Swine Flu in WDW!!

Exactly. Secondary infection was a big part of the problem in 1918, but that was before antibiotics. I don't think it is "head in the sand" denial to assume that will make a difference this time around, as will other medical advances.

I don't think anyone is saying that this doesn't merit concern, only that it doesn't warrant the amount of airtime and hysteria that it is getting at this point. Yes, it is alarming to see how quickly a virus can spread in our mobile society, but so far this isn't a serious, life threatening illness and there's no reason to rush past common sense precaution into closed borders, quarantine, and panic.

:thumbsup2
Everything you said :teacher:

I didn't see where anyone answered the question asked about why is THIS flu so much more lethal than any other flu.. so I'll post what I read about this in today's paper.

It's not that it's lethal now. What makes it classified NOW as a pandemic flu, is that it is a "novel" flu, meaning its make up is something that is apparently part swine flu, part bird flu and part human flu. Adding to that, is the fact that a "new flu" with its completely unique virus means that NONE of us has any immunity to it. So, whereas some people have some immunity to avian flu or garden variety flus, this one has ALL of us beat.

What I've gathered on my own reading is that it's not the first wave of flu that is the bad one - - it's the second and third variation that seems to turn lethal. IIRC, the Spanish flu was like that too.

AND, for the most part, the mortality rates indicate it's the 20-40 year old healthy adults who are most likely to die for some odd reason. Again, like the 1918 Spanish flu. The healthiest were most likely to die. Why? Because their healthy immune systems launched the best fight against the virus, and it was that overstimulated response of their immune system that flooded their lungs with fluid and they drowned in it waging war on the virus. Grisly and very scary.

I am taking it seriously because the WHO is making it clear what defines a pandemic, that this IS a pandemic flu, and that our government (which wants DESPERATELY to not believe this could happen to us while beginning to show the faintest glimmer of recovery....) is also reacting as though we need to be very prepared. I firmly believe if they didn't think it was bad, they would try to downplay it and save the economy if at all possible. But they're not, so I'm worried b/c of what that says about the nature of this flu.

In 1918 we didn't have the medical knowledge that we have now - nor did we have the drugs that we have now - so that doesn't seem like a "logical" comparison to me..

Nor did we have the means to travel so far so quickly.

That's not entirely true. While the general population wasn't as mobile in 1918, that pandemic coincided with WWI and the mass movement and interaction of troops and support staff all over the world.

A comfirmed case of Swine flu in WDW. A tourist from Mexico was diagnosed in Orlando has been diagnosed with the swine flu. Will this affect your travel plans if you are going soon?

http://www.wftv.com/news/19311020/detail.html

Channel 9 has since retracted the story as being false. Although there is a tourist here from Mexico that was not feeling well, it has NOT been determined that the tourist has Swine flu. Tests were run at Florida hospital and the results will take 48 hours.

Eyewitness News has a reputation for sensationalizing most of the stories they broadcast and are pretty much a joke here in Central Florida. Orlando as well as Orange county is on alert for the Swine flu. Even the schools have been sending out mass messages, the stores have all been selling out of hand sanitizers and flu medicines, etc.

All I keep thinking is, THIS IS THE FLU! It's not the freakin' bubonic plague!
For the vast majority of us, if we get it, we'll feel like hell for a week and then recover completely and go on about our normal lives. Yes, I know the elderly and those with comprimised immune systems are more at risk of serious complications but that is true with all strains of the flu and most other viruses.
I'm just not getting what the frenzy is all about. I'll put it in the same category with Y2K hysteria...:rolleyes:

Eyewitness News has a reputation for sensationalizing most of the stories they broadcast and are pretty much a joke here in Central Florida.

Especially stories about Disney, which is odd, since they are an ABC affiliate!

One year they decided not to air the Disney Christmas parade. I called and complained. The woman on the other end of the phone actually said "Who in Orlando would want to watch that anyway?"
:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter