"stuck" in disney from nj?

My mom isn't stuck in Disney, but she is stuck in Phoenix trying to get home to NJ..I don't think she should be in a rush though, my Dad is home and there is damage and no power for at least 10 more days.

I got stuck in PA trying to return to FL the day after Wilma hit & it was pretty stressful so I can relate. I hope everything is A-OK at home when you get there!

My heart goes out to everyone in our Dis-Community directly or indirectly (family and friends) affected by Hurricane Sandy.

I live in DE, and our coastline fared better than most and we just had an unpleasant couple of days; never lost electric or cable. We will bounce back fairly quickly for next summer's tourist season, but NJ and NY did not fare as well.

Where do you even start?

I am glad that you are stuck somewhere where you know that everything is okay and you can take your mind off of it for a bit of time.

OP, I don't know where you are from in NJ, but I can almost guarantee that you are better off where you are right now!. It is a MESS up here. You can't find gas, power is out everywhere, and if you're not blocked in by a tree, you're blocked in by flood water. Just try and relax and enjoy. By the time you get home, things will ease up and be better. This can't last forever.

We are leaving for Disney on Monday. I'm hoarding a half tank of gas to get us to EWR, which is up and running today (thank goodness!). I have NEVER needed a vacation quite so badly, I think.....

Best wishes to you! Have you been able to talk to people at home to know the state of your house and neighborhood? I can't imagine being out of town during the storm and not knowing how things are at home...

While Disney sounds like a great place to be stranded, being stuck at Disney for another unplanned week is sure costly! Are you staying at a resort? I know if this happened to us, we likely wouldn't be able to afford to stay at the same resort and buy more park tickets to "extend" the vacation.

Hope you make it home safely and quickly!

I agree with you 100%. DH and I were just talking about this. I would love to be "stuck" at WDW and work-wise, they'd understand, but it would certainly be using up vacation time I had hoped to use throughout other parts of the year. And ... the cost. Depending on how long I am stuck, I'm not sure I could afford to stay, play and eat at Disney. I wonder how understanding they are about extending park hoppers for instance. Or would they make you start over? I wouldn't expect Disney to do me any favors, but just extending a park hopper would be a savings.

To the OP, I hope you make it back safely and your home, friends and family are safe. I haven't read the whole thread (yet) so maybe you've addressed the status of your home.

True, but if you live in an area that was hit hard by Sandy, you might be anxious to get home and make sure everything is ok with your property, loved ones etc.

We live in RI and our coast is a mess. It's very, very sad to see places you love destroyed. We were scheduled to depart Orlando yesterday, but took SWA's offer to rebook at no charge and extended to today. Just arrived home about 3 hrs ago.....

I agree with this 100%. We just got power back and we still have several uprooted trees on our street. Not at all the worst that has happened, but I feel for the OP with wanting to get home. Disney is a great place to be but probably not so much when all you can think about is making sure your home and community are safe.

Also not being able to fly home for an extra 8 days is more than a "delay" in my opinion!

When the tornados blew through east of DFW last spring I was at work. It hit my subarb but the news/internet/radio didn't mention exactly which neighborhoods/communities. I waited the storm out and headed home. I WAS A NERVOUS WRECK driving home. Dealing with the UNKNOWN is hard! I prayed all the way home. My knuckles were white, my heart was beating fast, I was having anxiety attacks and I was coming undone. About 2/3 of the way home God spoke to me and said it was OK. I finally relaxed.

So in just those 3-4 hours my emotions were all over the place. OP I'm Praying for your and your family. May the peace and strength of God keep you during this time.

We flew into PHL yesterday at 1:50. No problems, our flight was actually early. Anyway you can fly into PHL and drive up?

Or fly into Atlantic City, I think I read their air port is ok. It's off shore a bit. I also thought I read here that Trenton has flights direct to and from Orlando.

We were just "stuck" in Disney and returned at 2am. Our original flight on Sunday was cancelled (after out luggage was already at the airport). The airline re-booked our flight for Tuesday, cancelled again and re-re-booked for last night via Atlanta. I agree that there could be worse places to be "stuck" but being "stuck" in Disney adds up FAST :eek:! We ended up borrowing points to stay (DVC), using DH additional vacation days and emg fund $$$ to pay for food but could not add days to our YES park tickets (they would not allow it). We were not in a position to buy 5 2-day tickets so we took advantage of monorail rides, swimming for the kids, checking out other resorts and hidden mickey treasure hunts for 3 days. Not an awful way to end a fabulous vacation but certainly not my first choice -- too much stress.
OP, I hope you get home soon and safe. :thumbsup2

Hello - thanks for all the kind wishes. We are now booked on a flight for Friday night - fingers crossed. We know we are going home to no power, gas lines, etc. But that is where we need to be. Disney has been excellent in helping us - they were very understanding. Our family is safe so that eases our minds a bit. We did make the best of our extra time here but our thoughts were home. I hope to post from NJ tomorrow night :goodvibes

True, but if you live in an area that was hit hard by Sandy, you might be anxious to get home and make sure everything is ok with your property, loved ones etc.
^^^ This!!! Some people need to get out of their little Disney dream world(oooh, I would love to be stuck in WDW for a few extra days), and try to put yourselves in the shoes of someone from the areas hit hardest by the storm who are trying to get back home.

Hello - thanks for all the kind wishes. We are now booked on a flight for Friday night - fingers crossed. We know we are going home to no power, gas lines, etc. But that is where we need to be. Disney has been excellent in helping us - they were very understanding. Our family is safe so that eases our minds a bit. We did make the best of our extra time here but our thoughts were home. I hope to post from NJ tomorrow night :goodvibes

That's great news! Make sure to charge your phones, laptops, and other electronics before you leave. I'd even try to pick up one of those battery life extenders that you plug into your phone. Maybe there's one on WDW property or you could always get one in the airport. Hope all goes well. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, friends, and other victims of this storm. Try to keep us updated and stay safe!:hug:

I'm anxiously awaiting the news that you got home ok and that your area wasn't hard hit. Please, please let us know as soon as you can, ok. Warm thoughts are with you! :lovestruc

Well today is Friday. I hope you have made it home safely. I hope all is well where you have gone to too! I know it is total mess up there in many places. I have 99% of my family in NY. Just me and my sister live in FL, and my DD is in Hawaii. My family live in Westchester and Putnam. My cousin works for ConEd (elec company) and he has told my aunt that there are many places that he has seen where it is a total mess. My heart goes out to all of you guys who are up there. I do know what it is like to deal with it living down here and going thru hurricanes myself. Hope you update us on your trip home.. and sorry you had to extend your stay in FL. I know while Disney is fun, there are times you just have to get home. :goodvibes

I can't encourage everyone enough to turn on NBC (or any NBCUniversal network) to watch the Telethon, as it serves as a great way to donate and help out in any way possible if you can. Not to turn this into a joking matter (it is nowhere remotely close to that at all), but do it for Phineas & Ferb (Tri-State area?). Seriously, anything you can.

Just watching it has brought my wife to tears and me almost. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims particularly our fellow DISers. May you all remain safe through this.

Just remember that "it is always all right in the end, and if it is not all right it is not yet the end."

By the way, for TrueBlue members, jetBlue is giving donors 6 TRUEBLUE points for every dollar donated. Just an FYI.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with all victims (especially all the DISers).:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter