Sunshine Flyer Experiences

I just had the pleasure of using Sunshine Flyer. Arrived at MCO around 11:30. Retrieved my Luggage and proceeded to Terminal B, Level 1. The Bus was right there, so didn't have to wait at all. Bus Driver wasn't dressed as a Conductor, but was professional. Only about 5 people including me were on the bus, and my resort Pop Century was the first stop. On the ride back on April 15th, bus arrived at 11:30 for a 3:00 PM Flight. Again, driver was professional. I would highly recommend, and would use this service on my next Disney trip...

My family will be using Sunshine Flyer for the first time on our May trip. We're a party of 8 (6 adults, 2 children) and like the ease of not having to deal with ride sharing or looking up things like that. We were debating between Sunshine Flyer or Mears but because of the theming, decided to go with Sunshine Flyer, due to the children probably liking that more. Hopefully it all works out well!

We're looking into several options for the transportation - and I wonder:
- If you tip the driver when you're on the Sunshine Flyer? If yes, how much is customary?
- How precious do you have to be with it? What happens if your flight is delayed?

Thank you!

- If you tip the driver when you're on the Sunshine Flyer? If yes, how much is customary?
- How precious do you have to be with it? What happens if your flight is delayed?

Thank you!
We would always tip magical express drivers. It’s not obligatory, but it’s the nice thing to do. If someone handles our luggae we tip 1-2 dollars a bag. Sometimes we were the only ones that tipped, other times we saw at least one other group do so.

Thank you!
Basically, anyone who touches your luggage you should tip, customary is $1 to $2 a bag.

We always tipped for luggage on DME, and we tipped the SF driver who handled our luggage as well. I appreciate not having to haul my own luggage in or out of the bowels of the bus! :-)

We used Sunshine Flyer today from MCO to WDW. This was our experience.

When I made the reservation, I forgot we were doing a split stay so our R/T reservation was wrong. I emailed them and asked if they could cancel it so I could rebook as two one ways. They asked me for our departing hotel, and they made the update--reservation showed correct arrival and departure resorts.

We flew JetBlue but packed carryon bags to prevent having to go to Baggage Claim A and then up and over to ground transportation in B. We checked in at the outdoor portable stand and were told our resort would be called when ready to board. Not going to lie--I was looking forward to riding the themed bus. However, they put us on a shuttle with four other people; two who were going to the same resort. Having few people meant fewer stops, and we were at our resort pretty quickly.

I did notice that in the overhead there was a child's booster seat (not car seat), and each seat has a seatbelt--in case you end up on the shuttle vs bus.

used Sunshine Flyer 2 weeks ago to/from MCO. Very good service. once we found the pick up location (had not been to Orlando in 5.5 years), we got right on the bus, one other family going to POP, left right away.

return, picked up 3 hours before our flight (bus was right on time), probably 20-25 people on the bus.
There were some people waiting where the bus picked up and asked if they could get on, driver said need to book in advance, they did not seem very happy with whatever service they had booked.
employees were very nice. tipped driver $5 each trip.

as we got off the bus on our departure there was a TA there asking if we would recommend the service to her clients -Yes!

We saw a lot of Sushine buses moving around on Disney property. I'm glad to see them succeeding. I'll probably try them at least one way on our next trip. Used Mears this time.

My family will be using Sunshine Flyer for the first time on our May trip. We're a party of 8 (6 adults, 2 children) and like the ease of not having to deal with ride sharing or looking up things like that. We were debating between Sunshine Flyer or Mears but because of the theming, decided to go with Sunshine Flyer, due to the children probably liking that more. Hopefully it all works out well!
Please let us know how it all works out for you ?????

My Sunshine Flyer experience: I booked as soon as they began taking reservations without issue. Prior to my trip I added 1 additional day (May 1) and an email to them was handled fast and my dates changed. I read & re-read the instructions sent to me the day I landed and having used Mears 4 weeks ago on the opposite side - I knew exactly where to go. I'm not sure it would have been so easy to find if I hadn't recently been there. I head to the area indicated (it was a small group of bus stops) and was redirected to a podium off to the side. There were people boarding the bus and another line up of others (I'm guessing it depended on their hotel). Fast & friendly person took my info and sent me to the waiting bus. I indicated I could climb up the steps to the bus rather than use a lift. My scooter went under and I boarded the bus. TBH I didn't really LOOK at the decoration on the bus. I know it was a train - but I was more interested in not tripping up the stairs and if my room would be ready. The bus was exactly what I'd expect. Prior to departing a conductor boarded the bus blowing a train whistle. He made some jokes and told us the the name of our bus (I think it was supposed to be a fish? a whale?) - again, I was thinking about what I was going to do once I got to my hotel and honestly just wanted to be on the way. There were about 4 stops before arriving at the Coronado Springs Resort - and this gives points to Sunshine Flyer - the driver pulled around to the front entrance and immediately 2 cast members jumped up as if something terrible was happening. One RAN to the bus and told the driver that he must let me off at the designated bus stop and he would be "in trouble" if he allowed me to get off there. The driver explained that I had a scooter and it would take less than a minute. The cast member was like - "No. No. No way. You don't understand if we let one person do it others will" - I was a bit surprised but I completely understand they have rules so I thanked my driver and we went to the bus stop for shuttles. Though not far, I did have to cross an active 1 way road and really appreciated the drivers' attempt. (nice tip)
Returning from my trip became a bit complicated because.. I GOT COVID19! So, bear with me for a short off-topic explanation. I'm double vax'd and double boostered because I am immunocompromised - I wear an N95 mask in ALL indoor locations and close outdoor ones. On the 3rd day of my trip my throat felt sore and I felt more fatigued than usual. Thinking it was my CUZ (my travel planner who had me going early in the AM, etc) I figured I'd just nap it off. The next day was slightly worse so I did return to my hotel for a nap and pulled out a do it myself test. OMG . So at that point I started my 5 day ISOLATION at the Coronodovirus Springs Resort. (I took 5 days of PAXLOVID) Emailed Sunshine Flyer and was advised to contact them when I knew my departure and there'd be no issue. Did so the day before and reminded them I had a scooter but could stow that under the bus. Finally free from isolation I went to the bus stop - and realized that although it was covered, it was fairly hot but that wasn't an issue for me (it could be for others) - about 5 minutes before my appointed time a small black van pulled up - and the driver asked which bus I was awaiting - Sunshine Flyer.. yup. Unfortunately this plain black van didn't have a place for storing the scooter or any sort of lift. I completely would NOT have minded going in this vehicle. But I couldn't so she contacted her dispatch and they said they'd send a bus immediately. It turns out (she told me) she had a cancellation and contacted dispatch to see if there were any other people since her van was mostly empty and since she was right near me, they told her to get me. My bus with a lift came within 10 minutes. Again, zero complaints. My concern however is how they are going to stay afloat - or on track as this case is - I figure the bus would carry about 40 people - and there were a total of 5. Not sure how that can be sustainable in the long run. Maybe they can decorate the smaller vans - IDK - as I said the decoration wasn't the least bit important to me - but the service was excellent.

We used Sunshine Flyers to get to Pop Century from MCO yesterday and they were great. Our flight was changed after I booked so I emailed them a few days before and they got back to me very quickly updating our time and flight number. Then we were delayed 5 1/2 hrs on our arrival day, so when they texted me day off with my arrival info, I replied back with that information. They texted back not to worry that they had buses at the airport until 11:00pm (we were arriving around 8:00pm). When we arrived our luggage arrived really fast and then we headed down to the bus (it’s the completely opposite end from where Magical Express was) there was a bus waiting and we checked in and got right on. There were several families on the bus waiting. The driver helped with our luggage and was very friendly. We were the second stop. I would recommend them for sure.

We used Sunshine Flyers to get to Pop Century from MCO yesterday and they were great. Our flight was changed after I booked so I emailed them a few days before and they got back to me very quickly updating our time and flight number. Then we were delayed 5 1/2 hrs on our arrival day, so when they texted me day off with my arrival info, I replied back with that information. They texted back not to worry that they had buses at the airport until 11:00pm (we were arriving around 8:00pm). When we arrived our luggage arrived really fast and then we headed down to the bus (it’s the completely opposite end from where Magical Express was) there was a bus waiting and we checked in and got right on. There were several families on the bus waiting. The driver helped with our luggage and was very friendly. We were the second stop. I would recommend them for sure.
That's great.

Any clue how long the other families had been waiting?

Any idea of how many stops the bus made before/after Pop?

Have fun at WDW!

As a International Traveller how does it work with SF is the booking easy and like I seen people had issues mostly needed to email them and thankfully getting answers and adjustments for their needs.

Q) How can you pay the roundtrip have you to pay it with a Card or would they take cash there at Airport as well??? And did they mostly be on time for both ways, cuz can´t have issue on departure have to leave around 4 p.m. for my 8 p.m. flight and not earlier or later due to international guests should leave 4 hours before kinda sad way will be hectical in EPCOT at least hope can due til 2 p.m. before leaving to be around 3 p.m. in POP Resort again.

Q2) Since they are private Companies both like Mears as well they aren´t limited to on-site hotels. Is it really possible neighbour hotels would be some stops??? To can provided as well cuz don´t know how many hotels are on the way of POP except AOA with DME that was the only stop before Pop and nothing else.

There were rumors they adding UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOTELS as well but guessing they wouldn´t be such crazy mixing boths into stops.???

Q3) Since I will arriving around 6 p.m. could it be common to put into a smaller shuttle depending of course how many others would travel around that time but are they really kinda not so dependable of which Resorts they packing those buses????

Q4) If they want to take you with smaller vehicle I guess you don´t have to be feared to been upcharged they will not demand more Money????

Cuz isn´t our fault if they decide to put you into smaller vehicle instead of a Bus cuz like others already mentioned it isn´t much profitable for them using Buses on such smaller groups not in the long run would make senses.

DME was kinda much easier and better on that thing back than you had different lines for different Hotels Resort Destinations but okay don´t know if they did it different since January if it is also not sure if off-site Hotels could be possible stops into it but would guessed they would do it the DME Way only AOA before POP but not sure if that´s so simple with both of them and only of the situations at arrivals

Q5) Which of them is more reliable to take you the right departure time cuz read some had issues can´t get earlier taken or later need them to be reliable so which is more reliable and yes mears should have more experience so it could be them but who knows if they still care for us like they did with DME????

As a International Traveller how does it work with SF is the booking easy and like I seen people had issues mostly needed to email them and thankfully getting answers and adjustments for their needs.

Q) How can you pay the roundtrip have you to pay it with a Card or would they take cash there at Airport as well??? And did they mostly be on time for both ways, cuz can´t have issue on departure have to leave around 4 p.m. for my 8 p.m. flight and not earlier or later due to international guests should leave 4 hours before kinda sad way will be hectical in EPCOT at least hope can due til 2 p.m. before leaving to be around 3 p.m. in POP Resort again.

Q2) Since they are private Companies both like Mears as well they aren´t limited to on-site hotels. Is it really possible neighbour hotels would be some stops??? To can provided as well cuz don´t know how many hotels are on the way of POP except AOA with DME that was the only stop before Pop and nothing else.

There were rumors they adding UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOTELS as well but guessing they wouldn´t be such crazy mixing boths into stops.???

Q3) Since I will arriving around 6 p.m. could it be common to put into a smaller shuttle depending of course how many others would travel around that time but are they really kinda not so dependable of which Resorts they packing those buses????

Q4) If they want to take you with smaller vehicle I guess you don´t have to be feared to been upcharged they will not demand more Money????

Cuz isn´t our fault if they decide to put you into smaller vehicle instead of a Bus cuz like others already mentioned it isn´t much profitable for them using Buses on such smaller groups not in the long run would make senses.

DME was kinda much easier and better on that thing back than you had different lines for different Hotels Resort Destinations but okay don´t know if they did it different since January if it is also not sure if off-site Hotels could be possible stops into it but would guessed they would do it the DME Way only AOA before POP but not sure if that´s so simple with both of them and only of the situations at arrivals

Q5) Which of them is more reliable to take you the right departure time cuz read some had issues can´t get earlier taken or later need them to be reliable so which is more reliable and yes mears should have more experience so it could be them but who knows if they still care for us like they did with DME????
Q1) You can book online for round-trip service. Their payment is taken online at the time of booking. Sunshine Flyer says that they only accept reservations up to 4 days in advance, so I don't believe you can just walk up and book. Even if it is allowed, I highly doubt they'll take cash at the airport. I've taken both Mears and Sunshine Flyer and both seem to be relatively on time when headed back to the airport. Both also say that they pick up 4 hours prior to international flights. You'll receive an email the day before stating your pickup time.

Q2) Sunshine Flyer only serves the Disney owned resorts and Shades of Green. Mears does provide service to many of the off-site hotels in the Disney Springs and Bonnet Creek areas. Mears does technically serve Universal, but it's a different service so there should be no reason Universal and Disney get paired together on the same bus. In my experience, they tend to only mix resorts that are in the same general resort area. Regardless, the pickup time should be set to accommodate stops at other resorts and I haven't had an issue arriving to the airport on time.

Q3/Q4) The smaller shuttles really just depend on demand and driver availability. Ultimately you're paying for the same service, regardless of whether it's in a full sized bus or a large van. As long as you don't have a disability that requires a lift, your vehicle will simply be whatever they deem the best for that route at that given time of the day.

Q5) Like I said, I've taken both Sunshine Flyer and Mears and both have had their successes and hiccups since beginning operation earlier this year. I don't think that one is necessarily any more reliable than another one, the main difference really just comes down to what you're wanting. I do believe that Sunshine Flyer has a bit better customer service and theming (though I've found the theming to be rather inconsistent). The communication with Mears can be a little hit or miss at times, but the main benefit that offer is 24 hour buses, as Sunshine Flyer only operates from 4am-11pm daily.

Hopefully that helps answer your questions.

Q1) You can book online for round-trip service. Their payment is taken online at the time of booking. Sunshine Flyer says that they only accept reservations up to 4 days in advance, so I don't believe you can just walk up and book. Even if it is allowed, I highly doubt they'll take cash at the airport. I've taken both Mears and Sunshine Flyer and both seem to be relatively on time when headed back to the airport. Both also say that they pick up 4 hours prior to international flights. You'll receive an email the day before stating your pickup time.

Q2) Sunshine Flyer only serves the Disney owned resorts and Shades of Green. Mears does provide service to many of the off-site hotels in the Disney Springs and Bonnet Creek areas. Mears does technically serve Universal, but it's a different service so there should be no reason Universal and Disney get paired together on the same bus. In my experience, they tend to only mix resorts that are in the same general resort area. Regardless, the pickup time should be set to accommodate stops at other resorts and I haven't had an issue arriving to the airport on time.

Q3/Q4) The smaller shuttles really just depend on demand and driver availability. Ultimately you're paying for the same service, regardless of whether it's in a full sized bus or a large van. As long as you don't have a disability that requires a lift, your vehicle will simply be whatever they deem the best for that route at that given time of the day.

Q5) Like I said, I've taken both Sunshine Flyer and Mears and both have had their successes and hiccups since beginning operation earlier this year. I don't think that one is necessarily any more reliable than another one, the main difference really just comes down to what you're wanting. I do believe that Sunshine Flyer has a bit better customer service and theming (though I've found the theming to be rather inconsistent). The communication with Mears can be a little hit or miss at times, but the main benefit that offer is 24 hour buses, as Sunshine Flyer only operates from 4am-11pm daily.

Hopefully that helps answer your questions.
Additional Question would it be possible to book both getting from MCO with Mears Connect (and getting the sweet sunglass) and on the Departure Day booking sunshine flyers to mco???? will cost 33$ since you said they will not stop at off-sites so saver than mears that could have a lot of stops???

Or is that not possible to book with both????
Just from Resort to MCO with Sunshine and from MCO to WDW???

Last edited:
Additional Question would it be possible to book both getting from MCO with Mears Connect (and getting the sweet sunglass) and on the Departure Day booking sunshine flyers to mco???? will cost 33$ since you said they will not stop at off-sites so saver than mears that could have a lot of stops???

Yes, it's definitely possible. We did it for our Jan/Feb trip.

As above, yes, you can book one-way trips with both services.

Just to let you know…. I used Mears Connect round trip in March and there were no sunglasses given to anyone.

Just to let you know…. I used Mears Connect round trip in March and there were no sunglasses given to anyone.
But they still post the arrival Souvenir (that Sunglass) but maybe on your trip they were run out of supply. But also entertainment and a Bus and since some People seems to had no TV Screen turned on or limited stops more a lot of stops not sure with them. For someone that runned DME you should expect to know to run the System but unfortunately it is problematic don´t know why they kinda messing up sometimes at least.

So would you suggest taking Sunshine Flyers than cuz they stop only at on-sites at the Moment????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts