Taking My 2 Year Old to MK....with a preggers wife!!!

OhDannyBoy

DISdad #850
Ok here goes.

My wife and I wanted to take our now 19 month to MK this December. She'll be about 2 at the time.

And now my wife is pregnant!!

I'm trying to game plan as what to do as best as I can. I intend on getting the 2 day 1 park per day tickets and going to MK both days.

I know I'm way out from setting fast passes and what not, but does anyone have suggestions on how to get the most out of this without it becoming a nightmare?

I want to set my Fastpasses in advance but am at a loss for which ones I should aim for. Everything I read says I should hit Peter Pan at rope drop seeing as we are not going on any of the mountains or the 7dwarves mine thing. But where to go from there?

Go look at a list of rides and see which one you want and can do. Anything without a height restriction should be OK for your wife. Honestly, the 2yo won't care or remember the trip. You will be at the mercy of what the kid can tolerate.

I'm more worried about what the wife will tolerate. My little trooper is used to spending all day out and about as we take her to the zoo and aquarium quite a bit.

I'm probably over thinking all of this. The super planner in me is like that. I'm just trying not to plan anything between 11AM and 2 PM as that's when taking a nap / afternoon meltdowns are going to happen.

We are all early morning people. I'll be at the park at opening, watch the opening show, hit Peter Pan, maybe set up a few fast passes for Pooh and Dumbo. Then one for a meet and greet. The rest of the day we'll just wander around and watch street shows until the little one is ready to go. There's a billion things to do at MK that don't really require planning.

If all goes well, we'll do it again the next day with different rides. If not, maybe we'll get there later in the day.

I don't want to stress out my 6 month pregnant wife either.

I'm more worried about what the wife will tolerate. My little trooper is used to spending all day out and about as we take her to the zoo and aquarium quite a bit.

I'm probably over thinking all of this. The super planner in me is like that. I'm just trying not to plan anything between 11AM and 2 PM as that's when taking a nap / afternoon meltdowns are going to happen.

We are all early morning people. I'll be at the park at opening, watch the opening show, hit Peter Pan, maybe set up a few fast passes for Pooh and Dumbo. Then one for a meet and greet. The rest of the day we'll just wander around and watch street shows until the little one is ready to go. There's a billion things to do at MK that don't really require planning.

If all goes well, we'll do it again the next day with different rides. If not, maybe we'll get there later in the day.

I don't want to stress out my 6 month pregnant wife either.

How did she do with her first pregnancy? Obviously, pregnancies can be different even in the same woman, but it’s a good place to start.

6 months pregnant should be a decent time to go. I went at 3, almost 4 months and was nauseous most of the time. I still had fun and did a ton of stuff (we packed a lot into a short, 2.5 day trip).

It may be helpful to her if she can take some time to relax/shop while you take your child and do some stuff for awhile.

How did she do with her first pregnancy? Obviously, pregnancies can be different even in the same woman, but it’s a good place to start.

She did great her first pregnancy. She is an RN at a hospital and spends a LOT of time on her feet.
I forgot to mention it's also her (wife's) birthday the second day of the trip.

It may be helpful to her if she can take some time to relax/shop while you take your child and do some stuff for awhile.

That's a great idea!!

Ok here goes.

My wife and I wanted to take our now 19 month to MK this December. She'll be about 2 at the time.

And now my wife is pregnant!!

I'm trying to game plan as what to do as best as I can. I intend on getting the 2 day 1 park per day tickets and going to MK both days.

I know I'm way out from setting fast passes and what not, but does anyone have suggestions on how to get the most out of this without it becoming a nightmare?

I want to set my Fastpasses in advance but am at a loss for which ones I should aim for. Everything I read says I should hit Peter Pan at rope drop seeing as we are not going on any of the mountains or the 7dwarves mine thing. But where to go from there?
First of all, realize that with all of that walking, both your wife and child will need an afternoon nap, so if you can afford it, I suggest that you stay onsite so that it’s easy to get in the park at rope drop before the crowds and leave around lunchtime. You can return in the evening or enjoy your resort pool in the late afternoon/early evening.

You won’t need to FP “It’s A Small World,” but it will be a nice ride for your family.

I was 4 mos pregnant and we had a 2 year old when we went and it was a great time. And we went in the summer to boot. We just made sure to build in plenty of opportunities for rest and cooling down. IMO it’s easier with a younger child because they don’t know what they are missing. I had been to Disney many times before and knew we’d be back so everyone needs to just be okay to accept that this will not be a see all, do all trip. Have a great time! Oh and word of advice! Don’t ask your wife if she needs Help or would like you to do xyz. Just do it!

We did Disneyland when I was 5ish months pregnant and had a 2 year old and nearly-1 year old. It was totally fine. Honestly if she's used to being moderately active and is in good shape I doubt she'll have any troubles. Having little ones meant we weren't going on any "thrill" rides anyway really, so I didn't feel as if I was missing out. The trip for me was very much about seeing my kids have fun (ha, well the 2 year old! The little guy was mostly just along for the ride) so mission accomplished. I'm sure youre overthinking and she'll have a blast :)

Just to throw an idea out there, we did one day at MK and being pregnant, one day was enough. Even with a midday break. With a 2 year old, they may enjoy AK or the Disney Jr. shows at DHS a lot better the second day (and the shows afford a decent amount of sitting). Just food for thought.

In my family going with toddlers and being pregnant is not that big of a deal.
My mom was about 4 months pregnant with me and took my sister who was a week shy of being 2 years old.
My sister was pregnant 2 times that she went.
I'd start with Peter Pan and do the rest of Fantasyland in the first couple of hours and then maybe make FP+ for Pirates, Jungle Cruise and meeting Mickey.
You have 2 days so pick other mild attractions or character meet n greets for the second day was well.

I'm actually going to be 6 months pregnant and taking my 2 year old to Disney in December, too! I also have a 5 year old (and a husband who isn't all that concerned that I'll be 6 mos pregnant lol)

We're staying at the Contemporary so I can walk back with my 2 y/o if he wants to nap (or if I want to nap.) I'm also planning on training on the treadmill to keep my endurance up. I run right now, or at least, I used to run before morning sickness took over. I will probably train walking, not running, but my goal will be to hit 15k-20k steps comfortably when we leave for Disney. Walking is such great exercise during pregnancy anyway. We are going to rent a double stroller - yes, a seat for my 5 year old- if I'm walking 20k steps at 6 months pregnant I'm not going to do it carrying anyone!

I did Disneyland for my baby moon at about 5.5 months pregnant. I was just starting to have back and ankle pain too (which turned out to be a full blown injury, so I guess I’m a real trooper for the mouse lol). I enjoyed the trip because we moved at a slower pace and had lower expectations. Defiantly stay on site with a nice pool, I needed a rest every afternoon. We did must do rides in early morning taking advantage of the fact everyone rushes to do thrill rides at rope drop. The afternoon and evening we did shows as well as things with short lines. I couldn’t eat a lot so we skipped all sit down meals, instead we looked for nicer QS meals and I even ordered kids meals at times. As for the toddler just bring a stroller and try to stick to their schedule. I think because we went in late Sept we hit the pre-school/ cheap off peak season time. There were tons of pregnant women there and many toddlers. It will be fine as long as you plan, in fact you might find the slow pace makes it one of your most enjoyable trips! I have an 18m old and have a serious Disney itch but he is at a tantrum stage so it’s a no go. My friend went for her daughters second birthday and she had a blast! She was so tired she often napped on her way back to the hoteL in the afternoon and had less energy for crazy antics.

I went when I was 5 months pregnant. My husband and I took our four girls, ages 16 months-6 years, and I was ok (and it was hot). We did 5 park days- no park hoppers. Looking back, I think I was completely nuts. And, we got many strange looks pushing two double strollers through the parks with me hugely pregnant. Ha! But, I stayed hydrated and did many rides in the A/C. We took mid-afternoon breaks, and aimed for decent nights' sleep (most nights anyway). I thought I would miss all the thrill rides, but I was fine skipping them with my two little girls while DH took the older girls on Splash and Mine Train.

But, like someone mentioned above-- most importantly, every pregnancy is different. I am a dance teacher and was used to being on my feet and moving for hours at a time while pregnant. And, I only experienced sickness during the first trimester and always felt great during trimester 2. So, my trip to Disney that year was really no different from the others we have gone on. We hit the ground running each day. I possibly saw more Disney bathrooms on that trip than any other though. :-) Good luck to you! I am sure she will be ok and it will be a very memorable trip for you before new baby arrives. As a mom of multiple kids, I can tell you that any precious moments you can put into the memory bank when it was just your first born are special, and fleeting. Then you can make new memories as your family grows.

In your situation I would rope drop Peter Pan and then fast pass either Pirates, Haunted mansion, buzz, Winnie the Pooh, beauty and the beast, or jungle cruise. Or any character meet and greets. You won't need one for dumbo or small world. Have fun!

It is very sweet that you are concerned about your wife. We did a beach/Disney trip when ODS was 2 and a half an I was pregnant. It was a lovely trip. I did have some aches and pains, but we took full advantage of the play areas so I could sit while DH chased ODS around. Other posters have given wonderful advice. Have a fun trip.

I was 13weeks pregnant when I took my 2 year old. I did fp for Peter Pan, enchanted tales with belle, Winnie the Pooh, buzz lightyear, jungle cruise and Rapunzel meet and greet (he’s a big fan!). We went to pirates then haunted mansion at rope drop one day and he got his haircut at the barber shop the other day. Have a blast!!

I just posted a thread similar to this about looking at my plan for myself and 5/6 mo. pregnant wife. Many of the similar questions and concerns. I figure that missing all the "thrill" rides will be a bummer for both of us, but it'll help slow us down from our usual go-go-go pace. Plus we love doing character meets anyway. This time we have a book for them to sign. Also, It'll be my birthday while we're there.

Here's my thread for those of you who may not have seen it:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/pregnant-and-planning.3701668/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!