ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Hopefully your mother is through the worst of it and on the mend.

You are one crazy lady! Never stopping! Flying school? I never would have guessed! Good luck and have fun!

I had a great time with you last week and I'm looking forward to another time someday soon!

Liesa I just want you to know I'm still here. I'm trying to get caught up and reading all the chatter too. I'm back on page 49.

You all have WAYYYYYY to naughty minds.

How is tequila naughty? ;)

If there was, there was no licking involved.... :rolleyes1

Fran wasn't there. So... no.

Well, the whole reason I got them was so that I wouldn't have wet feet/socks. I'll take some regular shoes to wear once in a while, but I absolutely hate wet socks and shoes. And going in July, I know it will rain every day. I just got them a couple of weeks ago, but I'll wear them and try to get them broken in well before we leave. I've got another pair of sandals and flip flops that I can take to rotate too so I think I'll be able to avoid blisters. I typically don't have blister problems with my feet anyway (knock on wood). My biggest issue is not having enough arch support which is why I decided to suck it up and spend a little more money to get the Keens instead of relying on my old $20 sandals. My ankle/heel area where I had my Achilles surgery a few years ago really starts screaming if I'm on my feet a lot without good arch support.

Well, I do think you'll enjoy them; they are by far the most comfy shoes I've ever taken to tour all day in. I would try them out for a whole day walking without socks before you try it out and get stuck with no other option halfway through a day in the parks. I like the way they can be dressed up or down as well. Short and a T, OR a sundress, not that that affects you much. Let me know how they work out. I actually am very curious to know what you think of them.

Now you're taking all the fun out of it ;) Or maybe there was. I've seen how quickly after a trip you can forget details.... :rolleyes: :duck:

Never acceptable to waste good tequila. For that matter, cheap tequila either!:rotfl:

I"m sure those particular details are ALREADY (conveniently) forgotten.

I love that you just went from the worry of your mom's health issues, to the high of your Disney trip, to the ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE of going to flight school, to.....an orthodontist appointment. What a wild few weeks you've had! Glad your mom is doing better, and good for you for continuing to challenge yourself. Looking forward to the rest of your TR and hearing about your flight school adventures.

Hi There!

Yeah, that was a bit of a frenetic update! LOL! Kinda covered a lot of territory in a pretty short space. Thing are settling into a nicer, even pace, and I'm getting ramped up to tackle some more hours at work... FINALLY! Starting Tuesday. Meantime, need too get another "real" update up.

You are definitely an adventurous gal! Glad you mom is doing better, and that your trip was fantastic, and that you are already plotting your next conquest!

Thanks, Donna! Things to do! Places to be....!!! Looking forward to starting the TR for DLR very soon.... but photo editing first!

So glad to hear your Mom is doing better!

Thanks, Kelly! Still some healing to do... but there is progress.

What an awesome story about your Grandfather, that is very special!

It was fun having him take me under his wing- no pun intended. I've got some wild and crazy stories about him... he also owned the ORIGINAL Batmobile for a short time.

Very cool that you're going to take flight lessons!!!

Just found out today that it may not start until June. Total bummer, but that's for the less expensive school.

My full on Colorado Spring means 8 inches of snow and still falling...:sad2:

Uuuuuuuughh. I don't like the sound of that at all!

Glad you are back safe and had a nice trip

Thanks!! Excited to get the next TR started! So. Many. Stories!

Thank goodness you mom is doing better and they finally figured out what was wrong.

That's what I was thinking also, too bad it took till the 4th time in the hospital to give her some.

I KNOW!!! Unbelievable that it did take that long. I mean... red, hot, swollen... aren't those the basics of 1) a Clot or 2) an infection? Rule out the first with a quick CT, then move on to treating #2. Sheesh!

Awesome you are going to learn how to fly!!

Super pumped for this to start! I see LOADS of studying in my future!

Wow. What an ordeal! I'm thankful that she finally seems to have turned the corner.

Me too, Mark. What a nightmare. And well... while the knee is looking much better, there are other aspects to her healing that are a bit ongoing. Still praying about some of those.

Wow!!!! That would be amazing!

:D Another adventure in the World of Steppe!

I can understand that, but if you can pass nursing school, you can do this! I remember having a conversation with a pilot who was off-duty and flying on the same plane as me once. Someone asked if he gets nervous about flying and he said no--to him, it felt exactly like driving a car. I'm excited for you!

That is actually very encouraging! I'll know fairly quickly I think if it's going to be something I can handle and do. I see a lot of studying in my future- something I can do.

Great news that your mom is finally on the mend. Wow learning to fly. Way to go what a way to spend the summer up in the clouds free as a bird with not a care in the world.I am sure the class work will fly by pardon the pun.Before you know it you will be flying yourself and your family to Florida.Good that you had a good trip to Anahim.

Awww, thanks, Stuart! I do love the thought of a new challenge and some fun soaring around. And yes, the thought of flying to Florida is pretty darn exciting... but WAY down the road. First I gotta come up with the cash to fund the airtime.

Be on the lookout for a TR Link. ;)

So sorry to hear about your mom, but glad to hear that her knee seems to be getting better.

Thanks. Still a ways to go, but things are looking up.

Learning to fly! Okay, totes envious right now.
Just do me a favour and don't be one of those pilots.

Trust me.... I know.

Can you elaborate? What makes a crappy pilot (other than one who can't keep the plane in the sky and away from other aircraft?)

Have you ever thought of pursuing a license? Maybe it's time...?

Oh cellulitis? Oh my! I got that at Aquatica. Omg so painful. It spread up my leg like fire! Your poor Mom.

OH DEAR! So you know just how horrible it is! Did you get IV antibiotics as well?

Learn to fly? How cool! Your Dad would be so proud. That is exciting!

I am super excited for sure!! Yes, I think he will be!

You sure don't waste any time, starting on a new adventure! Wow!

Life is WAY too short of fart around. You either do stuff or don't is my motto. So, yep, gonna try my hand at it. Sadly, the next ground school doesn't start until June. :( I'd hoped for sooner, but this one is half the price of the other and twice as close to my house.

Glad to hear they figured out how to help your mom, and that she seems to be on the mend. :goodvibes

Thanks, Irene! Still some healing to go, but she's up and around for sure and back to PT.

Hopefully your mother is through the worst of it and on the mend.

OH man, meeeeeee toooo!!

You are one crazy lady! Never stopping! Flying school? I never would have guessed! Good luck and have fun!

Crazy? Yeah, probably. I was going to mention it on my trip to you guys, but was waiting on a call from Craig, my flight instructor friend with the deets. Sadly, no class til June. :( Which may nix it for a while. Vacation is already planned to see my folks again.

I had a great time with you last week and I'm looking forward to another time someday soon!

I really, REALLY did too! I love hanging out with you and Fran! And yes, I do think there will be migrations down that way here and there. Still have Borrego to do, I'd love to take in the Ramona Pageant again (that was LITERALLY in my backyard growing up.), and have a new place I MUST TRY! The Blind Rabbit. Ever been? Need to do this! So yes, SoCal is on my docket for another trip soon.

Liesa I just want you to know I'm still here. I'm trying to get caught up and reading all the chatter too. I'm back on page 49.

Oh, I"m so happy you're still here, Vanessa! I know... it's a lot to wade through. The chatter is mostly inane silliness, but pretty fun and/or funny at times. Trying to get thorugh this, but don't wanna rush it Still lots of material to go. :)

I followed your adventures on FB as much as one can but hope to hear more detail here!!

So, I think things have finally, FINALLY turned the corner to being better once and for all. Phew!

You must be so relieved. Sucks to see your loved ones in pain.

It’s time to learn how to fly!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG this is SO exciting!!! I used to want to be a pilot as a kid but there was that whole "must have 20-20 vision" issue to contend with. I hope you will share more about this once you start learning about it all.

Hi ! I got back on Sunday, too. I know you have seen on FB. I meant to post pics of the heaven thst is Hawaii, but I couldn't figure out how to utilize my tab and phone in that way. We are having a time with jet lag with a 5 hr time difference, but it was sooo worth it. What an amazing place! I'm looking forward to seeing the fun you had at DLR with the peeps.

I'm glad to hear your mom made it through the clot, and also the infection. Sounds like she is finally on the mend.

Loved your Main Street montage, BTW.

Flying lessons! So excited for you, I think. Please stay safe

Last edited:
I followed your adventures on FB as much as one can but hope to hear more detail here!!

I deliberately tried to keep my FB photos to a minimum so I would have some original material for the TR. :) And boy do I have stories to tell!

You must be so relieved. Sucks to see your loved ones in pain.

I am, most definitely! Still some lingering issues, but she'll pull through.

OMG this is SO exciting!!! I used to want to be a pilot as a kid but there was that whole "must have 20-20 vision" issue to contend with. I hope you will share more about this once you start learning about it all.

Yeah, I guess good eyesight might be a bit important. ;) I don't think you have to for a private pilot's license. I will certainly share as it progresses. :)

Hi ! I got back on Sunday, too. I know you have seen on FB. I meant to post pics of the heaven thst is Hawaii, but I couldn't figure out how to utilize my tab and phone in that way. We are having a time with jet lag with a 5 hr time difference, but it was sooo worth it. What an amazing place! I'm looking forward to seeing the fun you had at DLR with the peeps.

I know you had a GREAT time! So nice! The Luau looked amazing! I REALLY want to get over to Aulani for a few nights and "do" Hawaii.... maybe sometime in the future. When that happens, I'll definitely be calling you for advice!

TR coming up soon...

I'm glad to hear your mom made it through the clot, and also the infection. Sounds like she is finally on the mend.

I sure hope so! It's been very full of ups and downs.

Loved your Main Street montage, BTW.

Thanks! I spent a VERY long time on Main Street this trip too, so there'll another montage soon, but with a DLR spin. ;)

Flying lessons! So excited for you, I think. Please stay safe

I will do my best to stay airborne and safe, Tammie.

No I got tablet antibiotics but I had to have two rounds!

Ah, Ok. So glad they worked for you and you didn't have to do in-patient IV therapy!

Just read the last couple of updates as my super-busy time is about to turn the corner...to my super-super-busy time. Main Street looked great, glad your mom's knee is feeling better, and wow, I'm impressed that you've got your sights set on flight school! Go get 'em, Maverick! (Or are you Goose?)

N is for: No Place Like Home
(**Fair warning- a few of the following photos may be repeats as I'm too lazy to go back and look at what's already been shared.)

“Welcome Home!”

Can anyone think of any better or more comforting words than those? College students love to hear them; someone coming home from an extended time away loves to hear them; and millions of Disney guests every year love to hear them. I was no exception.

Welcome%20Home.jpg

While not my first choice of a Disney resort stay, I felt a decided skip in my step as I waltzed in through the front slidy doors of the Art of Animation lobby. Due to its awe-inspiring foyer, my jaw dropped low enough to lick the floor. I didn’t though because that’s gross. I skipped the LSD for the day as well. Who needs it with that explosion of color?

Steppe-ing up to the counter, I was cheerfully given that ever-so-sweet sounding, “Welcome Home, Queen Steppe!” <you know it Chickie. Let’s hope my bags make it to my room ok.> Little did I know my mocking was about to become my worst nightmare. But that's a story that's already been told.

This is not another re-hashing of that afternoon of luggage drama or kid finding. Instead, let me share with you my general thoughts on the Art of Animation including a few personal opinions on the pros and cons. Generally speaking, I really enjoyed this resort. Given the choice, I’d stay at a moderate (or deluxe when feeling particularly rich) but while I may be a Queen, my bank account reflects another reality. I’m incensed every other Friday. So, I’m stuck with the rest of common humanity and am quite content I need a value where we dwell and lay our heads. I mean, it’s a bed, some pillows, Mickey shampoo and unlimited hot water.

AoA%202.jpg

My first, and by FAR largest complaint (Really, I’m not a complainer. I’ve lived in a mud house… I’m a pretty grateful person.) was the distance from our section- the Little Mermaid- to the Animation Hall and therefore the buses. Ever break down on the freeway and the nearest exit with gas was 3 miles up thataway? That walk sucked didn’t it? Imagine that. But your feet are on fire and your calves are cramped up as hard as last year’s fruit cake. Multiply it by 100 and you have the walk from Animation Hall to Building 7. In about 4 months, you’ll be "welcomed home".

BUT, it was quiet, the rooms were super cute, and…. Yeah, never mind. That’s all I could come up with. Live and learn.

IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9700.jpg

IMG_9698.jpg

Looking over to the Nemo Section FROM the Mermaid Section:

IMG_9696.jpg

General impressions of the resort? The Food Court ROCKED! The variety was astounding if that’s where you wanted or needed to eat, and the gift shop wasn’t half bad. <Is reminded that Zach still is asking for an AoA coffee mug- should order that for Christmas> I did like that this place DID have some pretty cool resort-specific merchandise.

Anara%20Shopping.jpg

IMG_9680.jpg

The pool was definitely VERY nice as well. Trust me, I know. I actually got in it. Wanna see it?

IMG_2670.jpg

Haha, just kidding, that's a Hidden Mickey I found NEAR the pool.

And here's one more that took me FORRREEEEVER to find in our room:

IMG_1136.jpg

OH! You really DO wanna see the pool? Ok. Here ya go (I tried my very best Vanna for you. Honest.)

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%206.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

The pool bar is topnotch as well… wanna see it too? (I don't know why I bother asking, the answer is always yes, or you wouldn't be reading this lousy trip report.)

IMG_2654.jpg

In case you're wondering, yes. Yes, there is a story behind that drink.

As per usual, I had to explain my quest of getting through the alphabet during my stay. On this particular day I happened to be on Letter 'F'. The bartender was super amused and thought for a little bit. All of a sudden he shouted (literally), "I've got it! Today you get a... Fuzzy Navel!" I was thrilled. I actually enjoy those quite a lot. (Schnapps, OJ, and peaches. Doesn't get much better than that!) He garnishes it up quite nicely, and off I went with Letter F in the bag and a nice refreshing bevvie to sip poolside. Ahhhhh..... Disney vacationing at its absolute finest!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Let’s take a cruise through the lobby, shall we? Maybe I err too far on the far side of “Goober”, but I spent a fair bit of time in there. I had read about a little hidden gem in the form of signed original cels by some of the animators/voices/etc… and wanted to find all 4. It wasn’t too hard and I brought these home for you:

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2666%20-%20Copy.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

But besides the cool chandelier of sketches, there is the fabulous mural that is cleverly arranged to go from pencil to color with detail as you move from left to right, depicting the animation process an animation team goes through to get a finished product. I LOVED the vibrant colors and seeing the various stages, including the rough concept art.

AoA%20Lobby.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

While it’s obvious from my photos there were at least 2 walk-abouts- one in the day, one at night, I’m putting them all in one post. You’re welcome. I think hands down, my favorite area of this resort was the Cars area. WOW! The detail was stunning and just perfectly executed. I’m REALLY happy that it worked out that I explored this section by night as the lighting added a ton of nice effect. Enjoy the bunch I took here. (Bonus? It was only 1 mile from Animation Hall, not 4.)

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

I spent very little time in the Lion King section (and NONE in the Nemo) so only took a couple of photos as I cruised through it on the way to the Food Court each morning:

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_9959.jpg

An early morning shot on the way to get coffee and the bus; sometimes it pays too burn the candle at both ends!

IMG_2422.jpg

With that, I’ll close with a shot across the Lagoon to POP, and call it a night ;)

IMG_1132.jpg

Remember: Smile big, Live well, and Adventure on…..!!!

Last edited:
Just read the last couple of updates as my super-busy time is about to turn the corner...to my super-super-busy time. Main Street looked great, glad your mom's knee is feeling better, and wow, I'm impressed that you've got your sights set on flight school! Go get 'em, Maverick! (Or are you Goose?)

Maverick, definitely the Mav. ;)

And thanks, Glenn. I do hope we'll still see you while you work this busy time coming up!

Love that your F drink was a Fuzzy Navel. That was one of the first mixed drinks I ever tried, and was my mixed drink of choice for a while. (We don't need to discuss my age at that time!) I haven't had one in many, many years, however. Now I tend towards Margaritas, sangria, or vodka tonics.

AoA has always seemed pretty cool in photos. Except for the huge walk, of course.

First of all, welcome back from your trip. Art of Animation is incredible. I agree on the food court, I really enjoyed it when I stayed. I did walk up to the Mermaid section - once - one afternoon to have a look. It did seem a bit far and I probably would not have been impressed if I have to do it a few times a day. Luckily for me, I was in a Nemo Suite (since my parents came with us and split the cost). We really lucked out on the location too. Ground floor overlooking the pool. It was a tad noisy in the day time, but we were 7 rooms from the food court & buses, so I really couldn't complain.

My first, and by FAR largest complaint (Really, I’m not a complainer. I’ve lived in a mud house… I’m a pretty grateful person.) was the distance from our section- the Little Mermaid- to the Animation Hall and therefore the buses.
::yes:: That's a haul... and those rooms are never discounted. Honestly, I'd almost think that the better option would be staying at Pop and walking across to check out AoA if you want a regular room. It's cheaper too.

The pool bar is topnotch as well… wanna see it too? (I don't know why I bother asking, the answer is always yes, or you wouldn't be reading this lousy trip report.)
NO! I don't want to see it.

ok, maybe I do.

As per usual, I had to explain my quest of getting through the alphabet during my stay. On this particular day I happened to be on Letter 'F'. The bartender was super amused and thought for a little bit. All of a sudden he shouted (literally), "I've got it! Today you get a... Fuzzy Navel!" I was thrilled. I actually enjoy those quite a lot. (Schnapps, OJ, and peaches. Doesn't get much better than that!) He garnishes it up quite nicely, and off I went with Letter F in the bag and a nice refreshing bevvie to sip poolside. Ahhhhh..... Disney vacationing at its absolute finest!
Awesome! And he looks very proud of his creation too.

I think hands down, my favorite area of this resort was the Cars area.
::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

(Bonus? It was only 1 mile from Animation Hall, not 4.)
But it doesn't even feel that long, because it is a mile along Route 66 so it just makes you mentally in a better state because you can't help but enjoy the walk.

With that, I’ll close with a shot across the Lagoon to POP, and call it a night ;)
How are you taking shots across the lagoon? I didn't see a pirate ship or a cannon? :rolleyes1

Great detail about the resort. I am currently in the process of debating a possible trip and where I might stay if it materializes...so it's good to hear the little things...and about the long walk! I love the animation wall though with the progressive use of colour, that looks really cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter