Swine Flu in WDW!!

All this talk about closing borders and illegal aliens bringing in the flu!! Ya'll are acting like every person in Mexico is infected. The fact is that the main concentration is in Mexico city.

My sister lives on the coast in Mexico. There has not been one single reported case in her state. She is taking normal flu precautions and is not worried.

No. Not everyone in Mexico is infected. In fact compared to the overall population, no where even close to half has this virus. But, can you honestly say that not one single person who wants to come here illegally will be sick?

Although, I still don't think it's worth our while to close down the borders.

I think this thing will get bigger quicker if the gov't doesn't act quickly to shut down traffic into the country from Mexico. hat also means shutting down the borders.

The important thing to remember is that this is a repiratory disorder. That means COUGHING. On people, in lines, at restaurants, in bathrooms, in theaters. How many THOUSANDS of people came into contact with this guy at a place like WDW?

Then all of those tourists who were exposed will go back to their homes all over the country (and the world). :scared1::scared1:

One person.. Does this really warrant this kind of hysteria? I'm sure if hundreds and hundreds of cases starting cropping up in Orlando the appropriate action would be taken.. WDW - along with our economy in general - is already taking a beating.. Let's not beat things down further by creating unwarranted hysteria..

Hysteria... man, this has gotten really out of control. :surfweb:

Totally.. :sad2:

I won't feed into the hysteria surrounding this any more than I have about other diseases that were supposed to devastate populations in the recent past. I'm still waiting for the bird flu pandemic we were supposed to experience a couple of years ago.

Routine precautions - just like you would have used prior to this media blitz - and there's no reason not to enjoy your vacation.. :thumbsup2

You have got to be kidding me. Yes, we should leave the borders open. Again in the US this flu has the same symptoms and responds to the same medicine as the regular flu. So do you propose we shut down all the states that have cases of the virus?

What about all the people crossing the border legally? Mexico City is being very careful in this situation, but closing the border would have MAJOR economic reprecussions that are not warranted by a mild flu virus!!

Can you imagine having to tell kids (and their parents) coming home from spring break that they couldn't re-enter their own country? Telling honeymooners they can't come home?? Stopping business men/women from traveling in and out of the country.. Instead of hysteria over swine flu, we'd have mass rioting in the streets!! :eek:

All this talk about closing borders and illegal aliens bringing in the flu!! Ya'll are acting like every person in Mexico is infected. The fact is that the main concentration is in Mexico city.

My sister lives on the coast in Mexico. There has not been one single reported case in her state. She is taking normal flu precautions and is not worried.

Nice to hear about how someone who actually lives in Mexico is reacting to this - while people here are going nuts! :confused3

Do you have any idea the amount of commerce that goes on between the US, Mexico and Canada each day? Closing borders for this thing is a ridiculous suggestion, especially given the current economic conditions.

Agreed.. The last thing we need to do is tank this economy further over something that has NOT even come close to being widesperead and/or fatal..:sad2:
-----------------

I wish people would stop creating all of this hysteria and blowing everything totally out of proportion.. Just the stress alone will kill you LONG before swine flu does!!!!!!! :sad2:

No. Not everyone in Mexico is infected. In fact compared to the overall population, no where even close to half has this virus. But, can you honestly say that not one single person who wants to come here illegally will be sick?

Although, I still don't think it's worth our while to close down the borders.

What? Nowhere even close to 55,000,000 has the virus?
That's encouraging.

ford family

OK, I've been following this for several days now and have a few things to say.

It seems to me that people are sticking their heads in the sand pretending that it isn't at all possible that this could turn into something very serious.

I think closing the borders is a good idea, when the threat of a pandemic is looming, drastic measures ARE necessary. You have to cut this thing of at every possible turn. Mexico City is where the deadly form of the virus is-do we want that to get out to the rest of the country and word?

So far, the cases in the states haven't been deadly. It's still new, but lots can happen in a very short amount of time. Viruses can turn deadly, as happened in the 1918 pandemic. This "Oh it won't happen here" attitude is what is going to create a pandemic-people not taking basic precautions.

I am not at all in panic mode, but I am on high alert and am watching things very closely. If in a week or two things have gotten much worse, instead of better, I will go beyond basic precautions. I'm not waiting until this thing is knocking on my door to take precautions. It's too late at that point.

We need to learn from the past, and the 1918 pandemic seems eerily similar to what has started here. Let's hope this one doesn't follow the same course. For me, the fact that the highest concentration is in New York, that scares me even though I'm on the East coast of NY. It's not very far away.

What? Nowhere even close to 55,000,000 has the virus?
That's encouraging.

ford family

Do you people have any idea how very fast these things can multiply and spread? Today, it's only 64 people. Let's talk again next week and see how many there are.

It seems to me that people are sticking their heads in the sand pretending that it isn't at all possible that this could turn into something very serious.

I think closing the borders is a good idea, when the threat of a pandemic is looming, drastic measures ARE necessary. You have to cut this thing of at every possible turn. Mexico City is where the deadly form of the virus is-do we want that to get out to the rest of the country and word?

So far, the cases in the states haven't been deadly. It's still new, but lots can happen in a very short amount of time. Viruses can turn deadly, as happened in the 1918 pandemic. This "Oh it won't happen here" attitude is what is going to create a pandemic-people not taking basic precautions.

I am not at all in panic mode, but I am on high alert and am watching things very closely. If in a week or two things have gotten much worse, instead of better, I will go beyond basic precautions. I'm not waiting until this thing is knocking on my door to take precautions. It's too late at that point.

We need to learn from the past, and the 1918 pandemic seems eerily similar to what has started here. Let's hope this one doesn't follow the same course. For me, the fact that the highest concentration is in New York, that scares me even though I'm on the East coast of NY. It's not very far away.

ok...questions..
(asking out of ignorance, not sarcasm)
What is it that makes THIS flu deadly? Is it only in these areas because of below par medical care? I'm here thinking 'it's just the flu'... the flu spreads, why is this one a worse strain? I'm obviously not one of the ones wearing a mask or running to the store (unless I'm out of chocolate).
But, with 2 small ones, I'd like to be a bit more informed...especially since one is sick now :(

Do you people have any idea how very fast these things can multiply and spread? Today, it's only 64 people. Let's talk again next week and see how many there are.

Us people know that the population of Mexico is over 110,000,000 so claiming "nowhere even close to half" has the virus is a ridiculous exaggeration that amounts to scaremongering.

ford family

ok...questions..
(asking out of ignorance, not sarcasm)
What is it that makes THIS flu deadly? Is it only in these areas because of below par medical care? I'm here thinking 'it's just the flu'... the flu spreads, why is this one a worse strain? I'm obviously not one of the ones wearing a mask or running to the store (unless I'm out of chocolate).
But, with 2 small ones, I'd like to be a bit more informed...especially since one is sick now :(

I don't know why this flu is more deadly (at least in MC). I do know it is spreading rapidly, and even though in the US it is still not deadly, it has the potential to mutate into something deadly, just like the pandemic of 1918 did. Just yesterday, no one in the US needed to be hospitalized, today, they are saying there are a "number of hospitalizations". They are even checking into a couple deaths to see if it was the swine flu. I certainly wouldn't panic, but be very watchful at this point.

I work in a doctor's office and we have been told if any of us (employees) have a fever of over 100* and respitory symptoms we are NOT to come to work. Period. This came from the hospital we are affiliated with. They aren't fooling around.

But if I had no symptoms and Disney plans- I'd still go. Mexico, not so much.

I don't know why this flu is more deadly (at least in MC). I do know it is spreading rapidly, and even though in the US it is still not deadly, it has the potential to mutate into something deadly, just like the pandemic of 1918 did. Just yesterday, no one in the US needed to be hospitalized, today, they are saying there are a "number of hospitalizations". They are even checking into a couple deaths to see if it was the swine flu. I certainly wouldn't panic, but be very watchful at this point.

first, even the experts aren't sure that it isn't deadly. The numbers are way too low in the US to make that assumption. Tonight they just reported I think 10 hospitalizations in the US with severe flu. It is too soon and the numbers are too low to know yet.

second, as it spreads it can mutate in to a form that is more virulent. It can also mutate into a form or join with an existing form (that is resistant to Tamiflu) and become resistant. Or both.

or it could attnuate and go away. We just don't know.

--------------------

Another New Yorker here.. I don't think people here are "sticking their heads in the sand".. I think they are handling the present situation in a rational manner - as opposed to flat out hysteria.. If you could tell me how being panic stricken, paranoid, and hysterical is more productive than remaining calm, taking basic precautions, staying informed, and continuing to live a normal life is, I would love to hear it.. At best it's counterproductive and at worst, it's causing hysteria and panic where it need not be..

I haven't read a single post that has stated, "Oh - it won't happen here.." I may have missed it, but I've been following this thread pretty closely the past two days.. It is here - the swine flu, that is.. However, it's still too early to know exactly how many cases there are going to be - if most of the cases are going to be "mild" (as many have already been reported) - and if the fatalities will be any higher than the fatalities that occur from the "regular" flu year after year..

In 1918 we didn't have the medical knowledge that we have now - nor did we have the drugs that we have now - so that doesn't seem like a "logical" comparison to me..

I'm curious (genuinely) what your "much worse" case scenario is - and what precautions you will take that are beyond "basic"..

No one is ignoring this situation.. No one is claiming that the swine flu isn't here.. Some people are just choosing to remain calm, stay informed, and not give themselves a heart attack by stressing out over the "what if's".. No one can think rationally when they are in a state of constant, overwhelming worry.. I don't think having a "level head" at this time is a "bad" thing..

When you come right down to it, there are only a handful of precautions you can take - no matter which way this thing goes - so as long as you "have" a plan, you don't have to spend countless days and nights fretting about it.. Make your plan - and then go on about living your daily lives.. :goodvibes

Just read Orlando Mike's post.

Glad to see there isn't a case in FL, yet.

Stay safe everyone!

They said on the 6:00 news that they will know in about 48 hours if this person does have this flu or not. They said tomorrow will be the earliest everyone would know.

Im sorry if this has allready been posted.

The person that is sick had been asked if they had been to Mexico or been around someone thats been in Mexico and their answer was just yes.

Makes me wonder what will be next.
Real scary.

I'm going May 9th. I'd like to know where he stayed at.

I am not changing my plans. The average number of deaths from the flu every year is estimated at between 30,000 and 40,000. Think about that! People are getting too hysterical about it. Closing the borders based on what the numbers are at now? Yikes. You guys scare me more than the flu does! :laughing: I also lived in Toronto when they had the SARS outbreak and purrell was what was recommeded.

eta: Sorry I meant to add recommended after hand washing with soap and water or when hand washing was not available

I'm going May 9th. I'd like to know where he stayed at.

Yeah, that'd be nice to know....I'll be keeping an eye on what goes on down there before our trip, but, really, this could happen anywhere....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter