Stroller for a 7 and 9 year old?

Is it crazy to rent a stroller for a 7 and 9 year old? We are going to DW for 1 week at the end of Feb and I am trying to decide. I like the idea of having a place to store stuff and not have to carry stuff all the time. Won't need it all the time but for eating on the go and at night I think it would be nice. Thoughts? Thank you.

I think it is crazy (barring a mobility need/disability). To me it's not about if the kids can walk or will look like babies or anything-I won't judge you.

It's crazy because:
1) You have to push a stroller. It is tiring.
2) It is difficult to navigate a double stroller through crowds. (or even a single one if that is what you get)
3) You have to find stroller parking-waste of time.
4) You are going to rent a stroller and waste money.
5) You talk about it as storage, but it is not secure storage. Things can get stolen/damaged

What do you need to store for a 7 and 9 year old? A purse/small backpack can fit everything you should need and everyone carry a water bottle. I don't understand the food issue. You can fit a few granola bars in your purse, or a stroller rental fee can buy quite a few snacks in the park. If you want to store your meal or a change of clothes, rent a locker.

Also, do you have really skinny children? Can most strollers handle the weight of a 7 or 9 year old?

My son (6) was sick at Disneyland last year (not horribly but enough to be quite run down and not his usual self) and I offered to rent him a stroller and he kind of looked at me like I had three heads. No way would he have ridden in a stroller!!

My kids are small... like circus freak small.

My 9 year old weighs 42 lbs! They made it fine without a stroller. We just went at a slower pace. We did rent a stroller through Disney for 1 MNSSHP we went to because my 7 year old was dehydrated and had gotten sick that morning. She napped and slugged down a bunch of water/gatorade and felt fine, but I didn't want her to overexert herself since we had the Villains Mix and Mingle ($$$).

I think you're kids will be fine. We just told our kids that if they started complaining about their legs and feet or whatever that we'd head back to the hotel - but would you rather be at the hotel sitting around or suck it up, have some fun in the parks, and then rest your feet in the evening when everything is done? They chose wisely :lmao:

I have a 7 year old and until someone in another thread suggested it, I had no idea people even used strollers for kids that old. I think it's crazy. When was the last time you used one in everyday life? Will your kids be willing to sit in one? Are you willing to push it? I would have each of your kids carry a small bag with their things in it. Or pay for a locker. I just can't imagine using a stroller for kids that old unless their is a physical need....I would need a stroller after a couple hours pushing that thing.

I wouldn't use one for a child that age in every day life. But in every day life kids typically don't walk miles and miles each day, for multiple days in a row.

No stroller. My kids would be mortified and, after so many trips without - it is so much more preferable. No need to find parking, I bring WAY less stuff.

If my kids get tired of walking - grab a bench or a curb for 15 minutes. Never fails!

I wouldn't use one for a child that age in every day life. But in every day life kids typically don't walk miles and miles each day, for multiple days in a row.

That's an interesting observation, but could we not say the same thing for many adults that go too? It seems the prudent thing to do for adults and kids that are walking more than they normally do is to slow the pace down, take breaks, and adjust touring styles to accommodate.

Sure we all get tired and kids legs are shorter than ours. I used to say that I should be the one in the stroller and they should push me. I used the stroller more to keep a young child safe while I was exercising or shopping.

I am in the crowd of no strollers for those ages. Unless they have some sort of physical limitation, or chronic health condition.

That's an interesting observation, but could we not say the same thing for many adults that go too? It seems the prudent thing to do for adults and kids that are walking more than they normally do is to slow the pace down, take breaks, and adjust touring styles to accommodate.

Maybe. I know I am on my feet walking almost constantly at work.

Keep in mind too that for every step and adult takes a child often has to take 2. So they are walking twice as far as the adult.

While it may be prudent to you to slow down and take breaks, many families don't chose to do so. If they want to use a stroller so that they don't have to have a slow touring style, more power to them I say. Each family should do what works for them. And not feel peer pressured into giving up the stroller before they really want to.

That is why for me this is a do what works for your family thing, and not what works for other people's family. No one should be made to feel as if they are touring the parks wrong, whether they use a stroller or don't.

Crazy? Matter of opinion. Necessary? Well, only you can answer that. I will say that our kids will be 7 and 9 when we go and there are no plans for a stroller during our visit. I don't plan on doing some "walk 'til you drop" touring style. I think breaking up the walking with rides, rest stops and snacks, meals, shows, parades, etc. will give them more than enough time to rest. Plus we're planning a day of mostly downtime in the middle to give us all a break from running around and a chance to just lounge at the pool. So if you find you want to get one, you can, but unless other circumstances warrant (i.e. medical reasons), I don't think that your two will need one. You can always play it by ear and plan to rent one if the touring proves to be too much for them.

I'll be honest and say that our trip last year was MY first trip to Disney and after reading these boards about walking miles and miles I was nervous...unnecessarily. We walked more than on a typical day but you stand in lines...if the lines are long kids can sit down on the ground, then you sit for the ride/show. It's just very broken up, not like you are constantly walking with no breaks (unless you only plan on walking around the parks and not eating/riding/watching/snacking) There is only a time or two that I can remember that we sat down for a break that wasn't an attraction or meal.

I really think this is each family's own decision also what if the family wants to stay together but your kids have different paces? I think a stroller would be preferable for us then one parent being back at the hotel for half the day while the other one stays in the park with the more energized child. I know that works for some families but for us we really like to stay together. Also since for many families Disney is a once or twice in a lifetime trip they should do what is going to work best. I know we didn't do the afternoon breaks excluding one day on our last trip and it worked great for us. I would find a stroller a lot less hassle then leaving the parks each day.
Some kids are simply better at walking all day long then other kids. My two year old does better then my four year old and when we go out there are times that she's walking and holding onto the stroller while he's riding in it.
At seven and nine I would talk to them and find out how they feel since like some people mentioned they may not even want a stroller. Also I would assume if you're renting one in the parks you can decide later in the day if you need it. I would also think a single that they could alternate riding in would be the most you'd need but obviously you know your kids best.

I have a 7 year old and a 9 year old and there is no way my 9 y.o. would need a stroller. My 7 y.o. has a genetic syndrome and has a medical stroller, but that is a rather different situation.

I really think this is each family's own decision also what if the family wants to stay together but your kids have different paces? I think a stroller would be preferable for us then one parent being back at the hotel for half the day while the other one stays in the park with the more energized child. I know that works for some families but for us we really like to stay together. Also since for many families Disney is a once or twice in a lifetime trip they should do what is going to work best. I know we didn't do the afternoon breaks excluding one day on our last trip and it worked great for us. I would find a stroller a lot less hassle then leaving the parks each day.
Some kids are simply better at walking all day long then other kids. My two year old does better then my four year old and when we go out there are times that she's walking and holding onto the stroller while he's riding in it.
At seven and nine I would talk to them and find out how they feel since like some people mentioned they may not even want a stroller. Also I would assume if you're renting one in the parks you can decide later in the day if you need it. I would also think a single that they could alternate riding in would be the most you'd need but obviously you know your kids best.

I am perplexed that my original quote is being used in the context of a stroller vs non-stroller debate and what is best for families? For clarity sake my comment was that if you find yourself and your family (i.e. kids, adults, grandparents, etc.) sans stroller that the prudent advice would be to "adapt/adjust" to the amount of walking your will need to do so as not to drive you and your family into the ground.

Is it crazy to rent a stroller for a 7 and 9 year old? We are going to DW for 1 week at the end of Feb and I am trying to decide. I like the idea of having a place to store stuff and not have to carry stuff all the time. Won't need it all the time but for eating on the go and at night I think it would be nice. Thoughts? Thank you.

Not crazy at all, taking the things we need, plus young ones just want to rest their legs as we plow forward. I would get one of the single joggers as the kids are going to run about a lot. It's there when they need it. It saves your back and if the 7 yr old crashes you don't have to carry him out. Dad will appreciate that.

I can't understand people judging when they have not been there with the things we like to take for our family, then with a 7 yr old exhausted.

My experience was different. I borrowed a double from a friend so I didn't have to pay. I have(had...she's officially 2 today!) a 1 year old. So it was great having it for our trip. We took extra shoes and jackets and one backpack that we put in the other seat.

We didn't take breaks most days outside the park as they took too long. We rope dropped and closed the parks and at the end there were a couple times my kids 7 and 6 were in the stroller.

I don't think I "needed" it for them. But it was nice to have like when we needed them to rest between HS close and MK EMH hours until 1:00 am!

By day 6 they were in it a lot! We all had to sit on the ground in the line for talking Mickey. We wore ourselves completely out!

It was our first trip, we didn't think we'd be going back and I don't regret one second of having that stroller and not slowing down!

They don't ride in a stroller at home. They pull their sister in a wagon all the time. They weren't mortified. They are super active at home, but 12 hour days are long! It was our first trip.

Ask them what they want! Unless you said it's a surprise. :)

I wouldn't. DD (6) & I went in September stroller free and she was fine - even for our 12 hour MK day. She will have a stroller to use this summer since e'll rent a double to use for DS (2) & DD can hop in if we need to get somewhere quickly.

Not crazy at all, taking the things we need, plus young ones just want to rest their legs as we plow forward. I would get one of the single joggers as the kids are going to run about a lot. It's there when they need it. It saves your back and if the 7 yr old crashes you don't have to carry him out. Dad will appreciate that.

I can't understand people judging when they have not been there with the things we like to take for our family, then with a 7 yr old exhausted.

If you rent at the parks, you cannot take the stroller out of the park, so a sleeping child would still need to be carried out. If you rent one offsite, you have to fold it and carry it on to the bus, with the sleeping child. If you use a car, then you have to fold the stroller to get on the tram, or walk all the way to your vehicle.

I think it is crazy (barring a mobility need/disability). To me it's not about if the kids can walk or will look like babies or anything-I won't judge you. It's crazy because: 1) You have to push a stroller. It is tiring. 2) It is difficult to navigate a double stroller through crowds. (or even a single one if that is what you get) 3) You have to find stroller parking-waste of time. 4) You are going to rent a stroller and waste money. 5) You talk about it as storage, but it is not secure storage. Things can get stolen/damaged What do you need to store for a 7 and 9 year old? A purse/small backpack can fit everything you should need and everyone carry a water bottle. I don't understand the food issue. You can fit a few granola bars in your purse, or a stroller rental fee can buy quite a few snacks in the park. If you want to store your meal or a change of clothes, rent a locker. Also, do you have really skinny children? Can most strollers handle the weight of a 7 or 9 year old?

I think this response sums up my thoughts perfectly!

When my kids were 2 and 6 I rented a city elite single stroller that had a 75lb capacity in the seat incase my 6 year old needed some time in it. He had used a stroller quite a bit at disney and even in real life when he was 4-6years old. He needed it occasionally (he didnt always agree he needed it - but we knew he needed a pre-meltdown rest).

When he was 7, I offered him 10$ a day if he didnt use a stroller AND didnt whine. This became his spending money there. If he whined, it would cost him 5$ and I would use that to rent a stroller (15$ for the day). It worked great (some tough moments but we made it thru!).

I would definitely not suggest a double - if you really need one - get a single - only one kid will ride at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter