda looks like a bowl. But, I did drive, so I had quite a bit of space to bring extra things. All of my roommates flew, so they didn't bring as much, and they're still very comfortable.

Geez...can I ramble any MORE about furniture? LOL

Whats the deal with the Pin Trading. All the CMs I see have the lanyards and trade with many. Im just curious if we have to get our own like starter pack thing or what. I never was ino the Pin Trading, though I never tried it. Im just wondering if I will have to buy a few when I get down there.

~Steve

Ok, so I just logged into my CP sight and I noticed something different. It used to just say Operations-CPGM. Now it says Operations-WDWCP WDW H/H. Any idea what H/H is? I'm looking for any clue as to what I might be doing at this point,

H/H = Host/Hostess. Doesn't tell you much specific about what you're going to be doing. Pretty much everyone in an "Operations" role is a Host/Hostess

Pin trading is totally voluntary. It's a great way to strike up conversations with guests, so I really recommend it!

If your in a role that requires you to be around people a lot, they'll make it available to you. I know there are some places that cast are not allowed to wear lanyards. For example, I work in attractions and I cannot wear my lanyard when I'm indoors as it is a safety hazard. However, when I'm outside greeting, I trade like there's no tomorrow. LoL

Just let your manager know that you're interested in having a cast lanyard. They'll bring you a lanyard and 12 pins to wear. It's a lot of fun, and if you're just having a bad day and don't feel like dealing with it, it's as simple as just leaving your lanyard in your locker.

Hogbunny

Can you keep those pins forever or do you have to give them back at the end of your program?

BTW
Merchandise-CPGM thats what my role says... wonder what GM means... College Program General Motors... General Manager... General Macaroons...

you give them back at the end of day. However, always have a few pins you've bought yourself and trade for pins you like. You're not allowed to trade personal pins while working though.

Thats kind of s bummer... who knows maybe it will get me into the whole pin trading deal. I will definatlly do it while at work.

Horizons16 said:
Hogbunny

Can you keep those pins forever or do you have to give them back at the end of your program?

BTW
Merchandise-CPGM thats what my role says... wonder what GM means... College Program General Motors... General Manager... General Macaroons...

Great Man? Grand Master? Groovy Mover? Grand Marshall? Really, I could do this forever.

Horizons16 said:
Hogbunny

BTW

I think CPGM is College ProGraM. Makes sense to me. As for pins and trading, I liked to trade with myself. Got some good ones that way! :teeth:

ohhh. that makes total sense. now we all feel stupid lol. :rolleyes1

ps - it's so freakin cold here. windchill is 5*!!! it hurts to breathe. :cold:

I know!! It's absolutely freezing here too! AND it's supposed to snow again! WAAA! I HATE SNOW! :sad: :cold: I wish I was back down in Disney again. I can't wait til May!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter