ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

As usual I'm trying to catch up around here! Love your dinner pics of you with your graduation cap! Sorry about the too small portion sizes...but the food did look really good, as did the company :)

Thanks, Kathy! It was a super fun evening!

I'd still go back, but not until I start seeing better reviews. :)

Have a safe trip! All the best for your mother, I hope she will heal now that they found the cause!
Thanks, I will sure try!

Yes, I think she's on the mend and on medication that will prevent further clots, so things are looking up. :) Hopefully when she naps I can get caught back up around here; so behind on threads!

So sorry to hear that you've mom's having medical troubles. Hopefully, since they caught it, they can get her on the right meds to prevent any further complications.
I am pleased to hear, however, that you will still be joining us in Cali next week. But of course we'd get it if you couldn't.
Thoughts and prayers for your Mom's continuing recovery.

This morning I get a text from my sister telling me mom spent the night,

yes, you got it,

the ED.

The knee had a huge clot which she threw causing a pulmonary embolism. Neat. Those things kill people.

:scared1::scared1:

I can certainly understand the desire to rush out there to see her! I hope she's ok and recovers well.

So, here's the shortest Pre-Trip you'll EVER see from Queen Steppe: (Yes, I know. Instead of 300 pages long, it's 1 post. Sue me. Or thank me. Your choice.)

Hey, mine are always one post!:rotfl:

After seeing them, I'll then head straight to Anaheim and check into my hotel. I'll be in the parks having a really awesome DISMeet with Alison (@franandaj ) and @pkondz Wednesday and Thursday. Should be a pretty fabulous time. ;) Thursday morning also includes a breakfast Meet with @queenbetsey.

:woohoo:party::cool1::cheer2::banana:

There....

my PTR in it's entirety.

Carry on.

All's well that ends well! Safe travels!

So sorry to hear that you've mom's having medical troubles. Hopefully, since they caught it, they can get her on the right meds to prevent any further complications.
I am pleased to hear, however, that you will still be joining us in Cali next week. But of course we'd get it if you couldn't.
Thoughts and prayers for your Mom's continuing recovery.

Thanks Ponzi! She looks pretty good except for still in a LOT of pain. Her meds are cutting that, but she definitely still needs to be on them. She really can't stand up for long. And I do think the thinner will work well for her. Knee is still super hot and red though, so...

As of right now, I won't be missing any DISMeets. :D

Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers!

:scared1::scared1:

I can certainly understand the desire to rush out there to see her! I hope she's ok and recovers well.

Thanks, Mark! She is out of the woods for now, I think. Just, she and Dad need a lot of help, so I'm here to be that for them this week.

Hey, mine are always one post!:rotfl:
Yeah, I knew I could find support from you!

I like how you party!

All's well that ends well! Safe travels!

After only an hour or so of "sleep" in the sleeziest of dumps near the airport, I did manage to make it here. I've already got some very funny stories to share. Ahhh, the life and travels of Steppe.

Thanks Ponzi! She looks pretty good except for still in a LOT of pain. Her meds are cutting that, but she definitely still needs to be on them. She really can't stand up for long. And I do think the thinner will work well for her. Knee is still super hot and red though, so...

Oh, man. Still... I hope she starts improving.

As of right now, I won't be missing any DISMeets. :D

yay!

Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers!

You're welcome.

So sorry to hear about all the trouble your mom has been having. It's a shame when you go to get something done (replace bad knee) to make you feel better and then something like this happens.
My father had surgery once and got a staph infection! Thank goodness they live near the hospital and he could be an out patient. He would go there every so many hours for IV treatments.

I'm glad that you are able to make it to Kentucky, your parents and sister will be very grateful that you can come help out. I hope she recovers soon!

Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful time in California! Sound like a lot of fun. Yes I'm a little jealous of the DISmeet happening without me. I wish I had gotten to the Ditch in October to have a margarita with you guys.

Sending you pixiedust:, lots of :sunny:, a couple of :drinking1and a little :dance3:

Sooo.... how's that packing coming? Feeling ready to leave with Kay?
Slowly gathering what I need... but... dang! I know I'm not going to be ready.

Can't even imagine how you managed to get gone in one day!

So sorry to hear about all the trouble your mom has been having. It's a shame when you go to get something done (replace bad knee) to make you feel better and then something like this happens.
My father had surgery once and got a staph infection! Thank goodness they live near the hospital and he could be an out patient. He would go there every so many hours for IV treatments.

Thanks, so much, Shelly! It is hard when that happens! I heard last week of a patient at a center like mine (surgical) who had an easy-peasy little something done, then fell breaking a hip getting in the car. UGH!

Out patient services are GREAT! Especially for IV therapies and rehab. Keeps pts at home where they aren't exposed to ickies and can be far more comfortable.

I'm glad that you are able to make it to Kentucky, your parents and sister will be very grateful that you can come help out. I hope she recovers soon!

I'm glad I can be here too! I'm doing the cooking and some cleaning, and keeping Dad company while he runs errands. She's getting around in short stints pretty well, and is trying to wean off the walker. She did have some shortness of breath today, but is saying she thinks it was anxiety, sooooo....... (watching that!)

Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful time in California! Sound like a lot of fun. Yes I'm a little jealous of the DISmeet happening without me. I wish I had gotten to the Ditch in October to have a margarita with you guys.

And we are sad you can't make it as well! Gosh darn it! I'm already collecting stories to tell in a mini-TR, but the real fun will start on Tuesday when I fly to Cali.

The Ditch was quite fun, but would have been even that much better with you and Weeb! Let's put it on a Bucket List and try to make it happen- either coast works for me!

Slowly gathering what I need... but... dang! I know I'm not going to be ready.

Can't even imagine how you managed to get gone in one day!

You'll be as ready as you are once you drive out of the driveway. After that, no turning back. Good news? You'll be in civilization and can easily pick up forgotten items.

..... let's just say... not well. But adequately.

You'll be as ready as you are once you drive out of the driveway. After that, no turning back. Good news? You'll be in civilization and can easily pick up forgotten items.

..... let's just say... not well. But adequately.
That thought has crossed my mind.
I cannot for the life of me find moleskin here. But plan on picking some up in Fargo or Phoenix.

Hope your mom is ok! I am going through something similar with my dad, and it's so hard when you don't live close by. I'm sure your mom (and your sister!) will be so glad you're there. Hope she recovers quickly! (And enjoy your trip to Disneyland!)

Yes, I'm tired. Mom didn't do so well this evening by letting her pain get away from her. When your RN asks you to rate your pain, you are allowed to say 10/10 if you are sobbing and clinching your teeth. Pretty sure I was seeing a 10... Her knee is still quite red, hot, angry and swollen; it's no wonder it's so painful. Sadly, her primary MD is out of town until Monday, so we're on standby watching for another clot.

Add to that, coming from the Left Coast, sleep’s not easy to find. So, you get the last chapter of my Official Graduation Celebration Evening. It’s late night writing, soooo…. May not be the best quality chapter you’ll ever get. Bear with me and my (likely) many syntax, word choice and/or spelling errors. Hopefully , the stories will make up for it.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

L is for Let’s Celebrate!- pt. 4

We sopped up the last drop of sauce on our plates, shrugged our shoulders, and with half empty bellies made our exit. Tanya had other plans with her son, and my kids were D.O.N.E. so headed back to the resort for a swim and bed. But the night was still young, even if I wasn’t. Still had a bit of party left in me yet, so the remaining 3 of us went to the place that the young, young at heart, and just plain old can all have a good time. I categorically refuse to reveal which category I fall into.

Yehaa Bob, IRL, Bob Jackson, puts on a phenomenal, high energy show that’s full of both trusted and well-known classics like the Hokey Pokey and YMCA, and some original works. He pours his heart and soul into his piano and comedic show and not only encourages, but at times insists on, audience participation. IT’S FUN!!

But first, Pat, Marv and myself needed to GET to the show… Hmmm…. minor detail. Luckily, the free market economy and out-of-the-box thinking has allowed this amazing new thing called Uber to develop. So that’s what we did. We Ubered (cool new verb, too, no?) it from The Boardwalk to POR paying WAY more than a free Disney bus, but far less than a taxi. I still think FF should have ponied up for that cost, but oh well. The good news is that Ubering (see how many forms of this new verb there are?!) makes ones evaluate their means of paying for the ride.

The bad news is that while searching for that method of payment, I realized that I didn’t get my Disney Visa Reward Card back from the server at FF!

:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

Yes, my friends, it still had approximately $150 on it. I mean, that's at least a t-shirt at a crapshop, right?

And yes, while I did not soil myself, it was close. Very close.

(Does anyone see a pattern here? Probably best not to ask me to hold onto something for you.)

So, we were already late, but since I clearly ate paint chips as a kid, I made myself later (to my own party) by having to stand in line at the Concierge and have them try to call the restaurant to inquire about the money I was pretty sure I’d just thrown down the toilet.

But even their own can’t make the FF staff do their job. You know, like answer the phone (or be on time with seating reserved guests). They tried for a good 10 minutes for me, then gave me the number and suggested I try in the morning. Awesome. K, I’m just gonna go into the River Roost now and not worry about $150.

And I did.

I truly did.

I walked in and immediately got into the groove. How could you not, when there is a grown man standing on is piano bench pounding on a rocking piano (yes, it literally rocks like a chair) and playing a trumpet in between verses? I dare you to go to his show and not bust a gut. Or at least smile a little bit. If you can, you need to lighten up. And order a drink.

Speaking of which, we did!

Marv and Pat went with Rumchata somethings, and I had a very unimaginative, but potent, Rum and Coke.

Now, we weren’t the only DISers at this show. When I walked in Carol and Rosie (@englishrose47 ) were also there with their little entourage of folks they travel with every year. I gave both of them a big hug and while it was the first time I’d met Carol, it was the 2nd time I’d met Rosie. In 2010, a big group of us met in Washington DC including Glenn and some others who aren’t on the DIS much, or at all, anymore. Anyway, their group didn’t stay long as the adults they travel with are developmentally disabled and were tiring out pretty quickly. They’d already had a long day in the parks, so called it quits after about half an hour. (Plus, we were late, remember )

Bob’s songs are quite catchy and easy to learn and sing along with, so we all did. And we did all the hand motions too, because it’s just what you do at a Yehaa Bob show. And guess what? You can dance too. So Marv did. (I can neither confirm nor deny I did too, but since there’s no photographic evidence, I’ll plead the 5th.)

Marv (@GoofyFan1515 ), I love ya, Buddy, but you were cracking me up pretty good that night. Pat (@Poolrat ) was fairly amused as well. See?

IMG_1923.jpg

I have no idea what song this was, but all the guys who joined in were obviously having a great time. Disney does that, doesn’t it? Brings out the kid in everyone. Especially when they serve booze at shows like this. Er, I mean not that they let the kids drink. Kids, do not drink! Look what happens!

IMG_1930.jpg

One of the defining features of Bob’s shows is that he asks for, and then REMEMBERS, many of the guest’s names that are in the audience. And then sings about them, or mentions them in some way throughout the show. Its uncanny and hilarious all at the same time. I can thank my two companions for an abundance of heckling this evening. It was a fair trade for getting photos like this:

IMG_1928.jpg

These 2 jokers (and I do mean that in the most loving and endearing way possible) made sure Bob knew it was my:

BIRTHDAY?!?!?!

Thank you for having Bob call me up to have the house sing Happy Birthday to me. Sure, why not? I mean for the entire trip it was my UN-birthday. Pat and Marv even had pins to mark the occasion, but I’ll let them tell that part of the story. I did tell Bob after the song, that it was actually a graduation from Nursing School I was celebrating and he was genuinely thrilled for me. I also reminded him that I’d met him years before, and he actually REMEMBERED that! I kid you not, I told him I’d lived in Qrapistan and the last time I was at his show it was on my way home from there. He leaned over and told me privately to “carry on the good work and he was praying for me”. It is no secret that he is a praying man who plays for his church’s worship team on Sundays. (He has a webpage that tells his story.)

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

Anyway, it was the end of his show and he always signs pictures and poses for the same then. I definitely wanted a photo with our happy trio to make sure I remembered our time together. (I’m already anticipating your comments, Peanut Gallery Folks… who already know who you are.) Here is the best one that ended up on my camera. Undeniably, we were having a great time.

IMG_1934.jpg

But all good things must come to an end, and it was time to say good bye, farewell, auf….

This time I was on my own, but was too cheap to cough up more Uberdough. I, therefore, relied on Disney buses to get me “home”. Pretty sure I went to the TTC and transferred there. Safely to the room, I collapsed and fell right to sleep. It was late, but I didn’t mind. It had been a great day full of family, friends, good food, fun- a perfect way to have celebrated a strong finish to a life goal.

Ok, ok, I won't leave you hanging...

Yes, I called the FF back the next day and indeed they had it and it was safe and sound. Pat and Marv stopped by the restaurant before we met up at the park the next day and gave it to me then. Thank Goodness for really awesome friends!!

Last edited:
Hope your mom is ok! I am going through something similar with my dad, and it's so hard when you don't live close by. I'm sure your mom (and your sister!) will be so glad you're there. Hope she recovers quickly! (And enjoy your trip to Disneyland!)

It is hard! Ya just wanna be there and can't as much as you'd like. :) She seems to be ok this morning so we'll see.

I sure hope your dad improves too! Will you travel to visit?

I'll fly out Tuesday for SoCal. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter