Swine Flu in WDW!!

We caught the Norwalk virus while at WDW in December too. It was horrid.

I see many posters referring to Purell and other antibacterials but is it known whether or not this will do any good?

purell will kill any virus that may be on your hands

Sorry for the ridiculous amounts of quoting, but I'd like to point out that extra hand washing and sanitizer, while great ideas as a general rule, do NOT prevent the spread of a respitory virus like the flu. This is an airborn virus, not one that lurks on handrails for extended periods of time.
yes it is airborne but it can live on surfaces so the idea is to wash and use sanitizer in the event you touch a virus laden surface and then touch your own face/nose etc.

I am glad someone made this point!!!! I keep hearing this on the news "use alcohol based wipes, etc, etc". Seems like bad info at best..and giving people a false sense of security.

:)

alcohol based products like purell are NOT antibacterial agents. they only kill what is on the surface , they will kill virus and bacteria on your hands, that is all, they are not antibacterial agents. they do not cause bacterial super bugs.
there are wipes out there that are antibacterial and those are different

Re shutting down the borders with Mexico...

I doubt that we can effectively prevent an airborn virus from entering our country by simply preventing people from crossing the border. The border is not some wall through which airborn pathogens cannot pass... it's an imaginary line drawn in the sand. We have enough cities close to the border that the pathogen would make it there eventually (assuming that it can survive without a host long enough. I don't know much about this particular virus). Ceasing human traffic between our countries would slow the spread down, but it won't eliminate it.

Re shutting down the borders with Mexico...

I doubt that we can effectively prevent an airborn virus from entering our country by simply preventing people from crossing the border. The border is not some wall through which airborn pathogens cannot pass... it's an imaginary line drawn in the sand. We have enough cities close to the border that the pathogen would make it there eventually (assuming that it can survive without a host long enough. I don't know much about this particular virus). Ceasing human traffic between our countries would slow the spread down, but it won't eliminate it.

Not to mention all the people who have already returned from Mexico who have been exposed to it...and all the people who come across the border illegally every day. They're not going to stop just because we ask them to.

We also get a good amount of our food (especially produce) from Mexico, so stopping travel would stop those shipments as well.

Breaking news from ABCnews: Many Hundreds of Schoolchildren Sick, Possibly With Swine Flu: NYC Health Commissioner

The story isn't up yet.

So what do your propse leaving the borders open so people can keeping passing this flu back and forth.

To answer your thought YES GOD IS very good:)

It wouldn't do any good to "close" the border. Unless there were men holding hands all the way across the border, there will still be people coming in. Just not legally.

What is wrong with shutting down the movement of people illegally entering the country when there is a pandemic virus which is known to originate in Mexico? Have you heard that all public eateries and public events have been shut down in Mexico City? If this was just like regular influenza, they wouldn't be closing restaurants and theaters and stadiums.

Shutting down the legal entrances won't keep those wanting to come in illegal anyway out. They typically avoid those entrances.

I am glad someone made this point!!!! I keep hearing this on the news "use alcohol based wipes, etc, etc". Seems like bad info at best..and giving people a false sense of security.

:)

Yep. You're more likely to get it from someone sneezing or coughing around you than from touching a handrail.

Im going, and not cancelling my plans. Ill def keep an eye out, and use a lot of purell, but I refuse to live my life in fear of every little thing that comes down the pike. If i get it, I get it. Im not cancelling teh trip ive been waiting for, for over a year now

This is how I feel. We're not scheduled to go until September so hopefully this whole thing will blow over by then but even if my trip were next week I don't think I'd cancel. We drive down so we don't have to worry about flying. As for the parks I'd just carry around and use a lot of hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. Think of all the grody railings, seat belts and ride handles etc that you touch even when there's no sign of a serious illness going around.

I'd go. Just steer clear of anyone coughing sneezing etc and sanitize everything you can including yourself.

According to one of the news stations yesterday, Yes it can and will stay on a surface for several days.

I have no idea if that info is correct I'm just repeating what the news station said. They have been known to be wrong.

Agreed. FIL is a doctor and he says that alcohol based stuff absolutely will help.

We just paid our trip off yesterday so to hear this is a little disheartening. However, since our trip isn't until the end of July I am hoping that Disney will come up with an effective way to sanitize rides, hotels, and buildings to decrease people's chances of getting sick. I know that hand sanitizer is not 100% effective but I know it helps.
I recently went on a mini vacation for spring break and got sick from staying in the hotel. I had a stomach virus for 3 days when I came home. It taught me to bring my own pillow!;)

All this talk about closing borders and illegal aliens bringing in the flu!! Ya'll are acting like every person in Mexico is infected. The fact is that the main concentration is in Mexico city.

My sister lives on the coast in Mexico. There has not been one single reported case in her state. She is taking normal flu precautions and is not worried.

yes it is airborne but it can live on surfaces so the idea is to wash and use sanitizer in the event you touch a virus laden surface and then touch your own face/nose etc.

alcohol based products like purell are NOT antibacterial agents. they only kill what is on the surface , they will kill virus and bacteria on your hands, that is all, they are not antibacterial agents. they do not cause bacterial super bugs.
there are wipes out there that are antibacterial and those are different

thank you! I just did some reading and now I understand the difference between the alcohol products and the wipes and between the anti bacterial vs how the alcohol works!!!!!:)

Sorry for the ridiculous amounts of quoting, but I'd like to point out that extra hand washing and sanitizer, while great ideas as a general rule, do NOT prevent the spread of a respitory virus like the flu. This is an airborn virus, not one that lurks on handrails for extended periods of time.

They said on the news this morning that this is known to live 72 hours on somehing like a handrail. :confused3 They were talking solid surfaces, money etc.

They were also saying best defense is handwashing. And they recommended wipes and gels.

What is recommended? I have Purell, Clorox Wipes, and Lysol for the room. Is there anything better I should be carrying with me to WDW that I can use during the day?

Thank you,

Debbie

Please note, this case of the flu has NOT been confirmed!

WFTV is notorious at grabbing at any story that is negative in regards to Disney.....even though it is an ABC affiliate.

Here are two breaking local stories..

WESH Local Channel 2 (NBC)

http://www.wesh.com/health/19311086/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Florida Hospital denied Tuesday afternoon that there is a confirmed case of the swine flu in Central Florida, despite a local television station's report.

The hospital said that a tourist with the signs of influenza came to a clinic in south Orange County, and a sample was sent to federal authorities to see if it is swine flu. That test takes about 48 hours, and the culture was sent on Monday evening.

The news conference was held in response to a media report that a tourist from Mexico who was at the Disney attractions had swine flu. The report, first posted on WFTV.com, quoted an e-mail sent by Florida Hospital's chief medical officer.

State Surgeon General Ana Viamonte also confirmed that a sample is being tested from an Orlando tourist, but she also said there is no confirmation of swine flu.

And one from the original station WFTV

http://www.wftv.com/news/19311020/detail.html

Just read Orlando Mike's post.

Glad to see there isn't a case in FL, yet.

Stay safe everyone!

purell will kill any virus that may be on your hands

Sadly, that's not true. For example, the Purell that's sold in the US is not effective on norovirus. There is a Purell (PURELL VF-481) that's sold in the UK that is effective on norovirus--I wish they'd approve it for sale in the US for cryin' out loud.

So what do your propse leaving the borders open so people can keeping passing this flu back and forth.

To answer your thought YES GOD IS very good:)

I propose NOT freaking out over a virus that is proving to be manageable (all 28 of those HS kids in NY are recuperating well), is not widespread, and in all likelihood is going to turn out to be like that scary scary Bird Flu was. All of the people that died in Mexico City sought medical attention long after they contracted the illness. It's not the same with the cases here.

Do you have any idea the amount of commerce that goes on between the US, Mexico and Canada each day? Closing borders for this thing is a ridiculous suggestion, especially given the current economic conditions.

The concern will be that he was exposed to CM's, who could then pass it on to other guests.

Not to mention the folks near him in line, those that touched the handrails, the people who cleaned his room or handled the money he gave them.

But, I wouldn't alter my plans if I had any. A person is seemingly as likely to pick it up anywhere. It isn't just going to hit WDW.

Sadly, that's not true. For example, the Purell that's sold in the US is not effective on norovirus. There is a Purell (PURELL VF-481) that's sold in the UK that is effective on norovirus--I wish they'd approve it for sale in the US for cryin' out loud.

yeah, the info I found said "many, but not all"

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter