Swine Flu in WDW!!

Good God.:sad2:

What is wrong with shutting down the movement of people illegally entering the country when there is a pandemic virus which is known to originate in Mexico? Have you heard that all public eateries and public events have been shut down in Mexico City? If this was just like regular influenza, they wouldn't be closing restaurants and theaters and stadiums.

We don't have a trip planned, but if we did, we'd still be going. I won't feed into the hysteria surrounding this any more than I have about other diseases that were supposed to devastate populations in the recent past. I'm still waiting for the bird flu pandemic we were supposed to experience a couple of years ago.

Do anti-bacterial agents normally have any effect on viruses?

If there were confirmed cases in WDW and I had plans to go with my family I would hold off. I would not up the risk of anyone in my household getting it for the sake of my ds. His asthma gets bad enough when he has a common cold, I would not want him to get the flu.

Anti-bacterial agents kill bacteria, not viruses. You best protection against viruses is frequent handwashing and to avoid contact with those who are infected.

So what do your propse leaving the borders open so people can keeping passing this flu back and forth.

To answer your thought YES GOD IS very good:)

What is wrong with shutting down the movement of people illegally entering the country when there is a pandemic virus which is known to originate in Mexico? Have you heard that all public eateries and public events have been shut down in Mexico City? If this was just like regular influenza, they wouldn't be closing restaurants and theaters and stadiums.

You have got to be kidding me. Yes, we should leave the borders open. Again in the US this flu has the same symptoms and responds to the same medicine as the regular flu. So do you propose we shut down all the states that have cases of the virus?

What about all the people crossing the border legally? Mexico City is being very careful in this situation, but closing the border would have MAJOR economic reprecussions that are not warranted by a mild flu virus!!

O.M.G. :sad2: There is ONE case of swine flu out of the thousands of persons who go to WDW each day. I don't think I can work up a sweat about this.

We caught the Norwalk virus while at WDW in December too. It was horrid.

I see many posters referring to Purell and other antibacterials but is it known whether or not this will do any good?

Do anti-bacterial agents normally have any effect on viruses?

If there were confirmed cases in WDW and I had plans to go with my family I would hold off. I would not up the risk of anyone in my household getting it for the sake of my ds. His asthma gets bad enough when he has a common cold, I would not want him to get the flu.

For anyone who is going soon, the best line of defense is to wash your hands frequently and don't touch the handrails if you don't have to. Also, wash your face too during the day. Keep hand sanitizer in your bag.

We don't go until Sept, but I make my kids do this anyway because I don't want them to get sick while we are there. It's worked so far. (knock on wood)

Anti-bacterial agents kill bacteria, not viruses. You best protection against viruses is frequent handwashing and to avoid contact with those who are infected.

Sorry for the ridiculous amounts of quoting, but I'd like to point out that extra hand washing and sanitizer, while great ideas as a general rule, do NOT prevent the spread of a respitory virus like the flu. This is an airborn virus, not one that lurks on handrails for extended periods of time.

I refuse to buy into this mass hysteria we have going on right now. The regular flu kills tons of people each year and that doesnt stop people from traveling or going on vacation. If this flu resonds well to medication, why should I feel any different about it?

This whole thing has gotten out of control fast. My sister told me today she would rather the media overreact than not underreact and I said they shouldnt do either one! Overreacting isnt going to help anyone.

If you get the swine flu (current strain) then you will not get it again. However, you will still be able to catch a different strain. There was an outbreak of swine flu in the 70's but those people who got it then would still be able to get this current strain because it is not the same one.

If it mutates rapidly, it will not take 30+ years for the new strain, no?

Look at this 1918 Spanish Flu Timeline HERE:

We are scheduled to go in June. We will not back out.

However, several of us were to go to Cancun in May. The travel agent is getting us moved somewhere else. She said the airlines are changing tickets to Mexico without fees because of the risk.

If it mutates rapidly, it will not take 30+ years for the new strain, no?

Look at this 1918 Spanish Flu Timeline HERE:

If it mutates doesn't it then become a different strain?
I have no idea about any of this stuff, I was just basing what I said on what I know about viruses. Once introduced the body will develop a natural immunity. I guess its safe to assume if that virus does mutates in any way then the body will not recognize it.

We are scheduled to go in June. We will not back out.

However, several of us were to go to Cancun in May. The travel agent is getting us moved somewhere else. She said the airlines are changing tickets to Mexico without fees because of the risk.

this seems like the most sensible response to the outbreak that I've seen so far.:thumbsup2

Sorry for the ridiculous amounts of quoting, but I'd like to point out that extra hand washing and sanitizer, while great ideas as a general rule, do NOT prevent the spread of a respitory virus like the flu. This is an airborn virus, not one that lurks on handrails for extended periods of time.
According to one of the news stations yesterday, Yes it can and will stay on a surface for several days.

I have no idea if that info is correct I'm just repeating what the news station said. They have been known to be wrong.

I am glad someone made this point!!!! I keep hearing this on the news "use alcohol based wipes, etc, etc". Seems like bad info at best..and giving people a false sense of security.

:)

I'm gonna take a wait and see approach. I have a work trip coming up in July to DL and one to WDW in September.

Anna

I am glad someone made this point!!!! I keep hearing this on the news "use alcohol based wipes, etc, etc". Seems like bad info at best..and giving people a false sense of security.

:)

I wish someone would let my kid's school know this. Every year on the supply list is hand sanitizer and it states to help keep the spread of cold and flu down. I'm sure they mean all illnesses but it bothers me they specifically use the words cold and flu. I would expect the school to know the difference between a virus and a bacteria :teacher:

I think that the reasoning of using the wipes at least, is to remove any contaminated droplets much like handwashing, not necessarily to use them them to kill the virus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter